• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Pond - Greninja General Discussion

Greninja'd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Asianbanana
3DS FC
0645-5951-1667
So, uh, does anyone want to play against my Greninja and give a few tips on how to improve?

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I have :4mario: as a secondary, but really, I end up playing Greninja 90% of the time anyway, so I think my problem might be just being unable to not use the frog. He's just too fun to play with.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
I feel the need to play a lot of characters and I don't think it hinders me too much. I still play Greninja more than anyone though.
Mains: :4greninja::4yoshi::4zelda::substitute:
Submains: :4pikachu::4drmario::4sonic::4charizard:
Interested in: :4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword::4lucario::4bowser::4sheik::4dk::4ness::4gaw::4ganondorf:

It's Mewtwo hiding behind that Substitute hehe

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
For me it's pretty much;

Want to main; :4miigun:

But can't because of of how they are currently handled in rule-sets

So currently actually main; :4greninja:

Has me greatly intrigued (as in possible contenders for secondary/pocket status); :4jigglypuff::4charizard::4villager::4pikachu::4sheik::4darkpit::4ness::4lucario:

Side interest (as in will only play in friendlies/silly matches to keep things fresh); :4palutena::4falcon::4marth::4lucina::4ganondorf::4falco::4samus::4shulk::4robinm::4ludwig::4littlemac::4drmario::4myfriends::4miisword::4megaman::4bowser::substitute:

:substitute: = random

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I guess we're just doing this now.

Main: :rosalina:

Secondary: :4greninja:, kind of :4dedede: but it's becoming increasingly apparent to me that I'm only playing him because I like Dedede as a character and not because I like his playstyle so he's been gradually dropping off (still technically my most played character though)

Want to play as, suck as, but haven't given up hope: :4metaknight:

Wanted to play as, sucked as, gave up hope: :4jigglypuff::4luigi::4yoshi::4robinf::4myfriends::4roy::4lucario::4palutena::4sheik::4zelda::4bowser::4drmario::4falco::4fox:

Might enjoy but haven't tried yet: :4ganondorf::4olimar::4ness:

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Main: :4myfriends:

Secondaries: :4greninja: :4ganondorf: :4marth: :4sheik:

I find that :4myfriends: is an incredible ally with :4greninja:. :4myfriends: can face off against characters that :4greninja: can't KO, or characters that can punish :4greninja:, such as :4bowser: or :4falcon:. :4greninja: on the other hand can beat projectile characters that would give :4myfriends: trouble otherwise, such as :4samus: or :4link:. :4marth: can also fulfill the same roles that :4myfriends: could, and :4sheik: could also substitute :4greninja:.

So I just learned how to SHFF and good god my :4greninja: has improved immensely. My approaches are far better and I can now mix up my offense more efficiently. My combos are now extremely flexible and consistent. Even though :4sheik: is the better character overall, my :4greninja: is better and I have far more fun playing as him. My next hurdle to overcome is edge-guarding consistently. What are some way to improve on this?

D

Deleted member

My two mains::4greninja::4metaknight:

In the process of learning her and getting decent results so far. For campy matches, I use::rosalina:. Might even consider her a third main.

Thought about picking up:4sheik: as well, but I already play enough characters as is.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Anyone been watching the Twitch Plays Pokemon anniversary run? I haven't felt like watching/participating ever since I woke up because a certain set of somethings happened. I'm just tuning in to the live updater every now and then until someone interesting and hopefully positive happens.

EDIT: Aaand they just released Kakuna and Venonat and the new party has 3 Digletts + Onix. I'm done for today lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Anniversary? It's already been a year since TPP? Man, time sure does fly...

I'll tune in later to see the craziness, haha.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
My signature shows my mains for this game.
(For those on mobile, :4drmario::4greninja::4sheik:)

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Good news: I can consistently hit Kirby with a SHFF F-Air now.

Bad News: Input lags still ruins it and I still forget to short hop a lot during real matches.

D

Deleted member

I've been practicing those as well and although I'm not quite perfect at it yet, I see myself executing them a lot in real matches. One thing I can't always do though are B-reverse water shurikens. Instead of water shurikens, I'll get shadow sneak instead lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
I've been messing around with customs :4myfriends: in training the last couple of days myself. I can't play Ike at all, but man his customs are cool.
Same here, given i can play Ike, it helps. Aether Drive is taking some getting used to, but definitely helps with going in deep to edge guard. Body Blow Side Special helps for approaching without getting punished, although it's not as good Horizontally recovering (but Aether Drive helps that), im sticking with Normal Eruption and Counter though. I haven't noticed the disgustingly long hitbox for Furious Eruption concerning edge guardnig, and Tempest...Its ok i guess, i figured the stall in the air would be better though. I'd love to show anyone my Ike if they're interested in fighting me. : 3

As for mains:

Main: NOW IT'S :4shulk: TIME! Also, :4bowser:

Secondaries: :4fox: , :4myfriends: , :4marth:/:4lucina: , :4lucario: , :4ness: , :4peach: , :4pit: (ive been neglecting him lately though), :4robinm: (neglect too), :4zss:

Pocket Characters/Characters im practicing and getting better with/Chars. i use in friendlies for fun but not competitively:
:4charizard: , :4falcon: , :4falco: , :4ganondorf: , :4greninja: , :4littlemac: , :4mario: , :4link: (pocket, although i haven't touched him in ages), :4palutena: , :4pikachu: (sort of pocket, haven't used him much), :4sheik: , :4tlink: , :4wiifit:

So overall i can use 25 characters for sure, with a few i haven't listed that i think i have a good grasp on using (like mii fighters, and :4wario: for example).

