• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
The mechanic is very unique, but am glad we got a solo Diddy in the end.

Dixie is good enough to be her own character.

Hopefully having Dixie and K.Rool in Smash would inspire a developer to put them back in DKC. Seeing as Retro also took quite some inspiration from Brawl on Diddy (solo Peanut Popgun for example, and Diddy literally using his Forward Aerial on a Tiki when kicking him out of DK's treehouse) I think adding both woukd be the best thing ever for the series.
wow I never noticed that in DKCR. (the airial thing) probably because I don't play as diddy :troll:

D

Deleted member

I see people saying she's good enough to be her own character, but I (and don't take this the wrong way) have a hard time seeing it.
I don't see much in her that is particularly viable yet interesting.

Can someone help me out here?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I see people saying she's good enough to be her own character, but I (and don't take this the wrong way) have a hard time seeing it.
I don't see much in her that is particularly viable yet interesting.

Can someone help me out here?
well for starters, she'd be one of the characters without multiple jumps that would have good air time. thats what drew me to her, at least.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
DKC1 = Donkey Kong as main character, Diddy as helper ; mission, recover Banana Hoard
DKC2 = Diddy Kong as main character, Dixie as helper ; mission, resque Donkey Kong
DKC3 = Dixie Kong as main character, Kiddy as helper ; mission, resque Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong

Plus, her hair-based moves would make her really unique. If only for Helicopter Spin and hair grabs. Plus, considering Tiny Kong is her younger sister, her appearance in DK64 could prove to be inspiration for Dixie (double hairspin, kick AAA combo?).

D

Deleted member

First point is irrelevant. Her role means nothing to me in how she supposedly is good on her own. Given the fact that both times she played a role, it was with a partner, that doesn't really help the question.

The point I was really trying to drive home was that she doesn't really have a large arsenal of viable techniques. I mean, Diddy at least had his Peanut Popgun and Barrel Jets.
All I've seen from Dixie is the Helicopter Twirl. I mean, there's also using the ponytail as a means of attack and grabbing, but that's like saying "Diddy can cartwheel and has a tail to attack with"; it doesn't really give that much other than covering some non-Specials.
Well, I suppose there is also spawning Barrel Cannons ala Mario Hoops, but how viable is that?

Not that I'm shooting down Dixie. I'm just saying that she looks like a character that would essentially be a "hand-me-down" of various abilities from other Kongs like the Simian Slam or Orange Grenades.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
First point is irrelevant. Her role means nothing to me in how she supposedly is good on her own. Given the fact that both times she played a role, it was with a partner, that doesn't really help the question.

The point I was really trying to drive home was that she doesn't really have a large arsenal of viable techniques. I mean, Diddy at least had his Peanut Popgun and Barrel Jets.
All I've seen from Dixie is the Helicopter Twirl. I mean, there's also using the ponytail as a means of attack and grabbing, but that's like saying "Diddy can cartwheel and has a tail to attack with"; it doesn't really give that much other than covering some non-Specials.
Well, I suppose there is also spawning Barrel Cannons ala Mario Hoops, but how viable is that?

Not that I'm shooting down Dixie. I'm just saying that she looks like a character that would essentially be a "hand-me-down" of various abilities from other Kongs like the Simian Slam or Orange Grenades.
Dixie is a character that they could experiment with. look how good captain falcon came out.

the only thing I worry about is her being a clone.

D

Deleted member

Captain Falcon at least had the basis of actions taken in his vehicle as inspiration.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Diddy was also never playable alone. He was always tagged with another Kong in the main games. Only not in DK: King of Swing and I guess DK64.

I guess she's more limited in moveset potential than Diddy was pre-Brawl, and now King K.Rool easily triumphs her ( as well as basically everyone so that's no big deal :laugh: ). But still she's a good contender for a new playable DKC character. Maybe she'd be a semi-clone. But at least she'd be one of the more unique semi-clones out there.

D

Deleted member

Every time I see someone suggest using bubblegum as an attack because she chews it in an idle animation, I want to punch a baby seal.

EDIT:
"Diddy was never playable alone" "I guess he was in DK64". :laugh: Kind of a contradiction, eh?

Anyways, I see more potential in her in a tag-team concept like Sakurai planned (but with Kiddy instead of Diddy) than I see in her alone.

D

Deleted member

A lack of something to work with is no excuse for barrel-scraping ideas.

Speaking of Barrels, I suppose that a solo Dixie could theoretically use the rocket bongos from Barrel Blast to use the Wild Move technique, even if it isn't exclusive to her.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Bubblegum is the worst idea for an attack ever yeah.

Well Goden, I said he kinda was playable alone in DK64 cause he shared his playable status with 4 others. But I guess it counts yeah. Speaking off, despute Jungle Climber and Returns being great games, I hated how they made Diddy nothing more than a 'extra health bar' for DK outside of Returns in 2 Player Mode (which makes the game much better btw).

D

Deleted member

I agree on that.
Then again, Diddy kind of served the same purpose in the previous games, just that you could actually control him instead of DK if you wanted to.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I just hope they give Diddy more appropriate roles in the future. If that happens, Dixie can respectfully come back.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
okay scrapping bubblegum. just one of the things I thought of off the top of my head. but what about the guitar? surly it could be used for at least one attack. if not, then a taunt or victory?

EDIT: also hurhur post 69

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Remember that blue cat enemy in DKC2, the Cat O' Ninetails? The way he attacks could prove as inspiration for Dixie's Side B. Or Down B.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Thanks. It's really suiting for Dixie. Side B could be the same move as Diddy's perhaps, and neutral B could just be 'Hair Grab'. Where you'd be able to pick up foes with B, walk around, like DK's cargo, and throw your opponents where you want to.

D

Deleted member

So a regular grab and throws while B uses the hair to grab? I guess it would kind of make sense for her to have some throws like Diddy, considering Meta Knight has the same Up and Down throw as Kirby.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah kinda I guess.

But she'd also be able to grab items as crates and barrels with B.

D

Deleted member

How about the Wild Move idea I brought up earlier? Yay or Nay?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd like that option to be used as an attack on Diddy's Up B to make him less gimpable.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Taunt or victory pose yeah. Same with the bubblegum and juice box...

D

Deleted member

Victory pose, maybe. Move, not so much.

Then again, Diddy doesn't use a boombox at all in Brawl...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He does in Project M. :diddy:

He also juggles balls as an idle pose in it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I often suggested Diddy using his guitar from DK64 as a Final Smash in the pre-Brawl days.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Still doesn't justify Dixie using a guitar to fight with.
alright, should have been more specific. diddy probably didn't have a boombox because that wasn't his first or arguably wasn't his most important game (despite having him in the title).

dixie, on the other hand would probably have a guitar at least as a victory pose since it WAS her first appearance in a game, and still is arguably her best one. (not to mention the guitar is her victory pose in DKC2)

that last post wasn't supposed to signify fighting with the guitar, just that it would be there.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I think coming up with ideas like bubblegum, juice boxes and guitars for attacks is the result of a big problem: you're not seeing Dixie as what she is. She's not a cute little human girl with sassiness and accessories, she's a chimpanzee--a wild dangerous animal like DK and Diddy with a human hairstyle.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
but... I just specifically said I wasn't talking about using her guitar to attack...

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
She's not a chimpanzee she's a monkey. Unless she's a different species to Diddy, which would be kind of odd seeing as they look so similar.

/nitpick

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
She's not a chimpanzee she's a monkey. Unless she's a different species to Diddy, which would be kind of odd seeing as they look so similar.

/nitpick
I'm sorry, but officially Diddy is a chimpanzee with a tail. :p

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Chimpanzees are black and don't have tails though. I know some of the games say that he's a chimpanzee, but they also call DK a monkey and call Tiny's hair-spin 'ponytail' twirl when she doesn't even have a ponytail.

The games are also inconsistent, as Diddy's sideb in Brawl is called 'monkey flip'. I'm pretty sure there are other references to him being a monkey too.

Saying Diddy is a brown chimpanzee without a tail is like saying than I'm an Asian person that's white, has caucasian eyes and no Asian lineage whatsoever. It's just the games being wrong, but it's not really an important issue.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Diddy's special move in DK64 is called Chimpy Charge though. And DK has been refered to as bith monkey, and ape. Or to both DK and Diddy: stupid apes. Also, I even believe Funky called Diddy a gorilla before...

Let's just keave it at 'Kong'. That'd probably be the best. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom