• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The OMG FiZZ is back Stupendous "Critique my Lucario" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
hmm, I have not thought too much about D-throw...

Forgot it even existed, ill get it in my game more. As for being offstage too much, that sounds easy.

Is this all? Where is my wall of text?

HyperEnergy

Smash Journeyman
Oh, the Kirby match up. Now that's one I know a lot about.

First some general words of advice...

Be very careful about using fsmash when Kirby is in the air. Reason being because Kirby has great maneuverability in the air and if close enough (and by close I actually mean pretty **** far) can easily punish you.

Make sure not to be tricked into whiffing an attack right next to Kirby. Fsmash is fast and strong and basically causes Kirby to move quite a distance (along with the hitbox (and hurtbox)). Kirby players will try to predict spot dodges and rolls and whatnot and use this to punish you.

Never, EVER grab Kirby if he uses bair on your shield. This is always a bad idea (and speaking from personal experience, a tough habit to break >>).

Speaking of bair, that attack and others in Kirby's arsenal can be out-prioritized by your own if your spacing is better than your opponent's. Use this knowledge to your advantage; if Kirby is coming down on you with bairs and dairs you should use utilt to show him who's boss.

It's been said already but I'll say it again, keep your butt on the stage. The last thing you want to do against Kirby is jump out in a way that puts HIM between YOU and the stage.

Be a little more careful with your use of dair. Against the really good players, you would likely be punished often for using it so close to the ground. Not to say that what you're doing is wrong per se and that you should never do it, but you're doing it often enough to fall into predictability.

And now onto the good stuff:

Video 3 (Based on the number in the video titles, I think you may have posted the links to smashboards upside down.)

0:07 - This is one of those cases where I'd say not to whiff an attack right next to Kirby.

0:28 - A missed chance to punish a roll. Next time you're in this situation, be prepared to only jump back far enough where you are out of his range and in range yourself to punish a mistake.

0:37 - Looks like you were trying to out-prioritize Kirby with a jab here. I'm not going to say this is a downright bad idea all the time but do be careful about trying this if Kirby is in the air.

1:34 - You started charging aura sphere while trying to recover. I strongly recommend completely dropping this habit. This is a bad idea because you can only shoot an aura sphere or air dodge out of this position. If you come close to stage level while charging an aura sphere, you've basically forced yourself to recover from below the stage; the worst position to be in against edge guarders like Kirby or Metaknight.

3:40 - Dsmash!?

3:56 - Usmash!!?

Video 2

0:17 - Rolling was bad a decision here.

2:15 - Another case of charging aura sphere while recovering. Here you were forced to air dodge into Kirby's bair.

2:25 - 2:55 - A battle within the windmill. I don't know about you, but it seemed to me like it would've been better if you avoided that place. You both took nearly equal amounts of damage from that. Unless you have complete control over the situation, retreat is your best option.

3:53 - That was a prime position to fire aura sphere you know.

3:55 - Air dodge! Kirby's grab combo doesn't work past the uair.

Video 1

1:17 - Looks like you were a little unfocused here. Your empty fair was met with a roll and then you moved backwards with an air dodge likely out of panic. Remember to be prepared next time.

1:22 - Jab beats spot dodges! You should have kept the jab combo going.

1:39 - Not to sound mean, but make sure your opponent is near you when you dair lol.

1:52 - Looks like someone needs to learn their wall cling areas.

2:05 - You shielded Kirby's dair properly, but you let go before it finished probably because you expected a single hit attack.
However, let me put things in perspective:
-From that height and facing towards you, Kirby can A) Use his suck ability B) Fair C) Dair D) Jump away and E) Air dodge.
-We can count out choice D because if he jumped it wouldn't have affected anything and choice E because he wasn't exactly in a position of any danger.
-A would've been a valid choice but your opponent doesn't seem to realize he has that option yet.
-B is actually a pretty dumb choice, and to be honest I might as well not have included it here.

Thus, the only valid choices are A (which your opponent hasn't worked into his gameplay yet), D (but if he did jump it wouldn't have changed anything) and C - Dair. I'm telling you this so that next time your opponent is Kirby, high in the air, facing you and not in a position of danger you will expect a dair and shield all the hits.

2:57 - Remember to stay calm. If you had timed your dair better, you could have hit Kirby but you used it at the wrong time.

To end this critique I'm going to point out a few things I liked:

I loved the way you switched up your play style during the last few seconds of the first match (video 3). Going from throwing out attacks the whole match to empty hopping and grabbing your opponent. Good stuff. (I disliked that absurd decision to follow Kirby off the edge, however. Well, at least it led to some lulz haha).

It was also refreshing to see no instances where you were grabbed by Kirby and right after a throw you hoped to catch him off guard with an attack while he saw it coming and shielded. And equally as nice was you not running into his attacks while the positions were reversed. Now that's smart play.

Oh yes, I can't forget that time you were sucked up and turned that predicament into your advantage by immediately using a dair as you came out. Thanks for the matchup knowledge. =)

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

Browny

Smash Hater
Oh, the Kirby match up. Now that's one I know a lot about.

First some general words of advice...

Be very careful about using fsmash when Kirby is in the air. Reason being because Kirby has great maneuverability in the air and if close enough (and by close I actually mean pretty **** far) can easily punish you.
I disagree with this wholeheartedly. Kirby is quite slow in the air and the only reason hes going to punish an fsmash with an aerial is if hes well above you when you use it. Apply the same argument to snakes utilt and you see why I disagree...

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Because Ganon is out the game so it says that lucario is 7 stocks ahead?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Oh Fatboy, he Dsmashs a lot, that move isn't safe on block so punish it with jab/dash grab when you can.

Uair spam from MK?! Just Dair him if he tried this, Dair> his Uair.

Save a fully charged Aura Sphere, you kept firing it at times where he could have easily blocked or it didn't apply proper pressure. That and it makes him think twice about using Tornado.

Be more careful with recovery he didn't even try to gimp you but rather just edgehogging, if he tried to Dair gimp you then you would have been in more trouble.

At 1:05 he was in a freefall after a drill rush. You had an opportunity to punish him but didn't capitalize on it.

Just input on the Fatboy one, I'll get to the Moe one later.

iDeo

Smash Journeyman
Vids from a tourney awhile back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0sctszDNZA - vs fatboy's MK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0LNjxvfswc vs Moe's Marth/MK
In the Fatboy battle, it seemed you were kind of kill hungry. Remember when facing MK, take your time and keep your spacing up with the F-smash. Keep poking a little with the fair but dont make it predictable so he can punish. Also you daired a little too much after the fair, mix up your movements. For example, short-hop fair to air land behind or away from the opponent. It'll keep em' guessing on when your gonna dair after the fair.

As for Moe, when he switched to MK you became far too impatient and just attacked almost randomly. Just be patient when fighting MK. As for the Marth, you did really in staying close. But keep in mind to keep your enemy guessing with dair. If they haven't realized attacking under isn't working for them, just keep doing it.

Overall well fought matches.

iDeo

Smash Journeyman
here is one i would like to get critiqued http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yh9UvGrpmA second match. im gonna try to get a few more dedicated vids up soon

A little too aggressive. Wanna kinda lay back a bit b/c on the last stock you kinda just went wild and it cost you. I also noticed that u were using the nair off the stage which is kinda has an Ike effect if you're not careful.

Be more patient and take ur time. Don't be so eager to fair nair combo, just do a retreating fair to keep the opponent guessing on the second atk.

Kaiser6012

Smash Cadet
Well, I suppose, as a LUCARIO main, I should get to asking: How good is my LUCARIO?
For your judging purposes, here's a link to a video I made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GxLMU2ERIw
I know the quality of the video isn't great, but considering I recorded it using nothing more than an in-built webcam, I think it turned out okay.
So, how'm I doing? Good? Poor? Mediocre?

iDeo

Smash Journeyman
Well, I suppose, as a LUCARIO main, I should get to asking: How good is my LUCARIO?
For your judging purposes, here's a link to a video I made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GxLMU2ERIw
I know the quality of the video isn't great, but considering I recorded it using nothing more than an in-built webcam, I think it turned out okay.
So, how'm I doing? Good? Poor? Mediocre?
I wish u were fighting an actual opponent rather than a CPU. Trust me it makes a difference. I noticed you charged ur AS in front of the CPU which against an actual player u more than likely would have been punished. F-tilt to approach is good but not really effective; instead use the fair more and use the f-tilt as a little mix-up for approaching. Must space that f-smash otherwise opponents can shield grab among other counter-attacks.

You didn't shield or spot dodge enough so work on predicting your opponents movements that way u can get a feel of when to defend. Don't want to get punished by walking into some1 smash attack or something like that.

In addition you kinda attack wildly without thinking. You want to put urself in a position where you have options to attack. Overall you seem to be running on auto-pilot. Think your movements through.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
You weren't really fluid with your attacks at all in that display vid. Like iDeo said, you were on auto pilot mode and didn't really think out a lot of moves. Especially when you tried to up-b the cpu shiek lol. I was hoping you would try to punish out of shield by using utilt, jabs, grabs or anything else, but you pretty much just rolled around way too much.

You had the grasp to keep a fully charged aura sphere at all times and you were spamming that like crazy. ( I do that when I practice against comps for fun) However, don't do it when you're all the way across the stage and when they are on the ground already too that's a waste of a good aura sphere. Try practice shooting it when they are about to land to punish their landing lag.

Also be patient with your utilts, you were starting to do them too fast, when the non di shiek was able to get out of them. If you time them out, then you can catch her when she airdodges instead of trying to utilt as fast as you can to keep her caught in her. Control over speed, control over speed.

Kaiser6012

Smash Cadet
Hrmm... I can definitely see what you mean about playing CPUs vs. playing humans. The only reason I played against a CPU, and I think a bit of the reason behind my "auto-pilot", is that the only person I can play locally is my younger brother, and he gets a teensy bit upset (read: goes and turns it on to team battle, sets me on as an ally with items at full bore without saying a word) when I win a couple of times in a row.
As for the tactical advice, it's all stuff I'd never really thought of. I'm definitely going to incorporate it into my gameplay and try and either coax my bro into playing more one-on-one or, last resort, go onto wifi.
As for up-bing shiek, I knew what I was trying to do (go above the range of her usmash as a sort of fake-out), but I'm always underwhelmed by the effectiveness of Extreme Speed. Control is a big thing for me - I'm sure you noticed me racking up abysmally high percentages before being able to land the kill, and that's something I've got to try and eliminate.
Once again, thank you for the feedback. I've never played competitively, and I'm hoping that this will prepare me for my first "outing".

iDeo

Smash Journeyman
Hrmm... I can definitely see what you mean about playing CPUs vs. playing humans. The only reason I played against a CPU, and I think a bit of the reason behind my "auto-pilot", is that the only person I can play locally is my younger brother, and he gets a teensy bit upset (read: goes and turns it on to team battle, sets me on as an ally with items at full bore without saying a word) when I win a couple of times in a row.
As for the tactical advice, it's all stuff I'd never really thought of. I'm definitely going to incorporate it into my gameplay and try and either coax my bro into playing more one-on-one or, last resort, go onto wifi.
As for up-bing shiek, I knew what I was trying to do (go above the range of her usmash as a sort of fake-out), but I'm always underwhelmed by the effectiveness of Extreme Speed. Control is a big thing for me - I'm sure you noticed me racking up abysmally high percentages before being able to land the kill, and that's something I've got to try and eliminate.
Once again, thank you for the feedback. I've never played competitively, and I'm hoping that this will prepare me for my first "outing".
no prob. come back for more advice and have fun at ur local (hopefully u'll go to one soon enough). :):):):)

D. Disciple

Smash Master
1st match.

Not bad for a wifi match. A few things to remember though.

Do not try to force a kill when you're at high aura, that's when most people are afraid of Lucario and you left yourself open a lot when you were spamming fsmash unsafely. Just play it normally, be a bit more safe and rack up the damage, just about anything will kill MK when we're at high aura or send him off the stage.

Do not try to beat his glide attack with fsmash, you did it twice and you died for it. Made me very sad, our fair, utilt, nair, dair, aura sphere, usmash are guaranteed to beat it, and he was pretty low that all you had to do was fair the glide attack then punish with dair.

Also keep jabbing the hell outta him too, that's one thing that you keep doing. Other than that you were doing a decent job, Pictochat was a funny match and I saw you try to rage quit too.

hardnoir

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the input. I didn't know we had so many options in canceling his glide. That is pretty sweet. I very rarely fight MK, so I was unsure about a lot of things. He doesn't seem to be all that abundant on wifi, at least not at my level of play, and wifi is all I got. But now that I know this, I can't wait to fight this guys again and try it out.

And there were several instances were I tried to hit him with a fcas as he was landing, but each time he had another jump and completely evaded it. Is it worth trying to hit landing lag with MK, or should I reserve my aura spheres for other time? And rage quit? When?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Needs moar utilt, but yeah your pressure is getting really good.

lol half the stuff you do makes me think you're a planking MK lol.

In other news, I finally inputted the "infinite replay time" hack, so hopefully I'll get some videos added of me soon too :D

HyperEnergy

Smash Journeyman
You kept spacing yourself too close to Snake in the air after you used up all of your options. He hit you with dash attack/dacus each time you tried to land even when you tried to shoot an AS at him (except once I think). What would've been better was to space yourself slightly farther than that so that he would get hit by AS each time.

Zucco

Smash Master
Yo I got some new vids. I think I got faster with Lucario but eh.

Anyway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqhVdNVy-qk

Have at it guys, I know I made some silly mistakes in this match.
you need to focus on getting snake in the air more. Its where he is most vulnerable and one of the main reasons why this matchup is close.punishing him when he lands is also VERY important, cant stress that enough. AS is probably your best move to do this with, just make sure you read him and throw it so he lands on it and cant shield. o and upthrow uptilt is always good, I didnt see you do it at all. I know its not as strong as his other throws but since the goal is to keep him in the air it's really good in the MU.

also: judging wifi matches is hard, so im not going to bother when people post them.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSYzhzI3HOU

I'm ****ing bad, but I'm getting better according to others.

I wish I coulda got matches later in the night saved but I was ushered out because my mom showed up.

stuff I noticed myself during play:
I need to work on execution, no new controller johns! its bad when B reversals turn into sideBs and dash ASC turns into force palm.

Be more patient before using UpB if you get knocked into a bad position and theres a wall you can possibly cling to.

Double is fun.

and speaking of which

Doubles matches in a bit.

FlameWaveK + Awesome trying out the anubis strat VS Commandeef Beef + Razmakazi

1- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9KgNM-Oon4
2- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEOelUGAdMo
3- Will be up when youtube stops being dumb.

Zucco

Smash Master
ill wait for the quality to get better before I watch these.

<3 for using my crappy texture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom