• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Old Diddy Social/General/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Like vs. Falco, a Snake would automically damage himself to avoid being chainspiked, but Falco would probably get a lot of free damage if Snake tried to outcamp Falco with nades.
Only a bad snake will blow themselves up. A good snake will just nade camp till he's out of CG range. If the snake is good at camping all he has to do is drop a nade, duck under the lasers, and time the stand up>throw the grenade. And what's the worst that could happen? You get lazered up to 40% and then you fight normal.

Just thought I'd point that out.

ChocoNaner

Smash Journeyman
To be completely honest, I couldn't follow the situation you posed. I'm kinda making a guess at it from here:

As far as the facing the wrong direction thing, you CAN B-Reverse a Popgun Cancel if you're fast enough. Good luck doing that under pressure, though :laugh:

And of course you have to be cautious, but Diddy has more than enough tools to get Bananas back in his control in a short amount of time. Also, if Diddy is about to fall on a Banana (the point of your second paragraph?), you can just Side-B away from it or, better yet, pick it up with an Airdodge or falling N-Air. You can even Airdodge > Glide Toss for a quick retreat. That's what I do, anyway; between these options (and a few more), I rarely if ever trip on a Banana I'm going to land on (if I am, then the opponent is probably too good for me to handle anyway =-=).

I don't know what you said in the last paragraph :x
It's the same situation you were presenting. xP

Couldn't luigi do the exact same thing though, whether it be green missile away or tornado? Instead of Z-catching or catching it with an aerial? And no that wasn't the point, well it was, but I meant you were stripped of every jump and special that could get you out(monkey flip for didds).

Last part of that post was more or less referring to your situation where the luigi player would have to make the decision of taking the aerial that would ko him or take the chance of slipping on the naner and hoping the diddy would mess up.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Lol Luigi discussion, I happen to main both Diddy and Luigi and I have to say, just leave the naners on the ground and use peanuts like hell when appropriate.

Esca

Smash Champion
I'm coming from Luigi. You do not want to use nanners against Luigi. Unless you wanna get destroyed.

Gnes and I talked about it ALOT this weekend.

Ask him about it.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I'm coming from Luigi. You do not want to use nanners against Luigi. Unless you wanna get destroyed.

Gnes and I talked about it ALOT this weekend.

Ask him about it.
nooooooo, I've been destroying Luigi's recently on wifi, and I play BigLou regularly offline well, use to, because he hasn't came to a tourney all summer, but you need to be using bananas just as much as you would any other character.

Esca

Smash Champion
It's not that you don't use bananas at all.

But by no means should you rely on them/use them as much as a regular match.

Try keeping a banana away from a high leveled player.

You'd have to play me to end this. I'm ignorant.

ChocoNaner

Smash Journeyman
That^

Using the fruits to their full extent works differently, case in point, you have to play more diversely against luigi than against anyone else with naners.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
That^

Using the fruits to their full extent works differently, case in point, you have to play more diversely against luigi than against anyone else with naners.
Well... Yes... That's why he's our hardest match-up (one of them, anyway); almost nothing we can usually use against others works on Luigi because he slides. It's not a point to prove; it's just a fact of playing Diddy that Bananas effect Luigi differently.

In other news, dead board is dead.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
I disagree with dribbling only being good against offensive characters.

Dribble is good as a whole unless you're getting projectile spammed, I think..I dribble more than most people and other players tell me it really messes with them, because they never know when I'm going to throw the banana.
But technically, you can throw the banana anytime from a standard run too. If they get all mindgamed by it then use it but it has never really worked in my favor outside of perfectly spacing against long reaching attacks.