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Since we still seem to be on this:

My Main: :4greninja:
Sidekicks, I also use these guys in tournaments: :4sonic::4megaman::4duckhunt::4pacman:
Pockets, I'm still learning them but suck at them: :4robinf::4shulk::4yoshi::4palutena::4pit:
Exclusively in friendlies and wouldn't use in a tournament: :4bowserjr::4bowser::4charizard::4ness::rosalina::4diddy::4falco::4marth:/:4lucina:

I used to have Lucina as my tertiary and played her a lot during the time of the 3DS version, but after the Wii U hit I Play her a lot less often now. Mostly because I like other characters better now like Mega Man.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
My definite mains are: :4lucina:, :4metaknight:, and eventually
(who I main in every game available).
Tentative mains are: :4sonic:, :rosalina:, :4greninja:, and :4lucario: (Still debating specifically between :4greninja: and :4lucario:)
Secondaries: :4marth:, :4robinm:, :4shulk:, and :4luigi:
Any mains I turn down will become secondaries.
PS: I know, I probably have too many mains. XD
EDIT: Of course, you can easily see this all in my sig, but whatevs. :p

Last edited:

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
So this Conquest mode - what exactly is it?

I did a random FG match today and when I picked Greninja, I got this message that said 'Contributing to Conquest' and when I won, I contributed 6 points. What does it all mean? o.O

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
So this Conquest mode - what exactly is it?

I did a random FG match today and when I picked Greninja, I got this message that said 'Contributing to Conquest' and when I won, I contributed 6 points. What does it all mean? o.O
Basically it's a popularity contest in FG to see which selected characters of the weeks conquests are used the most. If you happen to have contributed to the one group(and only one, i think it nulls the prize you get if you contribute to multiple groups) that wins this conquest, you'll get prizes like equipment and gold. That's about it really.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
So this started off as a PM for a friend explaining why I like my mains, but turned onto a full blown essay on how Ike and Greninja have great synergy. This is in no way a character analysis, rather just how two character work together. What do you guys think? Is there any flaws, incorrect facts, or information I missed otherwise?

Ike and Greninja form and an amazing competitive core. Ike possess an amazing defensive metagame, while Greninja utilizes an unique offensive style. While these two characters have some weakness individually, their partner can cover them and brings out their full potential.

Ike is the epitome of defense. Ike has long-lasting hit-boxes, large range and disjoint, high KO power, and heavy weight. Ike's aerials come out fast and last long, which prevents opponents from approaching carelessly. Ike easily place opponents into a bad position above him with D-tilt and U-throw. Once the opponent is above Ike, he can apply fantastic pressure with U-tilt, U-smash, Eruption, and Aether. Ike can also edge-guard well with F-air and Eruption.

Ike does have his flaws. Due to his lack of projectile, Ike does fair poorly against zoning characters such as Samus and Link. Their vast array of projectiles allow them to pressure Ike without risk of being pressured themselves.

Greninja is a bizarre character. Despite being a rush-down character, he plays very different from other rush-down characters, such as Sheik and Sonic. Greninja has to commit more to his attacks, while similar characters don't have to. To offset this, Greninja can KO far easier than other rush-down characters, with moves such his smash attacks, F-air, Water Shuriken, and Substitute. Greninja also has a few unorthodox moves that can mix-up his offense. Shadow Sneak can catch an opponent off-guard and can be used out of shield. D-air resets itself once it connects with a hurt-box, meaning that it'll bounce of shields and characters, making it hard to parry.

Despite all these advantages, his commitment to attacks means that Greninja is at a a disadvantage against other rush-down characters, who weave in and out of Greninja's space. They can attack when an opening is presented before Greninja can respond.

Greninja compliments Ike due to how well he can handle zoning character. While Ike has a disadvantage against zoning characters due to his lack of projectiles, Greninja thrives against them. Greninja's speed allows him to rush down zoning characters before they can deploy their projectiles and easily invade the opponent’s space. Once there, Greninja can use his strong combo game to devastate the opponent. If the opponent manages to create space, Greninja can also use Water Shuriken to continue to apply pressure from afar.

In the same way Greninja compliments Ike, Ike support Greninja by dealing with rush-down characters. Ike can pressure rush-down characters with his large range and KO power while withstanding attacks due to his heavy weight. His long-lasting attacks prevent the opponent from invading Ike’s space. However, Ike can easily invade the opponents space with his large, disjointed range. If Ike gets caught in a combo, Ike can easily shake off the opponent with Counter.

Ike and Greninja have an amazing synergy together. Ike's large range, KO power, and weight allow him to take on characters that would give Greninja trouble. Greninja can use his speed, bizarre qualities, and flexibility to beat characters that Ike might not. By pairing up characters with opposite qualities, you can use each character to a greater capacity.

Last edited:

Kite0692

Smash Journeyman
Sooo...guys...I finally got a Wii u. Started training and already got some useful things (things I haven't seen anywhere) I want to share:

- First of all, In battlefield, Greninja can Utilt - Uair (fast fall over the high platform) - Uair again, as a true combo. Some characters can get killed by the top. I did it against Mario (63% before utilt).

- Around 130%, If charizard uses side B, you can punish it rolling towards him and using jump-inmediate-Dair (Don't know how to call it). You can follow up the dair with a falling Uair Spike (guaranteed).
You can do things like: Dair, Uair, Dtilt, Fair (guaranteed). You can hit him with Dtilt before he touches the floor after the Uair, and Dtilt to Fair I think is guaranteed. Another option to punish would be Dair to Shadow Sneak (If he doesn't DI away, which can be used in real battle since no one would DI away in that high %). You can use Dair to Fair too.

-Something curious I was testing was the difference between using Dair OoS when you were hit on shield and when you were not. Somebody try that and let me know. Everytime I used Dair OoS without been hit :4greninja:did it right away, but when I was hit (for example: when someone attacks while grabbing the ledge) on shield and used it he jumped way higher.

Anyway, I think Dair OoS can be a decent option when getting hit on shield, tell me what you think.

Oh and another nice detail about punishing Charizard's side B, which is my favorite: Around 92-100% (do not remember exact %) you can roll towards charizard after a shielded side B and use Dtilt. Since you lose control of the character while falling after hitting charizard's side B, everytime you roll toward's him you will be almost at the exact same distance always. If you use Dtilt right after the roll you will hit him right before he touches the floor and you can follow up to a guaranteed UpSmash, and it kills! (120% after the Usmash I think it was).

PD: I tested it with a human, not the cpu, lol.

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
Oh yes, dtilt into upsmash is the best! I've been finding that the dtilt doesn't flow into a sweetspot usmash on heavies until after 100% though. Could be just that I'm not doing it fast enough.

Kace Mono

Smash Cadet
Oh yes, dtilt into upsmash is the best! I've been finding that the dtilt doesn't flow into a sweetspot usmash on heavies until after 100% though. Could be just that I'm not doing it fast enough.
Dtilt is the move i use most in my play. It sets up into so much, its quick, and i just find it too useful to not use every single opportunity i get.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
I really wish his f-tilt had some more usage, at least for some shield pushback or something. Like I try to mix up my jabs into f-tilt, and I'm trying to pressure their shield, but then I realize I have better options. I don't know, I'm just one of those weird people who like to try to make use of every move, but f-tilt has been lackluster so far.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Good lord. D-tilt is amazing. Combos into and from N-air. Shieldstabs, pokes, setups. One of Greninja's best moves. Use it.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I'm 95% sure it can't combo into nair, it barely combos into bair/usmash and those moves are a ton faster than nair is.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Yeah so far, my followups from dtilt have been any of the following, fair, upsmash, up angled ftilt/buffered jab (lol at early percentage). I should try rar bair sometime though, hm.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
His Ftilt is meant to be a quick spacing tool but is generally out-classed by his Jab when it comes down to it.

Dtilt is a bit overrated in all honesty. It has some good combo/string potential but getting a hit with it is easier said then done due to its range, at least against a smart player.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
His Ftilt is meant to be a quick spacing tool but is generally out-classed by his Jab when it comes down to it.

Dtilt is a bit overrated in all honesty. It has some good combo/string potential but getting a hit with it is easier said then done due to its range, at least against a smart player.
That's where mixing up comes in. I personally like to d-tilt after a jab or two, as such. Shields are so iffy in this game, so it's a decent poke imo. But yes, the range is very short and forces you to be up close rather than playing at mid-range.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
aMSa made a combo video guys, updating all of you both here and our video thread because it's aMSa :]

Looks like there's some mixed comments about whether or not that's his Greninja in the video, since most of the stuff is the collection of the Vines gifs, but still pretty neat nonetheless.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
It's not aMSa's Greninja, at least for the most part.

Looks like D-Throw -> U-Air Spike is a pretty good alternative to D-Throw > Shadow Sneak when offstage.

It seems we really have to incorporate footstools and using D-Air to force get-ups in our gameplay, the potential with it is really great.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
It's not aMSa's Greninja, at least for the most part.

Looks like D-Throw -> U-Air Spike is a pretty good alternative to D-Throw > Shadow Sneak when offstage.

It seems we really have to incorporate footstools and using D-Air to force get-ups in our gameplay, the potential with it is really great.
I'm aware. He states in the video, giving credit to various Greninja players, including Lea. Least from what I understood.

Anyway, getting the technicalities with this character isn't easy when your reaction time and/or inputs are whack, like mine.

Top Bottom