• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Peach Q & A Thread

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
Reverse forward throws it the wrong way? Back roll doesn't give the slide glide as forward roll, throws do not change the difference.

BLI7ZARD

Smash Apprentice
ok i have a question hopefully Its a good one. I was reading the frame data and got kind of worried because all of the negatives when opponents shield the ground attacks. So does that mean that all of her ground attacks (except dtilt) leave her punishable if it hits the shield at max range?
**or am i slow and reading it wrong. If so is there a guide on how to read frame data**

-Cross-

Smash Ace
ok i have a question hopefully Its a good one. I was reading the frame data and got kind of worried because all of the negatives when opponents shield the ground attacks. So does that mean that all of her ground attacks (except dtilt) leave her punishable if it hits the shield at max range?
**or am i slow and reading it wrong. If so is there a guide on how to read frame data**
Remember there is also shield pushback which is not accounted for. This helps prevent very bad punishes but even then keep in mind that most of her ground moves are very punishable. Dtilt, f-smash and jab (because its fast) are probably the safest ground moves on shield. D-smash is but only if you shield poke, if you do not you will be punished.

General question: How does every start off their matches? I always have troubling starting a match with Peach, and setting the tempo. It's hard to set an early tempo in Peaches favor because her safest aerial gets beat out by faster ones. I usually pull turnips but I just throw them ASAP. So, basically, how do you start each match and what is your starting mindset? And what are some good tactics you use to exploit people expecting you to throw the turnip in your hand?

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
Turnip -> sh with momentum of dash -> fthrow turnip then float (with a fair) prevents aggressief approaches and creates a great wall. The turnip travels slow and you will be in float very quickly so a fair/dair can shield combo at near max range of the turnip. That setup in general is great.

Another way is to pull a turnip smash throw it up pull another and then time sh fthrow so you can insta fthrow the one falling down. against great vs shield and this can't be caught so well. This is great for edgeguarding too.

These are some nice options to use the time you are given at the start of the match

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Oh thanks. Yeah I use the SH throw > float. But the thing is I use it all the time. I think I'm going to try just holding onto it more, and doing float aerials so I don't have to throw my turnips but still be able to attack. The second one you mentioned seems really useful.

White-Peach

Smash Ace
General question: How does every start off their matches? I always have troubling starting a match with Peach, and setting the tempo. It's hard to set an early tempo in Peaches favor because her safest aerial gets beat out by faster ones. I usually pull turnips but I just throw them ASAP. So, basically, how do you start each match and what is your starting mindset? And what are some good tactics you use to exploit people expecting you to throw the turnip in your hand?
Depends on if they're the type of character that gain something by having space, like a move that charges, or if they can camp you (falco). But I'm going to assume you mean in general :p

That too, depends on how your playstyle is. You might be all-out shield pressure and in their face trying to get hits. I'm more of a defensive player, but I'm all about glidetossing that first turnip and being up in their face. I'll put myself uncomfortably close so they feel compelled to do *something*, which I'm usually good about punishing. I like to set that fear of touching my shield in early, so they have to rethink. While they're idle, I turnip camp. It's back and forth, "Hit me!" "Chase me!"

As far as holding a turnip, idk. I don't tend to hold onto them unless they're good turnips~ in which case I FAir/BAir into a glidetoss (where I would otherwise slap/dsmash/grab). I don't believe in the whole "I'm mindgaming you by holding onto this turnip" thing because you're limiting your moveset when you could be creating a wall or use it to make your escape and pull another. I do however hold onto gyros and bananas, because I think they're worthwhile in limiting your opponents game by virtue of keeping it from them.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Well not as mindgames per say, but more like, when I have a turnip in my hand the opponent will not be like "oh he is going to throw it immediately." I was just looking for other tactics for this reason. Also how fast do turnips disappear, and is there a limit to how many turnips you can have on the stage?

What are the chances for a bomb or beam sword? Also how developed is Peach's gameplay with a beam sword?

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
Also how fast do turnips disappear, and is there a limit to how many turnips you can have on the stage?
Peach can have a maximum of three Turnips on stage by throwing each of them upwards.

What are the chances for a bomb or beam sword?
I don't think there's an answer to this.

Also how developed is Peach's gameplay with a beam sword?
Check Meno's guide on Peach with the beamsword.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=232585

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Oh thanks for the link
Meno mentions something about restoring the beam sword. Does that mean you are just hiding the beam sword or does the beam sword have a duration of time before it just disappears?

Btw it should be worth mention that dash attack with beam sword cancels an absurd amount of moves and projectiles.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
It depends on match ups:

Characters like falco, don't start a match getting a turnip, for you will eat a laser, also you will have to worry about getting close to falco and pounding on him, having a turnip can limi that.

ROB is the same thing some times. For they like to start a match shooting a laser. This can hit you out of the turnip animation. and you off to a bad start. When a Match starts I shield.

Fox is the same way so as soon as the match starts, just go to fox to avoid as many laser shots as possible. As well as for pit. Everyone else that can't get a hit off you that quit, grab a turnip and go in there. Start the match with a weapon.

To exploit people expecting me to toss a turnip I usually do this:

Float to then> Z-drop turnip> Jab/grab/Dtilt
Jump to them> toss turnip the other way>Bair
Float to them> Dair>land behind to a reverse glide toss
Float to a Fair> Fsmash with Turnip in hand
Run to them> Ground float>Space Nair> Glide toss backwards/rerverse glide toss behind them.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
Oh thanks for the link
Meno mentions something about restoring the beam sword. Does that mean you are just hiding the beam sword or does the beam sword have a duration of time before it just disappears?
I think he's talking about using a move that makes the beam sword disappear in order to give it the normal moveset.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
so if you use toad while holding a beam sword, the beam sword will disappear? Well that kinda sucks

@Dark
Thanks for the advice.

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
Both character have 30 frames of lag, so ground release jab can be powershielded.

Ness and Luacus lag for 30 frames, making ground release dash grab/ftilt/jab possible.

Dk lags for 20 frames so he can ftilt you.

BLI7ZARD

Smash Apprentice
I have a question im hoping i can find an answer. How to you play against characters like metaknight and they get the lead and they play keep away by floating away with the tornado and using his jumps while spamming dair along with other various moves.? I dont know how to handle when people basically stall for the whole match?
**side note**
i was playing on brinstar when a metaknight just stayed on the top platform and kept jumping and would retreat with the tornado . Also used the dair so its like i couldnt find away to approach without getting hit. He kept going from one side of the stage to the other. HELP IS THERE A GUIDE OR SOMETHING SOMEWHERE or do i have to just figure it out or use someone else?

White-Peach

Smash Ace
Stand in one place and keep pulling turnips. If they don't approach, keep pulling until you get something good. Sounds dumb, but it was one of the most effective things I did at pound :D Especially on PS1, camp with bonewalking/SLIDING until a transformation came, and hide in a good part of the transformation. Keep pulling until you get a bomb/stitch/beamsword(!!!) then approach. They knew what I was doing, and never approached, and I got to fight with a beamsword, which was pretty sweet :3

You have 8 minutes of them not approaching. Beef up your character with items. It's her form of charge shot/giant punch/aura sphere/waft, the more time/space you give her, the better she gets :3

Thibault

Smash Apprentice
Stand in one place and keep pulling turnips. If they don't approach, keep pulling until you get something good. Sounds dumb, but it was one of the most effective things I did at pound :D Especially on PS1, camp with bonewalking/SLIDING until a transformation came, and hide in a good part of the transformation. Keep pulling until you get a bomb/stitch/beamsword(!!!) then approach. They knew what I was doing, and never approached, and I got to fight with a beamsword, which was pretty sweet :3

You have 8 minutes of them not approaching. Beef up your character with items. It's her form of charge shot/giant punch/aura sphere/waft, the more time/space you give her, the better she gets :3
YES THIS^ and i will run up and mix up my jumps... into a float to punish the counter attack peach upair is broken..... lol just pluck stuff! i love to do that if they wont approach i will just pluck lol as long as their not useing projectiles lol

BLI7ZARD

Smash Apprentice
another question is do turnips cancel out certain attacks?what i mean is for an example when peach f smashes and Snake U tilts and the attacks collide then cancel each other out while doing no damage and their attack animations are cut short. Also I've noticed that turnips would connect when the opponent is doing a move making the opponent pause a little bit then resume the move.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Any tips on peach in doubles? I want to do fairly good at vc7 in 2 weeks. Im teaming with a DDD. From the practice we had i normally only have 2 stocks while he takes 4. Is this normal for peach in doubles?

Let me explain how i play

I normally just camp the whole match. Pluck and throw turinips and stay behind DDD as much as i can. Land the occasional dairs and jab to grab combos then retreat. Ill approach with saturns and beam swords if i get them. It's not hard for me to rack up the damage in doubles. But killing with her is a problem. This is suppose to be where DDD comes in.

However DDD is always getting doubled team. Thus the 4-2 stocks thing. It's not like ill just stay back and watch him get double teamed. Ill run in and help whenever i can. But i thought staying back and racking up damage while DDD gets the kills is how this team work. Am i doing it wrong? Or do i just need to get better at it?

Also i know peach has the advantage against wario but what do i do when he just air camps be for 8 mins? Do i just sit still and throw turnips while he lets his fart build up? Or do i try and chase him? It's a really frustrating matchup for me.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Peach can stock tank really well, but you're playing the wrong role for your team. With Peach:MK, you'd want to tank. With Peach:Dedede, Dedede is a character that requires support.

You want to keep Dedede alive. That is your role, if you team with a Dedede. Either change your style, or team with a teammate that can manage himself and doesn't require a support character.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Ok thanks Praxis. Were doing a crew practice tomorrow since it's president's day and everyone is off. Ill switch my style up and see if this works. Hopefully i can get some vids up for critique.

yugi1818

Smash Cadet
I am fairly good with peach but i have an extreme disatvantage when up against Marth when ever i try to stay back and go with aerial combos i always get u aired,u smashed, or up b'ed, amd i cant combo well with him tips plz?

Roxas215

Smash Lord
I am fairly good with peach but i have an extreme disatvantage when up against Marth when ever i try to stay back and go with aerial combos i always get u aired,u smashed, or up b'ed, amd i cant combo well with him tips plz?
Bair Bair and more Bair. I used to have alot of problems in this matchup because i was EXTREMELY aggressive. But peach can create a wall against marth. Camp turnips. Mix them up between glidetossing backwards and z dropping. SPACE BAIRS. I don't really know the frame stuff but i believe it beats out any of marth's aerials. And it's safe from being shieldgrabbed if spaced correctly. Once u get a stock lead the match is basically in peach's hand as long as she sticks to camping turnips and spacing bairs.

The good thing about this matchup is peach's gimping abilities against marth. It's really hard for marth to recover against Peach.

I still believe Marth has the advantage but it's not as nearly as bad as i once thought.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Set c-stick to attack, or you use the z-drop glide toss tech. With items like swords, it will z-drop, but if you do it with turnips you will get a normal throw. But it seems you will only be able to do f-throw, unless your finger control is off the charts. I just set my c-stick to attack though.

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
Z-drop glide toss = weak glide toss?

In the frame data thread there is a normal glide toss section. Dunno just think there must be an easier way.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
z-drop glide toss = normal glide toss depending on your item. Again the simplest way is just set c-stick to attack, aside from that I don't think there is another way.

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
No I think air's right. Like how you perfrom a tilt when you hold direction and then c-stick.

Cen't test right now but I know you're right. Thanks!

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Using the Glidetoss with the Cstick just helps you direct the way you want to throw that much easier.

Control Stick in the direction you want to move.
C-Stick in the direction you want to throw.

Using Z, A or the C-Stick are all the same.

I don't even think it's possible to weak glidetoss, is it? It's going to register as a 'direction+throw' regardless, since you have to press them at the same time to glidetoss. I could be wrong about that though, but I just tested it. It's always going to do a power throw.

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
But with ground move smash c-stick + control stick in same direction registers as a tilt. Should work the same way with a glide toss. Its in the frame data thread, so we know it possible.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama

Weak Glide Tossing:

As it turns out, some characters create items that cannot be dropped, so in these cases, we have effectively created a weak glide toss. Suit Pieces, Bananas, Turnips, and a few other items produce this effect (so ZSS will WGT her pieces instead of dropping them). As a side note, Link and Toon Link cannot Weak Glide Toss. However, their bombs are affected. This has some interesting properties and of course leads to some interesting findings.

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqImRJUXxAw
VIDEO 2:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVezocdi2uI This video explains the difference between a Glide Toss and a Weak Glide Toss.

So here you go...

Peach's Turnip Dashing:
To perform, hold L or R and tap left or right. Then, QUICKLY release the control stick and QUICKLY tap A just before Peach turns around to flub the throw. Note that if you wait too long or don't throw it fast enough, Peach will throw the item too far. Then, catch the item with A and repeat. Using this, it is possible to dash quickly across the stage by catching and releasing the turnip. This technique can slide Peach very, very far if done with good timing. We are talking a little less than half the distance of FD, a little over 1/3 of FD. So basically, Peach can travel the distance of FD by using this three times. It is also possible to travel less distance.
I'll just go ahead and leave this here.

Top Bottom