• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Exactly.

Heck, I actually want Diddy to have more tail attacks otherwise Dixie will blow him away and he might look boring... :c

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Dixie Kong is my number one for a Donkey Kong rep, although I think with the revival of the series to its proper place in the Nintendo echelon with DKCR and DKC:TF, the series is more than deserving of four reps.

Zigzagar

Smash Journeyman
I Support Dixie Kong!!!!
I like those movesets, a lot of them make Dixie Kong unique from Diddy Kong

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
These are good answers as to why Dixie's hair is unique, which is self-explanatory, but I'm looking for more specifics about its arm function in particular. I'm hearing that it's awesome and all, but what separates its function as an appendage from Dixie's regular arms and legs during regular punch-punch-hit attacks? Aesthetics? How it would hit people?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Gamefaqs likes to overhype likely characters. And they think Dixie is likely, probably cause of Tropical Freeze. And of coarse, discredit King K.Rool competely cause of it. I don't even gomto Gamefaqs, but am 100% positive this is the mentality down there.

Dixie's 'hair arm' could be used for a Neutral B, or a few Smash attacks. But I MUCH rather prefe the style BirthNote has drawn with that picture. Holy ****, that's a awesome looking picture. Badass as ****.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Dixe Kong

Innate ability: Like Peach the jump button can be held. If this happens, Dixie will descend slower while twirling her hair and gain the ability to move back and forth.

Specials

Up B Squawks: Appears above in a burst of feathers and grabs Dixie's pony tail. There is a small vertical jolt when the parrot seizes her hair. Squawks can then navigate freely. A press of A will have him shoot out a nut from his mouth. Eventually he will let go and fly away or a press of the jump button will have Dixie freefall away from his talons.

Down B Bubble Gum (inspired by Shorties Dixie Kong moveset): Holding Down B will cause Dixie to blow a pink bubble which swells and slowly raises Dixie Kong off the ground. A release of Down B will cause the bubble gum to fly off in a descending arc. Anyone hit with it will pop up as it explodes, but if it collides with a wall or floor the gum will become a sticky puddle. An enemy that collides with it will become temporarily stuck.

The puddle eventually disappears over time or if Dixie uses another bubble.

Toward B Barrel roll: Dixie flips upside down and during the rotation grabs a DK barrel out of hammer space and runs in place on top of it. The longer she goes in one direction, the faster the barrel rolls.

Can change direction if the barrel is not going too fast, otherwise she can tumble off. The barrel will smash if it collides with a wall or character. Dixie can jump off. Though it is slower to execute if the barrel is going fast. A clever Dixie can slow down the speed of the barrel by slowly going one way then another, then jumping off. The barrel will be stationary and become an item she can pick up.

In the air, Dixie gains a bit of a pop as she takes the barrel out and runs on top of it. But she cannot jump off until she hits the ground. Barrel can bounce.

B Hair Grab: Dixie swings her hair hair back and then forward when it becomes a grab. When the tip connects with the foe, the hair wraps around the enemy.

Aerial: Constricts immediately and pops the enemy upwards.

Ground: Wraps around enemy and then unwinds sending the enemy forward as he or she twirls really fast. The enemy gains control of the movement as momentum wanes down. The higher the percentage, the faster and longer the spin. The enemy cannot jump or perform moves.

Attacks

A: Pivots her hips forward to deliver a butt attack. Good bounce.

Tilt A: Supports her body with a one hand, as she kicks forward with both feet and then slinks back into a stand position

Crouch: Low on all fours with her head tilted and her long pony tail laying on the floor trailing parallel to her body.

Down A: Swishes her pony tail forward low on the floor. The tip pushes away, the middle pops the enemy, and the base can trip if hit just right

Up A: Supports her body with a curved pony tail, leans back, and performs a back flip with one leg extra extended. Big hitbox, but comes with lag.

Dash A: Performs a grounded helicopter pony tail attack.

Up Smash: Looks at screen and head bangs once shooting her pony tail straight up. Knocks opponents away and the tip can grab them, pulling them back to the stage to bounce off the floor.

Down Smash (inspired by BirthNote's drawing): Jolts her neck to the side and slaps her ponytail hard against the floor behind her, then jolts her neck to the other side slapping the floor once more with her ponytail. Good clear move and could KO at higher percentages

Forward Smash: Spins her hair behind her like a giant blond fan propelling her toward the enemy as she swings an accelerated punch. Goes far with decent power.

Aerial Attacks

Forward Aerial: Leans back and does a succession of bicycle kicks (five total kicks, last hits the hardest)

Down Aerial: Looks at screen and slaps downward with both open palms, which leads into a somersault and another double open palm slap

Up Aerial: Flips upside down, holds her beret with both hands, scrunches like a spring and kicks straight up

Back Aerial: Locks hands together forming a hammerfist and flips backwards smashing her interlocked hands on the opponent's head. Hits down and away. Reverse DK forward aerial. But less powerful.

Neutral Aerial: Split in the air

Throws
Grab: Grabs with hands. Open grab she jumps on opponent's head and wraps her hair around their body.

Jab: Pounds a fist on their head

Forward throw: Starts wildly slapping their head. Can control the opponent's movement at this point by moving them forward or backwards. At the end, Dixie is shrugged off into the air by opponent.

Down Throw: Dixie leaps into the air, her hair (still wrapped around the enemy) pulls her body back down, crashing onto the opponent's head sending them into the floor

Back Throw: Jumps off in front of opponent and hoists them above her head (like how she holds a barrel) and then tosses them. KO potential.

Up Throw: Flips off opponent and hoists them straight upwards with her ponytail before releasing.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I really hate how DumbFAQs is backing Dixie Kong now for the wrong reasons (basically Tropical Freeze now makes her "relevant"). I remember just a few months ago they were bashing her for being "just another monkey".

Dixie Kong definitely deserves inclusion, however, its definitely not because she is "relevant". She is one of the few female Nintendo characters that has ever taking a proactive and main protagonist role in a Nintendo game, and one of the few female video game protagonists in general that has no fanservice or sex appeal about them, and can actually boast of not having been kidnapped.

She is really profound when you consider that unlike other major Nintendo female characters such as Zelda and Peach (and possibly Palutena), when she was introduced she was immediately cast into the main protagonist role, as opposed to being the damsel of distress. In reality, I think she may be Nintendo's second biggest female protagonist behind only Samus herself.

Either way, both K. Rool and Dixie Kong both deserve to become playable in Smash 4, and Sakurai would have to be a complete imbecile to not even choose one of them for Smash 4.

However, unlike K. Rool fans, I think Dixie Kong fans may have to wait until the game's release to find out whether she is in or not.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Gamefaqs... They're all just a bunch of sheep over there. Following whatever trend is hot. Hardly any non troll has any sprt of personality, or something called an opinion. Really, it's quite sad.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Never even played a Donkey Kong game, but for some reason when I heard they were working on her in Brawl I was kinda upset she was never finished! I'd love to beat people as a girl monkey! XD She's got my full support! I know she wouldn't be a clone either cause of that powerful ponytail!

grizby2

Smash Lord
I always had to fight with my brother to decide who got to play as Dixie. lol. good times.
god, shes from one of the best if not THE best DK game ever. she has to have some type of cameo at the very least.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Anyone that supports Dixie Kong for Smash Bros. should head over to this link and request her as a character for Project M:
http://smashboards.com/threads/clone-engine-is-real-discussion-thread.340443/

Since K. Rool has a good chance of beating out Dixie Kong, this is a very good chance of getting a playable Dixie Kong in a quality game.

It is also part of Dixie Kong's rightful place since the Clone Engine utilizes the file folders for the Forbidden 7 to make it possible.

For example,

Roy is going to have the scrapped Roy's file folder.
Mewtwo is probably going to have the scrapped Mewtwo's file folder

etc.

