• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah, the two are alot better off as separate characters. If it didn't work in Brawl, why try it again? We already have Diddy's moveset. So work on Dixie by herself next. Sakurai and the devs might have a general idea of what he'd want her to do.

D

Deleted member

As much as I'd rather have them separate, not working in Brawl isn't an excuse as to why it can't be done here.
Something like Rosalina & Luma would not have worked well in Brawl, after all.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm horrified that the Diddy-Dixie duo might actually happen, and have been horrified about it since before Rosalina's reveal. It not happening in SSB4 hinges on Sakurai having come to terms with how godawful an idea it was in 2005 and not repeating it again in 2012.

D

Deleted member

If it means Sakurai can squeeze in K. Rool and not give a second thought about it, then I honestly wouldn't care about the duo idea.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
How would that happen, though? A duo mechanic requires Diddy and Dixie to be developed as separate characters, but with a significantly larger amount of time spent programming the nonactive Kong to follow the active one, which was already problematic once. I don't know what about the duo would make Sakurai think differently of K. Rool either, given that he counts transformation characters as individuals.

D

Deleted member

On the hypothetical that he looks to try the idea again, if Dixie is essentially made as a Falco to Diddy, it would theoretically be less work than if Dixie was 100% unique (which, let's face it, isn't going to happen either way). What was so problematic about the duo before couldn't be more complicated than Rosalina to be frank.

And yes, I am well aware that either way, Dixie would take time to make (a point I brought up in the last page), however, if Dixie is added to Diddy rather than made separate, Sakurai's mindset could be that he merely "completed" what he had planned from the start and see K. Rool as a "real" new challenge.

Not saying it's going to be the case, that it's likely, or even that I want to see it happen, but its honestly not that farfetched. Hell, if it were up to me, I'd just add K. Rool and Cranky while throwing in Dixie as a Wolf Diddy only if there was enough time.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I would hope that is the case if the duo is revisited. It would be miles better than the alternative of Sakurai qualifying "Diddy + Dixie" as enough of a challenge and leaving the others in the dust.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
On the hypothetical that he looks to try the idea again, if Dixie is essentially made as a Falco to Diddy, it would theoretically be less work than if Dixie was 100% unique (which, let's face it, isn't going to happen either way). What was so problematic about the duo before couldn't be more complicated than Rosalina to be frank.

And yes, I am well aware that either way, Dixie would take time to make (a point I brought up in the last page), however, if Dixie is added to Diddy rather than made separate, Sakurai's mindset could be that he merely "completed" what he had planned from the start and see K. Rool as a "real" new challenge.

Not saying it's going to be the case, that it's likely, or even that I want to see it happen, but its honestly not that farfetched. Hell, if it were up to me, I'd just add K. Rool and Cranky while throwing in Dixie as a Wolf Diddy only if there was enough time.

Hm, I'd like to leave it at K.Rool and Dixie for now. And Dixie being completely different would be preferable, but not all that likely unfortunately. I can see Dixie being about as unique as Luigi or Wolf are. Sure they have their similarities, but both of those characters have their own qualities that make them feel like their own characters.

We know that she can fly with her hair. She could use the gum gun. Which could trap enemies instead of just hitting them. And give her a command grab with her hair. So that's something at least. I'm sure someone else can come up with a better moveset though.

On top of that, let her glide slowly in Mid-air.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
A thought occours. If tripping is removed entirley that opens a slot in Diddy's Moveset. I'd doubt it would be removed entirley but that opens the possiblity of a two ape team.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Shame too as the banana is what made Diddy such a beast. Still I hope for Dixie to be her own character.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well why would the banana get replaced? It makes sense for someone to trip on a banana peel. Even more so that it's a controllable move that only one character can use as far as we know. It's just the randomized tripping that got removed.

kylexv

Smash Master
Does anyone notice that the website ads for DKC:TF say that Dixie Kong is Diddy Kong?
The funnier thing is that they say Diddy Kong is Diddy Kong, too.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Cranky > Dixie.
Cannot be denied. :awesome:
Dixie > Cranky. There, I just denied it. :p

Damn, I really hope she is the game, although I don't think the DK series will get two new reps and I would favor K. Rool over her any day.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Regardless of everyone's stance on the Diddy/Dixie combo, it seems like this upcoming week will be the moment of truth as to whether Sakurai is revisiting this idea. We are probably going to get Diddy to be revealed on Thursday, so we shall see if Dixie is with him. As I have stated earlier in this thread, I would rather she be her own character, but I'll take what I can get for my most wanted newcomer.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Dixie wont be added to Diddy. Sakurai does not revamp characters that much. If it were the case, Ganondorf would have gotten a new moveset like everyone said. He's not going to change Diddy from a solo character to a double character.

I actually think Dixie Kong will happen before K. Rool does. People really like K. Rool, but he hasn't been in a game since 2008. I think Sakurai is going to look more at active characters and it seems to be the case with 3 of the 4 newcomers he's announced. We'll see in the end.

A thought occours. If tripping is removed entirley that opens a slot in Diddy's Moveset. I'd doubt it would be removed entirley but that opens the possiblity of a two ape team.
They could just keep the banana and make a tripping animation for it.

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman
if dixie is in this game hopefully she won't be put in a pair with diddy she deserve's way better then that she is plenty deserving of having her own playable slot

Reila

I seriously hope the combo happens. Playing as Diddy and Dixie together will bring me some good DKC2 nostalgia <3

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I can't really see Diddy having Dixie with her this time round...but I can't see Ganondorf not being Captain Falcon again, so take that how you will. That said, I still think Dixie has more than enough merit on her own to make it into Smash 4.

Now watch as Sakurai pairs her with Kiddy or something instead to sucker punch everyone.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I'd much rather have K. Rool than Dixie, if we have to pick.

I know we're not supposed to "predict" characters based on their looks or whatever, but Dixie is literally just Diddy with a ponytail and the ability to fly with it. I can't see her being any more than a Wolf to Diddy's Fox.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am really annoyed with people thinking that Dixie Kong would be a semi-clone of Diddy Kong just because she looks like Diddy Kong with a ponytail. It is like saying Rosalina is literally Peach with a different hairstyle and a blue dress and look how she turned out. Dixie wouldn't fight like Diddy... she could use her hair as a weapon, whipping enemies with the hair, wrapping enemies and throwing them away with the hair, and the ability to float like Peach by spinning her hair like in the SNES games (not the same thing as the Up+B recovery where she just propels upward with the hair spin like Link's sword spin like in Tropical Freeze).

Last edited:

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman
I am really annoyed with people thinking that Dixie Kong would be a semi-clone of Diddy Kong just because she looks like Diddy Kong with a ponytail. Dixie wouldn't fight like Diddy... she could use her hair as a weapon, whipping enemies with the hair, wrapping enemies and throwing them away with the hair, and the ability to float like Peach by spinning her hair like in the SNES games (not the same thing as the Up+B recovery where she just propels upward with the hair spin like Link's sword spin like in Tropical Freeze).
funny i was thinking the same thing

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Well based on her potential Helicopter hair-spin instead of having a jetpack like Diddy, I think she wouldn't really be a semi-clone of Diddy. :p
But Dixie was planned as a semi-clone in Brawl.. did he simply not see the potential of Dixie?

Reila

The fact Dixie would be essentially a Diddy clone is why I support both being a "combo-character".

We could even get Dixie AND K. Rool that way, maybe... possibly... who knows? ...Sakurai?

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well based on her potential Helicopter hair-spin instead of having a jetpack like Diddy, I think she wouldn't really be a semi-clone of Diddy. :p
But Dixie was planned as a semi-clone in Brawl.. did he simply not see the potential of Dixie?
We don't know if Sakurai planned to have Dixie Kong in Brawl as a semi-clone of Diddy Kong... all we know is that Dixie Kong was planned to be a tag team partner for Diddy Kong and nothing else. I hope Rosalina & Luma showed you that team characters don't necessarily have to be similar to each other.

pikachugamer21

Smash Journeyman
The fact Dixie would be essentially a Diddy clone is why I support both being a "combo-character".

We could even get Dixie AND K. Rool that way, maybe... possibly... who knows? ...Sakurai?
Having King K Rool in this game would be a dream come true

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
To be fair at one point Wario was considered for Mario clone in Melee, but Sakurai thought better of it and added him in as a totally unique character in Brawl. We don't know exactly why Dixie was cut, but something similar may happen again.

I see her as one of the more likely candidates this time round, but not a shoo-in.

PolarisJunkie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PolarisJunkie
3DS FC
0361-7305-7321
I really hope Dixie makes it in the game this time around. I've always thought that they could use her hair as a sort of high powered fan in Smash to blow people away or create air current projectiles that hit others.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Dixie's up for voting again at Rate Their Chances. Let's all get in there and show our support!

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I was trying to figure out how it would work to have the second character following the first in a way similar but definitely distinct from the Ice Climbers.. What if the follower falls to their death? It's not like Nana dying, since you only truly play as Popo. I'm thinking that if they were to overhaul down B completely... On the ground it switches between the two (If they're both there) And maybe in the air, they pull out a DK barrel and throw it straight down? If they're both there the barrel just is empty and does some damage, but if the other is KO'd, they come out of the barrel... It's just an idea and a potential solution to an issue I was seeing

Reila

I was trying to figure out how it would work to have the second character following the first in a way similar but definitely distinct from the Ice Climbers.. What if the follower falls to their death? It's not like Nana dying, since you only truly play as Popo. I'm thinking that if they were to overhaul down B completely... On the ground it switches between the two (If they're both there) And maybe in the air, they pull out a DK barrel and throw it straight down? If they're both there the barrel just is empty and does some damage, but if the other is KO'd, they come out of the barrel... It's just an idea and a potential solution to an issue I was seeing
In Donkey Kong Country, when the following characters fall to their death, they weirdly roll back to behind the player character, passing directly through everything that is in their way. It could work like that in SSB4. Or the combo could just work the same way as Zelda/Sheik. Press down B and Diddy enters in a barrel and Dixie appears, press down B again and Diddy is back to fighting. No need to complicate things.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Oh, God...I don't want to get my hopes up for Dixie in tomorrow's Direct...but I can't help it... x.x

Top Bottom