• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Old Diddy Social/General/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH-BOgXsW5Y

Thats one discovery. Its in the description of the vid so read it. Im busy editing youtube vids now to explain at the moment.
Sorry, NinjaLink, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for in this particular video. I see that the banana striking your opponent right after you D-air spiked him may have altered his trajectory, but you're probably going to have to explain why this is useful to me. =) I ain't hatin', I just don't get it, is all.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
yea thats kinda it. I'm thinking the banana may have altered it. Reason why its useful.......i think it'll screw with the DI of ur opponent. To be honest im unsure of this one since i was goin for the opposite which is banana to spike not spike to banana.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
yea thats kinda it. I'm thinking the banana may have altered it. Reason why its useful.......i think it'll screw with the DI of ur opponent. To be honest im unsure of this one since i was goin for the opposite which is banana to spike not spike to banana.
Okay. You're most certainly correct that it changed the way he fell. Seeing that we all at least play a lot of Diddy Kong, I'm sure you guys have had the experience where you connect with a KO move that you think would have killed someone if it weren't for your **** banana falling on them from the air right after you hit them to decrease their knock-back. It's kind of like when someone knocks you off the stage, only to have the body of another character "break" your fall and keep you from dying - it also slightly alters the direction you travel in. I'm just not sure of how you would be able to consistently manipulate this fact to your advantage is all.

Besides, I'm more curious about the little technique you've developed to make Diddy ungimpable. =) Share share share!

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Yea actually. Im editing the video now. Glad u posted it. OK. THESE ARE THE NEW DIDDY DISCOVERIES.

#1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH-BOgXsW5Y The banana altering the spikes trajectory

#2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkEsHqmUvGU Peanut Gun cancel usages.

#3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eN3Qu7sD1k B-Boosting with Diddys Monkey Flip. He u time the flip just when he slides off he goes very far. Can be used for edgeguarding.

#4 and the one ppl have been waiting for. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkAv5Qq_1dI

I dont have a name yet but will think of one. U'll see me demonstrate what normally happens when diddy hits a wall. Of course its the same as any other character. He bounces off aka wall spike. BUT!!!! When diddy gets hit with his barrels out HE DOESNT BOUNCE OF THE WALL. If done properly U WILL NOT GET STAGE SPIKED WHILE GETTIN HIT.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
I dont have a name yet but will think of one. U'll see me demonstrate what normally happens when diddy hits a wall. Of course its the same as any other character. He bounces off aka wall spike. BUT!!!! When diddy gets hit with his barrels out HE DOESNT BOUNCE OF THE WALL. If done properly U WILL NOT GET STAGE SPIKED WHILE GETTIN HIT.
What exactly is causing you to not collide with the stage and just hug the contours of it instead? It seems like of like Wolf's Illusion hugging the jagged edges of Yoshi's Island. And are you saying that this works for not getting gimped off-stage as well?

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
What exactly is causing you to not collide with the stage and just hug the contours of it instead? It seems like of like Wolf's Illusion hugging the jagged edges of Yoshi's Island. And are you saying that this works for not getting gimped off-stage as well?
The reason it hugs the walls is because im in the barrel state. When ur hit in the barrel state, diddy flies off really weird. U can use this to edgeguard if u kno how to use it properly as well.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
The Peanut gun cancel looks like it has some epic mindgame usages.
And that last video, amazing potential. If we can master it, epic edgeguarding will ensue.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
If u see my diddy dittos with thumbswayup i figured it out randomly. Strangely my hands does what it wants and thats how new technical feats occur >_<

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
Yea actually. Im editing the video now. Glad u posted it. OK. THESE ARE THE NEW DIDDY DISCOVERIES.

#1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH-BOgXsW5Y The banana altering the spikes trajectory

#2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkEsHqmUvGU Peanut Gun cancel usages.

#3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eN3Qu7sD1k B-Boosting with Diddys Monkey Flip. He u time the flip just when he slides off he goes very far. Can be used for edgeguarding.

#4 and the one ppl have been waiting for. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkAv5Qq_1dI

I have been informing ppl about things u can do with peanut gun cancel for the longest. And I already knew about that ungimpable tech that you have no name for. Me and my friends call it "Momentum DI" Any ways it doesnt knock you into the wall because certain moves in this game such as Diddy's Up-B have momentum to it (in melee falcos shine not only hit u up but was one of the only moves that had momentum to it. Momentum is DIFFERENT than DI, and there are more moves in brawl with momentum than melee. Diddys dash attack also has momentum to it as well as a lot of other characters with certain moves, ill post up a new discussion explaining momentum in more detailed as soon as i get off my lazy azz lolz.) Its hard to explain but you can actually add DI with this that make it so you can be edge guarded from under Battlefield and still make it back onto the stage (this works best on FD and Yoshi story, just another reason y i say yoshi story is not a bad stage for Diddy, along MANY MORE reasons). We discovered this in June when playing gay MK's that like to stage shuttle loop spike. Any ways I have been telling ppl that Diddys barrels are extremely good and versatile with a lot of different uses. Now im just trying to figure out how to make the barrells fly off on my own, like without getting hit (solid walls are the only thing I can think of, any suggestions??) Then it will be beastly.

