• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Old Diddy Social/General/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TreK

Is "that guy"
I b reverse a lot. There's a lot to it that noone uses because it's brawl and people are lazy. Learn to love it

What do you mean by it illi ?

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I can't use the C-stick with the pause debugger.

What I mean is like a smash attack vs. tilt in a way, are there "tilt" throws and smash throws or just direction and neutral throws.

And I need to know glide tosses in a bit. Sorry I'm a Diddy noob cause I use puff.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Oh well, i guess if you guys use it then it can be useful. I still don't see how it can be that great if a flip kicks does the same thing.

Player-1

Smash Legend
why not use BOTH monkey flip and Breveral? Considering Diddy has one of the worst horizontal air speeds in the game I'd say it's useful
yeah...I said BOTH use the FLIP AND BREVERAL. What if you don't have the flip? Then what? Just try to land with Diddy's crappy air dodge and hope they mess up a grab or something?

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I can't use the C-stick with the pause debugger.

What I mean is like a smash attack vs. tilt in a way, are there "tilt" throws and smash throws or just direction and neutral throws.

And I need to know glide tosses in a bit. Sorry I'm a Diddy noob cause I use puff.
Diddy has the following throws:

Slow Forward (A/Tilt)
Slow Upward (Tilt)
Slow Downward (Tilt)
Fast Forward (C-Stick or Smash)
Fast Upward (C-Stick or Smash)
Fast Downward (C-Stick or Smash)

All of the above for
Forward Glide Toss (C-Stick or Smash)
Forward Turn-Around Glide Toss (C-Stick or Smash the other way)
Backward Glide Toss (C-Stick or Smash)
Backward Turn-Around Glide Toss (C-Stick or Smash the other way)

And for (I'm not sure these would be any different)
Weak Glide Toss Forward (A/Tilt)
Weak Glide Toss Backward (Tilt)

Then you have
Air Forward
Air Backward
Air Upward
Air Downward
Which I'm not sure if there is a difference between Smashing them or not

Personally, I think it's just going to be the amount of time it takes to do a normal throw + some arbitrary number of frames to do each of the kinds of Glide Tosses for when you do any kind of Glide Toss... But that's just a guess.

Also, I'm saying the Turnaround Glide Tosses are different because some characters' Glide Tosses are longer when they use a Turnaround.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Reverse pop gun cancel shenanigans- It's not gamebreaking, but definitely useful.

Think about when you're being juggled and you're slowly falling TOWARDS your opponent, instead of a flipkick (which has a slow startup, relative to this) in the opposite direction (away from the opponent) you could just b-reverse your popgun cancel, and land outside of your opponent's range.

Among other small things, it has its uses. Learn it to the point where you do it without fail, otherwise you'll see yourself charging a peanut getting ready to eat an attack ;P

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Hey guys :) Ive decided to pick up Diddy as a secondary, since he interests me the most of the high tiers. So Ill hopping in here and there, asking some noob questions, so dont mind me. Any advice for a beginner?

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Hey guys :) Ive decided to pick up Diddy as a secondary, since he interests me the most of the high tiers. So Ill hopping in here and there, asking some noob questions, so dont mind me. Any advice for a beginner?
Read these two threads rather throughly, and they should tell you most (if not all) you need to know to start using Diddy. There's enough in these to keep you preoccupied for a while:
The General Diddy Guide: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=239113
The Diddy Kongpendium: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=236290

After that, watch some videos of ADHD, AZ, Dekar, Ninjalink, etc. to get an idea of general high-level play. The General Diddy Guide is fairly new and is still being updated, so it's not *perfect*; make sure you read both threads all the way through to get a standard idea of what is good and what isn't. Diddy is a hard secondary to pick up; all the tech skill makes him hard to even main properly. If you're up for it, though, have at it! Post any questions you have along the way here, we'll be happy to help out :)

/Diddy welcoming wagon

ChocoNaner

Smash Journeyman
k so, do luigi and kirby make good secondaries? Cuz aside from them, TL and Falco are the only characters I've learned how to play.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Thank you Ingulit, I have actually read the guide a couple times through, at this point I think its just down to practice, practice, practice :p

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
k so, do luigi and kirby make good secondaries? Cuz aside from them, TL and Falco are the only characters I've learned how to play.
Kirby. He helps you cover Kirby (duh), Falco, goes even with Luigi, and rocks it when someone CPs Rainbow Cruise or Brinstar. You've still got a HUGE hole for a Marth to poke through, though.

I tried Falco for a while. He takes care of himself (duh, again) and Luigi, but not much else. Kirby especially will give you trouble with this duo. You can still be counterpicked to almost all the same stages.

Tink might be a good choice if for nothing but his projectile game; I imagine it would complement Diddy's playstyle. Otherwise, he's got almost the same advantages and disadvantages as Diddy. In terms of being a good counterpick to cover Diddy... well, he wouldn't be one.

Luigi might be neat; talk to Luigiplayer about it. He covers Luigi (omg really?!), Olimar, and he's got some evens where Diddy has worse match-ups. Get ***** when Marth comes to town, though.

The problem with all of these picks is Marth; not a single one deals with him well. You would need a pocket MK, Snake, DDD, or DK (??) to help with that. In terms of counter-picking, I'm pretty certain Marth gives us the most trouble overall.

EDIT: Play who you like to play for your secondary and just switch to them if you feel your Diddy isn't up to speed. Diddy CAN survive on his own, but just in case I get in a pinch, I'll pull out a random Wolf that I used to play and sometimes win just because of the surprise factor. I think I'ma play Wolf vs every Wario I play; I HATE playing Diddy vs Wario. Wolf doesn't perform any better than Diddy does, but I like his play style that much more for that match-up that I have a better time with it. Picking a secondary that covers your holes is important, but when you're playing Diddy who has no true counter match-ups, really all you need is someone to do the deed when your Diddy isn't up to par.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Wow, that second link has a ton of information Ingulit, thanks for pointing me in that direction! :)

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Wow, that second link has a ton of information Ingulit, thanks for pointing me in that direction! :)
Heh, anytime.

We should have a secondary discussion thread, and go over like three characters a week and describe how picking them as secondaries would help or hurt Diddy. I think I'm going to make that :)

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Yeah, and you should know dash attack is a very safe move on opponents with tether grabs, it can be grabbed between hit 2 and 3 for non tether opponents though who grab at the normal speed.
That's really good to know O.o

So it's safe on:
Link, Toon Link, Samus, Zamus, Ivysaur, Lucas... Yoshi? Is that a "tether" grab?

I made the secondaries thread :chuckle: I've got nothing better to do now that I'm in college.

TreK

Is "that guy"
If you dash attack a tethered character, most likely they'll catch up on it and pivot grab.
If they're shielding tho, that's great info.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Who do you guys secondary and how has that worked out for you? Do you use your secondary in tournaments very much, if at all?

I secondary Wolf simply because he was my first main, and the only time I ever use him in a tournament is in a match-up I don't know very well where I'm having my *** handed to me as Diddy. I pulled Wolf out once against this Wario main and actually secured a win out of (I think) surprise factor alone <.< It's so funny when you say you're going to CP Smashville and then pick Wolf; they're totally thinking you'll play Diddy again, but no! Haha

DUB

Smash Lord
I've never been able to find a comfortable secondary in Brawl. use to play Snake, tried ICs, and Wario. as of now, I'm keeping Marth as my secondary. he can do something to just about the entire cast. I only use Diddy in teams too. too good

ChocoNaner

Smash Journeyman
I take care of Marf with didds, he isn't a huge problem to me. I'm trying to cover stages really, figured I'd use luigi on picto, frigate, brinstar, and BF. Kirby on RC, japes, delfino, and Norfair. Didds on every other stage.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Marth has proven to be an awesome secondary for diddy ; he does good on all our bad stages and ***** our worst matchups (85-15 on Luigi, 60-40 on Falco and Peach, 55-45 on Wario). I can't use him on wifi and I'd get rusty if I didn't play my seconary at least twice a week, this is the only john for I gave up on him. He's awesome seriously. Plus his playstyle is interesting and his moveset addictive, GAH I hate myself for not playing offline more often D=
I co-main Luigi, which means unless I'm playing one of Luigi's impossible to win matchups (MK, DDD, Marth, GaW), I play both equally often ; this doesn't leave much room for a secondary...

Zelspazz, read the thread's title : the hread you just posted on is our q&a thread too :p

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Do you guys have a Q&A thread?
You're posting in it :) What's up?

EDIT: Guiez, I'm addicted now to finding Banana combos with other characters. It hurts our metagame, but it's sooooo much fun >< What do I do? :(

EDIT 2: Also this is the first time my arm has actually hurt from playing video games. I'm getting fer serious with these combos :O

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Im wondering what, in your opinion, is the best way/character to practice naner tricks and such.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Im wondering what, in your opinion, is the best way/character to practice naner tricks and such.
Hmmmmmmm

Training mode. Practice the timing first on Glide Tosses and get comfortable throwing in all directions sliding both forward and backward. You really, really need that to be muscle memory. Then I'd try throwing Bananas straight up and then trying to Z-Catch or Instant Throw them as they make their way back down so you can figure out the timing. Go for Dribbling next because that'll just improve your tech skill in general; make sure you're comfortable Glide Tossing first. Practice some Dash Attack follow-ups, using D-Tilt while crawling with a Banana (lol that's not really that important except vs Falco), Shield Bouncing if you can get a friend to help throw stuff at you, using RAR'd double B-Airs (you'll use those frequently), timing aerials such that you'll pick Bananas up off the ground both when you're rising and when you're falling, the different ways to QUICKLY grab Bananas you pull with Down-B (you need the time against quick foes) such as using B-Air or doing fancyschmancy tricks like Full Jump > Smash Down-B > Double Jump > Down-B > Z-Catch the first Banana. Go through the Kongpendium and the Advanced Tricks thread and practice what you see. It will take time; I'm still not fluent in Dribbling yet xD

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Ok, (back for more noob questions) I was fighting my friend and he was going to critique my monkey skills ^_^ He said my banana control was getting better, but he also said that when I approach without a nanner, I was really predictable. Since Im not really sure how to approach with Diddy, what would be the best options, to switch it up a bit?

ChocoNaner

Smash Journeyman
Yeah but if they do it and the opponent(s) is(are) close then they already lost control of the naner they just plucked or they get punished AND lose control of the naner. Unless it's Link...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom