• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~The Olimar Matchup Thread~Review: R.O.B. or someone~

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
I think all english in this thread should be kept above an eighth grade level. We're all aware Luigi's Neutral Aerial goes through Olimar's Up Smash and hits him. Yes, you are able to Pivot Grab or Shield Grab Luigi out of his Cyclone. I wouldn't try standing grab because sometimes you'll get him, other times cyclone will hit you, and he may break free as you grab him allowing him to Forward Smash you.
I should really learn to re-read my post before I post. Ouch did not now the forward smash part >_>.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I can firmly say that it's def a 60-40. Otherwise a 65-35 on a CP stage. I played some olimars in friendlies and boy they <3 pivot grabs everywhere. But the thing is that I tornado'd alot and couldn't have the right time to grab it, mostly because of mindgames (lol) and the ways it's set up. Otherwise everything else, he can pivot grab so, if a olimar has no luigi experience doesn't know about luigi's godly nair, he can still keep playing as if hes playing someone else, as long he keeps the pivot grab game going. Otherwise, luigi's will catch on and will play ALOT more safe when fastfalling about to hit the ground. Otherwise once I get olimars in the air, they're pretty much done and once their offstage or on the edge, they're done as well.

Alot of the olimars i played played well in terms of koing actually. Most luigis suck on the edge considering olimar's multiple options on pressuring/stage control. If luigis go for a ledgeattack/roll, all olimar has to do is stay out of range ad just run in with a purple upsmash and that's a winner. if luigi goes for a ledgedrop or a ledgejump to nair <- (seems to be most safest option ) then olimar can just do upb or if hes close enough, he can upsmash. But yeah koing will revolve mostly in punishing luigi's floatiness and when he's on the edge.

60-40 for me. the tourney was pretty good

Excellence

Smash Champion
I can firmly say that it's def a 60-40. Otherwise a 65-35 on a CP stage. I played some olimars in friendlies and boy they <3 pivot grabs everywhere. But the thing is that I tornado'd alot and couldn't have the right time to grab it, mostly because of mindgames (lol) and the ways it's set up. Otherwise everything else, he can pivot grab so, if a olimar has no luigi experience doesn't know about luigi's godly nair, he can still keep playing as if hes playing someone else, as long he keeps the pivot grab game going. Otherwise, luigi's will catch on and will play ALOT more safe when fastfalling about to hit the ground. Otherwise once I get olimars in the air, they're pretty much done and once their offstage or on the edge, they're done as well.

Alot of the olimars i played played well in terms of koing actually. Most luigis suck on the edge considering olimar's multiple options on pressuring/stage control. If luigis go for a ledgeattack/roll, all olimar has to do is stay out of range ad just run in with a purple upsmash and that's a winner. if luigi goes for a ledgedrop or a ledgejump to nair <- (seems to be most safest option ) then olimar can just do upb or if hes close enough, he can upsmash. But yeah koing will revolve mostly in punishing luigi's floatiness and when he's on the edge.

60-40 for me. the tourney was pretty good
Olimar's Up Smash trades hits with Luigi's Nair? What are the conditions for the trade? Do I have to let Luigi release his Nair first then Up Smash, or do I have to Up Smash first? What colors work for the trade off?

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Er I think either me or you misunderstood what I wrote :)

I meant that, if luigi does a ledgejump to nair (remember its a sex kick so the hitbox stays out longer) I THINK, he will get ***** by upsmash. I don't know, it might have been me just not able to press the button quick enough in comparison to oli's quick upsmash.

Oli just has to stay in a safe distance, then as soon as luigi gets up, he just has to run in quickly and get a upsmash kill. Or at least that's how I got ***** by it in last night's tourney. I find the upsmash purple really strong 0.0. lol.

edit: oh yeah, since a ledgejump to a nair is pretty high, unless the luigi doesn't fastfall it to autocancel, then you just gotta wait for him to finish it since it lasts about 31 frames or so.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
All of Luigi's aerials eat though upsmash. You shouldn't be ledgehopping nairs anyways. You should ledgehop a fair and then based on Olimar's movements, you plan your next attack. If they run in for an upsmash, or really anything, then spam the "A" button afterwards because there is absolutely nothing Olimar can do up close against it. If he sits back, he may upb, use a pivotgrab, or an fsmash. Nair eats through fsmash. You can just land on the ground away from the pivotgrab or upb.

Excellence

Smash Champion
It wasn't Hippie, Dabuz said something about Olimar's Up Smash trading hits with Luigi's Nair. There are a few circumstances when I think I may have managed Up Smash against Luigi's NAir, but maybe I hit immediately after the hitbox closed.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
It wasn't Hippie, Dabuz said something about Olimar's Up Smash trading hits with Luigi's Nair. There are a few circumstances when I think I may have managed Up Smash against Luigi's NAir, but maybe I hit immediately after the hitbox closed.
i said nair/fair/dair all go through upsmash, its uselass against luigi's aerials

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
All of Luigi's aerials eat though upsmash. You shouldn't be ledgehopping nairs anyways. You should ledgehop a fair and then based on Olimar's movements, you plan your next attack. If they run in for an upsmash, or really anything, then spam the "A" button afterwards because there is absolutely nothing Olimar can do up close against it. If he sits back, he may upb, use a pivotgrab, or an fsmash. Nair eats through fsmash. You can just land on the ground away from the pivotgrab or upb.
hm that seems just about right. i guess considering im really inpatient on the edge and the olimar is lighting quick on hyphen upsmashing so meh lol.

oh yeah, can you guys give us like the pages of worth of discussion? or the worthy quotes for the discussion? so we can add it to our own matchup thread, so we don't have to go through it all over again. thanks alot.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
In all honesty this matchup is one of the most confusing for me, but I do refrain from saying difficult but I think it's more defuddling than difficlut. It's the moves Luigi's do that confuse me and, when hit with these moves, which ways I should DI or what to do after that leaves me with a question mark face.

Tornado Spam: For once It's not with MK but it's still Annoying. Ok sometimes I'm able to grab it, and sometimes it eats through everything I do. I mostly try to smash at it(mainly f smash) and that sometimes gets eaten, or sometimes it seems like it hits for more damage than it normally would.
Also I am not necessarily sure on which way to DI to ge tout faster, sometimes I DI straight down and it seems i hit the ground and am not able to get hit any more or othertimes I attempt the same thing, and it just keeps me under and I get hit eith everything.

I've also noticed a couple Olimar's i've watched in tourney vs a Luigi get up in the air and try to fight their way down. This is one of the most laughable things I've seen. I personally think trying to do that are just futile attempts out of frustration. Good Luigi's won't miss aerials and nothing we have sans Up and B(you usually have to be at a distance to do this, or if your'e that gutsy go for it) goes through anything they have. Big tip: DON'T FIGHT NAIR. It has lost me matches :/

Now that iv'e been typing for a minute I don't really remember what point I was trying to make in the first place, But take whatever I said with a grain of salt.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I understand what you mean dotcom. I fight luigi dittos in a daily basis. It's always confusing where to DI. Luigi's dsmash sends in differents angles of trajectory making it hard to DI.

Luigi's tornado I think is based on how much it moves across the stage. If your DIing left or right, and the torndo is going across of the stage you'll be eating damage across of the stage. On second thought, i have no clue wth i just said. I just try to dI dignaoally up.

Anyways, that's what makes luigi such a odd (good / bad) char. He's weird low traction, insane priority on Nair, hes predictability is what makes him and hurts him.

Oh and luigi's are always best at observing. That's the way they punish their foes and look for openings. Like I said, they'll be following you where ever you DI until they make a mistake :)

KingKirb

Smash Journeyman
Luigi's really odd to fight. He's got weird attacks and even weirder hitboxes. All I can say is pivot grab often and remember your combos...

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I think we should talk about samus:

imo it's 90-10 in our favor....

I say this because I want xyro to come to our boards and challenge us... meaning I will have time with xyro :D

~Fino
well the moment you decide samus is your next objective. ill be here.

asob4

Smash Champion
i played xyro in losers bracket at WCSL
i lost because it was my first time EVER playing a samus

good job to him though

ajax avenged me <333

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
i played xyro in losers bracket at WCSL
i lost because it was my first time EVER playing a samus

good job to him though

ajax avenged me <333

OH YEA! i remember you. yea thats the ONE and only perk of being a low tier main, lots and lots of people dont know how to fight us.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
so dunno if this died yet but, shall we go 60-40? 65-35 seems way too beastly since i fought a pivot grab happy olimar =). unless your on a CP stage then pretty much. The only stage i can think of oli excelling is being gay on norfair. otherwise... norfair is gay ;3

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I personally can't accept anything lower than 65-35 without feeling like I'm misleading the Olimar players that come here for guidance. Unless some more Olis come in here and agree to 60-40, that is. It's really a miserable matchup if the Luigi does it correctly, and I advise every Olimar player to get a secondary for it.

hippiedude92, all you have to do is short hop fair->nair onto the Olimar player's shield and jab afterwards. If they shield, you jab cancel to grab. If they don't, you combo them till they die. If they run backwards and you see it, then let him! He'll get cornered eventually. He can't pivotgrab forever. Just avoid the pivotgrabs and spam that one approach and you'll win every time. The only thing he has to combat against it is standing upb, but if he misses, he'll lag enough for you to fsmash or firepunch him if he's at a high percent or just throw him up into the air at lower percents. Don't edgeuard with bair, but rather fairs and dairs, and then if he whistles, quickly use a nair to punish it. I promise you you'll do very well against Oli if you do those things.

asob4

Smash Champion
well i play ROFL from time to time, we usually go back and forth
luigi isn't tooooo bad you just have to play safer than usual. ya feel?
he's still horrible D:
62-38? lol

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
yeah, this match is pretty one-sided, idk how ive even beat the good weegees but yeah, if you up-b, jab, and tilt correctly and learn that you shouldn't try to get the grab much in this match it becomes more manageable though

|RK|

Smash Marketer
You know, I think of you Olimars more like Shikamaru from Naruto. Carefully planning and using your Pikmin strategically. Watching enemy attack patterns whilst camping (or as called in the Lucario boards "Smart Spamming" Use a move repeatedly to see what the opponent does) and making sure you know which Pikmin are coming up in your line and how to make the best out of them. Keep up the good work!

I suppose you can...hey, does anything change about a Pikmin if it's hit by its own element? I mean, I know it negates the attack, but...

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
You know, I think of you Olimars more like Shikamaru from Naruto. Carefully planning and using your Pikmin strategically. Watching enemy attack patterns whilst camping (or as called in the Lucario boards "Smart Spamming" Use a move repeatedly to see what the opponent does) and making sure you know which Pikmin are coming up in your line and how to make the best out of them. Keep up the good work!

I suppose you can...hey, does anything change about a Pikmin if it's hit by its own element? I mean, I know it negates the attack, but...
dude, shikamaru was like the only good character in that show lol

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
**** luigi
i know right =[. **** olimar's grab game and my nubiness to counter it lawl

yeah, this match is pretty one-sided, idk how ive even beat the good weegees but yeah, if you up-b, jab, and tilt correctly and learn that you shouldn't try to get the grab much in this match it becomes more manageable though
lol theres the difference of good and bad weegees, the bad who just love predictably spam dair nair (mostly nair) and the good.. just look up boss lol

well i play ROFL from time to time, we usually go back and forth
luigi isn't tooooo bad you just have to play safer than usual. ya feel?
he's still horrible D:
62-38? lol
ROFL is pretty good luigi. Pretty sub par to boss and biglou there.

I personally can't accept anything lower than 65-35 without feeling like I'm misleading the Olimar players that come here for guidance. Unless some more Olis come in here and agree to 60-40, that is. It's really a miserable matchup if the Luigi does it correctly, and I advise every Olimar player to get a secondary for it.

hippiedude92, all you have to do is short hop fair->nair onto the Olimar player's shield and jab afterwards. If they shield, you jab cancel to grab. If they don't, you combo them till they die. If they run backwards and you see it, then let him! He'll get cornered eventually. He can't pivotgrab forever. Just avoid the pivotgrabs and spam that one approach and you'll win every time. The only thing he has to combat against it is standing upb, but if he misses, he'll lag enough for you to fsmash or firepunch him if he's at a high percent or just throw him up into the air at lower percents. Don't edgeuard with bair, but rather fairs and dairs, and then if he whistles, quickly use a nair to punish it. I promise you you'll do very well against Oli if you do those things.
Wow, I didn't think of that, that they'll be cornered eventually :( Never thought of that at all. If i do these things, then maybe it won't feel like a 65-35 in oli's favor with me getting pivot grab everywhere lmao. But yeah, i never thought of that thanks alot. Hm, 60-40 does sound fine though,just surprised that wigi is one of his worst matchups (out of all ppl lol.). If anything, or if your grab spam happy, pick up d3 as a secondary :laugh:

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
i had a chance to face Themann awhile back, but we never got around to our mm... >.> owell

the only luigi i face on a regular basis is cr4sh.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
yeah, ive faced biglou and jbandrew so i would say ive fought the "good ones" enough to know how it goes, another note is olimar, sorta like in wario matchup has to be moving and jumping alot in this match to not get cornered and owned from shielding, you will probably be using alot of fair and upair in this matchup mainly besides the tilts

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Projectiles are a good way to beat the pivot grab I would think. If you see him going to pivot grab, try sh fireballing to fake him out. Just an idea, might be pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom