• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
I agree that Jigglypuff isn't as popular anymore. She's been in the 3 smash games, I wouldn't mind if she took a break & let another pokemon fight for a while. (Mewtwo)

Venus, I like ur moveset as well. Let's hope the developers are creative & would make her (& other characters) movesets interesting.

:phone:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I absolutely love the Donkey Kong Country trilogy on the SNES. That's why I want Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong (hopefully with Kiddy Kong as a tag team partner), and King K. Rool as playable characters in SSB4. :awesome:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
A Diddy and Dixie tag team would be interesting. However, Brawl proved Diddy could work well on his own and same with Dixie.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Dixie's got her own game, so she qualifies for being a standalone character. As long as she's not paired with Diddy, I'd be more than happy to play as her.

yani

Smash Lord
I do NOT want Diddy paired with Dixie. I'd much rather her be her own character, but a Dixie/Kiddy combo is fairly likely too since Sakurai likes to go back to his old concepts. Making it Dixie and Kiddy would be a better duo since they have more differences than Diddy/Dixie do, and it would also complete the Kong Country heroes :awesome:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I do NOT want Diddy paired with Dixie. I'd much rather her be her own character, but a Dixie/Kiddy combo is fairly likely too since Sakurai likes to go back to his old concepts. Making it Dixie and Kiddy would be a better duo since they have more differences than Diddy/Dixie do, and it would also complete the Kong Country heroes :awesome:
This is the reason why I would love to have Dixie & Kiddy as a team. :awesome:

Dixie & Kiddy would be like semi-clones of Diddy and Donkey (speed, strength, weight, A moves) but as a team with their unique sets of special moves. IMO, it would be the closest thing we have to a Donkey & Diddy team in Smash without compromising Donkey or Diddy's movesets/playstyles.

Dixie's special moves
B - Feather Bow (shoots feathers like Link's B)
Side B - Kong Smash (Dixie throws Kiddy like throwing Bonsly)
Up B - Helicopter Twirl (propels up with her hair like Link's Up B but then she starts floating down like Peach's Up B)
Down B - Kong Tag (switch to Kiddy)
Final Smash - Ellie (the Kongs ride on the elephant as it squirts a powerful jet stream of water, pushing enemies off the stage)

Kiddy's special moves
B - Giant Punch (same as Donkey Kong's B)
Side B - Kong Roll (Kiddy rolls around like Yoshi's Side B with Dixie balancing atop Kiddy)
Up B - Kong Throw (throws Dixie up like Ice Climbers' Up B)
Down B - Kong Tag (switch to Dixie)
Final Smash - Ellie (the Kongs ride on the elephant as it squirts a powerful jet stream of water, pushing enemies off the stage)

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Kiddy's Neutral Special should be him throwing a tantrum instead of cloning DK's Banana Slamma Giant Punch. He should also have a Smash where he pulls back the feet of his pajamas and snaps it at his foes.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think the temper tantrum is better suited as a taunt and for when he loses a match.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Dixie. Yes

Kiddy. NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DKC 3 was meh. It was a good game in general, but when you compare it to DKC 2, it's just not a good DKC game.

Diddy and Dixie made the perfect duo. TBH, if you had a three man team, Diddy Dixie and Donkey, it would be perfect. Speed, Flight and Power

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I really don't see Kiddy making the cut. Besides, Dixie Kong is better off being a solo character in the end.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I really don't see Kiddy making the cut. Besides, Dixie Kong is better off being a solo character in the end.
You'd be surprised... we got three possible scenarios regarding Dixie Kong...

1. Dixie only (best case)
2. no Dixie (worst case)
3. Dixie & Kiddy team (unexpected case - yes, I am expecting the unexpected but I'd still be shocked that Sakurai actually went there)

IMO, the perfect case scenario is having both a Dixie & Kiddy team and King K. Rool as playable characters. The original DKC trilogy was amazing. That was when the series was at its peak. :awesome:

yani

Smash Lord
This is the reason why I would love to have Dixie & Kiddy as a team. :awesome:

Dixie & Kiddy would be like semi-clones of Diddy and Donkey (speed, strength, weight, A moves) but as a team with their unique sets of special moves. IMO, it would be the closest thing we have to a Donkey & Diddy team in Smash without compromising Donkey or Diddy's movesets/playstyles.

Dixie's special moves
B - Feather Bow (shoots feathers like Link's B)
Side B - Kong Smash (Dixie throws Kiddy like throwing Bonsly)
Up B - Helicopter Twirl (propels up with her hair like Link's Up B but then she starts floating down like Peach's Up B)
Down B - Kong Tag (switch to Kiddy)

Kiddy's special moves
B - Giant Punch (same as Donkey Kong's B)
Side B - Kong Roll (Kiddy rolls around like Yoshi's Side B with Dixie balancing atop Kiddy)
Up B - Kong Throw (throws Dixie up like Ice Climbers' Up B)
Down B - Kong Tag (switch to Dixie)
Nice moveset! I was thinking they could maybe get Squwaks (sp?) as their up B and have Dixie's helicopter function similar to Peach's glide. And their final Smash could also be an animal stampede (like the ending to the Donkey Kong Racing trailer :awesome:)

Dexident

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't mind seeing Dixie. Lanky and Chunky all as playable characters much in the same way that Pokemon trainer has Charizard, Ivysaur and squirtle.

But I also would just really like to see Dixie Kong included in general.

Almost as much as I would like to see Lanky Kong.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I was ever a big fan of Kiddy, actually. DKC3 was a great game but i couldn't get into it like I could with the other two.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Dixie Kong could fight like Millia Rage from Guilty Gear. She could use her ponytail to whip her enemies like Millia does. Though Dixie could already do that in the DKC games whenever she spins around.

D

Deleted member

Oasis_S said:
I think she could only be a fourth DK character, and she doesn't really excite me all that much, but I'd welcome her inclusion.
Pretty much how I feel about Dixie Kong. Overall, I am neutral on her and don't care whenever or not she gets in, but she's definitely a worthy character.

Blubby

Smash Apprentice
Well she was planned for brawl (as far as i know they found data on the brawl disc containing something like a diddy kong & dixie kong ice climbers version of them.) so i guess she will be in ssb4

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I could see getting excited for Dixie if they could get a tag-team thing with Diddy working. Otherwise I'd rather K. Rool be the 3rd DK rep.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well she was planned for brawl (as far as i know they found data on the brawl disc containing something like a diddy kong & dixie kong ice climbers version of them.) so i guess she will be in ssb4
Yeah. There are three possibilities we could go regarding Dixie Kong.

1. Dixie Kong as a standalone character
2. Dixie Kong as a tag team partner for Diddy Kong like Sakurai originally planned for Brawl
3. Dixie Kong and Kiddy Kong as a tag team as an inspiration of Sakurai's original plan

What I don't want is...
4. no Dixie Kong

D

Deleted member

I can honestly see Sakurai going for the third option.
I mean, the concept of Diddy and Dixie would have been unique if it was the way I think it was (like DKC2 Tag-Out system), and Sakurai tends to both like unique ideas and to return to ideas he could not incorporate in the past. And to not alienate Diddy players by forcing Dixie with him, Kiddy would be the better choice for her partner.

Good to see Dixie/Kiddy discussion in this thread.

Dixie on her own is lacking in terms of a moveset in my opinion. Her hair is interesting and part of the reason I want her playable, but I don't think it can carry an entire moveset on its own. And without borrowing moves from other Kongs she doesn't have that many options on her own. I would prefer a team up with Kiddy that would lead to more unique specials and a more interesting fighter overall. Her hair, meanwhile, would be used for several A moves (like Diddy's signature cartwheel in Brawl) However, I don’t want the duo to be a set of characters you switch back and forth between; I would much rather have Dixie be the character players constantly control while Kiddy follows along behind her. Kiddy is there to be used exclusively for her specials. A rough write up of this:

[COLLAPSE="Dixie’s Kiddy-based specials"]
Neutral special: Kiddy toss: Dixie grabs Kiddie with her hair and chucks him forward. This goes about the same distances as King Dedede’s Waddle Dee throw. Unlike Waddle Dees Kiddy does much more damage, causes significant knock back, and he continues to roll a short distance like a bowling ball after he lands. The catch is Dixie cannot perform any of her other Kiddy based specials until she goes and gets him. He can’t be touched by any other player after the move is performed, and will simply sit in the background until she arrives. After she walks by him he will begin following her again. Think Captain America’s shield slash in Marvel vs Capcom 2 and you get the idea.

Over special: Dixie Throw: This time Kiddy grabs Dixie and hurls her forward. As a projectile Dixie is faster and goes much further then the heavier Kiddy, but does less damage and no knockback. Unlike the Kiddy Throw, Kiddy will continue to follow Dixie wherever she lands.

Up special: Kong Toss 'n' Warp: One of the primates grab the other and hurls them upward in roughly the same trajectory as Yoshi’s Egg Toss. If the thrown Kong is aimed towards a ledge he or she will grab it, and the one still plummeting will warp to the ledge. This move varies on how the command is entered. If you hit up and B lightly Kiddy throws Dixie upward, which is higher and faster, but is offensively weak. If you slam the command Dixie will throw Kiddy upwards who does much more damage but is sluggish and barely gains vertical distant.

Down special: Kiddy Roll: Kiddy rolls forward a good distance and runs back. An okay but weak move on its own, but if Dixie leaps forward and lands on him while he’s still rolling she will ride on him and increase the speed, distance, and strength of the attack. The move launches opponents upward as they barrel through them. If the duo rolls off the stage they will be helpless and plummet.

Final Smash: ????: I'm not sure to be honest. An animal buddy makes the most sense but I’m hoping they will be an assist trophy or item. I would like something that adds emphasis to the teamwork aspect. I think an original move combining Kiddy’s strength and Dixes hair twirl would work best. Maybe he could toss her into the air and players could control her while she spins around the stage smashing opponents with her hair for a set amount of time.

That's just a rough idea oh how it would work.

Kiddy's behavior:
When not in use Kiddy doesn’t affect the battle at all and follows Dixie around closely in the background just out of the reach of other fighters. His colors would be a darker shade like a follower Kong in the DKC series. When used he will be his normal colors, land, and return to the background. If a attack based around him is blocked he simply lands and returns to the background.

Outside of her specials Dixie is more than capable of defending herself. She could get a slight speed and jump boost when she doesn't have Kiddy tagging along to compensate for a loss of specials, but if done correctly she wouldn't really need it.

[/COLLAPSE]

This setup adds an interesting moveset to two characters who lack it, and represents that tag team dynamic from DKC series the Smash team was trying to repersent without any of the hiccups they experienced in Brawl. This also allows Kiddy (a character who has barely any fans) to be incorporated into Dixie's moveset without deducting from her agile movement or character. She does, after all, have a much larger fanbase.

This setup also sounds like a much more interesting and original to me. The only character I could imagine being similar is Olimar and his Pikmin. But unlike Olimar, who needs Pikmin for all but 3 moves, Dixie just needs Kiddy for her specials. Dixie is just as tough with out Kiddy and can use her hair to smash, grab, and hover.

D

Deleted member

I quite like your Dixie/Kiddy idea, but I would like an expansion on that idea.
Like in the DKC series, they should be able to tag-out the lead Kong and the standby Kong, leading to a new set of moves that depend on who's in lead.
That's the only change I would give.

Though your style works well too, and I'd be fine with that.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I want Dixie in. DKC is heavily underrepped, and Dixie has a lot to offer. Surely; she'd be slightly less unique than say K.Rool, but honestly: which other character can offer the level of uniqueness King K.Rool has anyway? So that's not neccecary a point against Dixie, but more for K.Rool. It's a thing I keep on hearing, but what's really stopping them from adding both? A tag team with Kiddy would be the best thing ever really, but highly unlikely unfortunately. Anyway: Dixie should be in Smash 4.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I would enjoy Dixie/Kiddy, primarily since it not only revives Kiddy, but dedicates an entire character to representing DKC3, which has barely seen the light of day since its release. This is one reason I feel Diddy/Dixie is a bad idea: Diddy alone can represent multiple DK games as well as Diddy Kong Racing, while Diddy/Dixie can only represent DKC2, since it's the only game where they're partnered up. Dixie/Kiddy doesn't face this problem, since they have far less exposure as individuals.

Donkey Kong as a series has been perpetually ignored since the original Smash...remember how a second Kirby rep was supposed to become playable over a second DK rep, despite the latter being far more important at the time? Melee speaks for itself, and Brawl only managed to put DK on par with the likes of Mother and Fire Emblem, character-wise, while keeping it below Star Fox.

Because of these continuous oversights regarding the franchise's superiority, I am worried DK will only receive K. Rool as a new rep, however welcome four characters would be.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Has anyone thought of a transformation as Dixie's Final Smash? An Animal Buddy Barrel could appear in which Dixie jumps in, and then the barrel shakes dramatically until it explodes...revealing Rambi/Expresso/Enguarde/Winky/Squawks/Squitter/Rattly/Ellie in her place ready for battle.

I'm not sure which animal buddy would be the Final Smash, as I'm considering it to be random OR based on button inputs during the Final Smash itself. The reason for this is that the animal buddies are limited in potential.

Also, I just thought of the idea so its lacking details, so if anyone has suggestions feel free to add onto this.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
It wouldn't be a bad idea for a final smash, but I think an animal buddy would make a great assist trophy. Rambi should of been an assist in Brawl.

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
I'd like Dixie as intended for Brawl, a tag-team thing with Diddy. Preferably not Ice Climbers-style, actually switching between them instead of Diddy's down B being a banana peel. Although she could be separate, and is the best choice for a DK rep after K.Rool.

Has anyone thought of a transformation as Dixie's Final Smash? An Animal Buddy Barrel could appear in which Dixie jumps in, and then the barrel shakes dramatically until it explodes...revealing Rambi/Expresso/Enguarde/Winky/Squawks/Squitter/Rattly/Ellie in her place ready for battle.

I'm not sure which animal buddy would be the Final Smash, as I'm considering it to be random OR based on button inputs during the Final Smash itself. The reason for this is that the animal buddies are limited in potential.

Also, I just thought of the idea so its lacking details, so if anyone has suggestions feel free to add onto this.
Donkey Kong really should have Rambi as his final smash instead of bongos. And I don't think Expresso or Winky should be there, seeing as they aren't in any games with Dixie. Except for Winky's stuffed corpse's cameo in DKC2 and that weird minigame in DKC2 GBA.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I'd like Dixie as intended for Brawl, a tag-team thing with Diddy. Preferably not Ice Climbers-style, actually switching between them instead of Diddy's down B being a banana peel. Although she could be separate, and is the best choice for a DK rep after K.Rool.

Donkey Kong really should have Rambi as his final smash instead of bongos. And I don't think Expresso or Winky should be there, seeing as they aren't in any games with Dixie. Except for Winky's stuffed corpse's cameo in DKC2 and that weird minigame in DKC2 GBA.
Expresso's in the GBA version of DKC2.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
Keep this....THING away from my Diddy Kong, if I see one more person wanting them as a tag character like Ice Climbers I will puke. It can be it's own character I do not care, just don't stain my Diddy Man....

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Keep this....THING away from my Diddy Kong, if I see one more person wanting them as a tag character like Ice Climbers I will puke. It can be it's own character I do not care, just don't stain my Diddy Man....
I agree. DK, Diddy, and Dixie each had their own game(s), and pairing Diddy and Dixie is de-valuing both. It doesn't make much sense to even pair those 2, since DK and Diddy have been paired in a lot more games than Diddy and Dixie, but there's hardly anyone wanting those 2 paired and DKCR showed how it could work. If people want to pair characters based on one game, then how about we pair up characters like Mario and Luigi?

BTW, if Kiddy had his own game, I wouldn't want him to be paired with another kong. He's still just a sidekick atm, and if Dixie appears with him by her side, I hope she's emphasized as the main kong.

I still prefer she'd be solo though.

D

Deleted member

Really gained interest in Dixie Kong lately, so she has my support.

I like her anyway, which helps.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Agh I forgot! I lent my laptop to my GF for two weeks so I've been using my iPhone for posting on Smashboards. It makes things much harder.

Dixie Kong us up on the R&D so please show your support!

Top Bottom