Any ways the banana spike trajectory thing and B-boosting are both new discoveries to me. I'm gonna play around with them when I can. Is it ok if I use ur peanut gun cancel vid and your last un-namable vid for my ADS?? Thanks again Ninjalink for the great finds, and can we officially name the ungimpable tech Momentum DI, or barrel momentum :)

-advent-

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I have been informing people about the peanut gun cancel usage for the longest. And I already knew about that ungimpable tech that you have no name for. Me and my friends call it "Momentum DI" Any ways it doesnt knock you into the wall because certain moves in this game such as Diddy's Up-B have momentum to it (in melee falcos shine was one of the only moves that had momentum to it. Momentum is DIFFERENT than DI, and there are more moves in brawl with momentum than melee. Diddys dash attack also has momentum to it as well as a lot of other characters with certain moves, ill post up a new discussion explaining momentum in more detailed as soon as i get off my lazy azz lolz.) Its hard to explain but you can actually add DI with this that make it so you can be edge guarded from under Battlefield and still make it back onto the stage (this works best on FD and Yoshi story, just another reason y i say yoshi story is not a bad stage for Diddy, along MANY MORE reasons). We discovered this in June when playing gay MK's that like to stage shuttle loop spike. Any ways I have been telling ppl that Diddys barrels are extremely good and versatile with a lot of different uses. Now im just trying to figure out how to make the barrells fly off on my own, like without getting hit (solid walls are the only thing I can think of, any suggestions??) Then it will be beastly.

Any ways the banana spike trajectory thing and B-boosting are both new discoveries to me. I'm gonna play around with them when I can. Thanks again Ninjalink for the great finds, and can we officially name the ungimpable tech Momentum DI, or barrel momentum :)

-advent-
Actually what ur saying is true but isnt fully understood. When ur hit in the barrel state u CANT DI when hit sorry to say. Ur forced into the original trajectory u were original was gonna go. Not sure what u mean by in melee falcos shine when in melee u can smash DI which way u were hit. The reason he doesnt hit the wall is because hes in a weird state while being hit while charging the barrels. Theres no other move that i seen that makes ur character look different while gettin hit because u was using the move.

Anyway to make the barrels fly off on its own is to trip on ur opponents bananas. Thats the only way they can fly without taking damage.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Strangely my hands does what it wants and thats how new technical feats occur >_<
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I have been informing ppl about things u can do with peanut gun cancel for the longest. And I already knew about that ungimpable tech that you have no name for. Me and my friends call it "Momentum DI" Any ways it doesnt knock you into the wall because certain moves in this game such as Diddy's Up-B have momentum to it (in melee falcos shine not only hit u up but was one of the only moves that had momentum to it. Momentum is DIFFERENT than DI, and there are more moves in brawl with momentum than melee. Diddys dash attack also has momentum to it as well as a lot of other characters with certain moves, ill post up a new discussion explaining momentum in more detailed as soon as i get off my lazy azz lolz.) Its hard to explain but you can actually add DI with this that make it so you can be edge guarded from under Battlefield and still make it back onto the stage (this works best on FD and Yoshi story, just another reason y i say yoshi story is not a bad stage for Diddy, along MANY MORE reasons). We discovered this in June when playing gay MK's that like to stage shuttle loop spike. Any ways I have been telling ppl that Diddys barrels are extremely good and versatile with a lot of different uses. Now im just trying to figure out how to make the barrells fly off on my own, like without getting hit (solid walls are the only thing I can think of, any suggestions??) Then it will be beastly.

Any ways the banana spike trajectory thing and B-boosting are both new discoveries to me. I'm gonna play around with them when I can. Is it ok if I use ur peanut gun cancel vid and your last un-namable vid for my ADS?? Thanks again Ninjalink for the great finds, and can we officially name the ungimpable tech Momentum DI, or barrel momentum :)

-advent-
I knew that you were the one first showing us applications of peanut gun cancelling in your written article ;)

But sometimes it's easier to learn with a video.

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
Yo Ninjalink I gotta agree with you now. I think were both right. You can di with that before your sent flying but you cannot di after the hit. You will just go your normal trajectory but instead of slamming into the wall it will just slide you against all solid walls. Yea i know about the whole slipping on an opponents banana with the barrels (learned it from Gano) but some way some how I hope we can figure out another way to do it with taking no or little damage :)

And hey Let Thien if you read my ADS at the bottom I say that I don't really care too much about getting credit. I was just simply saying that I already knew about that and that I thought he had a different tech for making Diddy un-gimpable. That's all. Besides the only type of recognition I really are for is that people think that I'm a pretty good player, that's all really...

Vyse your right, videos are really helpful.

-advent-

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Yo Ninjalink I gotta agree with you now. I think were both right. You can di with that before your sent flying but you cannot di after the hit. You will just go your normal trajectory but instead of slamming into the wall it will just slide you against all solid walls. Yea i know about the whole slipping on an opponents banana with the barrels (learned it from Gano) but some way some how I hope we can figure out another way to do it with taking no or little damage :)
[/COLOR]

-advent-
U cant DI AT ANY TIME BEFORE OR AFTER u get hit.

DUB

Smash Lord
Just a quick question. Who is a character that matches up well against Diddy's weaker match-ups?

mimic_king

Smash Lord
Probably Marth. His range is longer than Falco's, who is Diddy Kong's weaker match-up. A longer range is pretty much a victory over a short range character.

Now for my discussion on Diddy Kong:

Diddy Kong is a very good character. I used to use him a lot, before Meta Knight.

Contrary to popular belief, his banana peel is very useful. If someone is running toward you, you can use it and they will trip. Now here is the trick. You should be able to make them trip multiple times with just one banana peel. They will keep getting up and they will trip again. I do this against other people all the time. If someone does this to you, then recover from the trip opposite the banana peel. Now that you guys know this, you probably won't find this useful, so plant a banana peel behind them too, but make sure that it is in a position where they will trip from recovery.

His up smash isn't very powerful, but his side smash and down smash can send opponents flying at even 70%. His popgun is kind of stupid, but if you hold the shield button in the beginning of it, it will cancel. This is of course called popgun cancel. It works against people that shield often, but still isn't very effective. He has three different spikes: his up b, his side b, and his Dair. his up b only works as a spike from the bottom of the jet blast. If you use his side b, then once it latches on to someone, then press up on the control stick and it will send them straight down. These two spikes are hard to pull off though, so just use his Dair as a spike. His side attacks are pretty strong too.

Overall, Diddy Kong is a good character and I will expect him to probably get high tier.

Neon304

Smash Apprentice
What is the thing called where you up-b while in the air, and the jetpack propels you upward while charging instead of falling, and how do you do it on purpose? I did it on accident twice last night.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
You have to get hit before you up B. Its an Up B glitch. You can't do it without taking any damage. You press up B as soon as you get hit. It's useful against Meteor Smashes only imo.

I still don't understand how you apply the barrel things to not stage spike you. Im sorry if im slow or something >___>

TreK

Is "that guy"
Hmm we all knew about the smash with banana thingy for long, but it's not very useable nor used... i had an idea something like... 30 secs ago... I verified, it's actually possible but i didn't have the time to test it in actual matches (and i've got a f*****g amount of homework to do just after i post this xD).

The idea is to spotdodge or sidestep and during this, press and hold A button to setup the smash w/ nana. You can easily imagine the uses, but I just can't say if it is reliable or not. If someone already do this or tested this, answer me please x)
Ty

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Hmm we all knew about the smash with banana thingy for long, but it's not very useable nor used... i had an idea something like... 30 secs ago... I verified, it's actually possible but i didn't have the time to test it in actual matches (and i've got a f*****g amount of homework to do just after i post this xD).

The idea is to spotdodge or sidestep and during this, press and hold A button to setup the smash w/ nana. You can easily imagine the uses, but I just can't say if it is reliable or not. If someone already do this or tested this, answer me please x)
Ty
I'm pretty sure you can do this. I thought up this way of doing it by myself a while ago and tried it, and it seemed to work, though I could never seem to work it into my play style.

I think AZ uses it though.

Dark Ryu

Smash Ace
Alright so I'm trying to find a different counterpick stage since most people are banning FD when they play against me. (my current counterpick stage) Now any good ideas for one that would be on Diddy's advantage? Also anyone mind telling me what stages they usually counterpick and feel comfortable with?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Alright so I'm trying to find a different counterpick stage since most people are banning FD when they play against me. (my current counterpick stage) Now any good ideas for one that would be on Diddy's advantage? Also anyone mind telling me what stages they usually counterpick and feel comfortable with?
I like Smashville and I feel comfortable on Battlefield.

Hi Diddy Kong users. =D

<_<
Hai :)

infernovia

Smash Ace
So is Battlefield an ungimpable field for diddy?

Because today I tried to edgehog diddy while he up bed, and my invincibility frames allowed me to hold on to the ledge as diddy overshot... and then his rocket barrels spiked me.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Why do you feel comfortable on battlefield?
I dunno. It all depends on your play style I suppose.

I play differently on battlefield. It's not exactly a strong stage for him, but there's little going against Diddy. It's got platforms that can screw up banana combo's, sure, but by Z-catching the bananas, it's not hard to get them back.

So I don't feel like I'm at a disadvantage, but it's not the best counter pick either.

Final Destination and Smashville are your obvious choices. Past that, it's hard to decide what to counter pick.

Corneria is your next best bet.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink

I play differently on battlefield. It's not exactly a strong stage for him, but there's little going against Diddy. It's got platforms that can screw up banana combo's, sure, but by Z-catching the bananas, it's not hard to get them back.

So I don't feel like I'm at a disadvantage, but it's not the best counter pick either.

Final Destination and Smashville are your obvious choices. Past that, it's hard to decide what to counter pick.

Corneria is your next best bet.
pick pokemon stadium and pictochat

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
pick pokemon stadium and pictochat
Listen to NinjaLink, not me lol.

So Pokemon Stadium 1 you reckon?
I generally don't play on PS1 because I'm stubborn and don't like it very much compared to Melee's version. I'll take the time to practice on it now though (And PictoChat).

What stage elements can Diddy Kong abuse more than a wall and uninterrupted flat surfaces?

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Listen to NinjaLink, not me lol.

So Pokemon Stadium 1 you reckon?
I generally don't play on PS1 because I'm stubborn and don't like it very much compared to Melee's version. I'll take the time to practice on it now though (And PictoChat).

What stage elements can Diddy Kong abuse more than a wall and uninterrupted flat surfaces?
the fact that PS1 is the same length as FD........yea. Wallcling mindgames. Frigate is good also.....well i use it. Japes is another.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord

I'm with Vyse on this one. The thing that held my game back for the longest time was because of the preferential treatment I gave to Smashville and Final Destination, and it ended up rendering my banana approaches linear, stale and predictable as a result. It wasn't until I started Z-grabbing bananas off platforms earlier during the summer that I started to open my eyes to newer, simpler banana mix-ups, which include simply jumping or short-hopping and throwing a banana. As I know I've mentioned this elsewhere, but this, combined with a glide-toss upon landing on another banana, really limits your opponents' approach options and consistently yields me free damage.

The reason why this is so great specifically on a stage like Battlefield is because of the relatively short length of the stage. I'm constantly short-hopping and Z-grabbing bananas on this stage, and it's not difficult to administer constant banana pressure and give your opponents little room to breathe.

Anyway, Oklahoma finally got its hands on a VCR, and we recorded almost five hours worth material the other night. We're still in the middle of encoding all that footage, but I will have some decent examples of using platforms to broaden your banana cross-up options soon.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Ran an anime convention tournament today. (Which I didn't compete in).
Completely tuckered out =_=

No diddy's either : (

After the tournament this one guy came in, who looked like he was 30 and really really overweight (No offense to people with weight issues mind you) but was also really really creepy. Like, he was trying to tell everyone how he had beaten the 5th best player in the world (Who is aparently french according to him ... Captain Jack lol?) and a whole lot of other bull**** about how he is aparently good with every character in the game. The clincher was that he said Jigglypuff is only bad because of her final smash.

My blood began to boil, so I played Diddy against his Zelda and 3-stocked him : )

I'm glad he made it in too late to make the tournament. I think he came in expecting to play (He'd bought a controller with him) and act like the big man on campus.

Dark Ryu

Smash Ace
My blood began to boil, so I played Diddy against his Zelda and 3-stocked him : )

I'm glad he made it in too late to make the tournament. I think he came in expecting to play (He'd bought a controller with him) and act like the big man on campus
haha wow, sounds just like the tournament I went to on thursday.
New guy comes to tournament acting like he's amazing, bragging he's played around 400 hours of brawl by himself with comps?>_> (I hate people like this...)
I guess I got so irritated by him, I decided to play him (3 stocked him ) and Only to find out he mains link and doesn't use any air attacks? >_>

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
National tourney tommorow. Finally, gah.
I'll let you guys know how it goes in about 24 hours from now, or more, more like 30+ hours

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Thanks GDX >_<

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5432101#post5432101

13th from 69 Brawl Singles Entrants.
First loss was to a Falco, second was to a Game & Watch x_x

If anybody was interested, Sieg and I got 7th for Doubles, though I didn't use Diddy, (I used Marth) and for Melee singles, I placed 5th with Fox.

I was talking to Kulla, the Metaknight main who came 2nd in singles and he reckons my Diddy is a step above any of the others from his state (New South Wales) in terms of skill. I'm not sure what to make of the only other major state of Aus (Victoria), so I don't know how to place my Diddy in comparison.

I guess the next National tourney will prove it, since I'll be the one travelling.

It was great playing out of staters, especially ones who had little to no experience against a (dare I say) reasonably apt Diddy Kong before (AKA somebody who knows how to glide toss). I have footage of me playing in a crew battle, so I'll get that in here soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom