• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~The Olimar Matchup Thread~Review: R.O.B. or someone~

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigLøu

Smash Lord
I don't agree that this is olis absolute worst matchup, but for sure I agree that this is in luigis advantage and probably close to 60:40 luigi advantage. Olis pivot grab will help a lot in this matchup (can grab out of luigis cyclone). THrowing pikmin doesn't really work well against luigi, as he can easily break them with a nair or fair. Olimar dies at pretty low damage too, and luigi kills retartedly early. Also, everytime I jab an olimar, im almost guarenteed an upb. ( I guess because olimar is more floaty). Moves that piss luigi off ( or at least me) is olimars up smash,up air, and pivot grabs( grabs in general too).

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
The main problem I have with Luigi is a SH->fair->nair->jab approach when Olimar is backed into a corner and unable to pivotgrab anymore. Olimar can't shieldgrab the approach because his grab is too slow. If Olimar shields through the whole thing, he risks a jab cancel to grab. Upsmash doesn't beat out either aerial, nair doesn't, and uptilt will trade hits with the nair. (And since it's multihit, that's only about 2% on Luigi, and whatever nair does to Olimar)

Also, against pivotgrabs (if you know he'll pivotgrab), you can short hop an aerial and then land with a fireball to interrupt the grab. You can't be very predictable with it though.

Luigi is difficult to rack damage against. Every time Olimar dthrows at low percents, you can just spam the nair and it'll break through fairs, upsmashes, fsmashes, and nairs. If the Olimar player sees the nair coming and tries to dthrow->shieldgrab, Luigi can just nair into jabs like I mentioned earlier. When you condition the Olimar player to abandon dthrow->fsmash, upsmash, etc., it's pretty easy to just jump away from the dthrow comboing.

They both kill well, and Luigi racks more easily, applies pressure well, and doesn't have any problems against Olimar's camping. I think it's around 60-40 to 65-35.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think when MKs actually learn to play the Olimar matchup correctly, it will be our hardest. (maybe tied with Luigi) Some of the things the so called "good" Metaknight players do against Olimar are just stupid. (as in not smart)

asob4

Smash Champion
i've taught MK's to play it right (BoA, TKD) and i still get close to them/beat them, so i think it's gonna stay at 60-40

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think that if you still win against MKs that know the matchup well, then it's just you being awesome or unpredictable, not the character. XP

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I still think its 55-45. Oh and gimping isn't much of a problem really. Though luigi does have slightly upper hand on recovery compared to Oli's but nonetheless can be gimped.

Retreating Dair to fireballs can't be grabbed (def sure) and since most oli's will tend to shield grab, fireballs will intruppt it like you said before.

asob4

Smash Champion
I think that if you still win against MKs that know the matchup well, then it's just you being awesome or unpredictable, not the character. XP
ha maybe maybe ;D

I still think its 55-45. Oh and gimping isn't much of a problem really. Though luigi does have slightly upper hand on recovery compared to Oli's but nonetheless can be gimped.

Retreating Dair to fireballs can't be grabbed (def sure) and since most oli's will tend to shield grab, fireballs will intruppt it like you said before.
we can throw a pikmin to stop your rocket :3 i think that's the funniest thing in the world
well i think we should agree to disagree and go with 60-40 luigi favor :D

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Luigi's jab clanks with oli's utilt :( Oli's dtilt clanks with nado but that doesn't work well if the luigi doesn't use it stupidly. Luigi's dthrow-> utilt combos work well on oli. Luigi's jab easily interrupts oli's grab. Not a fun matchup :(

po pimpus

Smash Ace
I play a pretty good Olimar semi-regularly, and I can say with certainty that it is probably one of the green man's easier match-ups.

Cyclone rips through Pikmin tossing so easily. Short hopped aerials if DI'd properly make Luigi a ***** to hit. Oli wants to grab, but Weegee won't let him. As has been mentioned, jab to up-b is too good, and Oli is sooo small and light that sub-50% deaths are easily possible.

If Olimar can land some grabs, then he can add a bit of damage, but nair usually breaks up anything beyond two or three hit strings. Up-smash and up-air are good for disrupting Luigi's aerial approach, but if you get predictable, you will get punished very hardcore.

He can edgeguard Green Missile pretty good with Pikmin toss, but a smart Weegee will vary his recovery quite a bit. On the flip side, well, you guys know what will happen if Olimar gets knocked off at or below stage level... Your best bet will be to try and recover high and abuse the super armor of the whistle. Otherwise, I'm jumping out with fairs and bairs to keep you from ever coming back.

Really, camping is going to be Olimar's best bet, but without the proper stage, you're just prolonging the inevitable. Luigi's Mansion(lol), Norfair, Pokemon Stadium 2, and Castle Siege are your friends. Stay away from Smashville, Halberd and Battlefield.

This is a rough one for Olimar and one I don't really think too hard about it. You can win, but 7 out of 10 times you'll probably be giving Luigi the hand-clap at the end.

Excellence

Smash Champion
I think the main reason why this match-up is so difficult is because Luigi can stop most of the ways that Olimar chooses to rack up damage. Tossing Pikmin isn't helpful because Luigi so easily removes them and grab combos are near impossible to pull off with Luigi using NAir to break combo.

When it comes to grab combos, every good Luigi whom I've played has tried to stop me with NAir thinking I'd try FAir or something - which I normally would. However, what I like to do is DThrow > Pivot Grab DThrow > Pivot Grab DThrow and try to condition the Luigi out of the expectation that I'm going to FAir or NAir out of a grab. From what I've seen, it works out very nicely because you keep out of range of Luigi's jab and NAir. The problem is once Luigi starts to catch on and takes steps to avoid it. Usually at a slightly higher percentage, I'll run beneath Luigi and try to pivot that way instead of running away and pivoting. You guys also might want to look into grab release. I think Luigi slides back after grab release like he does when he's hit, so maybe FSmash afterward would work.

Luigi does a good job camping with advancing and retreating DAirs, which pretty much cancel the usage of Pikmin. From what I've experienced, Luigi keeps out of your range with it then lands using Tornado and knocks you into the air. Tornado is surprisingly fast and when used from the right distance it can be a problem to deal with because it does send Olimar up and he is very floaty once in the air. Not only does Luigi's NAir have a lingering hitbox meaning none of our aerials save for UAir can out-prioritize it but it can also KO.

What sometimes gets me is Luigi's jab cancelled grab into UTilts. Which way do you DI that or is there a set percentage you can escape at because of how weird it is? I think that's one of the main things Luigi players do in order to set up for aerial juggling. Anyone have solutions to this?

Another issue I've been having is finding room to get in a KO. Luigi recover's really well and I wouldn't advise anyone dangling the tether trying to gimp him. >_> The Luigi I played camped aerials and fireballs at KO percentages and got me really impatient.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
most of olimar's ground options will be clanked with tornado anyways. But most people can just rise the tornado in your face to fake you out or something. Then is usually followed by with a Nair ;3

usually (as most say), once luigi's get inside, unless you have a good GTFO (which i'm guessing is a ftilt or jab or dtilt lolzzzz or grab) you'll be eating damage every where. I love to SH aerial to airdodge buffer to get quickly get past oli's grab range and get inside for the ****. If he dthrows you at 0%, you'll be eating mucho damage considering luigi's juggle traps are **** and oli's options aren't a no no. If oli aerials after dthrow or is in the air, shield grab or any OOS option takes cares of it, if he airdodges, pivot grab, hyphen smash , rising nair or just bait it and kill him with fsmash, if he whistles, just pivot grab him (IIRC only has super armor frames but otherwise can be grabbed still no? i'm not sure on this tho).

also considering oli's small *** shield, it's really easy to shield poke him and possibly shield pressure him if he's shielding alot lol (big suprise really lolz)

i still think it should be like 55/45 or 50-50 but whenever i play my friend's oli and since i get grabbed 24/7
i take it like its 90-10 in oli's favor lol.

edit :

What sometimes gets me is Luigi's jab cancelled grab into UTilts. Which way do you DI that or is there a set percentage you can escape at because of how weird it is? I think that's one of the main things Luigi players do in order to set up for aerial juggling. Anyone have solutions to this?

Another issue I've been having is finding room to get in a KO. Luigi recover's really well and I wouldn't advise anyone dangling the tether trying to gimp him. >_> The Luigi I played camped aerials and fireballs at KO percentages and got me really impatient.
Are you talking about jab 1 > crouch > Dthrow > utilt? I haven't really done that IIRC it does work at 0% but, Dthrow comes with a million options after landing it, it's just a matter of reading what you'll do, your habits, following DI . Most luigis or myself will read you after a Dthrow, or mostly wait maybe a second or 2 to follow the DI.

In theory, in any direction you DI, luigi just easily pivot grab and reset the situation. It's actually quite a fearsome because, if you DI try to behind him, you'll eat walls of Bairs, if you DI when hes facing you in front, you'll eat upairs, if your above or don't DI at all, upair binds or a pivot dthrow to reset the situation. That's why luigi is so beast in the air, he can reset the situation and force you up in the air until he messes up or you do a GTFO move.

You should try DI-ing away (left wise i believe) from him since you'll be expecting upairs binds so you can just DI away and go for whistle armor. Also you can escape utilt juggles at around 20% or 30% or so.

IMO it's not hard to ko luigi. Usually luigi is the one looking for the ko lol. Just get a purple, make sure hes at a high % and go for that uthrow or dthrow or which ever kills the one vertically (liteally all his throws look the same LMAO

Excellence

Smash Champion
Are you talking about jab 1 > crouch > Dthrow > utilt? I haven't really done that IIRC it does work at 0% but, Dthrow comes with a million options after landing it, it's just a matter of reading what you'll do, your habits, following DI . Most luigis or myself will read you after a Dthrow, or mostly wait maybe a second or 2 to follow the DI.
The single jab, DThrow and UAir/UTilt. I've experienced what you're talking about though, and I guess they'd work the same way. I'll make a note to myself that Luigi is reading my DI when he just sits there and scratches the back of his head.

In theory, in any direction you DI, luigi just easily pivot grab and reset the situation. It's actually quite a fearsome because, if you DI try to behind him, you'll eat walls of Bairs, if you DI when hes facing you in front, you'll eat upairs, if your above or don't DI at all, upair binds or a pivot dthrow to reset the situation. That's why luigi is so beast in the air, he can reset the situation and force you up in the air until he messes up or you do a GTFO move.

You should try DI-ing away (left wise i believe) from him since you'll be expecting upairs binds so you can just DI away and go for whistle armor. Also you can escape utilt juggles at around 20% or 30% or so.
I think that's when we should be looking to punish Luigi. I can usually read his UAir because I know the hitbox pretty well. Whistling through his UAir and trying a Pivot Grab should work except if Olimar's cornered against the ledge or something.

IMO it's not hard to ko luigi. Usually luigi is the one looking for the ko lol. Just get a purple, make sure hes at a high % and go for that uthrow or dthrow or which ever kills the one vertically (liteally all his throws look the same LMAO
Its difficult to grab Luigi. If Luigi doesn't get agressive I really don't think it's going to happen, especially not with Purple. When you grab with a Purple, its a lot easier to begin struggling out of the grab because of how slow it is. I've been FSmash'd while trying to grab with that stupid thing, so I don't think UThrow from Purple is going to work too well. Whenever I KO Luigi it's usually from a BThrow or FSmash near the ledge. Even UThrow with Blue Pikmin would be better than trying with Purple.

It takes a while or someone really experienced with playing Olimar to take precaution in avoiding Purple Tosses. That's usually what I do to get people away. When someone is up close, SH Purple Toss > FAir is very quick and does a good job and knocking folks away but people do start shielding or even clanking Purple with Tornado.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
If your looking for anything, I'd say gimping > Koing with olimar. Luigi doesn't really have much options as said before when he's recovering. And yes don't bother to tether edgehog. Upbs still hit you and autosweetspot the edge, if your not careful tornado can stage spike you.

Olimars should be smart and taking steps at a time when gimping luigi. Be a sniper, pikimin toss to stop green missle, if hes in a range, dair spike him espically when you see the tornado ending lag in the air. If he's recovering high, upb snipe him lol. or if your a good reader like me,alot of them will airdodge towards you and behind and punish from there so you can bait the airdodge since most luigis tend to airdodge and have no real option except tornado stalling. That's why I personally say oli's should be looking for gimps rather than Kos.

The single jab, DThrow and UAir/UTilt. I've experienced what you're talking about though, and I guess they'd work the same way. I'll make a note to myself that Luigi is reading my DI when he just sits there and scratches the back of his head.
Eh luigi's can be standing or walking or crawldashing lol. *completely forgotten to mention crawldashing but it'll get there soon*. but ya just out think him *lolz mindgames* and DI away which should work most of the time.

lol man sometimes i dont get how u guise memorize the colors xDDD

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
****** please. we can do the same thing with a fireball, cept that it has pratically has no hitstun, can be easily blocked and it's uber crap lololl. white pikimin ftw much?

but if this thing is in discussion if you guys still say its 60-40 or 65-35 WHILE I FOR ONE who *****s and complains on how many times I get grab for god knows how many times I get killed cuz of it while I take it as a 35-65 cuz of oli's grab, then lol.

if so then move to stage discussion part of it?

Excellence

Smash Champion
I'm still not even sure what we just did. We didn't make any sort of agreements as to what works against Luigi and what doesn't. All I've gained from this is common knowledge: stay the hell out of the air, spike his Cyclone during it's lag, don't get hit with his ******** fast FSmash, and go for gimps over KOs. I still don't know what to do when boxed in a corner, what moves get Luigi off of Olimar, what type of style I should play (or styles), or how he's going to try and KO me. I think I might just switch to King Dedede and infinity you guys till I'm bored.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I'm still not even sure what we just did. We didn't make any sort of agreements as to what works against Luigi and what doesn't. All I've gained from this is common knowledge: stay the hell out of the air, spike his Cyclone during it's lag, don't get hit with his ******** fast FSmash, and go for gimps over KOs. I still don't know what to do when boxed in a corner, what moves get Luigi off of Olimar, what type of style I should play (or styles), or how he's going to try and KO me. I think I might just switch to King Dedede and infinity you guys till I'm bored.
I think so too LOL. I think you should do that. But if you were to do that to me on wifi or tourney match, i'd say **** this and go mk lulz.

Now that's the weirdest thing between our boards and characters.

Some olimar mains say that, luigi's is one of their hardest matchs while some say (this was back then and maybe a few today), that he's hecka easy.

Some luigi mains say that, he's one of the easiest and that he's recovery is uber (trash lol, well not really, better then Ivysaur's props to that lolol) while some luigi mains say he's a mini D3 much? (I fall into this category since I epixly lose to them horridly).

but anyways, if you want to be serious 60-40 sounds just about right. Olimar just has to play a high defensive game, play gay, look for openings, punish mistakes, definitely gimp more then ko, whistle armor as they hit the ground (seems to be most viable option in getting the ground most quickly) keep it ground game, pivot grab/shield grab him outta tornado and it's pretty much fine.

If you expect a Nair (alot nub happy luigis love a falling nair) just go pivot grab, or gtfo aim for the side with fsmash/bair/fair.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
There isn't much that works against Luigi. I'll elaborate on one portion of the matchup for now. This will be about camping and forcing approaches from either player. I'll talk about the other parts later.

In the beginning of the match, I pluck three pikmin as usual. Then I throw them at luigi until he gets within tornado range and then hopefully he has a little bit damage on him, so he'll have to approach.

Purples deal more damage than the other pikmin when you're camping Luigi because he has no trouble at all getting the other pikmin off with his quick aerials. He'll hit the pikmin either before they latch or just as they latch onto him- dealing no damage to him. The purple pikmin however, he has to intercept them in the air with an aerial and hit it before it hits him. Simply put, it's just a bit harder to hit the purple pikmin than it is to just spam aerials to kill the others.

If you don't get any damage on him in the very beginning before he gets within tornado range, he can just sit outside outside of your range and be patient. If you jump to throw pikmin, he can quickly guide the tornado underneath you before you land. Because of this, you'll have to stay grounded if you want to throw any pikmin. They don't reach very far when they're thrown from the ground though, and it's easy for him to just spam his aerials to knock them away. So that's not a good idea either. This is how he pretty much nulify's Olimar's camping game.

When Luigi gets within tornado range and sits outside of Oli's grab/fsmash range, he can do whatever he wants. Obviously, if he has any damage on him, he'll have to approach Olimar eventually, but he's not forced to make any sort of quick approach because he has no trouble fending off the pikmin. The Olimar player, in this situation, can sit back and wait for Lugi to come at him.

If Luigi doesn't have any damage or has a damage % lead, he can wait and wait. He's not forced to approach because the pikmin camping doesn't do anything if he plays it correctly, and he's got the lead. Olimar is the one who has to approach.

Excellence

Smash Champion
There isn't much that works against Luigi. I'll elaborate on one portion of the matchup for now. This will be about camping and forcing approaches from either player. I'll talk about the other parts later.

In the beginning of the match, I pluck three pikmin as usual. Then I throw them at luigi until he gets within tornado range and then hopefully he has a little bit damage on him, so he'll have to approach.

Purples deal more damage than the other pikmin when you're camping Luigi because he has no trouble at all getting the other pikmin off with his quick aerials. He'll hit the pikmin either before they latch or just as they latch onto him- dealing no damage to him. The purple pikmin however, he has to intercept them in the air with an aerial and hit it before it hits him. Simply put, it's just a bit harder to hit the purple pikmin than it is to just spam aerials to kill the others.

If you don't get any damage on him in the very beginning before he gets within tornado range, he can just sit outside outside of your range and be patient. If you jump to throw pikmin, he can quickly guide the tornado underneath you before you land. Because of this, you'll have to stay grounded if you want to throw any pikmin. They don't reach very far when they're thrown from the ground though, and it's easy for him to just spam his aerials to knock them away. So that's not a good idea either. This is how he pretty much nulify's Olimar's camping game.

When Luigi gets within tornado range and sits outside of Oli's grab/fsmash range, he can do whatever he wants. Obviously, if he has any damage on him, he'll have to approach Olimar eventually, but he's not forced to make any sort of quick approach because he has no trouble fending off the pikmin. The Olimar player, in this situation, can sit back and wait for Lugi to come at him.

If Luigi doesn't have any damage or has a damage % lead, he can wait and wait. He's not forced to approach because the pikmin camping doesn't do anything if he plays it correctly, and he's got the lead. Olimar is the one who has to approach.
How about KOing when a gimp isn't really viable? I've played JBand's Luigi and I can be leading by 100%, but I can never find a point to KO him. If Luigi chooses to camp Green Fire, what can I do? What's the safest way to KO?

I've been using Lylat Cruise's platforms for easier Up Smashes and DSmash through platforms.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
How about KOing when a gimp isn't really viable? I've played JBand's Luigi and I can be leading by 100%, but I can never find a point to KO him. If Luigi chooses to camp Green Fire, what can I do? What's the safest way to KO?

I've been using Lylat Cruise's platforms for easier Up Smashes and DSmash through platforms.
For killing, Olimar doesn't have much against Luigi besides blue backthrow, or an undminished red fair or fsmash which will both kill at around 120-ish. Upsmash doesn't work well unless you're playing on a platform stage like BF or Lylat like you said. You've got to look for an opening- like just after whistling an upair or something, but make sure they're not in a position to nair afterwards. Luigi doesn't have much lag at all, so it's important to capitalize on errors and gimp him whenever possible.

When Luigi camps with the fire, just throw pikmin- whether it be on the ground to make pikmin shields or tossed over the fire to latch and distract Luigi. I've never had a problem with the fire unless I'm playing too defensively and pivotgrabbing too predictably.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
jab should work as a decent gtfo move as well, as it usually works for any one :D
Probably. Just by the looks out of it, Luigi's jab should (dunno about outrange but anyways has dsmash/ftilt as gtfos) outspeed oli's jab. Luigi's jab comes out 2 frames.

Lol i find it funny oli approaching since hes like one of the best campers in the game XD!. Personally i find the match the test of patience. White pikimin can literally rack up damage so quick w/o a player noticing, luigi can keep gtfoing them out and repeat the situation.

Abit more to post later

Walking ftilts/dtilts/jabs should cancel fireball. But since SH fireballs can be AC'd anything can happen, I tend to do SH fireballs (sometimes I THINK oli's to short to get hit so they get under it idk), i follow up with a buffered dsmash which tends to suprirse them

We really need frame data. It would help us out a lot.
I can tell, just like zelda boards kinda inaccurate to none frame data uggghh.. >_>.

For killing, Olimar doesn't have much against Luigi besides blue backthrow, or an undminished red fair or fsmash which will both kill at around 120-ish. Upsmash doesn't work well unless you're playing on a platform stage like BF or Lylat like you said. You've got to look for an opening- like just after whistling an upair or something, but make sure they're not in a position to nair afterwards. Luigi doesn't have much lag at all, so it's important to capitalize on errors and gimp him whenever possible.

When Luigi camps with the fire, just throw pikmin- whether it be on the ground to make pikmin shields or tossed over the fire to latch and distract Luigi. I've never had a problem with the fire unless I'm playing too defensively and pivotgrabbing too predictably.
Eh, luigi's fireball should completely be a problem unless you suck at powershielding, or the luigi is using it like a tactician as he should be doing. It seems like both players will have to captilize on each other's errors, look for openings or will be serverly punished since both are so good at punishing. I find white and purple pikimin the most nauisance. The purple somewhat surprises me alot lol. Maybe i might just suck at psing or it's wifi or it's all together so meh lol.

I think luigi has either advantage or abit close to 55/45 ish on CPs

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
one thing, everyone forgets in this match, if luigi comes from diagonal with nair/fair(like most do) you can up-b them, most learn not to come from air then fighting them on ground is easier, also, your tilts and airials are you main moves, ground smashes aren't used much except for killing really, which is often done by grabs anyway, honestly, thats alll i can say for this matchup, haven't fought any luigis that i really had any specific strategies except super armor to to ground cancel nair to smash alot,

also, you need alot of room in thiks match so i found bf to be bad for this matchupo and fd to be the best stage tbh(besides mansion which is always banned)

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
The two best moves Olimar has against Luigi is Jab and UPB.
As opposed to grabbing and such, I'd switch that for jabs.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
Omg dabuz **** that font. What makes dtilt and ftilt so good against him? It seems like they have too much lag for this matchup. I mean, sure dtilt clanks with nado, but I find that there is hardly an opportunity to even use it in time.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Dtilt pops luigi in the air, and it's just enough space in the air to land a autocancel (frame 3-6 stronghitbox has alot of knockback) Nair. So i wouldn't really do that. Ftilt/jab sounds abit more reasonable. But i think luigi's ftilt outranges and outspeeds (?) his ftilt too lolz.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Who cares if down tilt clanks with his tornado if Luigi can jab before you can do anything afterwards?

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
to think I use luigi and oli, but hardly ever fight my luigi against oli, or oli against luigi, I have only fought this match up twice, one main thing that I couldnt get used to was that luigi nair, can go through a oli upsmash and still keep going long enough to hit olimar, now that I think about can olimar even grab luigi while he is in his tornado. I wish I new more of this match up, why cant we just make a thread for each matchup. Would that not be easier

Excellence

Smash Champion
to think I use luigi and oli, but hardly ever fight my luigi against oli, or oli against luigi, I have only fought this match up twice, one main thing that I couldnt get used to was that luigi nair, can go through a oli upsmash and still keep going long enough to hit olimar, now that I think about can olimar even grab luigi while he is in his tornado. I wish I new more of this match up, why cant we just make a thread for each matchup. Would that not be easier
I think all english in this thread should be kept above an eighth grade level. We're all aware Luigi's Neutral Aerial goes through Olimar's Up Smash and hits him. Yes, you are able to Pivot Grab or Shield Grab Luigi out of his Cyclone. I wouldn't try standing grab because sometimes you'll get him, other times cyclone will hit you, and he may break free as you grab him allowing him to Forward Smash you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom