• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Try and listen to this and not hum with it I dare you!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's been on replay ever since I posted it here. Am not even that much into game music, but damn, DKC music I'll always listen.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
doing a playthrough/lets play on DKC2 now because of fond memories. thanks diddy for reminding me.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I saw a little toy of Dixie Kong today. Was in a pack full of other Mario characters. WAS PRETTY SURPRISING.

Actually didn't someone say the same thing earlier in this thread.

D

Deleted member

Should post in the Dixie Kong thread more often.
I saw a little toy of Dixie Kong today. Was in a pack full of other Mario characters. WAS PRETTY SURPRISING.

I know that Starphoenix made a mention about a Dixie Kong toy back in late 2011 in the old thread, but I don't feel like digging that one up. It was a jab at "recentness" being the end-all, be-all of character decisions.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

One of these you mean?

Here's also a few pallate swaps for Dixie:

And also, a Dixie-Kirby:

Anyways, I don't really like the attitude most people have towards Dixie Kong support. She's basically seen as inferior to King K.Rool by most, and while I agree that he'd perhaps make a more awesome newcomer, I really don't think this has anything to do with should get Dixie in or not.

She warrants her own place on the roster I feel, as togheter with Diddy she's one of the most important main characters of the SNES DKCs, which up today are still the most iconic games in the series, and always been the main inspiration for DK content in Smash... With exception of the HORRIBLE Brawl stages, and that stupid, stupid, STUPID Spring item. Oh and I guess Diddy's special moves, as they came from DK64.

But it's not like Dixie cannot be inspired on DK64 either. Tiny Kong has a lot of cool moves they could inspire Dixie's moveset on. Maybe it's not much ,but it's something in the least. It works far better than say, giving Kiddy Kong Chunky Kong's moves. As Tiny and Dixie are siblings, yet still quite similar. Also, Dixie will probably get a costume based off Tiny's new appearance.

Dixie is too soon being disregarded as 'Diddy clone' which is pretty much impossible. She couldn't be a full clone anyway due to obvious reasons:

-No Peanut Popgun
-No Rocketbarrel
-No tail
-She doesn't cartwheel
-In DKC her main way of attacking is using her hair
-She has the Helicopter Spin

She'd make a good semi-clone though, in the way of how Ness and Lucas are done. Same weight, size and jumping stats, but small differences with Diddy still. I for example think she'd be far more floaty, a little weaker and slower but with extra range from her hair. Also, Diddy could easily have a bit of revamping in his moveset so that he uses his tail more, cause Dixie obviously cannot do that.

Anyways, Dixie is awesome. She doesn't mess around.
Better respect her, cause she's a valid newcomer.

And yes I'll probably will defend her more fiercly from now on.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I blame rare for the "Dixie will just be a Diddy clone" sentiments. If they weren't so lazy back in the day with making new characters it'd be harder for people to see her as a potential clone. Their main way of thinking back then was "let's take an existing character, give him some different clothes and hairstyle and voila! We've got a new character!" It's exactly the same idea applied to most Sonic fan characters you see on the internet, and its uncreative. They did it with Funky, and Swanky: "let's take DK and change him up a bit! No one will catch on!"

I wouldn't be surprised if the real reason Dixie and Kiddy got replaced in DK64 was because rare knew just how lazy they were in the SNES days, and decided to come up with more original attempts. Diddy and Dixie look more like siblings than Tiny and Dixie. How sad is that?

D

Deleted member

While I don't agree with the stupid idea that Dixie is nothing but a Diddy clone, to say it's impossible for Dixie to be a clone is equally stupid.

No tail? Use ponytail instead. It's not like Diddy uses the tail for most of his moves anyway (and not all clones use the exact same moves; case in point, how Ganondorf only had the one strike instead of a combo attack like C. Falcon).
No Peanut Popgun or Rocket Barrels? I don't remember Ganondorf ever using anything remotely similar to a Falcon Punch, nor Dr. Mario using a "Super Sheet". Hell, Pichu used a pair of moves it couldn't even learn.
Doesn't cartwheel? Too bad. Doesn't mean she is physically incapable of doing one.
Her main way of attacking is her hair? What about Ganondorf's main way of attacking, again? Oh that's, right, flying and shooting energy balls. Then later, he started using swords.
Helicopter Spin? Again, Ganondorf's Dead Man's Volley attack.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm kind of indifferent towards Dixie. If she gets in, great. If she doesn't, I won't bother much.

D

Deleted member

I'm in the same boat.
Not against Dixie, but not exactly for her either. I know she is more deserving, but I'd actually rather see Funky Kong.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I blame rare for the "Dixie will just be a Diddy clone" sentiments. If they weren't so lazy back in the day with making new characters it'd be harder for people to see her as a potential clone. Their main way of thinking back then was "let's take an existing character, give him some different clothes and hairstyle and voila! We've got a new character!" It's exactly the same idea applied to most Sonic fan characters you see on the internet, and its uncreative. They did it with Funky, and Swanky: "let's take DK and change him up a bit! No one will catch on!"

I wouldn't be surprised if the real reason Dixie and Kiddy got replaced in DK64 was because rare knew just how lazy they were in the SNES days, and decided to come up with more original attempts. Diddy and Dixie look more like siblings than Tiny and Dixie. How sad is that?
Lazy?

All of the Kongs play quite differently from each other. Only similarities I'd make are DK and Kiddy Kong perhaps. Diddy and Dixie are nothing alike. Not even in appearance do they look alike, let alone how they play. It was one of the strongest points of the franchise in my opinion, the difference in the characters. For a platforming game, there where quite some differences between the characters. Dixie is not just 'new clothes + new hairstyle = new character' at all. Her hair is part of design in her playstyle, she can fricking Helicopter Spin.

I mean, do you even DKC?

Golden, I have a real hard time taking that post seriously. There's a whole lot of difference between Dixie and Ganondorf, and all that goes against Ganondorf is that he was a very late Melee clone. Yet, he's still the most unique of all clones in Melee. Keep note that Dixie has been playable on her own, while Ganondorf hasn't.

All the other points I basically find moot. Dixie won't use Peanut Popguns, it would make as much sence as Falco using Krystal's staff for example. It would just be plain stupid.

This all reminds me way too much of the pre-Brawl days where trolls came in just to call Diddy nothing but a DK clone. :rolleyes:

So again, reasons why she won't be a full clone:

-No Peanut Popgun
-No Rocketbarrel
-No tail
-She doesn't cartwheel

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The tag team mechanic with Diddy and Dixie could have been fun. I am not sure if I am excited about Dixie without that mechanic.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I, for one, support dixie in any way. I'd prefer a standalone character, but if something else is done I wouldn't be too upset.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Diddy and Dixie would've been so God Tier, would make MetaKnight feel like he's Pichu...

Dixie might not be the most flashy newcomer, but she'd surely be interessting. She'd be a very grab orientated character, and a sort of mix between DK and Diddy's playstyles.

And now that I think about it, Dixie could very well have an improved version of DK's Spinning Kong, and DK could get a new Up B move.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

-No Peanut Popgun
-No Rocketbarrel
-No tail
-She doesn't cartwheel
So I've come to the conclusion that out of the 23 attacks which make up a character's moveset in smash, 17 would be borrowed from Diddy and 6 would be unique. Looks very much cloney to me. :troll: jk.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I really don't think that they will change the smash 64 veterans THAT much (other than maybe giving luigi the poltergust and switching mario's cape for his spin). I don't see Donkey getting changed that much.

D

Deleted member

Golden, I have a real hard time taking that post seriously. There's a whole lot of difference between Dixie and Ganondorf, and all that goes against Ganondorf is that he was a very late Melee clone. Yet, he's still the most unique of all clones in Melee. Keep note that Dixie has been playable on her own, while Ganondorf hasn't.

All the other points I basically find moot. Dixie won't use Peanut Popguns, it would make as much sence as Falco using Krystal's staff for example. It would just be plain stupid.

This all reminds me way too much of the pre-Brawl days where trolls came in just to call Diddy nothing but a DK clone. :rolleyes:

-No Peanut Popgun
-No Rocketbarrel
-No tail
-She doesn't cartwheel
Perhaps not the Popgun, but you yourself mentioned Dixie's moves being "inspired" by her sister Tiny.
Tiny has a weapon like the Peanut Popgun; the Feather Bow.

Meaning, in lieu of shooting peanuts, by what you said, Dixie can possibly shoot feathers instead in the same manner.
Having a different weapon doesn't make a difference if it's used the same way. Otherwise, Dr. Mario (who you absolutely love to attack) is not a "full clone" because he tosses pills instead of fireballs.

Dixie also has a substitution available for the Rocketbarrels.
Or did you forget that Barrel Blast exists?

That's two for two. Given that Monkey Flip and Banana Peel are horribly generic, it's not like she can't do them either.
And then, with the Bongo Jet and Feather Bow, she can recreate the Rocketbarrel Barrage Final Smash, though using one weapon instead of two.

Diddy only uses his tail for two attacks. TWO. Dixie not having a tail doesn't mean jack squat. Especially when both attacks he uses the tail for can either easily be substituted with using her ponytail instead, or replaced with something else. Toon Link is a clone (pretty much the only "full" clone in Brawl), yet has a few moves different from Link due to his short legs being unable to feasibly do Link's kicking attacks. For a non-Ganondorf Melee example, Pichu has a completely different Up Smash than Pikachu due to his short tail, yet is still a "full" clone. Hell, in 64, Luigi is a clone of Mario with only one move that's completely different.

"Doesn't cartwheel" has to be the most idiotic argument I have seen.
Doesn't =/= Can't. She has the exact same body type as Diddy aside from the tail/ponytail difference. If Diddy can cartwheel, so can Dixie. It's not like it's some super special technique that only Diddy is allowed to master.
Smash has done worse examples, such as Zelda using spells Link learns or, from a clone perspective, Dr. Mario's "Super Sheet", which came out of nowhere.

"Main way of attacking is her hair". So? This doesn't mean that she can't be a clone.

"She has Helicopter Spin". Try to argue that "Ganondorf was a mistake" all you want. It does not change the fact that Ganondorf was turned into a clone despite having his own things such as Dead Man's Volley. If that can happen, than Dixie having a notable technique doesn't make Dixie safe from being a clone. (And the technique is ironically similar to DK's Spinning Kong anyway :laugh:)

Am I arguing that Dixie will be a clone? No. In fact, I don't think it will happen, with Wolf level of semi-clone at worst case scenario.
However, it is not "impossible" as you claim it to be with heavily flawed and biased reasoning.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Lazy?

All of the Kongs play quite differently from each other. Only similarities I'd make are DK and Kiddy Kong perhaps. Diddy and Dixie are nothing alike. Not even in appearance do they look alike, let alone how they play. It was one of the strongest points of the franchise in my opinion, the difference in the characters. For a platforming game, there where quite some differences between the characters. Dixie is not just 'new clothes + new hairstyle = new character' at all. Her hair is part of design in her playstyle, she can fricking Helicopter Spin.

I mean, do you even DKC?
Tell me, how different do Funky and Swanky look from DK, and how different from Diddy does Dixie look compared to her sister? Diddy and his girlfriend have similarly styled eyes, a similar body, height, both are monkey-like, have a shirt and hat but no pants, and to make matters worse were paired up in a game. How many people would look at DK64's Tiny Kong and label her a potential Diddy clone?

You're really trying to make a case for Rare's innovation in the SNES days when they took a freaking beaver, vulture, bee and oil drum that you often see and resized them, and in some cases recolored them, then labelled them as a boss?

Yes the kongs play differently from eachother, but do you honestly think the people who have no idea about DKC can instantly see that when they look at them? I'm stressing the laziness of her appearance; if she didn't look like Diddy's twin sister maybe it'd be harder to make the "LOL Diddy clone" assumption. If Rare put more effort into her look we wouldn't have this problem.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Dixie shouldn't be a clone. there is much to work with that diddy doesn't have. like bubblegum:troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am I arguing that Dixie will be a clone? No. In fact, I don't think it will happen, with Wolf level of semi-clone at worst case scenario.
However, it is not "impossible" as you claim it to be with heavily flawed and biased reasoning.
Ok then you're right cause that was what I was personally seeing to. And even IF they'd base her moveset on Diddy's Specials using the Feather Bow and Barrel Blast Rocketbarrels I expect them at least to be as different as Ness and Lucas. Which would make the most sence in my opinion.

@Birthnote:

Funky has looked drastically different from DK ever since DK64 and forward. Rare was still responsible for his first redesign. And seeing as all the Kongs are supposed to be relatives, why can't they look alike? Swanky is a different story, but aside from the face and build, nothing really resembles DK at all in his appearance.

Dixie and Diddy are still far more different than DK, Swanky and Funky are however. And them pairing up has resulted in one of the SNES' critically best aclaimed titles. They have quite different shaped faces and builds. Dixie also lacks a tail. As for Rare having to put more effort in her look:

http://mundorare.com/old/juegos/dkrds/renders/diddy_tiptup_car.jpg

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/_...Kong_DKRDS-2.png/534px-Dixie_Kong_DKRDS-2.png

DKC's bosses where first maybe not all too inspired, but they got progressively better. It's not like I mind actually. It kinda makes sence in a way, seeing as back in the SNES days, 3D graphic design wasn't as easy, and probably far more expensive back then. Why would you blame them using the model of enemies and DK to create bosses and helper Kongs?

Are you part of the people who said 'the cast of DKC isn't fresh enough for today's audience of gaming' when DK: Jungle Beat was made? :glare:

Are you part of the Illuminati? :glare:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
For everyone who likes DKC2 music, this is one of my favorites.
If this, along with dixie and K rool, is added, then I would be one happy man/monkey/fan/little kid

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I'd argue Dixie wasn't included as the primate version of the ice climbers because she was too unique from Diddy. Seems to me if she was intended to be an exact clone she would have doubled with Diddy no problem. In all likely hood they weren't supposed to be as similar as Nana and Popo and that's what worked against her.

While someone like Ganondorf ONLY made it in cause he had a similar body type to Captain Falcon. There was never any intention to make him more like his true Zelda character.

There are only 2 characters from the DK world that deserve Smash playability, Dixie, one of the main heroes who starred in 2 of it's main series titles, and King K Rool who played the bad guy in most of them. I don't think either should have priority over another despite me personally wanting Dixie more.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
It would be cool if we got both K.Rool and Dixie.

It would also be cool if we got Geno.... if you catch my drift.

D

Deleted member

I'm pretty sure Funky is just what would be if DK started wearing clothes other than his tie.

I swear, if DK wore a sleeveless shirt, a bandana, pants, and sunglasses just like Funky, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Well, I guess DK would also have to walk upright like he does in the cartoon too, since he does that typical gorilla posture while Funky stands like a man.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ever since DK64, Funky has looked pretty different from DK. And he even received more design changes by PAON.

Also, I see no way how this relates to Dixie.

I also wouldn't make Funky a DK clone, but a semi-clone if that's the point you're trying to make...

D

Deleted member

The only thing "different" between the two in appearance is that one wears clothes.
Seriously, that's it. If DK wore what Funky wears, or if Funky wore nothing but a necktie, the resemblance would be uncanny.

And no, I'm not making a point on Funky being a clone. I'm just saying that the two Kongs are practically twins.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
More difference between them than Mario and Luigi still.

D

Deleted member

Again, only clothes.
Luigi and Mario have more physical differences to each other than DK and Funky do.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
@Birthnote:

Funky has looked drastically different from DK ever since DK64 and forward.
Well tbh I'm focusing on Rare's SNES days, but if you're down with mentioning games proceeding DK64 then I've this to say: even to this day Funky still looks like DK with clothes, like Golden said. And even though Funky's been "redesigned" constantly, Dixie still looks exactly as she did in DKC2.

If your definition of "drastically different from DK" is based on constant wardrobe changes rather than physical features--which in that case they're completely matched--then I question what you consider "different".

Swanky is a different story, but aside from the face and build, nothing really resembles DK at all in his appearance.
That's what matters most though. And if Diddy and Dixie are supposed to be a couple, why do they resemble eachother more than Dixie and Tiny?

And if we're using family resemblance as a reason, then I guess Funky, Swanky, Dread Kong and Chained Kong are all related to DK.

Dixie and Diddy are still far more different than DK, Swanky and Funky are however. And them pairing up has resulted in one of the SNES' critically best aclaimed titles. They have quite different shaped faces and builds. Dixie also lacks a tail. As for Rare having to put more effort in her look.
Yea they put more "effort" into it, but we still have 2 monkeys with fused eye sockets, a hat and shirt with no pants, similar bodies, fur color and height, and a long extremity that trails behind them; one is a "tail", the other is a "ponyTAIL". What I listed are things one immediately notices at first glance; what you're using are things that require more examination. Tell me, what's stronger: the glaring similarities that jump out at non-DKC fans, or the subtle differences that a dedicated person would notice later on?

This is honestly like trying to argue that Mickey and Minnie Mouse look nothing alike, or Pac-Man
and Mrs. Pac-Man. It's sad when the person Dixie's dating looks more like her than her own sister does.

DKC's bosses where first maybe not all too inspired, but they got progressively better. It's not like I mind actually. It kinda makes sence in a way, seeing as back in the SNES days, 3D graphic design wasn't as easy, and probably far more expensive back then. Why would you blame them using the model of enemies and DK to create bosses and helper Kongs?
The fact that they got more creative with the design of bosses in DKC2 and beyond makes it pretty obvious how lazy they were being with DKC's. The fact that Funky got more clothes in future games compared to a board, bandana, shades and sandals reinforce that too. I'm really trying to stick to bringing up Rare's laziness in the SNES era only, because this post would be even more massive if I went beyond. Just keep in mind that DKC wasn't the only 3D looking game of Rare's back in that era. Did those characters look similar to eachother?

Are you part of the people who said 'the cast of DKC isn't fresh enough for today's audience of gaming' when DK: Jungle Beat was made? :glare:

Are you part of the Illuminati? :glare:
Nah, I'd be in my own group where I'd say some kongs need a few redesigns so they don't get labelled as lazy knockoffs in the future. If Rare made her look more distinct in areas other than color we wouldn't have this problem of defending her from people who based their clone assumptions mainly off of how she looks.

And let's be honest here; the differences you noted between them aren't cutting it. A smaller mouth and rounder eyes is nothing compared to more obvious features. It DOES help, but its not getting the job done.

Top Bottom