• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~The Olimar Matchup Thread~Review: R.O.B. or someone~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
Olimar must hard counter Falco. There's no other explanation... And come to think of it, Ness must hard counter Metaknight because FoW, a 13 year old Ness player, knocked Tyrant out of losers at Smash in Nevada (SiN).

Seriously though, was it recorded? I'm genuinely interested.
looky there, i think is potted my tag :D

anyway, thered be a freaking parade if it turns out oli hard counters falco but seeing as that will never happen, im just going to take my free 0-50+ and leave it to a down smash or usmash to finish him, maybe even a grab, i hear oli is good at that.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
looks like theres gonna be no change in matchup numbers between falco and olimar on the olimar boards.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
looks like theres gonna be no change in matchup numbers between falco and olimar on the olimar boards.
We didn't actually come to an agreement on the ratio. I think it's 50-50 Falco if the Oli can both DI->tech roll/jump the chaingrab->dair spike, and force the Falco to approach. Otherwise, it's an advantage for Falco.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
We didn't actually come to an agreement on the ratio. I think it's 50-50 Falco if the Oli can both DI->tech roll/jump the chaingrab->dair spike, and force the Falco to approach. Otherwise, it's an advantage for Falco.
I say 55-45 falco. Mostly because falco out camps olimar. That just gives falco a slight edge.

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
I say 55-45 falco. Mostly because falco out camps olimar. That just gives falco a slight edge.
i dont whether to agree or not. falco is in no means a tough matchup or a an easy one.
id leave it as a 50-50 due to the fact that the match is more player dependent than it is character. think about it. what does falco have going for him against olimar? his projectile is good, his chain grab is great, his fsmash is ridiculous, and usmash alone is great. Now, what does olimar have thats going for him? grab game, spam game, the ability to bait and punish really well with over b to various mind games depending on what they do.

like i said, this is a matchup that is really player dependent, the characters are evenly matched, i play a falco on a regular basis, and to be honest, its more even than it is in one persons favor.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
His jab is the sole reason it's about even. Without it, we'd have a solid 60-40, maybe even 65-35.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
Well 55-45 is almost no different then 50-50. 50-50 sound reasonable though 55-45 falco is ok too. I say either even or SLIGHT edge falco, camping and quick aerials give falco a tiny edge in my opinion though you can call it even.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
His jab is the sole reason it's about even. Without it, we'd have a solid 60-40, maybe even 65-35.
this.

yay i finally approach falco, he's going to sideb but i was READY THIS TIME! good game falco i win.

expect the sideb always, and forevermore never let him get away from you. even if the falco catches on you are still a little closer than comfortable for them, they will try to find an opening and use it to get by you.

keep in mind, if you quarter circle DI you can land on the stage after falco's spike nearly every time, not even having to worry about getting spiked to death by it

SilverDoc~

Smash Lord
Sorry but I don't agree on the DEHF best falco quote, SK92 is the first thing that comes to almost everyones mind when they think about falco.

As opposed to the matchup, its 55-45 imo in olimars favor. They both have solid camping games, with falco just slightly above olimar in that department.

Olimar has a better smash game and a better grab game, which more than makes up for it.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hey guys, do any of y'all know how to get the html format in the editting window to look like the actual page, but in the editting window?

This is what I've got right now:

I can't work with that. >_____>

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
IDK, I thought that they were contributing >_> That might explain why they aren't here to begin with, someone needs to inform them.
Falco mains are jerks and we don't go to other people's discussions. However, if you'd like to join ours :)

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=238086

Uhhh . . . Yellow pikmin are the most annoying because they arch really high and I have to short hop reflector. Olimar's grab is broken because it's as long as a tether but has like no lag on it. It's also just kind of hard to keep track of what pikmin you have in line or when they're attacking and stuff. Maybe I just suck though. Uhmmmm . . . both characters are pretty easily gimped, but I just think Olimar is more so. Falco's offstage Bair is amazing. The skill difference between DEHF and SK92 probably isn't much. Most Falco's agree that DEHF is better though. I think the matchup is gay:gay with a slight gay advantage to Falco.

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
Hey guys, do any of y'all know how to get the html format in the editting window to look like the actual page, but in the editting window?

This is what I've got right now:

I can't work with that. >_____>

i have no idea what you are talking about, maybe an example might help me help you?

Noa.

Smash Master
He wants to edit the first post but he can't because of all the codes for the colors and sizes etc. He wanted to know if there was a way to edit the post while it wasn't so complicated.

Maybe you can open two windows of your internet browser and have the edit post on one side and the viewable post on the other.

While writing this post I had a lot of trouble coming up with words to describe certain things.

Deva

Smash Lord
Sorry but I don't agree on the DEHF best falco quote, SK92 is the first thing that comes to almost everyones mind when they think about falco.

As opposed to the matchup, its 55-45 imo in olimars favor. They both have solid camping games, with falco just slightly above olimar in that department.

Olimar has a better smash game and a better grab game, which more than makes up for it.

SK92 is really freakin good and a top Falco for sure. I'm just goin off based on stats. as of this past year, DEHF has been winning/ placing top 3 at almost all the SoCal tournaments he's been to while the same ones SK92 attends he's made roughly top 10 but always lower than DEHF and never performs as well against the other top players.

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
He wants to edit the first post but he can't because of all the codes for the colors and sizes etc. He wanted to know if there was a way to edit the post while it wasn't so complicated.

Maybe you can open two windows of your internet browser and have the edit post on one side and the viewable post on the other.

While writing this post I had a lot of trouble coming up with words to describe certain things.
maybe do what i did when i went to completely redo the video thread, copy past it all into a word pad and then work from there, BBC isnt too hard to work with and i know it made it a **** ton easier for me

clowsui

Smash Legend
sk92 is the first falco that comes to mind because he's been around in the brawl community for longer >__>;

also falco vs olimar is one of the most even matchups, i think...olimar doesn't have the tools to beat falco up close but he outcamps him

the way to beat falco is to fight him at a range that's beyond his ftilt (just as a unit of measurement). falco has no tools that he can safely execute at that range that are safe on block. he will always have to try and reset the situation to neutral on his own, which is basically a guessing game. just get into mid range, and if he phantasms away then w/e, it's not any good for him anyways since you can outcamp him.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Smart, desynched, short hopped blizzard spam is really annoying. At the moment, I have no way to get past it besides using a punishable roll or just straight up jumping over it and hoping they don't hit me with upairs, lol.

That's what my occasional Snake practice is for. :3

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
Smart, desynched, short hopped blizzard spam is really annoying. At the moment, I have no way to get past it besides using a punishable roll or just straight up jumping over it and hoping they don't hit me with upairs, lol.

Throw Pikmin, Throw Pikmin! Whats that they throwing ice shield or jump and throw more pikmin. What they running at us short hop and nair or fair. Throw more Pikmin!! What they running at us wanting to grab! Forward smash Forward Smash! Run Back! Continure till at 80 damge! UP Smash

Um whats a good attack that can seperate Nana. I think Nair and uptilt seem to work the best

Cook

Smash Master

Yeah, I was actually gonna ask how to get past that approach. Anyone else have an answer?

Fino

Smash Master
Yeah, I was actually gonna ask how to get past that approach. Anyone else have an answer?
They will either mess up and leave and opening for an fsmash (rare) or you will have to hop above them and FF a nair (preferably towards the back of them).

Um whats a good attack that can seperate Nana. I think Nair and uptilt seem to work the best
C-stick + another move. Or grab

~Fino

Noa.

Smash Master
The blizzard is really the only thing in the matchup that's hard. If it wasn't for the blizzard it'd easily be in Olimar's favor. The only real option apparently is to jump over it, but that doesn't stop it from being annoying.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Soooo basically, we have to rely on them messing up? >_>

It's not hard to keep the blizzards going. Nor is it hard to upair when someone jumps over.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you shield the hit going up, immediately jump up and either upb or upair. Upair does more damage, though.

If you're not close enough to do that, then don't try to punish his landing glide attack. If he spaces correctly, you won't be able to shieldgrab it because the followup dsmash or dtilt will come out sooner. If you think they'll dsmash afterwards, you can shield both the glide attack and dsmash, and then shieldgrab. You're opening up the possibility of them grabbing you or using dtilt after the glide attack though, so don't do that very often- only if you see a pattern. Also, sometimes you'll have enough room to either run underneath him and upsmash or pivotgrab his landing. I wouldn't recommend pivotgrabbing while running away from him because he may glide back up and down and punish you for it. If he's predictable though, go ahead.

Stay unpredictable about how you choose to punish and if he's smart, he'll stop using it so much because you'll be able to punish so well.

Other than that, try to just run away and avoid that situation altogether. Sometimes you just won't be able to punish it. Know when to do what and how to react and you should be fine.

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
shield it
xP
hell is coming???

anyway, i have the same problem but i found the best way to avoid it is to try and predict it, shield it, and if they actually used it roll behind the shuttle loop and comense spam again, or shield and confront him in the air.
me? spam? i know right???

Excellence

Smash Champion
If you shield the hit going up, immediately jump up and either upb or upair. Upair does more damage, though.

If you're not close enough to do that, then don't try to punish his landing glide attack. If he spaces correctly, you won't be able to shieldgrab it because the followup dsmash or dtilt will come out sooner. If you think they'll dsmash afterwards, you can shield both the glide attack and dsmash, and then shieldgrab. You're opening up the possibility of them grabbing you or using dtilt after the glide attack though, so don't do that very often- only if you see a pattern. Also, sometimes you'll have enough room to either run underneath him and upsmash or pivotgrab his landing. I wouldn't recommend pivotgrabbing while running away from him because he may glide back up and down and punish you for it. If he's predictable though, go ahead.

Stay unpredictable about how you choose to punish and if he's smart, he'll stop using it so much because you'll be able to punish so well.

Other than that, try to just run away and avoid that situation altogether. Sometimes you just won't be able to punish it. Know when to do what and how to react and you should be fine.
Thanks DanGR, you always seem to know all the answer. Will Shield > Up Tilt work?

shield it
xP
I've been trying man and it isn't working to well. When I say all he's doing is spamming it, I mean all he's doing is spamming. He Glides Toward me, then Glide Attacks or Shuttle Loops, then either Glide Attacks out of the Loop or Tornado. I can't punish any of that. A couple times I've spiked him out of his Tornado by Smash DI up and then D-Air, but it doesn't always work out too well for me because the lag on D-Air allows him to get-up-down-smash.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Thanks DanGR, you always seem to know all the answer. Will Shield > Up Tilt work?

I've been trying man and it isn't working to well. When I say all he's doing is spamming it, I mean all he's doing is spamming. He Glides Toward me, then Glide Attacks or Shuttle Loops, then either Glide Attacks out of the Loop or Tornado. I can't punish any of that. A couple times I've spiked him out of his Tornado by Smash DI up and then D-Air, but it doesn't always work out too well for me because the lag on D-Air allows him to get-up-down-smash.
Uptilt as in the attack or tilting up while shielding? The latter will help you shield through the tornado.

Dair isn't a great option for punishing it from up high. Nair is better, as it doesn't have as much punishable lag, it's multihit (so it may clank with some parts of the tornado like it does sometimes), and it sends them into the air instead of down below you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom