• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

yani

Smash Lord
On a GameFAQS poll asking which cut Melee characters/ scrapped Brawl characters you want most, Dixie Kong is in second (Mewtwo was just given first, naturally). Pretty cool that she's beating Roy.

Link

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
That`s good to see that Dixie is getting some support!

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
I LOVE DKC2, and I still play it to this day! I have found just about every kremcoin except 2 of em, just gotta find em! As for Dixie Kong, she has my full support! I can already see under the "event match" single player mode a Diddy and Dixie event match!

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
It could be called "Lovers Quarrel" or "Lovers Spat" (that's how you say it, right? Lol)

:phone:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I thought I'd revive this thread with a moveset that I made today when I was bored. Hopefully this will shed some more light on what Dixie Kong could possibly do as a playable character in this game. I made this with the idea that all of her general animations (walking, running, jumping, crouching, etc.) would be entirely based on the DKC games, much like Diddy's were in Brawl. I know that her general stats (weight, damage, movement speed, etc.) and Final Smash are missing, but I think people can piece those together on their own. Anyway, here goes nothing...

================
Taps & Tilts
================

AAA: Dixie slaps the opponent on the first hit, backhands them on the second,
and smacks them quickly with her hair on the third.

Forward Tilt: Dixie does a handstand in the opposite direction and mule-kicks
the opponent.

Up Tilt: Dixie does an upward sweep with her hair.

Down Tilt: Dixie does a leg sweep.

Dash Attack: Dixie spins forward with her hair (DKC2/3 dash attack)

Ledge Hit: Dixie does a roll back onto the stage.

100% Ledge Hit: Dixie slowly pulls herself onto the stage and slaps the opponent.

================
Aerial Attacks
================

Neutral Air: Dixie tucks herself inwards and does a vertical spin.

Forward Air: Dixie sweeps her hair forward.

Up Air: Dixie sweeps her hair upwards.

Back Air: Dixie does a kick behind her.

Down Air: Dixie whips her hair downwards. This is a Meteor Smash.

================
Smash Attacks
================

Forward Smash: When charging, Dixie tilts her head to the side. When
released, she does a powerful swing with her hair that sweeps
upwards in front of her.

Up Smash: When charging, Dixie crouches down and looks up with both hands at
her side. When released, she jumps up and does a single clap with
her hands.

Down Smash: When charging, Dixie crouches down and tilts her head to the side.
When released, she does a spin attack, damaging opponents on both
sides of her.

================
Grab/Throws
================

Grab animation: Dixie throws her hair out in front of her and hooks the
opponent with it, holding them directly in front of her. This can be used
as a tether.

Pummel: Dixie slaps the opponent.

Forward Throw: Dixie lifts the opponent with her hair and puts them on her
back. Similar to Donkey Kong, she can walk around with them,
jump and throw them. She uses the same animations as she did
when she picks up a barrel in DKC2/3.

Down Throw: Dixie lifts the opponent and slams them down on the
ground in front of her.

Up Throw: Dixie spins her neck in a full circle and throws them directly
upwards.

Back Throw: Dixie lifts the opponent and slams them down on the
ground behind her. She then pole-vaults over them and throws them
behind her.

================
Special Moves
================

^B - Hair Copter: Dixie is shot out of a Barrel Cannon, and as she starts
to fall, she starts twirling her hair to slow her decent.
She can use any move besides her Up B to cancel out of
the twirl, and she can't use it again until she touches
ground or is hit in the middle of her decent.

>B - Wild Move: Straight out of Barrel Blast, Dixie pulls out her bongo
rockets and charges forward. This is chargable and puts
her into a helpless state if used in the air.

\/B - Barrel Throw: Dixie bends over and randomly picks up one of three
types of barrels around her size with her hair: Steel,
Wooden, and TNT.
Wooden barrels do a small amount of damage, Steel
barrels roll along the ground and do a decent amount of
damage and have great knockback,
and TNT barrels explode and do a lot of damage. Wooden
Barrels are the most common (around 80%), Steel Barrels
are slightly rare (around 15%), and TNT barrels are really
rare (around 5%). This can only be used on the ground.

B - Guitar Jam: This attack is chargable. When B is pressed, Dixie pulls
out her guitar and holds a pose. When B is released,
she strums a chord with her hair, unleashing a shockwave
in all directions (like Barbara's AT attack in Brawl).
The shockwave is bigger and more
powerful the longer B is held. The maximum charge is
about 3 seconds.

================
Intro/Taunts/Victory Poses
================

Intro: Like Donkey Kong and Diddy, Dixie jumps out of a DK barrel.

Up Taunt: Dixie pulls out her guitar and jams on it.

Side Taunt: Dixie blows a bubble with her bubblegum.

Down Taunt: Dixie sits down and cries. (DKC2/3 death animation)

Victory Pose 1: Dixie jumps up and down, celebrating.

Victory Pose 2: Dixie sits down and sips from her juice.

Victory Pose 3: Dixie starts jamming on bongos. (Donkey Konga reference)

So, how did I do? I tried to implement her hair as much as possible, and I tried to make her as unique as possible (to differentiate her from Diddy).

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well the good thing about your first post is, it reminds me of the 90's alright.

It's exactly how many of the websites actually looked like back then before we had things like professional web designers and media design classes in schools

Geocities sites

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Some people forgot about Dixie Kong with red hair while she is being playable with player 2 in DKC2

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Sorry for being absent. I plan to update the OP soon.

I think Dixie has a legimitate chance even considering King K. Rool is highly favored. She has both the popularity, history, and demand. As well, Donkey Kong has a lot of support for two newcomers. Or at least from what insee here.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Sorry for being absent. I plan to update the OP soon.

I think Dixie has a legimitate chance even considering King K. Rool is highly favored. She has both the popularity, history, and demand. As well, Donkey Kong has a lot of support for two newcomers. Or at least from what insee here.

I completely agree. Despite the fact that she wasn't in DK64, I have always seen Dixie as the "third Kong". She was the third Kong to star in her own game, she was the third player in Donkey Konga 2/3, she was the third Kong in Mario Superstar Baseball and Mario Hoops 3 on 3, and she was the third character listed on the Kong side in Barrel Blast. I have trouble seeing representation of the DK series without Dixie because she has been in so many games alongside DK and Diddy. SSB needs both K. Rool and Dixie to accurately represent the DK series.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
I'm warming up to Dixie Kong. If any series gets 2 new reps it should be Donkey Kong because of how big they are and that there are 4 distinct all stars to the series.
King K. Rool is still #1 DK newcomer in my book though.

EmeraldParu

Smash Rookie
I support Dixie in Brawl completely. She was always my favorite character in the SNES games.

SpatialPSI

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regent_EX
3DS FC
1091-7941-1344
I would love it if Dixie Kong made it into Smash 4, as a standalone character of course. She was my favorite DKC character because of her ability to helicopter around, and it was fun.

I think it'd be cool if she got to use some of her animal friends from the DKC games, like:

ForwardB - Rambi Rider - Basically Dixie gets onto Rambi who charges across the stage until B is pressed. Dixie Jumps off while Rambi continues running until he is off the stage or he disappears naturally. Foes can be hit by Rambi's horn whether or not Dixie is riding and are knocked into the air if hit. Move cannot be used again until Rambi is off the stage.

UpB - Rattly - Rattly springs into the air with Dixie riding it. By pressing B you can jump off at any time, or wait until the move reaches its apex at which she will automatically jump off. Rattle will then fall straight down. Deals damage on its way up and its fall down.

DownB - Clapper - Dixie jumps onto Clapper's back who then breathes ice forward. Can freeze opponents.

Also, really like the movesets people have been working on.

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
Im hopeing from some animal buddies too. I was thinkging UpB could be Squaks, but then it would leave her ponytail fly useless, unless it was made similar to winged characters, as to hold the jump button to begin flying. Of course it would not be as flexable as flying with wings, but ya know.

SpatialPSI

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regent_EX
3DS FC
1091-7941-1344
Im hopeing from some animal buddies too. I was thinkging UpB could be Squaks, but then it would leave her ponytail fly useless, unless it was made similar to winged characters, as to hold the jump button to begin flying. Of course it would not be as flexable as flying with wings, but ya know.
I had this exact same thought. I was also thinking this: maybe UpB could be Rattly instead which would work like Sonic's Springboard thing and just shoot straight up. Then at the top Dixie can jump off Rattly who then falls straight down. That way you could Ponytail would be a Horizontal recovery and Rattly could be a Vertical one.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
It would be great if Dixie activate that helicopter hair thing the way Peach and Pit/Metaknight/Charizard can float/glide. The best part is that Dixie's helicopter behaves differently from floating and gliding, so it would feel pretty unique.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Its really unfortunate that there is not more love for Dixie Kong. I still think Donkey Kong Country 3 is incredibly underrated too (its definitely better than the first DKC). Dixie Kong is definitely the most important female character to her franchise that is not yet playable as well (aside from Palutena).

I would think despite the much stronger demand for K. Rool, Dixie Kong still has a decent shot at getting in due to Sakurai having at least having put some time into thinking about how she would move and attack during pre-Brawl and being a relatively popular character.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I would really hate it if Dixie didn't make it either, but seeing how the DKC series as a whole seems to always be standing with the back against the wall - I'd be more than happy with K.Rool alone. I think that's the general sentiment towards Dixie, as harsh as it sounds.

There's also the scrub masses who shout 'CLONE CLONE CLONE' to just about any secondary character from any series, so there's that to.

However, I'd be pretty much overjoyed if Dixie and K.Rool BOTH made it in. But either would make me happy. As long as either one of them makes it, DKC is at least properly represented. Both would be best case scenario yes, but I'm holding my breath for it.

Carolus Rex

Smash Cadet
Diddy + Dixie interchangeable à là Zelda/Sheik is the best option if you ask me.
They would be a very interesting character in between Zelda/Sheik transformation and Ice Climber's cooperation. If you see what I'm thinking.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Diddy + Dixie interchangeable à là Zelda/Sheik is the best option if you ask me.
They would be a very interesting character in between Zelda/Sheik transformation and Ice Climber's cooperation. If you see what I'm thinking.
Dixie deserves more than that in my opinion.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
There's also the scrub masses who shout 'CLONE CLONE CLONE' to just about any secondary character from any series, so there's that to.
I don't really understand why they whine about her being clone since at worst she would only share the same specials and final smash as Diddy Kong (like Lucas and Wolf in Brawl). Her A-moves and throws would be completely different from Diddy Kong (a lot of them would probably involve her oversized ponytail in some way).

In general though, the Western Smash Bros. fanbase (or rather the vocal clone hating minority within it) needs to get over its whining and complaining about clones. Most people would rather played as a "cloney" version of a character than for them not to be in at all.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why am I the only one of the planet who sees the impossibility of Dixie doing Diddy's specials?... Much less his Final Smash...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Why am I the only one of the planet who sees the impossibility of Dixie doing Diddy's specials?... Much less his Final Smash...

B - borrow Tiny Kong's feather bow and start shooting feathers
Side+B - throw herself at enemies and chimp out on their faces
Up+B - spin her ponytail... okay, Diddy cannot do that! :troll:
Down+B - throw a banana
Final Smash - spin like a helicopter while shooting feathers

I guess?

I hope Dixie gets Kiddy as a tag team partner so they could do things together that Donkey and Diddy don't do in Smash (even though they might be able to do them in the Donkey Kong games.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

B: Hair Grab. Basically think of DK's cargo grab. Dixie grabs the opponent with her hair, and is able to slam them into people. The heavier the character, the higher the damage. Though, she cannot jump and move as well carrying heavier characters like DK could.

Side B: Kong O'Nine Tails (based on the Cat O'Nine Tails enemy in DKC2). Dixie spins her hair around for a few seconds and releases an sliding hair spinning attack that can trap enemies in them and toss them around. A risky attack which does low damage (or better yet, none) but can send a foe flying far and high. Fixed knockback, but can be used as a finisher.

Up B: Hair Copter. See above animation. Combine DK's Spinning Kong with Peach's ability to float and you have a recovery rivalling Pit's. Easily.

Down B: Kinda hard to think of something but I'll just go for: Barrel Throw. A barrel or crate item appears and Dixie can use it as a projectile. Can only spawn a barrel or crate once a stock though, as it's a rather heavy attack.

General playstyle: A glass-canon character with slightly lesser offensive abilities than Diddy due to lower speed, lower strenght in general, less weight and less priority, but has a better recovery (than Diddy and than most characters in general) and quite a few tricks under her sleeve with the Barrel Throw and her Side B. She's a more grab orientated character than Diddy, and has slightly stronger throws than him as well. She has problems finishing of with her regular attacks, and doesn't have very strong Smash attacks, but her aerials are on par with Diddy's, though she doesn't have his F Air so even airbone she is a little weaker. Her aerial speed is also not as great as Diddy's, but due to her floatyness she's less likely to get combo'd than him. Her range on her moves involving her hair matches that of DK's arms though, even if her arms are still a little shorter than Diddy's. Her combo game is similar to Diddy's in style, but she may rely on grabs more for safety as even though her A attacks and aerials are fast, they don't really do too much damage on their own. She's a little bit of a trickster character, but with a few good strong points going for her as her grabs, specials and especially recovery.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It really annoys me that some people think Dixie Kong would be a clone of Diddy Kong. I think they would probably share a few A moves but I am sure most of her A moves would be different from Diddy's... and her B moves would be pretty much different from Diddy's, mainly because of Dixie's hair. That's what made Dixie's gameplay different from Diddy's in Donkey Kong Country 2.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think if we had received Diddy Kong in Melee, K. Rool in Brawl, Dixie Kong would have been a shoe-in for Smash 4.

Also, people protest about clones too much. Its absolutely silly when people complain about the likes of Wolf and Lucas being clones when they are only share like five moves with Fox and Ness respectively.

Even for more "cloney" clones like Falco and Toon Link they play much more differently than Fox and Link.

Also, clones take far less resources to implement than fully original characters (for example, Sakurai said for Melee he had enough time to implement one more original character or six clones). Its not that clones are bad, its just that when its an alterego clone (Dr. Mario, Pichu, Young Link), people think its a waste of space.

For clones that unique people such as Falco, Lucas, Wolf, Roy, and Luigi, they are well received by most people. Heck, Toon Link was an "alterego" clone, and he was well-received as well.

Overall, the hate for clones I think stems from:
1. Poor choice in the selection of clones (this was pretty much only relegated to Melee)
2. Belief that the implementation of a clone kept a fully original character out.

If the choice was between a luigi-fied clone Dixie Kong, or no Dixie Kong at all, the overwhelming majority of Dixie Kong fans would go with luigi-fied clone.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Luigified clones aren't half as bad as people say they are. At least, when it comes to good character choices, as Falco, Wolf, Lucas and Toon Link. Can understand the upsetness with Ganondorf, but heck, if he'd get a few noves he'd actually used for specials, people wouldn't half mind his moveset so much.

So yeah, as long as Dixie's original enough to recognise her as Dixie, I would be in for her sharing a few moves with Diddy. No doubt I'd take that above no Dixie at all. However, if that'd be the only newcomer DKC gets (a Luigified Dixie, no K.Rool) then I'd be pretty dissapointed.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Lucas is less of a clone than most of the roster in Smash 64, and part of the roster in Melee. No really, he borrows Ness' up B, forward B, forward smash, and Final Smash; that's it! Four moves! Four freaking moves, with totally different grab animations! How is that a clone=??? Heck, a bunch of characters still have the generic "sex kick" in Brawl, including Mario, Luigi, Link, Samus, Yoshi, Fox, and Jigglypuff!

Anyways, at worst, that would be what happens to Dixie Kong (minus the same Final Smash; she'd copy Donkey Kong's before she copies Diddy Kong's). Like literally, all she'd take would be a special attack, a tilt, and an aerial. That's better than 10 new animations for a bunch of NPC's no one cares about that could be added via a patch one month later! :laugh:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Exactly! Movesets in Smash are evolving each time so to say. Samus and Captain Falcon for example still share a couple of moves. And notice how each swordsman has the same Down Smash basically?

Dixie has enough moveset potential to be unique enough as at least Lucas. Just don't get how people think she'd be similar to Diddy in Specials. If anything I see her mostly copying his aerial attacks.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The only special I could see Dixie copying Diddy with is the forward B. The up B, the down B, and the neutral B would make no sense if Dixie copied Diddy with.

Also, you are totally right on Samus/Captain Falcon, although they have gradually gotten new moves. Still, their neutral air and back air are still the same, and their down air is pretty similar, too. The way people throw out the word "clone" these days makes me wonder no one is calling Samus a clone.

Lord Kaepernick our Holy 49ers savior save us if Mega Man and Dixie are confirmed, look totally original, and people start dubbing them clones of Samus and Diddy respectively. Heck, I still remember when Ike was confirmed, and people thought he was another Marth clone because they shared the same down B! :laugh:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I still think that if Dixie Kong is added in, she will be among the last characters added to the game (possibly even the last one).

I am personally hoping another game with Dixie Kong as a playable character is announced at E3. However, there are so few opportunities for what it could be.

The three opportunities for Dixie Kong to make another playable appearance before the release of Smash 4 are another Donkey Kong platformers (most likely by Retro), the rumored Diddy Kong Racing Wii U (we will find out at E3 whether this is true or not considering all the rumors surrounding this game have said that it would be unveiled at E3 2013), and possibly a playable character for Mario Kart Wii U.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Anything could happen. Personally, am indeed hoping for a DKC styled game that is a spiritual succesor to DKC2, where you play as Diddy and Dixie. Diddy's second Kongquest so to say. :awesome: But yeah, that's just a pipe dream. Doubt Nintendo would want to put DK himself out of the spotlight right now. If Diddy Kong Racing Wii U is true however, yeah I'd be sure she'd be in. But am not sure if one or two roles in racing games would be enough to truely make her stand out to the masses. Only Smash and DKC could do that.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
and possibly a playable character for Mario Kart Wii U.
This a great chance for both Dixie and K. Rool to show up in non-DK relevance. The team that made Super Sluggers did an excellent job picking characters, and the more important ones that have never appeared in a Mario sports game other than that should have their shot.

They've really been off the ball with rosters, lately anywho. That was my ONE complaint with Mario Kart 7, the roster was awful. They didn't even include Diddy!

And then, when Mario Tennis Open came out, they included Diddy, but not...someone important, I remember that roster being awful too.

Seriously, take all the important Mario characters, and all the important DK characters (DK, Dixie, Diddy, K. Rool, Funky, even throw in a Kritter or a Tiki if you want) and the Mario characters (M, L, P, B, W, YOSHI (GOOD GOD, I forgot Yoshi!) Wal, Toad(sworth), Rosalina), add in a couple surprises, and BAM, the perfect Mario sports roster.

Why is it so difficult to do that, and why is their pattern so crazy?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wouldn't expect K.Rool or Dixie in a Mario Kart. Funky seemed like a surprise addition, but it was mostly cause he was an easy to make DK edit I guess. It seems unlikely to see Dixie in it, cause she'd be a light weight, and there's plenty of choices of Mario light weights... Toad, Toadette, Koopa, Paratroopa... Diddy is even lucky to get in there. Would've liked to see him in Mario Kart DS at least. Mario Kart 7's roster was just.. weird. Then again, I never played it so can't complain.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Throw in Rosalina and Toadsworth, but not Yoshi?
My god, I forgot Yoshi!

Fixed!

@Diddy

I'm one of those people thats of the mindset that characters like Paratroopa are filler if Koopa Troopa's already there (That's one I forgot...and King Boo...and Petey. And Bowser Jr. I wasn't in the right mindset, I swear)

However, I feel like Dixie, and K. Rool, and Funky to a lesser extent are important enough to at least be featured in SOME of the sports games. Namco may feel the same way whereas Nintendo doesn't want to overstack the rosters, but still.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Rather see them use Donkey Kong characters in more spin offs actually.

Everything is crossing over it seems, maybe Retro should make a Donkey Kong Country x Metroid :dkbrawl: :diddybrawl: :samusbrawl: . It could work somehow with a gameplay similar to Other M, DK 64, and platfomers as Super Metroid and DKC Returns.

Or anyways, let PAON use the DK series again. Barrel Blast, Jungle Climber and King of Swing aren't bad at all. Rather see more of those games than DKC characters needlessly crossing over.

Sure, Dixie, Funky, K.Rool and maybe even a Kritter would be cool on a Mario Kart roster, but then it should at least be bigger than Mario Kart Wii's roster.

But yeah, they also have a chance to be forgotten.

In which case I'd still wanna see both in Smash, as Diddy's Smash appearance really incluenced some of his moves in DKC Returns.

You know, I'd even think Sakurai could make a good Donkey Kong game actually.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
If his work in Uprising is any indication, I'm sure he'd do the series justice. I'm really hoping one day he'd want to take a whack at it. And, if the President of Camelot is serious about doing a DK64 sequel, I'm certain he wouldn't leave them out. That'd just be silly.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Camelot making Donkey Kong would be awesome as well! They did a good job with them in the Mario sport games, and where even the first to include Diddy in a Mario cameo game with Toadstool Tour (Golf NGC). Dunno what kinda game to expect though. But I always liked Golden Sun so it could be something good.

Sequel to Donkey Kong 64 would also be more than interesting. But add a mix of puzzling like in Golden Sun.

Top Bottom