• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The people who made the stages for Brawl needs to be fired.

Pony

Smash Apprentice
fired from making brawl?
i don't think they're still making brawl

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
I agree with Pork City, but we're looking at it from a competitve stance, maybe those stages are super fun at a casual level.

I still love free for alls on Temple. >_<

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Temple is awesome in FFA's. New Pork City can be fun in FFA at a casual level; some friends of mine enjoy fighting over who can get eaten three times by the chimera first. It's actually pretty hilarious.

And Brawl wasn't really designed with competitive play at heart; that doesn't make them any money. It's when anyone off the street wants to play, and levels with factors that "even" the playing field, like New Pork City (or the Fish on Summit) makes it so anybody can win and promotes more people playing and liking it. Same with the waaaay overpowered items.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Brawl has a wide array of diverse and interesting stages such as Delfino Plaza, PictoChat, Pokemon Stadium 2, and Norfair. The fact that a few stinkers such as Hanenbow slipped by shouldn't bother you too much; Melee had such great stages as Venom, Mushroom Kingdom I, and Brinstar Depths that were neither fun nor even close to balanced so really were just awful. Even Smash 64 had the completely awful Yoshi stage (which returned in Melee for reasons unknown).

TheBlossomingLily

Stitchface King
NNID
BlossomingLily
3DS FC
1736-0702-8981
Hyrule Temple and New Pork City are perfect for Taunt Partying~

Brawl was mostly made as a party/playtime game anyway, it's not like Nintendo was all like "Oh! They like playing competitionally! Let's make all the stages in the next Super Smash Bros. ultra even so we can have epic and fair matches lololol". <_<

AceAttacker

Smash Cadet
For more competetive players, those are usually pretty bad stages.
But for a casual player who just plays the game with his friends, it'd probably be pretty fun to launch his friends into that thing's mouth and watch them fly off the stage.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Whoever made the Donkey Kong Stages should have been fired. If the stage committe for Brawl back in 2007 was like Congress I have no idea how the DK stages made it out of the House and Senate and then didn't get vetoed by the President. The DK stages must have been pork-barreled or something.

Rumble Falls is horrible. It's a boring stage and if the designer was going to have a scroll up stage he/she/it should have had Toxic Tower from DKC2 for the SNES. Seriously rumble falls? That's so generic. Toxic Tower was an epic, challenging level. It wouldn't have to replicate it even 40% because of how the walls and contraptions were but at least something close to it. Perhaps even Slime Climb if not Toxic Tower. It would be challenging trying to avoid the Lockjaw lurking beneath the water underneath the smashers. There would be no zingers/Kannons or other DK enemies that would interupt the match; but they could be in the background.

75M is a cool concept but there's too many obstacles in the way. Instead of brawling I'm finding myself watching springs/flames and then watching my footing and spacing on a very large stage.

At least Jungle Japes was kept. That's a good stage; but nothing new was outstanding.

Other than the Donkey Kong stages the rest of Brawl is very good. Who doesn't like Battlefield/Luigi's Mansion/Delfino/Castle Siege and a whole list of other awsome stages? There are a few I don't like such as Hannonbow but I can get over that. For as much of a legend as Donkey Kong is that series should have got better stages. Donkey Kong got hosed!

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
imo they have to have a mix between really good competitive stages and really ****y ones to appeal to a wider range of players. I will admit there were to many for the casual players, but it's to be expected. Afterall, Sakurai said when he was making the game that his top priority was to create a game that would appeal to all kinds of gamers. There is also the random stage switch, so you can just take the gay stages off of the list.

Variable

Smash Ace
I agree dude Every game is going to have to have some small defect to it. Just don't play those maps, No one is going to pick it on Wifi, and neither at tournaments, so you can just completely avoid those maps. Besides with all of the counter picks, and Neutrals, a few maps shouldn't bother you.

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
Melee had such great stages as Venom, Mushroom Kingdom I, and Brinstar Depths that were neither fun nor even close to balanced so really were just awful.
MKI, Venom and Brinstar Depths are fun in casual play, more than I can say for the piece of **** stages in Brawl like 75M, New Pork and Mario Bros.

F41R

Smash Rookie
I can agree with you on some stages there.

Stages like 75m, Rumble Falls, New Pork City and Hanenbow should never have been put into the game. I mean, I can see from a casual point that yeah, maybe they'd be loads of fun. Alas, I play competitively, so I find these stages useless and annoying. But at the same time, why are we even talking about the stages that are bad, when there are only like, 4 or 5? There's still at least 30+ stages that are excellent choices (Final Destination, Final Destination, Final Destination) like Battlefield, Smashville, Jungle Japes, and Lylat Cruise, just to name a few.

Heh, back in Melee's glory days, I used to agree with you about the Temple stage. I thought that stage was fun from a casual standpoint, but once you play the game competitively, you find it to be a major nuisance. Same with Brinstar Depths, too (glad that it didn't make it into Brawl). Rainbow Cruise semi-annoys me, but I'd still play it just because it reminds me of playing SM64.

Green Greens = no.

Big Blue also pisses me off to no end. But regardless, I find it fun when you just want to joke around (who doesn't love pushing characters off of a car moving at 300+ mph and watching them fly backwards to their doom?)

Really, pick your poison.

Arcade

Smash Ace
Metallic Mario never said anything about competitive play. I believe he's saying certain stages just suck, period. And I agree with him, New Pork is no fun no matter how you play on it. Everyone I play with, including casuals, hates New Pork City, Hanenbow, 75m, etc.

The people [...] needs? So you want to fire an entire people? :o
I'm curious, why did you post that?

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Different strokes for different folks.

The developers couldn't put in stages to please everyone, so they put in a wide array so that people could all find stages that they like.

Just because you don't like it doesn't make it crap, that's a bigot way of thinking. That's like me saying that country music is terrible just because I personally am not a fan.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
If they wouldn't wasted so much space on the 1 minute minigame masterpieces, the stickers, the coin cannon thing and many other things people don't really play they would have brought back every stage + the new ones and maybe made those assisted trophies playable characters. And they would have worked on the wifi to be little to no lag like on Xbox and PS3, games that never fade away 'cause ppl play it online.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
If they wouldn't wasted so much space on the 1 minute minigame masterpieces, the stickers, the coin cannon thing and many other things people don't really play they would have brought back every stage + the new ones and maybe made those assisted trophies playable characters. And they would have worked on the wifi to be little to no lag like on Xbox and PS3, games that never fade away 'cause ppl play it online.
Yup. If they were smarter about space management, there would be enough room to bring back ALL the old stages and more. Who need to have a 200MB+ size dummy file anyway????? There are many different files that are taking up space for no reason.
There's no need for the all the games stock faces and menus in 7 different places if it only reads from one spot.

Hanenbow is bad.

NPC is terrible even in not serious play. Me and my cousin prefer Temple tons more.

The worst part about Brinstar Depths is the BAD collision detection. I don't play on that stage often but when I do, I'm almost guaranteed to die from falling through the stage once in the match.

Warioware would be amazing if you had the option to turn off the starman and mushroom prizes.

There is still a strong stigma against picking Mario Bros., NPC, and Hanenbow online. Most people will DC id someone does it.

ErikG

Smash Ace
The people [...] needs? So you want to fire an entire people? :o
For anyone who doesn't get it, the title should read "The people [...] need [...]" Needs is used for a singular subject (person) while need is used for plural (people).

I don't actually have any major complaints about Brawl's stages. Sure, I don't like them all, but they are not nearly as bad as a lot of you make them out to be.

IYM!

Smash Lord
this &quot;!&quot; is part of my nick (Chile)
All you have to do is look at New Pork City and Hannenbow. (Or however its spelled.)
HEY !!!! what is the problem with hanenbow? is a fun stage, also you can have a serious match over there

In other way... i hate mario bros. in smash DOJO the stage looks like great , but the turtles are extreme powerfull and you can not fight very well

sonic stage also dont like me

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
HEY !!!! what is the problem with hanenbow? is a fun stage, also you can have a serious match over there
Hanenbow is almost a good stage, but it actually enables circle camping.

Like Temple.

And so you can't have it in competition.

... sad, I agree. The idea of manipulating the stage's platforms presents explosion of strategic depth... but it was made just too big.

In other way... i hate mario bros. in smash DOJO the stage looks like great , but the turtles are extreme powerfull and you can not fight very well
The hilarious thing about Mario Bros is that, even that stage, too, might be balanced and fair, but it's the single clearest case - perhaps the only case - of the tertiary criterion for banning ever seen in a fighter: This element doesn't belong in the game.

Playing on Mario Bros. isn't playing Smash, it's playing the Mario Bros. game. Find a koopa, flip it, throw it at someone. Control the important zones, deal with POW block.

I've endured the stage for the sake of curiosity for a while, and I think that most characters, in fact, have some sort of tool to handle that stage well. Even if not, that's just character imbalance, which we see inherently anyway. The gameplay is, of course, centralized on tossing the "items", but Melee is centralized on wavedashing, and that doesn't mean wavedashing should be banned.

If you're not stubborn or obstinate about placing yourself in the right spots, it's not too hard to evade someone with a koopa in hand just until another koopa shows up. Then you're on equal footing.

But yeah. If you ever want to play there, I tell you the stage is a legit test of knowledge, however narrow and silly it is, that it is like a completely different game to Smash.
Let me be more specific:

I will accept a money match, if I've got the cash, on Mario Bros. I'll even agree to play people there in brackets matches. (Many tourneys have a mutual agreement clause for banned stages.)

... Unless I wanted to, you know, play a game of Smash that day. 9_9

sonic stage also dont like me
Lol walkoff.

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
I agree completely. NPC is just too dam* big. Nd Hannenbow is just *sigh*.. I think they just said wth and through it in there for fun.

walrusface

Smash Rookie
I play at casual level (I find the tourney rules a bit confining, but that's just me personally), and I love New Pork city. Hanebow, I never really use, but I still like it.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
I love the pseudowater thing that Hanebow has goin' on, though overall, it's really annoying to play on

New Pork is a funny map, because although running around and extreme camping are likely, fighting at the bottom is just too fun sometimes. Gotta love that Ultimate Chimera.

Reflecting moves on Mario Bros is OP.

75m is also a funny stage.

Iceburg is almost interesting, although, I have this sweet replay of me spiking a friend of mine into a fish.

Rumble Falls scrolls waaaaaaaaay too fast, and has a whole lot of traps waiting for those that don't expect them (especially the '**** you' spike)

PS2 has WORSE stage shifts then PS1, but PS2 at least has normal edges.

Mushroomy Kingdom is a lot of fun underground, above ground, it's not nearly as hard to fight on then it is underground (which, although fun, is extremely hard to fight on)

Battlefield and FD are pretty much the same

Delfino Plaza is nice.

Skyworld, also a fun map, and good for practicing ukemis.

Port Town Aero Drive is Mute City with stronger cars, and a really weird curving stage thing going on.

Lylat Cruise, a legit map, the turning is nice, makes it interesting.

Castle Siege is great before and after those stupid statues.

Flat Zone 2 is pretty much Flat Zone 1 with better music.

Smashville is a great stage and probably my favorite.

Spear Pillar is also a fun stage.

Norfair is a legit stage once you get past the lava part (oh wait)

Frigate Orpheon is good besides the flipping some times

So yeah, overall, I think they did a fine job with the stages, no one should be fired over a couple not so great ones. :p

Kantrip

Kantplay
@PK-ow! -- Unfortunately the stage is a giant cave of life with walk-off edges. Otherwise, your reasoning sounds fair and I think making the match a totally different game is interesting, but teching off the roof and CGs/locks will break the stage regardless

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
I do feel as if there are man competitive and casual stages to be played on. Yes there are horrible stages put in there, but they gave us new stages such as SV, Picto, and a few others. I love all of the competitive stages tbh. I do even like some of the casual levels. (Temple FTW!)

Top Bottom