Oh, and it's pretty fun to do and it keeps you busy for when "Brawl Syndrome" kicks in.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Against Luigi, I use them (naners) far more for edge guarding than I do in order to get him off of the stage or to rack up damage, or for any other purpose really. Except maybe spacing (dribble, his low horiz. movement speed allows us to do this, and the fact that his tornado will trip over naners allows us to do it without fear ;P)

Esca, whenever I'm in TX you still owe me a $20 MM :)

@banana combos with weegee- god he ***** without them, and when he implements them... ugh. naner > upB is ******** XD

Annoying match up of the year.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Bananas, even if they're not effective on Luigi, are still spacing tools, still allows you to live 10% longer when hit, are still spacing tools, are still a long range punishment weapon, and more importantly, adaptable options. Diddy should never EVER be played nanaless if you intend to win.

Skadorski

// s o n d e r
NNID
Skadorski
I have an idea that might be the best idea in the world or the worst.
Lets say your facing to the right and your opponent is there. If you did a dash dance to the left and to the right IMMEDIATLY, and then Glide toss your banana into the opponent, would they not see it coming since it looked like Diddy was going the other way?
Please try this in a match before you make any conclusions.
Or maybe this is known :dizzy:

Hobs

Smash Journeyman
I think it was Inguilt that answered my question with RBB...

Maybe I misunderstood you or you understood me...?
I know charging makes you go higher. I know you can go left or right.
Does the slowly drifting downwards while charging completely negate the extra boost upwards? Will a charged one get you higher, adding the boost and subtracting the fall?

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I think it was Inguilt that answered my question with RBB...

Maybe I misunderstood you or you understood me...?
I know charging makes you go higher. I know you can go left or right.
Does the slowly drifting downwards while charging completely negate the extra boost upwards? Will a charged one get you higher, adding the boost and subtracting the fall?
Charging it will make you go higher, extra fall or not. Just don't charge it over the blast zones, and you'll be fine.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
I think we should research grab release at the edge. The only thing we have right now is wario. And diddy has a relatively easy time getting a grab at the edge considering the banana lock and his dash grab is kinda mazin.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I think we should research grab release at the edge. The only thing we have right now is wario. And diddy has a relatively easy time getting a grab at the edge considering the banana lock and his dash grab is kinda mazin.
I use GR on Marth because they usually try to jump up and Fair and i just Dsmash immediately and then we have D3 who if you buffer the grab attack then you both go off the edge and you can get a free spike. I also GR anyone who has a bad recovery.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
That's a wonderful idea... I think I just found another way to bring the opponent to the ledge using a Banana Choke, actually (the technique might not work, but it's worth a shot >>). Unfortunately, Ledge Grab Releases alone don't merit their own thread, though...

Perhaps a general Grab Release thread would be good? What to do when x character is Ground Released/Air Released/Air Released at the Edge, etc. I think that'd be useful :)

Also, we NEED Banana Trip frame data. Does anyone already have it or the capacity to get it? It would help wonders with potential Banana Choke combos. Also, we need a compendium of whose Banana Trips will pop them into the air (and over a D-Smash), so we know what to avoid when.

While we're at it, I think a N-Air thread is an order. At least, from the way Le Thein talks about it (where did he go, anyway? <.<).

And we need a new thread for Throws. T1J's thread was good, but it's out of date severely.

Come on, we got **** to do! I'ma dole out jobs, who wants to do what?

EDIT: I posted the combo to over-the-ledge in the Banana Choke thread. Please check it out and tell me if it works or not; if it does, I think it'd be really useful once we get some more Banana Choke setups going.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Would learning how to Wavebounce Popgun Cancel to retreat/avoid attacks in midair be truly useful for me to learn? I'm going through hell trying to get this timing down, and I don't even know if it's worth it. I don't see many of the better Diddys use it, if any.

DUB

Smash Lord
I don't think the momentum boost you get from it is even worth it. It's flashy, looks cool, but I prefer the monkey flip.

Dekar173

Justice Man
It's good for jumping onto the stage from a ledge (sort of how snake mains do it,) and can be followed up by any aerials, or a naner if you've got one in hand :D

Player-1

Smash Legend
why not use BOTH monkey flip and Breveral? Considering Diddy has one of the worst horizontal air speeds in the game I'd say it's useful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom