• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Considering how I personally never really saw much potential for Dixie in the first place, the prospect of her having new moves, even at the expense of being more similar to Diddy, is one i'm fine with -yeah she's more of a clone than she would have been otherwise, but if anything I think it still serves to make her more interesting.

Also, the spin move should totally be her dash attack. And replace Donkey Kong's with the roll while you're at it, for god's sake

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
So Dixie Kong now uses a bubble bum dispenser gun in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze:
On one hand, this seems pretty good for Dixie Kong adding to her potential moveset pool for Sakurai and Co. to pull from.
But on the other hand, I feel like this can easily make Dixie a bit "clone-y", being the Peanut Pop-gun for Dixie. Though it is possible that they might have an added effect like either temporarily slowing down the opponent's mobility, or it might also drop gum-balls that will slightly heal the players like the peanuts do.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I really want Dixie Kong in Smash, but she would almost definitely share some specials with Diddy.
But the only cloney elements I foresee are special attacks, and not even all of them. Her Hair-copter is a must, for example.
All of Diddy's other moves would work fine for Dixie though. You can bet that if Dixie makes it, she will be armed with a gumball gun. The Monkey Flip and Bananas are give or take, but they'd work.
For basic attacks, there is no reason why she should have the same ones as Diddy. I feel that what would make Dixie truly unique is her signature ponytail, which would be used for normal jabs and such. An idea I've heard and have warmed up to is Dixie being able to glide with her ponytail, in a similar way to Peach.
Final Smash wise, the guitar would be great. That's all I have to say about that.
So overall, I would love Dixie in Smash (although I would love K. Rool first :troll:). I think DK is a series that can easily warrant 4 reps if given the chance. And I believe that both K. Rool and Dixie would be perfect fits for Smash: Important Nintendo All-Stars.
That's just my two cents. Expect a moveset soon too, I got a lot of ideas just through typing this!

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Dixie really seems like she could go the Ike route. She may have one or two specials slightly similar to Diddy, but would have most of her own moves. Plus the hair glide mechanic.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Hmmm... I'm wonder if Diddy & Dixie would work as a tag team.

The Non Player monkey would be in the background and not be hurt by attacks and they switch by hitting the down B. Diddy's Bananna attack may have to be given to Dixie but I think it could work.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It doesn't happen in Tropical Freeze that Diddy and Dixie pair up, so why would they do it in Smash? Retro has already cut off the roles of Diddy and Dixie enough! I'd really appriciate it if Sakurai let's me play as Diddy (or Dixie) ALONE for a change... As currently, that's only possible in spin-offs like Mario sports (if Diddy, let alone Dixie is even included) and Smash. It didn't happen in Brawl, and it won't happen now.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
Meh, I'd prefer if Diddy and Dixie worked separately in-game. No need for pairing, since DKC2 is far back in the past now. If anything, Diddy/Dixie should be paired with DK, heh. But of course that's not happening (fortunately...). I'm hoping for Dixie to be completely unique in comparison to Diddy, but due to my limited creativity with monkey movesets, I can't see her being any more different than Diddy. Blegh.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I thought of a way to make Dixie stand out. Have her use the animal buddies in her moveset.

Rambi the Rhino would be a cool Side-B attack.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Diddy and Dixie should be as unique in their moves as Marth and Ike are, but more in a Ness / Lucas like way. Anyone get what I mean?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Diddy and Dixie should be as unique in their moves as Marth and Ike are, but more in a Ness / Lucas like way. Anyone get what I mean?

That you're wishy-washy?

Kidding aside, you want them to be more luigified than Ness/ Lucas but less than Marth/ike?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah sort of. Alikeness of speeds, jump height, size and weight like Ness and Lucas, but with moves as different and Marth and Ike. Though the last is ideally. I basically see them happening exactly like Ness and Lucas are right now. Luigified clones yes. Mario /Luigi. Fox / Falco / Wolf. Link / Toon Link. Ness / Lucas. Damn it, even C.Falcon and Ganondorf. Why not Diddy / Dixie?

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Sakurai probably didn't know about the Gumball Popgun when making this game. There's a chance it won't be in.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sakurai probably didn't know about the Gumball Popgun when making this game. There's a chance it won't be in.
He knows about almost everything going on during development. If the game is released before SSB4, he'll probably have a good idea of what happens in it.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
He knows about almost everything going on during development. If the game is released before SSB4, he'll probably have a good idea of what happens in it.
I'm pretty sure he doesn't know everything going on during development, not from other games that are in development simultaneously anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if Dixie already had her move set long before Sakurai knew anything about her depiction in Tropical Freeze and I also wouldn't be surprised if Dixie's moves get changed slightly because of it.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Yeah if you all remember while Sakurai was making Kid Icarus Uprising, he had no idea the Circle Pad Pro was a thing until Nintendo released the info to the public. He even stated had he known the device was being made, he would have totally implemented it in the game. So its safe to assume he didn't know about the bubble gum Popgun either.

Nintendo is so hush hush that other development teams have no idea what each other is doing.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Thing is, Sakurai might not have behind-the-scenes info on Nintendo's hardware because, barring an unusually large acid trip, he's not going make the Circle Pad Pro a playable newcomer, despite having inside information elsewhere. We may never know for sure, since he's not spilling and the content from newer games we've seen thus far have explainable rationales behind them (Pikmin 3 being the only new Pikmin game, Lost World being in as a result of Sonic Team's involvement).

Anyway, we're getting a potential double-whammy in terms of new reveals tonight; after whatever pic Sakurai releases, Reggie is showcasing Tropical Freeze at the ungodly hour of 2 a.m. EST with the promise of showing new content. Perhaps it'll be that elusive Fourth Character so we can finally give him or her the shoo-in label he or she deserves? :troll:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
calling it now, DK Jr is the 4th character :troll:
I am fine with that. I've always wanted Donkey Kong Jr. back since his last playable appearance (Mario Tennis 64). I also liked his arcade game and I liked playing as Donkey Kong Jr. in the original Super Mario Kart and Mario's Tennis (for the Virtual Boy).

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I am fine with that. I've always wanted Donkey Kong Jr. back since his last playable appearance (Mario Tennis 64). I also liked his arcade game and I liked playing as Donkey Kong Jr. in the original Super Mario Kart and Mario's Tennis (for the Virtual Boy).
Glad to see another DK Jr fan, ive wanted to see him again for a very long time. If he is indeed the 4th character that would be awesome and a call back to what DKC almost was since DKJR was supposed to be with dk until they brought in diddy instead. And for the record i wont make a claim like hed be a shoo in if he was revealed, that would be foolish, i dont want any claims of bandwagoning or anything like that after the fact either.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am still saying it'll be Lanky Kong, as he's the most logical to remain hidden and is the only one small enough to still serve as a piggyride for DK.

Anyway, am still expecting Dixie to be playable. If she wasn't considered before, and King K.Rool is done, I think they've began working on her after they knew of her inclusion in Tropical Freeze. Speaking of, am still kinda bugged Tropical Freeze can't have both Diddy and Dixie on-screen togheter.

Dixie is still awesome though. And if they shrugged of K.Rool early already (which I really hope they don't) Dixie will surely be considered again. Am quite positive she'll make it in.

And she's gonna kick ass.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Well just because this thread hasn't seen any action in awhile...

YEAH! GO DIXIE!

Still don't know if she should be a standalone character or a tag team mechanic with Diddy. The tag team mechanic would make her being semi-clone more appropriate I think, and would embrace her debut game. But playing as her alone for once would be nice.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I personally want them as a duo just for the sake of saving a slot. :p
I'm fine with either Dixie Kong alone, Diddy+Dixie team, or even Dixie+Kiddy team (I liked DKC3, deal with it)... I just want Dixie Kong. Period.

D

Deleted member

Them being a duo wouldn't "save a slot".
The same amount of work that would be needed to make Dixie a standalone would almost be the same exact amount of work that would be needed to have her as a tag-team DKC2 style with only one move being replaced with a tag-in feature and maybe a Final Smash change.

It still "takes a slot" away from someone else.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
And besides, I think Dixie and Diddy deserve to be playable on their own.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I can see Dixie work perfecly fine for herself ~
I do want K.Rool over Dixie, but I would also LOVE Dixie Kong in the game! If I see Dixie Revealed before the Game's release, then I believe both have a good shot at being in the game :) (Unlockables are usually not revea¨led until the release of the game)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The same amount of work that would be needed to make Dixie a standalone would almost be the same exact amount of work that would be needed to have her as a tag-team DKC2 style with only one move being replaced with a tag-in feature and maybe a Final Smash change.

So Nana takes away a slot? Just curious.
I guess if they actually plan a Diddy + Dixie they would have to bide more time to make it work.

D

Deleted member

Nana is just a reskin of Popo.
Dixie would not be a reskin of Diddy. Especially when the planned tag-team was DKC style, as in YOU SWITCH THE CHARACTER WHO IS LEADER.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Which Retro Studios just discarded wholly and everyone is basically a Donkey Kong-riding power up now outside of 1 Player Mode. And even in Multiplayer, Player 1 is DK-locked. So if anything, DK should swap characters on his back a la Pokémon Trainer. And who wants that?

DKC2 was still beast though. But I'd much rather have them 'rep' the game via music and perhaps a stage. Bramble Scramble for example would be amazing.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
The cool about dixie is that she is more than just diddys girlfriend... come on guys, tag teams suck balls.

I want the hovering to be a normal move or even a "glide" rather than her upB, and the gum could make the floor sticky like the honey in the beehives, btw.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Tag teams where great in the SNES DKC games. At least you where allowed to pick your own Kong. Think the system Retro made is far worse.

I just wanna play as Diddy alone. Can't do that in DKCR, so Smash is the next best thing. Don't ruin it now...

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

And it would require additional work beyond simply creating the two characters in that the duo difficulties that led to Dixie being cut from Brawl in the first place would have to be fixed, along with whatever new difficulties manifested themselves on the 3DS.

The duo mechanic idea needs to burn up in flames.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
The only reason I even suggested a Diddy/Dixie tag team is because Sakurai almost implemented it in Brawl (at least its rumored he did, but Dixie was definitely on the disc). Let's be reasonable. There's a good chance we're going to get Dixie no matter what.

1. She has been playable in more games than any other Kong besides DK and Diddy. DKR:DS, the Mario Baseball Games/Hoops, and of course DKC2, DKC3 and DKL3, along with the Japanese Donkey Konga sequels, King of Swing etc.
2. She is playable in a brand new game that Sakurai will most definitely be promoting. In what better way than introducing Dixie as a playable character?
3. She adds another playable female.
4. She is a very popular character so far as I can tell.
5. Furries who can't have Krystal may be quelled a bit (not meaning to be offensive but...true).
6. DK needs a third rep. K. Rool is an obvious candidate too but between him and Dixie its a no brainer.
7. She has unique potential provided a little creativity is put in to distinguish her from Diddy.
8. She is one of the Forbidden 7.
9. Dat hair.

Top Bottom