Dixie Kong, as you all know, was planned for Brawl and has her own file folder within the coding for Brawl.

While the file folders for Dr. Mario, pra_mai, Toon Zelda, and Toon Sheik will all likely go to characters besides the ones named, Dixie Kong certainly deserves placement in Project M, and she is definitely among the few Nintendo all-stars not yet playable in Smash Bros.

I will write up a detailed compelling case for Dixie Kong's inclusion in Project M, however, all you Dixie fans should head over her and only ask for Dixie Kong alone (lots of idiots over there asking for trash like Waluigi and Shadow).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I dislike the bubblegum idea. Always have...
Same here... just because Dixie Kong chews bubblegum when you are not touching the controller doesn't mean she has to use it as a weapon when she never did in the original DKC games. If anything, Dixie chewing gum should happen whenever she is standing idly. That, or pop the gum to startle Kiddy Kong into jumping behind her so Dixie takes the lead again... just like in DKC3 (IF Dixie is in a tag team with Kiddy).

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Same here... just because Dixie Kong chews bubblegum when you are not touching the controller doesn't mean she has to use it as a weapon when she never did in the original DKC games. If anything, Dixie chewing gum should happen whenever she is standing idly. That, or pop the gum to startle Kiddy Kong into jumping behind her so Dixie takes the lead again... just like in DKC3 (IF Dixie is in a tag team with Kiddy).
Or better imo, make it a taunt.

Chrono has a fine point. Dixie can be implemented in using the forbidden 7 using Diddy as a base.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Chrono has a fine point. Dixie can be implemented in using the forbidden 7 using Diddy as a base.
Project M can only implement (UP TO, there is no guarantee we will get the maximum) six more non-Brawl characters in Project M.

Newcomers that have been confirmed for Smash 4 are off-limits for consideration btw, as well as characters that made absolutely no appearance in Brawl (which rules out Shulk, Chrom, Geno, and basically every third-party character that is not from the Sonic or Metal Gear series).

Dixie Kong fans should definitely push for this. Especially considering one of those folders belongs to her.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The bubblegum idea compliments Diddy's bananas without being an outright copied move. I like the parallel.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I guess Dixie Kong fans are really passive. Or maybe I need to rally them to make them speak up for Dixie Kong's inclusion in Project M.

We have a very real opportunity to influence the roster to a Smash Bros. game here.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
I guess Dixie Kong fans are really passive. Or maybe I need to rally them to make them speak up for Dixie Kong's inclusion in Project M.

We have a very real opportunity to influence the roster to a Smash Bros. game here.

Is there anything I can do to help with this? I'd like to help even though i've already requested her.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
While I support King K. Rool, I want Dixie Kong more because I really enjoyed playing as her in DKC2 and DKC3. I know that she would be pretty unique in Smash and be a lot different from Diddy Kong. Just because she is a small monkey like Diddy Kong is doesn't mean she would have the same abilities as Diddy Kong. Dixie Kong doesn't even support Impa. :troll:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Question: lets say that Dixie is playable, in what ways could Diddy and Dixie interact? What kind of interactions between the two?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Question: lets say that Dixie is playable, in what ways could Diddy and Dixie interact? What kind of interactions between the two?
If they did work as a tagteam, you could have one follow the other. To switch, you would have to use Forward B to throw the one you want to switch over to. When the momentum of the throw ends, you switch to the thrown monkey.

B!ggad

Smash Apprentice
Anybody else bothered by Dixie's completely new personality?

Maybe Rare didn't even attempt to give her (or all of them) anything but subtle character traits or maybe it wasn't possible at all on the snes to make them huge characters, but I feel like Nintendo/Retro changes a lot of stuff just because here. Or to differentiate themselves from what Rare did.

I liked their "colder", uncaring facial expressions. The occasional gum bubble was sassy.
Now she's that carefree "everything's so much fun YAY =D" character, super irritating. Diddy is too I guess but I don't care much for Diddy and I'd have liked the idea of him being carefree and Dixie being SOMETHING ELSE.

And regarding her altered and new abilities: make sense in DKCR I guess but aren't as interesting for Smash anymore.

She's no longer picking up things with her hair (crucial), the helicopter hair give a vertical boost now which is still cool but does not compare to what could have been a great variation of Peach's glide in that she can cancel her jump at any height to enter "slowly sinking helicopter" to attack at all kinds of angles (crucial).

And her bubble gun, it's a decent, standard move for Smash in concept - ignoring the character the move would be given to. But considering it's basically Diddy's gun of all people with ZSS stun gun properties (at best), I'm not sure what to think of it.

I can definitely live with some similarities between Diddy and Dixie, I might even like that fact. But going by what Tropical Freeze makes her to be, she's losing a lot of what made her extremely interesting as a character in Smash in the first place. She's just that "other Diddy" now, which ironically is probably just as good of a reason in Sakurai's mind to add her, but it's obviously the wrong reason.

Had to get that off my chest, thoughts?

D

Deleted member

So, she's got a gun now?

...what was that about how Dixie can't be a clone, Diddy? :troll:

I kid, but at least this....bubble gun is it?....gives her a little more to work with.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So, she's got a gun now?

...what was that about how Dixie can't be a clone, Diddy? :troll:

I kid, but at least this....bubble gun is it?....gives her a little more to work with.

Well, her projectiles could possibly trap opponents like Sub-Zero's ice ball. I don't think we many moves like that yet.

D

Deleted member

Looking at the vid, they look like little grapes that stun more than bubbles.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Dixie psuedo-rant
Wait until Diddy (the user) gets back, I know he has some strong opinions about Diddy (the Kong) and Dixie being watered down into interchangeable sidekicks as an excuse to give DK "the spotlight" he allegedly lost at great personal expense for all of two excellent games. Also, before anyone comes in and gets on a high horse about us nitpicking these things, seriously, don't bother. We're well aware that Tropical Freeze will be an excellent game, which is why we're seemingly neglecting all that's great about it in favor of the small stuff that would make it even more excellent.

On a personal level, I'm glad to see Dixie at least has a weapon that's infinitely less stupid than her just firing bubblegum out of her mouth. ;)

I theorized this idea in my own thread, but I'm viewing Dixie as a potential Chrom-esque hybrid between DK and Diddy, taking Diddy's Neutral and Side Specials and Donkey's Down and Up Specials.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Yay, actual Dixie footage from Tropical Freeze! I can already hear the cries of "CLONE!" due to her having Bubblegum Popguns now. lol

However, before people start panicking about how her changes in Tropical Freeze are going to completely change how she would work in Smash, remember that Diddy's movements in Brawl were heavily influenced by his DKC 1 and 2 animations; just look at his walking/running/crouching/crawl animations. I don't think that Sakurai would completely abandon all of her past abilities and movements just because she is different in Tropical Freeze, especially if it is to make her a more unique fighter. Not saying that Tropical Freeze won't have any influence, but I don't think it will completely retcon her SNES DKC style as far as Smash is concerned.

But, if you ask my personal opinion on Dixie's new movements and personality, I don't mind. In every spinoff game she's appeared in since DKC3, she's always been really energetic and carefree. Judging from the gameplay of Tropical Freeze, it still looks like the Dixie I know and love with some improvements. I'm definitely looking forward to Tropical Freeze. I've been waiting a long time for Dixie to make her comeback in the main Donkey Kong series and this game hasn't disappointed me yet.

D

Deleted member

They're gumballs? Ok. Makes sense.

(Though it kind of gets rid of the fruit-themed weaponry...even if Funky's Boot Cannon did it already....)

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Oh no... specials that Sakurai could take from Dk(Down+B) and Diddy(Neutral B)...

Sakurai REALLY will like this <O> I don't expect that coming...

yani

Smash Lord
The only thing I don't like is that she doesn't pick up items with her hair (see trailer)

Top Bottom