• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~The Olimar Matchup Thread~Review: R.O.B. or someone~

Status
Not open for further replies.

jog

Smash Journeyman
our grab > your fsmash.

olimar has the worst recovery in the game >_> so i don't see why you're pointing out lucario's is better. that's understood.

fine go ahead and use DT while i stick 3 pikmin on you and rack up the damage to stupid amounts while you just use DT the whole time.

while olimar is "yanking pikmin" he has invincibility...

60-40 olimar

Dyyne

Smash Ace
@RK Joker

Actually, we're not the least bit vulnerable while plucking because of pluck cancelling. If you pluck, you can use any move immediately after. As long as the olimar doesn't pluck too many times, he shouldn't be too vulnerable at all.

EDIT sry wut jog? We don't have invincibility while "yanking"

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Who says to use Double Team as soon as you're hit? That makes it about as bad as normal countering. I didn't say to use DT the whole time. Oh, and your Pikmin disappear when we use DT (you see, you don't even know the properties :p). Oli has invincibility while yanking? That's cheap, but okay.

BTW: Powershield > Pikmin Throw. What's your point?

EDIT: So you DON'T have invincibility. I figured you hadn't, I was rather surprised. But Pluck Cancelling... I suppose that's useful. You could pluck cancel then throw a Pikmin to block an Aura Sphere... nice trick!

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Double Team is but one of the useful things in the matchup. I was just explaining how useful it can be. Besides, power shield helps too, right? I don't see why to not use it. Or just F-Smash the Pikmin to death while slowly approaching and repeating.

asob4

Smash Champion
actually, pikmin pluck has 1-2 frames of invincibilty
i've dodged lazers wif it

you can't power shield toss... they'll latch on if you lack a full shield. and even still they might latch
you can only PS purples.

DT is utterly useless, it'll result in more latches and more damage leading to quick deaths

EDIT: please spam fsmash
we'll latch to your head and you won't be able to get rid of them.
then we'll powershield your fsmash and grab for a blue bthrow or purple uthrow

jog

Smash Journeyman
ahhh so pikmin pluck does have invincibility frames. i knew i read that somewhere. thanks asob :)

also while lucario uses fsmash to kill pimkin he stales fsmash in the process. not such a great idea...

|RK|

Smash Marketer
No, because DT gets rid of the Pikmin on us. And it's called Short Hop Fast Fall N-Air. Or U-Air since our entire body is a hitbox. It's really easy to remove Pikmin actually, and approach. However we'd have to learn the trajectory of the Pikmin. Oh, and at full power, your Pikmin will only hit us three times. Beyond that, only two.

EDIT: If it helps us approach, it helps us approach. Sides, 1-2 invincibility frames doesn't change much.

EDIT2: No, wait, F-Tilt. That'd work. 'Specially since we can tilt according to trajectory.

jog

Smash Journeyman
wouldn't up-tilt be your best option for removing pikmin since its probably his fastest move and stops approach for the most part. and really pikmin latch isn't just all about damage, its about distracting your opponent into getting the little buggers off so we can punish whatever you're doing.

asob4

Smash Champion
WHEN DT FINISHES YOU ARE VULNERABLE TO MORE LATCHES

when you are at high damage we stop stop tossing unless it's a purple
we can kill you around 120-ish

**** have you ever played against an olimar before!?!?!?!

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Ssssay what? Hm, I didn't know that. Well, pluck invincibility frames still aren't useful for the whole AS situation since it moves so slowly.

@RK
We wouldn't be tossing pikmin for anything but mindgames at the percent they hit 3 or 2 time. Lucario probably wouldn't even live to that percent.

edit: People post faster than me :(

edit2: I gotta say, even if this whole DT thing is kinda silly, it's the first heated discussion in oli boards for a while at least.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Well, I wouldn't say Up-Tilt simply because having Tap Jump on makes it hard to use for me, lol. But yeah, U-Tilt is good. As for this matchup, I highly doubt it's anything less than 55:45. In fact, I'd think it's 50:50. So here's a random vid of the matchup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqKv-1widM0

EDIT: Erm, DT is supposed to be used as a random surprise move. I didn't say we wouldn't be vulnerable to more latches, but we could get rid of em just as fast, because you guys were still talking about DT. It still does remove it rather fast. But back to the point...

EDIT2: We're working on surviving longer. I think I'll pick up Jiggs for that express purpose. It's like EV training, lol.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
uhm... whistle guard has about 15 frames of super armor and it's amazing.

i was just wanting to test it because i didnt even know it existed xD

oh, and next time... play a video of a lucario vs an olimar that knows the matchup.
who the ****'s jmoan? O_o

jog

Smash Journeyman
that olimar in the video got gimped twice. if a link could gimp us twice like that i wouldn't go shouting around "its 50-50 because i got 2 stocked by a link" we're looking at how the moves match up and how well we get around you and how well you get around us. also that is milln playing lucario, one of the best lucario's i've seen, idk who the olimar even was. plus did milln use DT when he had pikmin on him? i didn't watch the whole thing but from what i saw he didn't.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
No he did not. But I would :p and then mindgame you so you wouldn't know whether I'd DT or attack. Oh, and not because of the video. It's just definitely not one of his worst matchups. 55:45 Olimar at worst (for us, that is).

EDIT: I don't remember saying go DT crazy. Stale-Move Negation DOES exist...

jog

Smash Journeyman
look i've played lucaio's that think they can use DT because of pikmin latch and i just shield it and punish i speak out of experience not theory. i encourage a lucario to use DT and try to "mind game me" and the way you've been pushing DT and how awesome you've been making it sound, yes, it does sound like you should go DT crazy.

55 - 40
just because i don't think lucario can do better than 40 against olimar. the other 5 goes to MK :)

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Well I apologize for making it sound that way. It's just that I had to reiterate it so much times that it seemed like I was pushing it. The best things it's good for are

1) Recovery
2) Teleportation
3) Aerial Attack

Dyyne

Smash Ace
No he did not. But I would :p and then mindgame you so you wouldn't know whether I'd DT or attack. Oh, and not because of the video. It's just definitely not one of his worst matchups. 55:45 Olimar at worst (for us, that is).

EDIT: I don't remember saying go DT crazy. Stale-Move Negation DOES exist...
You shouldn't use DT much at all even if stale moves didn't exist...In fact, stale moves is probably a bigger motive to use it, and you still shouldn't use it much at all.

Zori

Smash Champion
i have played lee martin, azen, zujis, RT, various good wifi lucarios and my 7 year old brother and my opinion on the match match up is,lucario looks like sly cooper

asob4

Smash Champion
lmfao!

azen doesn't count, just as BoA doesn't count for me

it's not the character, they are just THAT good with anyone so they are void from all match up discussion

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I just really don't believe that Olimar is that hard of a matchup. If you list pros of each, even on paper it doesn't seem bad. We can approach you well, we have a sort of aerial attack, we can get off Pikmin easily. Once we're close enough, all you can do is your epic grab, and so long as we stay away from that by using say F-Smash, we're good. We can gimp your recovery (though that's not so big of a deal). Really, even on paper it doesn't look bad. It's not nearly as bad as other matchups, and since Dedede and Marth are 60:40, Olimar is not on that level, so I'd drop that 5%.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I just really don't believe that Olimar is that hard of a matchup. If you list pros of each, even on paper it doesn't seem bad. We can approach you well, we have a sort of aerial attack, we can get off Pikmin easily. Once we're close enough, all you can do is your epic grab, and so long as we stay away from that by using say F-Smash, we're good. We can gimp your recovery (though that's not so big of a deal). Really, even on paper it doesn't look bad. It's not nearly as bad as other matchups, and since Dedede and Marth are 60:40, Olimar is not on that level, so I'd drop that 5%.
no. play a good olimar before you start making that assumption.

jog

Smash Journeyman
but you're talking about all of this from theory, not from experience, have you ever even played an olimar?

Timbers

check me out
By faking out I mean shorthopping and canceling my jump early. And this is why I'll eventually be better than all of you :D I do remember saying that on a projectile to projectile basis they can outcamp us. I know it's slower/laggier. That's why I said a single Pikmin. I know we can't outcamp them. But we do have pretty good options against long distance attacks like that. I know how to play, Timbers. Whine about Double Team all you want, I'll just figure out how to better use it. Enjoy yourselves whining about it. If you don't use it you can't figure out how to make it good...

And Double Team is freaking good against long range attacks. So whereas you may not consider it an option, I'll use my time getting better than you.
lololololo

LOLO

OLO

LOLolooOLlol

lolloo0oollol

ol

who are you
You're invincible until it ends, and once it does you can shield directly out of it.
There's at least 20 frames of afterlag after your invincibility to be punished. For some guy who talks about how amazing he is with this move and how educated you act, it's a bad bluff.
wouldn't up-tilt be your best option for removing pikmin since its probably his fastest move and stops approach for the most part. and really pikmin latch isn't just all about damage, its about distracting your opponent into getting the little buggers off so we can punish whatever you're doing.
I personally like sh nair for getting rid of it. You can control your movement while keeping a hitbox out and getting rid of pikmin. Utilt, you're on the ground, stationary, and in lag. That's just asking to get punished imo.
obviously you've never played against an olimar if you think it is 55-45 at worst
I have you know I become overly affectionate with those who share the same opinions I do.
Luc has lame approaches, especially on characters with lengthy defensive options and, well, short characters. Luc's super amazing safe approach against shields becomes moot when the opponent is short enough to avoid a rising fair unless you're like point blank with him.

Fsmash can easily be grabbed by Olimar oos.

now everyone stop ****ing talking about double team. its not even worth the effort of speaking about it. It's a bad move and anyone who disagrees shouldn't be apart of this discussion anyways. Lets talk about better things.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Heya late people. Did you notice we started talking about the matchup? You brought it up again.

Samuelson

Smash Lord
lmfao!

azen doesn't count, just as BoA doesn't count for me

it's not the character, they are just THAT good with anyone so they are void from all match up discussion
Does that mean i shouldn't count :)

@RK - DUDE! You're really cool but you need to the the **** up about DT. It's a worthless move pretty much no matter what, in every matchup and in every possible scenario.
OMFG!!! HDLSJDF:OJE:NCLKN

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
I have a quick question about the invincibility frames on Olimar's pluck. Are you sure it isn't a change in hitbox?

A similar discussion was going on in the Luigi boards, because someone found out for a couple frames Luigi would not get hit by lasers. However, they then found out the rest of his body was vulnerable and only the hitbox around his head disappeared. Or so I recall.

So I'd just thought I'd check to make sure.

By the way: I agree with the Olimar Boards and the Lucario Boards (minus RK Joker). For reasons that have been beaten to death.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I mean that F-Air is good for approaching through Pikmin.

;_; I stopped talking about Double Team. You guys keep bringing it up.

Great, now everyone thinks I'm crazy. As for the F-Smash thing, that's what one of you Olimars said. And obviously they shouldn't see the F-Smash coming, Timbers.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
If only one of you good Olimars lived in MD. Then we'd dance.

EDIT: Obama's part Irish O_o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom