• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Why does everyone hate DKC3 and think DKC2 is the best in the series? I've only played a bit of 2 and haven't played 3.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
The music's not as good as DKC2's, the K. Rool fight wasn't as memorable as the 1st or 2nd games', and the game came out around the same time as the N64. DK and Diddy weren't playable either, most of the animal buddies were replaced, no mine carts, and that's pretty much it.

The game was still good though.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I actually liked DKC3. I thought it was good. I like that each DKC game have their own unique levels and worlds. I also liked that each Kong were different from each other which offers different gameplay experiences. A Donkey/Diddy team plays differently from a Diddy/Dixie team and a Dixie/Kiddy team plays differently from the other two teams.

I hope both King K. Rool and Dixie Kong get in SSB4. I would be shocked and overjoyed if Sakurai actually added a Dixie/Kiddy team.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Play DKC2 and complete it 100% and try to deny it not being worthy being called Beat Game EVAR. If you still end up not seeing the charm, too bad. If you end up loving it, I'll send you a banana.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I wanna buy 2 and 3 (the 2 I got is damaged) but I don't wanna buy them if they don't have replayability. I know they'd be awesome to playthrough, but they seem to lack replayability once you 100% them.

The most logical thing for Sakurai would probably be to have K. Rool and team Dixie with Diddy. I know people won't like that and Diddy will be nerfed, but Diddy was probably going to get nerfed anyway. It seems like the only way DK would get four characters.

I'm actually worried that they'll put in that Tiki thing instead. The biggest threat to K. Rool and Dixie's chances is that they didn't feature in the most recent DK games or Mario spin-offs.

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
Ived played DKC2 when I was 4. I am now 18 and still find replayability out of it. The soundtrack alone is amazing.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I've played through DKC1 and loved the gameplay and the soundtrack.

What I mean by replayability is that there doesn't really seem to be any way to customize the experience after you've 100%'d the game.

For example Pokemon games have almost infinite replayability because of the amount of ways you can customize the experience. I'm currently doing a playthrough on Yellow with a mankey that knows double team mimic metronome and counter. The possibilities are endless and always keep it fresh.

Replaying the DKCs just seems like you're repeating the exact same experience, unless you're speedrunning/TASing/glitching. I'd love to be wrong though, are there many ways to customize the experience for future playthroughs?

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I wanna buy 2 and 3 (the 2 I got is damaged) but I don't wanna buy them if they don't have replayability. I know they'd be awesome to playthrough, but they seem to lack replayability once you 100% them.

The most logical thing for Sakurai would probably be to have K. Rool and team Dixie with Diddy. I know people won't like that and Diddy will be nerfed, but Diddy was probably going to get nerfed anyway. It seems like the only way DK would get four characters.

I'm actually worried that they'll put in that Tiki thing instead. The biggest threat to K. Rool and Dixie's chances is that they didn't feature in the most recent DK games or Mario spin-offs.
It would be more logical to pair Diddy and DK, cuz they've been paired in more games than Dixie and Diddy (2 DKCs, Mario spinoffs, DK Jungle Climber), and work so well together as evidenced by how they work in DKCR. Aaaaannnd....since you're using the recent ness of DKCR to voice fear of Tikis, I'm surprised you're not pushing for a DK/Diddy tag team too. I mean, it is the most recent game ATM.

Y'know, I think we should also pair Mario and Luigi. I mean think about it...they look as similar as Diddy does to Dixie, and now that I think about it...so do Kirby and Metaknight! I know some people will go 'But Mario and Luigi have their own games!' and they'd be right, but so do Dixie and Diddy! They have their own games--Diddy's got DKC2 and Diddy Kong Racing, and Dixie's got DKC3. Guess it doesn't matter though that these characters are more than simple companions and have their own games, we should just screw them over and pair them up with others who look like them! And since Dixie and K. Rool are highly unlikely thanks to that dastardly DKCR, we should just expect a DK/Diddy team and have Cranky and Tiki Tong be playable!

So now we've got a Mario/Luigi, DK/Diddy, Kirby/Metaknight, Link/Toon Link, Fox/Wolf, and for the fun of it: Mario/Yoshi team!

The logic is flawless.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Well Diddy and DK already existed in Brawl as separate characters, and Dixie would function like a clone of Diddy.

The flaw in your reasoning is that all those combinations you enlisted didn't employ the tag-team mechanic that Diddy and Dixie used in their main games. That was the reason why Sakuria considered it for Brawl. They wouldn't be like ICs and both be in play at once, they'd be tagged in. That is an iconic game mechanic from their main games. The pairings you listed don't have that.

Ideally, Dixie and K.Rool would both be included as separate characters. Realistically, DK probably doesn't justify 4 separate slots, especially considering that Sakurai said he's going to focus on gameplay rather than expanding the roster.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Eh...I don't that's worth as much as it seems. Especially considering both of them *did* appear in the most recent Mario baseball game. (Which, as a side note, was partly developed by Namco. Just sayin') More important to note, is that Diddy didn't appear in Jungle Beat, the DK game to get the most focus in Brawl, but he had a DK64-oriented moveset.

Diddy also didn't appear in Mario Kart 7, but that game's roster was ridiculous.

Relevance isn't typically a factor for characters, it's a factor for stages. The typical factors for characters are popularity and "whatever Sakurai feels like" which is good, since he likes DKC.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Dixie is a Diddy clone. If it's in the game, it'll have mostly the same moves except the barrels will be replaced with the ponytail twirl and Diddy's tail moves will be replaced with hair attacks. If they're separate characters, they'll probably place the bananas with something else too. Of course they'll have different properties too. She'd probably be slower than Diddy for one.

Dixie is incredibly similar in appearance and abilities in the games. They're about as similar as Mario and Luigi. If Dixie isn't a clone then I don't know what is.

No one likes clones, I get that. But the point is that considering that the Smash series uses clones, Dixie is a prime candidate for it.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Hey man, I fully expect Dixie to be a clone, and that's part of the reason I'm so convinced of her inclusion. Sakurai himself said clones are much easier to produce than fully unique characters. K. Rool's going to be the unique character here. There's no reason that wouldn't be the case. Dixie however would be fine as a Luigified Diddy. Ponytail twirl instead of barrels? Check. Something else instead of guns? Sure. Change a few A moves? Check.

Everything else about Diddy fits just fine with Dixie.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
DKC = biggest franchise of Nintendo after Mario, Zelda and Pokémon. And it's surprisingly close to Zelda. Considering how many Zelda games are made, and DKC is lucky to get a game each console (if at all) I say this means DKC is easily one of Nintendo's most popular series all togheter. They just don't really know how to handle the series correctly after Rare left.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
DKC = biggest franchise of Nintendo after Mario, Zelda and Pokémon. And it's surprisingly close to Zelda. Considering how many Zelda games are made, and DKC is lucky to get a game each console (if at all) I say this means DKC is easily one of Nintendo's most popular series all togheter. They just don't really know how to handle the series correctly after Rare left.
One of the biggest reasons I just sort of look shocked when people even try to assume the DKC series doesn't need more than 3 reps. Pokemon has 4+, Mario has had/will have 5, and Zelda has 4. If Starfox can have 3, DKC can have 4. Absolutely no question.

Oh, and again. Why did Starfox get 3? Popularity (of the characters, at least), and clones are easy to make. All of this seems to signify to me that DKC getting K. Rool and Dixie isn't a problem in the slightest.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think 4 DKC characters are easily justified as long as we get a newcomer from Mario and Zelda. I won't say DKC deserves as many characters as both of them, but 4 is easily doable if Mario alone gets a newcomer. But yes, 3 is an absolute minimum seeing as Kirby and StarFox are already having this many characters. I'd seriously RAGE if we'd get a Slippy Toad, Bandana Dee, Krystal or Galaxia Knight above Dixie or King K.Rool.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Well Diddy and DK already existed in Brawl as separate characters, and Dixie would function like a clone of Diddy.
Diddy exists as a separate character in one Smash game but you're expecting him to be paired in another? And a monkey with what's essentially a 3rd arm, no guns or jetpack would be similar to Diddy? Suuuure.

The flaw in your reasoning is that all those combinations you enlisted didn't employ the tag-team mechanic that Diddy and Dixie used in their main games. That was the reason why Sakuria considered it for Brawl. They wouldn't be like ICs and both be in play at once, they'd be tagged in. That is an iconic game mechanic from their main games. The pairings you listed don't have that..
DK and Diddy don't have that? They've been paired first! Not only in 2 DKCs, but in Mario spinoffs and other DK games. Diddy and Dixie have only been paired once, about 20 years back. If anything people are far more used to seeing DK and Diddy together. But heeeeey if you wanna pair Diddy and Dixie because of one 18 year old game and because they look similarly to start with, then I guess Sakurai should employ tagteams for Mario and Luigi and have them work like they do in the Superstar Saga games. THEY'VE even been paired in more games than Diddy and Dixie, and they look so identical too. Lets completely ignore the fact that they've all had their own video games and proven that they're not simple sidekicks.

BTW, the reasoning was meant to be flawed.:troll:

Ideally, Dixie and K.Rool would both be included as separate characters. Realistically, DK probably doesn't justify 4 separate slots, especially considering that Sakurai said he's going to focus on gameplay rather than expanding the roster.
Realistically, Donkey Kong is a very popular franchise, and one of Nintendo's oldest. Its up there with Mario, Pokemon and Zelda. The DKCs sell millions (including Returns), and many are fond of DK in general. There's plenty of games, much more than what most series with 2 SSB slots have. Think of all the 2-slot series and assess which has the most games; Fire Emblem is behind DK in that regard.

Meanwhile Starfox has more slots, despite having about 10 games, not being as relevent, and likely not having made the millions that this series has. Wow.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Speaking of Fire Emblem, there's people even saying we should have both Chrom as a newcomer, and Roy as a returnee. So what's wrong with 4 DKC characters?

People where shouting of Diddy as 'DK clone' to pre-Brawl. And honestly, in DKC1, DK and Diddy are more similar to each other than Diddy and Dixie are in DKC2. :rolleyes: And look, they're both totally unique characters in Smash.

First of all, all Dixie's specials need to be different from Diddy's. Perhaps she can keep the current Side B, and Down B. But that's it. Her hair alone allows for thoussands of unique features in her moves. Just disregarding her as a Diddy clone is very shallow reasoning.

Besides, even IF they'd be sort of similar, Diddy could have some moves changed to be tail attacks. As he used those a lot in DK64.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If Dixie resembles Diddy at all, it will be because of their similar statures, both of them being small primates, rather than the actual abilities they have, as is the situation with the Mario Bros.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Dixie would have been very interesting as a tag-team partner. Since that ship sailed, I think K.Rool might be the next option.

Not sure if she has too much to offer alone besides some hair antics. I wouldn't mind her on her own, but I will guess that she does not appear.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Diddy & Dixie would've been MetaKnight ++++ tier in Brawl if Sakurai actually went through with it. :laugh:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd totally main Diddy & Dixie. Most overpowered character in Smash since Melee's Fox?

Or even surpassing Melee Fox? The thought of anyone wanna fight Diddy with Ice Climber-like features must surely be scary.

Look at them. Born Hell-raisers!

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I'd totally main Diddy & Dixie. Most overpowered character in Smash since Melee's Fox?

Or even surpassing Melee Fox? The thought of anyone wanna fight Diddy with Ice Climber-like features must surely be scary.

Look at them. Born Hell-raisers!
They both throw bananas at the same time. Bye bye meta knight! :troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Plus they could possibly wobble like the Ice Climbers.

Wobbling banana locking duo characters...

Would probably go 50-50 against MetaKnight but whatever...

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Dixie is one of the playable characters fome one of two games in my early childhood (i only had DKC2 and mario world for 5 years until I got an N64)

love to see her playable. dunno if she's above k.rool though.

D

Deleted member

Diddy and Dixie weren't going to be IC style.
By what Sakurai had said, they were a literal tag-team, in that they would alternate attacks and tag each other in and out with the occasional combo attacks.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Diddy and Dixie weren't going to be IC style.
By what Sakurai had said, they were a literal tag-team, in that they would alternate attacks and tag each other in and out with the occasional combo attacks.
examples: pokemon trainer, zelda/sheik

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I think you completely missed the point
um... wait what was the point? that they were not like ice climbers and more like zelda/sheik?

or was it to crush the fact that they were like ice climbers? I really don't see any other point.

edit: WAIT NO FOUND IT its that they travel like one, making moves that would involve both. NOT like ice climbers OR zelda

D

Deleted member

What FalKoopa said. It's not remotely anything like PT or Sheilda.

It was a unique system entirely.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think they were to move like ice climbers, but instead of attacking together, they would alternate attacks. Diddy attacks first and then Dixie comes to the lead. Then she attacks and Diddy takes the lead again.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The mechanic most people seem to consider awesome and the main reason to add a Diddy/Dixie duo is one that functions identically to Zelda/Sheik, but with the inactive character following the active one onscreen and possibly helping with some attacks. Theoretically, the inactive character could be killed off to prevent the use of these attacks.

tl;dr glorified Zelda/Sheik

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
That seems a little weird in a Smash incarnation. I kinda see why he just went with Diddy.

@legend

I'm kinda in the same boat. I love Dixie, and was raised in the Rare Age, but honestly the King comes first for the same reason. However, I actually expect her as a 4th rep. Just...not before K. Rool.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The mechanic is very unique, but am glad we got a solo Diddy in the end.

Dixie is good enough to be her own character.

Hopefully having Dixie and K.Rool in Smash would inspire a developer to put them back in DKC. Seeing as Retro also took quite some inspiration from Brawl on Diddy (solo Peanut Popgun for example, and Diddy literally using his Forward Aerial on a Tiki when kicking him out of DK's treehouse) I think adding both woukd be the best thing ever for the series.

Top Bottom