• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Since Sakurai likes to troll, I'm expecting Dixie to have a poker-face in this game. :troll:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I've officially decided. I am 100% confident in Dixie's inclusion. If she is included, I may have to have a new secondary, or even a new main, provided my staples don't return. Whether she's with Diddy or standalone, I'm sold. She's in. I decree it so.

K. Rool may make it too of course.

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
I was under the impression that sakurai likes to put in the hero, side kick, villain, female. And sort of in that order

Like we received fox, falco, then wolf or Mario luigi bowser then peach. This was sort of the reason I thought zero suit came in before riddley because her game needed a side kick before a villain.

Think that might effect Dixie's chances?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I was under the impression that sakurai likes to put in the hero, side kick, villain, female. And sort of in that order

Like we received fox, falco, then wolf or Mario luigi bowser then peach. This was sort of the reason I thought zero suit came in before riddley because her game needed a side kick before a villain.

Think that might effect Dixie's chances?
I think you are kind of making this up, especially the "villain then female" part, as Bowser and Peach made it together to Melee.

And also Ganondorf wasn't even planned before Zelda in Melee, as he was simply a late addition, which runs counter to your point.

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
oh for sure, this is totally something that ive made up but i feel its struck pretty true. ps my bad on the female thing, i usually just think of it as the female/waste of space character. like that character thats relevant but not as important as the other guys. but i mean if he does have this sort of pattern established in his head predicting things could be easier. my main point is that the third slot is meant for the villain. it helps balance the family out better.

i.e-
hero / sidekick / villain / other guy
mario luigi bowser peach (this is better supported with the rumor that bowser was wanted on the 64)
pika jiggs mewtwo pichu
link zelda ganondorf y. link (zelda would be the best spot for sidekick especially because of shiek)
fox falco wolf
kirby meta dededee
samus zero
dk diddy

im not saying this is perfect as shown by lucario, but im pretty sure its something. wouldnt having three heroes seem like an unbalanced way to rep the games they come from?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dixie and K.Rool should both make it. No excuses.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Y'know, if Dixie's in the game she might get revealed around November. Or we might get news that Diddy's back instead of a Dixie reveal. I mean, Olimar was confirmed around the time Pikmin 3 got released, so maybe Dixie will get some love in the same way.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Diddy will have to be confirmed first I think yeah...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm not too pleased though with Diddy's decreased importance in the series. Was hoping he could be selectable as main Kong to in 1P mode, and tag with Dixie and the 4th character. But now he'd just one of 3 'lesser' Kongs who is playable amongst DK, who's always on screen. Wether single or multiplayer.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I'm not too pleased though with Diddy's decreased importance in the series. Was hoping he could be selectable as main Kong to in 1P mode, and tag with Dixie and the 4th character. But now he'd just one of 3 'lesser' Kongs who is playable amongst DK, who's always on screen. Wether single or multiplayer.

Well, look on the bright side... there's always sports spin-offs?

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I don't think the 4th ccharacter is a kong. They seem to be avoiding that distinction, cuz when someone says kong they say character. Maybe it's some new animal buddy.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I thought up a forward tilt for Dixie Kong

She coils her blonde hair behind her and leans on one side of her body, then shifts her weight to the opposite side to swing her hair and make it spank the ground. Those who get hit by it just as its about to smack the ground receive a stronger strike, while those who get hit in mid-swing are punished less. The move's not TOO powerful, but it can kill, particularly the full swing...once certain percentages are reached, of course. Has good range thanks to Dixie's hair and the fact that she leans outward.

I'll upload this to my sketch thread soon, but its a bit heavy with Dixie art ATM. Anyway, what do y'all think of the attack?

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Thanks, I wasn't sure if that should be a smash attack or a FTilt for a while actually. I had a few of both in mind and I still have a hard time choosing a favorite, but if anything they'll just be backup ideas.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't get how people think of her as an automatic clone of Diddy. A semi clone at worst perhaps, but at least as unique as Wolf. That aside, outside of Side and Down B, she can use none of Diddy's specials.

And whoa that picture is awesome! :love:

Such a move could also work as a Neutral B. Which could be a grounded Helicopter Spin like attack, working sprt of like a powered up AAA combo of MetaKnight.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Yo....I NEVER considered it as a Neutral Special before! Glad you like the pic, hopefully I'll be able to inspire others to think up moves for Dixie that would feel natural for her. She's got what it takes to stand out, especially with that 3rd arm growing out the back of her head.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
You know what? After some consideration, I decided to become a full fledged supporter of Dixie! Probably the most likely newcomer alongside Little Mac :)

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Dixie is my most wanted DKC newcomer, so throw me into her support ring. Whether she's a tag team with Diddy or her own character, doesn't matter to me. DKC2 and DKC3 are some of my favorite games of all time. Love this chimp, want her playable in Smash.

Ponytail throws FTW.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am glad I see much less 'Dixie is a Diddy clone' bull**** around.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Lefou, I'm afraid I've been thinkiiiiing...

You know how a lot of us used to argue that Dixie would not become part of Diddy's moveset because Sakurai hadn't changed many veterans' movesets prior to that point? How we theorized that he didn't change them because he wanted to keep those characters' mains happy? I definitely don't think we can argue that anymore after seeing what he did to Bowser and Pit. I know many of us think Dixie shouldn't become part of Diddy's moveset, but as to whether she actually will, I think there's a chance it could happen. At the very least, you can't really say "Sakurai revisits ideas" without considering what his original idea for those two Kongs was in the first place.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It could easily happen of coarse. I'd only then be extra pissed cause you cannot pair Diddy and Dixie up in Tropical Freeze...

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
We gotta get Venus to update the support list XD
Lefou, I'm afraid I've been thinkiiiiing...

You know how a lot of us used to argue that Dixie would not become part of Diddy's moveset because Sakurai hadn't changed many veterans' movesets prior to that point? How we theorized that he didn't change them because he wanted to keep those characters' mains happy? I definitely don't think we can argue that anymore after seeing what he did to Bowser and Pit. I know many of us think Dixie shouldn't become part of Diddy's moveset, but as to whether she actually will, I think there's a chance it could happen. At the very least, you can't really say "Sakurai revisits ideas" without considering what his original idea for those two Kongs was in the first place.
I think Dixie's pairing with Diddy should be based on whether it fits with who she is. Sakurai seems to add characters based on Nintendo's history and usually makes them stay true to how the game(s) portrays them. If Dixie's only role was as a sidekick or companion kong, it'd make sense to pair her. If she never had a starring role or proved that she can't function without help (like Pikmin/Olimar), then again, pairing her would be very logical. However, Dixie's proven that she can and has stood on her own and starred in an adventure. Her merits don't revolve around being just a "player 2" (Nana), alter ego (Shiek), dependent fighter (Olimar/Pikmin), or a fighter under a leader's command (Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard).

Upsetting our current perception of Diddy in SSB isn't the main issue here--it's making sure the characters get in based on their merits and are portrayed based on what they've done in their games. Is being Diddy's sidekick the only thing we know about Dixie? I've said it a thousand times: pairing them because of one game is like pairing the Mario Bros (which includes a literal "Player 2" btw). In fact, Diddy was introduced as a sidekick and remains a partner of DK's to this day. Shouldn't they be paired? Especially when they're together more often? Based on our current knowledge, Diddy and Dixie have been paired as much as DK and Dixie. How bout we pair them?

Sakurai includes characters as a way to celebrate Nintendo history and show what they can do through their respective series. Look how he's handling Mega Man. I doubt he'd base Dixie on one game when he's making sure that an outsider showcases as much of his Nintendo history as he can.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Birthnote said:
This is preaching to the choir for a lot of us, who can recognize that each Kong's individuality and representation of all their source material outweighs one "cool" gimmick from one game (that's really just a combination of two existing gimmicks that need revamping anyways). I'm just crossing my fingers Sakurai feels the same. Even when people being up that Dixie should be paired up with Diddy to "make space" for K. Rool, I don't buy it, because the characters would require the same amount of work either way, and possibly even more as a duo due to the mechanic being convoluted enough to not work once before.

EDIT: Technically the duo mechanic is also in DKC2 GBA, but nobody's counting, right?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Still, if Sakurai already had trouble with Ice Cimbers on the 3 DS version, am thinking he will refrain from adding more characters with duo gimmicks in this time.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
This topic really needs more activity. Nintendo's biggest heroine aside from Samus, Peach, and Zelda, certainly deserves it.

Dixie Kong is certainly among the Top 15 most wanted newcomers for Smash 4, and I think before the game's release, she is probably going to end up being within the Top 10.

I would be interested to see if the release of Tropical Freeze ends up boosting interest in her.

On the note of Tropical Freeze, I am thinking the fourth Kong in that game will probably be Funky, Kiddy, or possibly Cranky. Personally, I would like to see K. Rool as a fourth playable character though.

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
Why on earth would King K. Rool be a starter? Not all villains has be starters you know. The newcomer unlockble ratio in Brawl was terrible. Making all Dk characters starters also tastes sour.

"But muh Kirby"
The Kirby characters were the main characters in the story mode. Plus they are Sakurai characters.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I like the idea of having K.Rool and Dixie as unlockables. And yes, Dixie deserves far more attention than she's getting,

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Yet another thread for a character I supprot, but have yet to visit. UNTIL NOW.

I have a feeling that if both K. Rool and Dixie got in, Dixie would be a starter, and K. Rool would be unlockable.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Bumping this because I'd appreciate an answer regarding a subject I've seen tossed around, mainly on GameFAQS: Dixie is unique because her hair grants her a third appendage.

I'd like additional explanation as to why this third appendage makes Dixie unique, because as far as I can tell, moveset-wise, its usage would be minimally different from her just attacking multiple times with her regular appendages.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Hair grabs could function like DK's cargo. And potential for gliding and recovery options of coarse. Attacks with her hair could also make her unique.

Granted, she's no K.Rool, but easily better than 85% of all potential newcomers.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Dixie's hair acts as an arm, a whip, and a helecopter. There is so much potential in all of that. Start with a little Donkey Kong, throw in a bit of Zero Suit Samus with a pinch of Meta Knight and... The game is ruined. Leave her out, over powered S tier confirmed!

Seriously though, 5th arm, whip, helecopter, that's all you need.

Top Bottom