• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The OMG FiZZ is back Stupendous "Critique my Lucario" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
I dunno, that sounds kind of... universal to put on a single character.
:/

smashnoir

Smash Rookie
Why are wifi matches unacceptable?

Recent matches with a Sonic, his spin dashes, and his mindgames have really made me think about how I use my moves, rather than just throwing them out there. As such, I think I've come to a point where feedback on my play would be helpful, but I'm in the same boat as Meta Ridley.

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
Why are wifi matches unacceptable?

Recent matches with a Sonic, his spin dashes, and his mindgames have really made me think about how I use my moves, rather than just throwing them out there. As such, I think I've come to a point where feedback on my play would be helpful, but I'm in the same boat as Meta Ridley.
Wifi has so much lag that it is just horrible.

Browny

Smash Hater
oh come on wifi isnt that bad, everyone gets different lag depending on A LOT of things.

if you can only post wifi matches go for it... blue + green are great, yellow may not give such an accurate indication and do not waste time posting any matches with an orange or red connection.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I feel so out of practice.

vs Nappy's Snake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulirBdIx6Sc Match 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDL1JIfC0EE Match 2

Have at it guys, this was like last week I think. This is just to keep you guys busy until I can get the rest of the vids from his wii.
You did better than I did, he three stocked me in my pool. Then again, I was annoyed since someone behind me was talking down about my play style so I walked into stupid crap but whatever.

I'll comment more later.

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
Lol, can't you ask the person to stop or go to the tournament organizer. To me that just sounds disrespectful.

smashnoir

Smash Rookie
I have never recorded gameplay before, so I'm not sure how to go about this. All I have at the moment is a hand held recorder, but I'm sure the result would be pretty crappy. What is the recommended method?

D. Disciple

Smash Master
just as long as we can see actual gameplay, then it's all good. If you give us a vid of the camera facing a wall while you're playing, then yeah it's pretty useless then lol.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
lol there was a video of a Lucario v. Ally and a fat guy was blocking the camera for like the entire match lolol.

And there were those finals that Junebug recorded of Azen were the camera was like the one from Cloverfield

So yeah, it happens more than it should.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
hey guys

how do I catch fox

he's a slippery little *******.

and how do I deal with his SH air dodge?

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
lol there was a video of a Lucario v. Ally and a fat guy was blocking the camera for like the entire match lolol.

And there were those finals that Junebug recorded of Azen were the camera was like the one from Cloverfield

So yeah, it happens more than it should.
Everyone needed aspirin after watching Azen's match lol.

@smashnoir just get a tripod and point it at your TV. should be fine so long as we can actually see whats going on.

Vionce

Smash Journeyman
watched the 1st and second. Stop rolling as much. Here's how the match went for you: attack, attack, attack, roll away, roll back, rinse and repeat.

Lucario's roll is good for evading attacks, but it also tends to place you too far away to counter attack. Against game and watch it is very important to have very good spacing with fsmash since that's how you'll be able to punish anything that's slightly misspaced. There are many points where instead of using ftilt or fsmash, you just rolled away.

Rolling away isn't always very good since you give up stage control and the ability to punish. often times it is better to simply dash a little bit backwards or walk away. Stutter stepping fsmash definitly helps a lot if you feel you're too close to your opponent.

I did like how you used AS. You weren't afraid to use it even though game and watch could bucket it.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
watched the 1st and second. Stop rolling as much. Here's how the match went for you: attack, attack, attack, roll away, roll back, rinse and repeat.

Lucario's roll is good for evading attacks, but it also tends to place you too far away to counter attack. Against game and watch it is very important to have very good spacing with fsmash since that's how you'll be able to punish anything that's slightly misspaced. There are many points where instead of using ftilt or fsmash, you just rolled away.

Rolling away isn't always very good since you give up stage control and the ability to punish. often times it is better to simply dash a little bit backwards or walk away. Stutter stepping fsmash definitly helps a lot if you feel you're too close to your opponent.

I did like how you used AS. You weren't afraid to use it even though game and watch could bucket it.
What is this? 08?

Afraid to use AS? Too far away to counterattack? Too much rolling? Too much Fsmash?

They do realize this is GnW? AKA "Get a free kill move of your choice if I absorb your projectile" GnW? Also known as "Stay too close to me for too long and you die at 80-120" GnW, or "I can't punish your bull**** backroll or stupid fsmash" GnW?

Honestly, first match the Luc just plain played very, very unsafe, although he did have a bit of a grasp of the matchup. Bairs being shieldgrabbed by GnW's stubby arms meant he had bad spacing on them (Try c-sticking them for better air control). Rolling into GnW resulted in very bad punishes. He approached WAY too much, and should have just let GnW come to him once he got a lead. He even tried to aggressively edgeguard GnW at one point, which could have been disastrous. He should remember to never use ForcePalm against GnW unless you are 140% sure that it will hit, and even then, don't use it. If you miss, it leaves you wide open for a partially charged ridiculous powerhouse of a smash and a very early death, as seen at one point. He also stuck WAY too close to GnW for most of the time. Because he was so close and approached so much, he basically ran right into all of those smashes, and could've been set up for some really dumb stuff. Also, he should've expected GnW to nair through the ledge and could've daired him for a stagespike, but maybe that's pushing it. All in all, he needs to play much more safely, and he needs to stay away from GnW. That means more fsmash, more bair (spaced), rolls away, aura sphere, ftilt, etc. and no force palm or usmash unless GnW completely asks for it.

Second match was riddled with bad decisions, bad spacing, and a lot of just plain not thinking. If GnW is in front of you, you do not utilt while facing him over and over. If you utilt, you buffer a reverse utilt. If you don't want to buffer a reverse utilt, you must jab, grab, shield, or roll away. Just work on that spacing. You also should've used more aura spheres at high % so you could pressure him into bucketing/falling into one of your kill moves. Also, Frigate probably wasn't a very good pick, even though it worked out in the end. Stages like Final D are much better options against GnW, unless he banned it, in which case I guess Frigate is okay, but I probably would've chosen Smashville anyways. Long, flat stages that you can use to keep him in check and keep him away are better against GnW than a stage as small as Frigate.

Third match I noticed something right off the bat. Game and Watch has 11%. Lucario has 0%. GnW takes the time to split the stage. Then, Lucario approaches. What's up with that? Why in the world does the Lucario approach in this situation? He doesn't even have a fully charged sphere, and he dashes over to the other side to combat GnW on a tiny platform, which is in all honesty really, really freaking dumb. The rest of the match is really just Lucario panicking. He choked, and it was really obvious from all of the dumb things he did. He didn't pay any attention to the lava (and jumped into it a few times all by himself). He didn't take advantage of the squishy things to extend his attacks. He didn't take advantage of the small boundaries. He tried to camp GnW with a baby aura sphere on a slope from a short distance away, AKA bair/fair bait. All in all, he panicked.

Overall, stop approaching GnW. Stop being unsafe. Stop for the love of god using Usmash unless he dairs directly on you or tries to attack the platform above you or is stupid. Don't use Force Palm unless you are 140% sure it will hit. Stop freaking approaching him, ESPECIALLY if you have the lead. Stop doing dumb things. Fsmash more. Aura Sphere more at high %. Roll away more. Camp him more. Space better. C-stick your bairs. Stop dawdling so close to GnW. Don't roll into him. Work on CP'ing better. Practice on Brinstar more. Don't panic. Think more. Use mindgames. Also learn to SDI his bair. That helps too.

tl;dr Your success against GnW is entirely dependent on how safe you play. If you play as safe as you possibly can against him and he'll be a cakewalk. Also learn to SDI his bair.

All in all, you're off to a good start, but you have a bunch of kinks to work out from what I can see so far.

Vionce and F1ZZ wtf guys.

Vionce

Smash Journeyman
What is this? 08?

Afraid to use AS? Too far away to counterattack? Too much rolling? Too much Fsmash?
in the first 2 matches he used AS a lot and it was bucketed only once.

sometimes instead of punishing a mistake gnw did, he just rolled away.

fizz said to not charge smashes which doesnt mean "too much fsmash"

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
What is this? 08?

They do realize this is GnW? AKA "Get a free kill move of your choice if I absorb your projectile" GnW? Also known as "Stay too close to me for too long and you die at 80-120" GnW, or "I can't punish your bull**** backroll or stupid fsmash" GnW?
When exactly did I say this?

Read please......

iRJi

Smash Champion
What is this? 08?

Looks like some one is stuck in 08 other then the person you are responding you. I am regarding you. AS isn't that bad in this MU, you just need to learn how to use it properly. The aggressive talk needs to stop, because your not honestly helping anyone by doing so.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Looks like some one is stuck in 08 other then the person you are responding you. I am regarding you. AS isn't that bad in this MU, you just need to learn how to use it properly. The aggressive talk needs to stop, because your not honestly helping anyone by doing so.
AS is ESSENTIAL in the matchup, yet someone was stating as if it was a courageous feat that it was used in the matchup.

Also, it's constructive criticism. If we wanted a "Let's praise you and make you feel better whenever you post your videos" topic, we would've called it that. :\

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
just because its criticism doesnt make it constructive.

theres this thing called tact, and using it usually helpful in these situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom