• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

D

Deleted member

I'm all for Dixie Kong's appearance. After Tropical Freeze and the Villager's inclusion, I think she's among the most likely newcomers for this game. Would be shocked if she didn't appear in Smash.

Though King K. Rool still has a good shot.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Both should be in. * insert video of cute little Asian girl asking why we can't have both*

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No. And no again.

DK, Diddy, Dixie, K.Rool.

All 4 separate.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Do you guys think Dixie would most likely be a semi clone of Diddy? or designed from ground up?

I'm thinking she'll have mostly the same A moves but with some different specials.

Both should be in. * insert video of cute little Asian girl asking why we can't have both*
She's Mexican. Not Asian. :glare:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Do you guys think Dixie would most likely be a semi clone of Diddy? or designed from ground up?

I'm thinking she'll have mostly the same A moves but with some different specials.
I think that they could use SOME attacks, but i think that most of her attacks would be original.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

She's Mexican. Not Asian. :glare:
I'm hoping she gets a moveset from the ground up. I thought up a bunch of stuff for her and wrote it down, but I don't wanna show it in text so I'm drawing it out. I doubt it'd be anything like what we'll get from her in game but making movesets is really fun.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think things are really looking up for Dixie Kong. She is getting her first mainline appearance in a DK game since 1996, and Sakurai going with the the Villager (a character he planned during Brawl), shows Dixie Kong's chance may be better than we think. However, I still think Dixie Kong will likely end up a hidden character, so Dixie Kong fans are likely going to have to wait another 1.5 years for a confirmation of their favorite Kong. However, Dixie's return to prominence with Tropical Freeze has at least made a lot more people comfortable with the idea that not only that Dixie Kong deserves inclusion, but also that DK as a whole is a series that should have four playable characters.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I really don't think Tropical Freeze does anything for her chances, because it's not a relevancy game. But once again, both she and K. Rool don't need it, because their qualifications are already good enough.

I'll agree with Chrono though that it does help people understand DK can/should have four reps.

Word.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Honestly, I'd be pretty overjoyed if we got Dixie playable. Even if it where to mean no King K.Rool, even though he's my most wanted ever since Diddy got in Brawl.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
there is also the fact that sakuri probably knew about TF a year before we did...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No he probably doesn't. However, Dixie is now an extremely likely choice to add as a late semi-clone if she or King K.Rool haven't been planned yet.

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
there is also the fact that sakuri probably knew about TF a year before we did...

Maybe not a full year, but it makes a lotta sense that he'd look into DK's near future as well as his history, if he was aware there was an upcoming DK game he would likely talk with the developers about character inclusions, etc.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
well, we do know that retro pulled their game out of las t year's E3, so TF could maybe have more influence than we think.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I really don't think it has as much influence as you guys think. Once again, it's not a game of relevancy, Dixie will get in on her own merits or not at all.

@Maffewt: It's simpler than that. Unlike for Pokemon and FE, He doesn't have to ask about the first party characters, like Dixie or K. Rool or otherwise. So...yeah.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Honestly, I'd be pretty overjoyed if we got Dixie playable. Even if it where to mean no King K.Rool, even though he's my most wanted ever since Diddy got in Brawl.

Most wanted huh?

(could've sworn that was someone else...)

But yeah, bring on Dixie. I'd truly forgotten how much I like her.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Has anyone else seen more interest in Dixie Kong since E3? I know here that the announcement of Tropical Freeze (and to a lesser extent Sakurai going with the Villager as one of his first newcomers) has created some more interest in the monkey girl with the whirl.

I have not been to GameFAQs in a while (just from a glance they seem as stupid as ever), so I am not sure if the increased interest in Dixie Kong is solely a SmashBoards phenomenon.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Has anyone else seen more interest in Dixie Kong since E3? I know here that the announcement of Tropical Freeze (and to a lesser extent Sakurai going with the Villager as one of his first newcomers) has created some more interest in the monkey girl with the whirl.

I have not been to GameFAQs in a while (just from a glance they seem as stupid as ever), so I am not sure if the increased interest in Dixie Kong is solely a SmashBoards phenomenon.

Knowing Gamefaqs, Dixie's sudden relevance has likely caused a significant increase in cries for her inclusion there. Just wait until K. Rool shows up somewhere...then we'll see who gets the last laugh. :laugh:

Still though, it's great to see Dixie back in the spotlight again!

D

Deleted member

Surprisingly not really. Unfortunately, the increased support for Dixie seems to be more based off of recency than actually liking the character. Which is disappointing to see considering that I really like Dixie and was hoping to see more supporters that liked her for who she was.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I expected as much, tbh. The "recency crowd" have no real taste.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ya know. Dixie's growing on me.

I would prefer both Dixie AND K.Rool, but I think I would be satisfied if we only got one of them.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Ya know. Dixie's growing on me.

I would prefer both Dixie AND K.Rool, but I think I would be satisfied if we only got one of them.

I'm still in the "Both or K. Rool" camp, but we'll see how I feel in a few months. Maybe my feels will change.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm still in the "Both or K. Rool" camp, but we'll see how I feel in a few months. Maybe my feels will change.
At this point any DK newcomer would satisfy me.

This is assuming that DK and Diddy stay as their OWN SEPARATE characters of course.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
At this point any DK newcomer would satisfy me.

This is assuming that DK and Diddy stay as their OWN SEPARATE characters of course.
I'd be pretty pleased with the Diddy+Dixie team up honestly. Seperate characters or together, it's awesome. Having that and K. Rool has gotta be a DKC fan's dream come true.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Admittedly, Tropical Freeze has made me ever so slightly less eager to see Dixie in Smash because she no longer has what SSBF calls the 'life support' effect, whereas K. Rool almost certainly does now (I thought both of them had this effect before E3). She's still be a good character and all, I just don't want my favorite villain dead because of neglect by developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

It's not an increase, it's more like justification! I mean, it's a damn blasted shame a character like Dixie got so little love here at the forums before E3.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Admittedly, Tropical Freeze has made me ever so slightly less eager to see Dixie in Smash because she no longer has what SSBF calls the 'life support' effect, whereas K. Rool almost certainly does now (I thought both of them had this effect before E3). She's still be a good character and all, I just don't want my favorite villain dead because of neglect by developers, developers, developers, developers, developers, developers.
This is my exact feeling right now. Dixie's now relevant again and will probably continue to be whereas K. Rool's fate is to be determined.

However, I maintain that K. Rool will be back eventually regardless of whether he's in Smash or otherwise, and that we have the power to make it happen.

Still, Dixie rocks.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
King K.Rool will be brought back eventually. Am even seeing it that Retro will add in Kremlings as the main enemies in the next Returns game.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'd have more confidence that Kremlings will return if that weren't what every optimistic fan was saying after Returns as well.

Dixie is at least a step in the right direction, but I don't get why Retro is so opposed to larger casts of fun characters, or at least casts that aren't artificially bloated by effing pigs. ._.

D

Deleted member

I haven't really seen any "life support" effect for Dixie Kong even after her absence in Donkey Kong Country Returns. King K. Rool certainly has it, though and it's only been exacerbated by his likely absence from Tropical Freeze.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I haven't really seen any "life support" effect for Dixie Kong even after her absence in Donkey Kong Country Returns. King K. Rool certainly has it, though and it's only been exacerbated by his likely absence from Tropical Freeze.
The effect might not have spread over to Smash fans, but there was plenty of worry among DK fans, who feared that Diddy's new jetpack function had essentially made Dixie obsolete. Just goes to show that things aren't always what they appear.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
The effect might not have spread over to Smash fans, but there was plenty of worry among DK fans, who feared that Diddy's new jetpack function had essentially made Dixie obsolete. Just goes to show that things aren't always what they appear.

Definitely a great point. I was worried about that as well. It just goes to show they can find a reason to fit things in if the fans want them.

And I'm actually not assuming K. Rool and krew are going to be in the next Returns game, just optimistic. In fact, I think it would be up to massive fan outcry (greater than before, and more noticeable) to make it happen. I think we could easily organize that though.) I'm also still of the opinion that things aren't as bad as they seem for errbody's favorite krazy kroc.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
I think four DK reps isn't an unreasonable thing to ask, considering that it's one of the franchises that led to Nintendo's success, it's still pretty big, and both Dixie and K. Rool are well-known characters. Dixie's recent confirmation in Tropical Freeze makes me think she's more likely, in the case we only get one new character. While it's true that the character roster was finalized a long time ago, I think it's possible that Nintendo either told him in advance about Tropical Freeze, or at least told him to add Dixie Kong to Smash.

I'm kind of hoping that Diddy and Dixie get paired, actually. As long as they switch with a taunt (Diddy shouldn't lose any of his moves), it would be neat to have a tag team. That being said, Dixie would still be fun to play as her own character!

If there's one thing I think Dixie SHOULD have, it's the ability to glide. Also, bananas would be nice, but if she's paired with Diddy, it's not that important.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I think it's plenty possible for 2 DK reps. I mean, if my predictions are right, DK as well as animal crossing will have at least two new reps this game. I think Metroid also might have two new reps this game as well.

what can I say, good things come in pairs.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Metroid having two new reps as well? Such pre-Brawl era level of optimism.

Still not sure whether I think we'll have K. Rool or Dixie or both.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
notice how i put it after my predictions of DK and AC having two reps. maybe it wasn't clear, but I think it might be possible for metroid to have 2 new reps, but I think it's far less likely than DK and AC.

yeah, read my other post again. it wasn't clear at all :/

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
what can I say, good things come in pairs.
I've seen too many a pairing in my time. Not that I wouldn't mind it, but that's a lot of fan-art to sift through.

Metroid having two new reps as well? Such pre-Brawl era level of optimism.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

That all said, I'm at least glad even if she isn't in this, I'll still be able to play as her in DKTF.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Always wanted Dixie, but I have to admit the Tropical Freeze return made me want her more.

Just the kind of female rep that the roster needs. All of the current females are too... serious.
Except Jigglypuff, but no one likes her.

Top Bottom