• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~The Olimar Matchup Thread~Review: R.O.B. or someone~

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasook

Smash Champion
65:35 your favor, not ours. xD

And asob lol what you say is true, but do you have any ideas or suggestions on what Link should do?

Sorry for invading your boards lol

asob4

Smash Champion
i was just bored, but it is true, to a lesser degree obviously ha

the most i can say is spam jab
as jabs scare the crap out of oli

and i guess have GOD LIKE DI to try and live lol

sasook

Smash Champion
Well, I've heard from many that jabs work really well on Oli (not sure why, maybe due to his height? 'Cause jabs work really well on MK too).

And lol, Link mains are masters of DI.

.....mostly because we have no recovery.

Snail

Smash Lord
Jabs are scary to Olimar when they're fast enough to prevent Olimar from shieldgrabbing aerials with little lag, like Luigi's nair, Squirtle's fair, Peach's dair, thereby effectively shutting down part of his amazing defensive game.

Link's aerials and jabs are too slow for this, so I don't think we have to fear them much :3 Then again, I've never brawled against a half-decent Link offline so I can't really say for sure.

¤Vivi Orunitia¤

Smash Apprentice
So, I'm guessing that we've moved on and now we're rediscussing Link right or are we still on Falco(even though everyone died when we were talking about him)?

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Hey, a snake said he already told you about this, but he must have done it in the wrong place, cause I don't see anything in this thread about it, nor have I seen any olis in the discussion yet. So here it is.

The snakes are now discussing the olimar matchup. If you guys could help us out, that would be greatly appreciated. We would like it to be as accurate as possible, and seeing how you guys know your character far better than we do, we would be really grateful if you guys could help us out. Thanks in advance :)

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=235548

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
Falco is a real annoying challenge. He has lazers that allow him to spam and camp the match away. His reflector kills pkmn that latch on to him. In order to beat falco u need to get in close and juggle using nair. fair and bairs wil also do well against falco. Since Olimar is light he is hard to chain grab. This works out great for Olimar. I give this match 60/40 to falco.

Plasma Pikmin

Smash Apprentice
Yellows can beat most of Falco can camp with. Just latch a Yellow on the right spot on Falco, and he can't shoot them at all. I don't think his Reflector can get them off either. If you use Yellows efficiently, then Falco shouldn't be too bad. Plus, we have a CG on him. So that works out fine for us.

asob4

Smash Champion
1. falco can chain grab us. learned this from DEHF >.>
2. he can camp with us, but not better than us.
3. we can grab him up to 3 times in a row, which could be considered a CG i suppose
4. his jab is godly. dair -> buffered jab cannot be shield grabbed

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Olimar outcamps Falco.

At #4 on Skank's list- *cringe* That's what gets me every time.
At #3- You can only do it 2 times from 0% if they DI correctly. With the second dthrow being a yellow, though, you may be able to get another grab in.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
Falco's lazers have more range. He can stay farther away and hit u with projectiles. Falco out camps olimar. when olimar does get a successful sideb, Falco can reflect it away. u need to get close enough to falco to throw pkmn. Once falco is busy trying to kill the pkmn, u approach and get even closer. Now u must combine sidebs with airdodges and whistle super armor in order to get a successful grab or smash. The hard partof this matchup is getting close enough to falco. Once your close u have many options, though watch out. Falco has quick aeriasl. U have to make the most of your attacks once u get in close. Try using a lot of grab combos and nair combos to rack up damage. Don't get grabbed. And stay in the middle of the stage, Falco can sure spike.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
Falco's lazers have more range. He can stay farther away and hit u with projectiles. Falco out camps olimar. when olimar does get a successful sideb, Falco can reflect it away. u need to get close enough to falco to throw pkmn. Once falco is busy trying to kill the pkmn, u approach and get even closer. Now u must combine sidebs with airdodges and whistle super armor in order to get a successful grab or smash. The hard partof this matchup is getting close enough to falco. Once your close u have many options, though watch out. Falco has quick aeriasl. U have to make the most of your attacks once u get in close. Try using a lot of grab combos and nair combos to rack up damage. Don't get grabbed. And stay in the middle of the stage, Falco can sure spike.
We can throw pikmin to take hit from the lazers, we can short hop or better yet if its Final Destination we can out camp just by staying in the middle of the stage. Pikmin throw goes pretty far. Falco reflector would be better at reflecting pikmin if it was like Fox's or Wolf's. It is good at reflecting short amount of pikmin but not when it comes to a large amount. We can spam grabs and smashes if you end up approaching.

Also if our own pikmin end up attacking us we can use do nair, ftitl, uptilt, or most of olimar attacks to shake them off or better yet just use the whistle.

I also think but not to sure but since Falco falls kinda fast can we grab combo him to higher damage? Also yes he has a good chain grab that can lead to a spike but we really only have to worry if we are close to him >_>

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
We can throw pikmin to take hit from the lazers, we can short hop or better yet if its Final Destination we can out camp just by staying in the middle of the stage. Pikmin throw goes pretty far. Falco reflector would be better at reflecting pikmin if it was like Fox's or Wolf's. It is good at reflecting short amount of pikmin but not when it comes to a large amount. We can spam grabs and smashes if you end up approaching.

Also if our own pikmin end up attacking us we can use do nair, ftitl, uptilt, or most of olimar attacks to shake them off or better yet just use the whistle.

I also think but not to sure but since Falco falls kinda fast can we grab combo him to higher damage? Also yes he has a good chain grab that can lead to a spike but we really only have to worry if we are close to him >_>
Yes we can throw pkmn to take hits from lazers. Pkmn throw goes far but not as far as falcos lazers do. Approaching is the key. Good falcos will short hop and blast lazers preventing olimars from short hopping over lazers. The reflector is good at killing the pkmn once its latched. We must be in the middle of the stage to camp properly and prevent ourselves from being spiked. Nair is great for falco who r close by and the down throw, down throw, fair combo racks up some damage. The startegy in this matchup is to get in close enough to throw pkmn and grab. We must be evasive to get past those lazers. Once we get to our position in the middle of the stage we camp.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
In brawl camping is moving to a safe place on the stage to throw projectiles or charge certain attacks. Range isn't everything, however the fact that Falcos lazers flinch an opponent and only purple pkmn flinch counts a lot. Basiclly Because of the flinching ability opponents will have a harder time approaching falco than olimar.

Noa.

Smash Master
Ok. Falco may be a better camper.

Hilt was just saying that just because character A camps from a longer range than character B, that does not necessarily mean that that character A outcamps character B.

Noa.

Smash Master
Your last sentence in that other post made it seem like you were talking about camping in general and not this character specific matchup.

Meh, I don't know who outcamps the other. I think that Olimar might, but just by a bit. Olimar and Falco will both rack damage on each other, but Olimar will do it faster.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
Olimar will do more damage by a bit when he camps, but Falco will make it harder to approach when he camps.

Noa.

Smash Master
Falco's lasers stop aerial approaches, but Olimar approaches with grabs.

I'm not sure whether Falco's reflector outranges our grab but it's too laggy to be a consistent answer.

Falco's fsmash also might outrange us but again is too laggy.

Oli should be able to grab Falco when he tries to jab as long as Oli's spacing correctly.

I only see grounded laser and phantasm being able to stop Olimar from grabbing.

All in theory as I don't have sufficient Falco experience, but explain to me how it's hard to approach Falco. I sorely lack experience with this character but he doesn't seem that hard to approach. Especially compared to Oli's grabs and smashes.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
Its hard to approach a falco but not TOO hard. I said in my last post that its a lot easier with any character to approach a falco than an olimar. Draconoa44, who do u think gets the advantage in this match up. Falco or Olimar and how many times out of 100?

Noa.

Smash Master
I suppose I was reading your posts wrong.

I don't know anything much about the matchup. Olimar forces Falco to approach in the end. WHile Falco keeps up with him, Olimar just does camps better.

For approaches, Falco has dash attack, grab, dacus, bair and perhaps dair and bair. Dash attack usually leads to a dacus but it can be shieldgrabbed. Grab gets beat by our fsmash. Dair and bair are the problems though. While they can be pivotgrabbed, if one of those aerials attack our shield they can followup with a jab and then a grab. If you can shieldgrab between any of the moves then we're safe but mixups and stop it from being able to work all the time.

It does seem evenish, maybe a little in Oli's favor. Not by more than 60:40 though. On paper it seems that way.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
Looks like were gonna have to agree to disagree Drac. LOL. About my last post thats what I meant. When I said Olimar does more damage and Falco prevents approaching I meant to all characters. Anyway is say 60-40 Falco, maybe even 55-45 falco.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
Falco? Err. Pivot grabs. Lots of pivot grabs.

And uptilt is surprisingly useful.

I'd say 55/45 Falco if you can SDI to survive the chaingrab to spike. ><
I say 55-45 in Falco favor, I think it is more of 50 - 50

Olimar out camps Falco by a bit but not to much. I say the winner of the match would be which one is the better and more safe camper.

asob4

Smash Champion
walk, powershield, walk more, powershield again
yay i just approached falco :D
but now he side b's away
:[

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Olimar must hard counter Falco. There's no other explanation... And come to think of it, Ness must hard counter Metaknight because FoW, a 13 year old Ness player, knocked Tyrant out of losers at Smash in Nevada (SiN).

Seriously though, was it recorded? I'm genuinely interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom