• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

ngfc_0

Smash Apprentice
hmm yeah, must have been that, thanks :D
Another one of the many uber hard stuff yoshi this game has that is not worth the effort to practice lol

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Wavebouncing isn't that hard to learn though. Get it to work EXACTLY how you want it can be hard though. All you haveto do to wavebounce is instantly push inthe opposite direction of which youre moving right after usig a B move.

ngfc_0

Smash Apprentice
Your explanation for wavebounce is what i think is a B-reversal. That's what I was doing to try to repeate the other thing.

Wavebounce is done by pressing: back -> B -> forward, pretty quickly.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Well, that's if you want to still attack one way while you wavebounce the other, so that would just be a combination of a wavebounce and a b reversal. So really, we're both right.

Also, I apparently suck balls at the snake match up, any tips? I used to have problems with G&W, but I figured that one out and snake suddenly became hard... Not sure why, but yeah.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Well, that's if you want to still attack one way while you wavebounce the other, so that would just be a combination of a wavebounce and a b reversal. So really, we're both right.

Also, I apparently suck balls at the snake match up, any tips? I used to have problems with G&W, but I figured that one out and snake suddenly became hard... Not sure why, but yeah.
No no he's right you just completely have the wording wrong.

Idk haven't played it in forever. Juggle him forever and don't get hit by his 2 mile radius uptilt. Nothing big you got this.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I always get an effing huge lead, and then I just.. I don't know, he ftilts me full stage across FD and I die, then it's just like, ****.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
The worst is when after the first min or so I'm up 40% to 100%, but then we hits me twice and I'm at 80% and die to utilt, then when I try to kill him, he's at 200% and there isn't anything I can do to force the kill, fuuuuuu.

Depster

Smash Champion

There is b-reversal, which is where you turn around and your momentum changes, and there is just the turnaround where your momentum does not change. Doing both so that you move backwards facing forwards is a wavebounce.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Oh, I see, for some reson I always thought if you reversed your momentum with a b move, it was always a wavebounce, regardless of the direction youth or are facing. My bad then.

smokey da bear

Smash Apprentice
ive played this MU many times before and i think what works best against snake is baiting him and faking him out to get a egg lay on him and pressure him to the corners or off the stage to finish him or get some damage on him.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
My main problem from what ive seen is that I need to evade ftilt, that move seems to give me huge spacing problems.

smokey da bear

Smash Apprentice
i either egg lay him before he can ftilt me or i get my grounding back shielding and spacing myself from him until i see a opening that way i make it hard for him to ftilt me

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I see what you mean, that might actually work. I have a tournament this weekend so I'll try it out then, thanks.

smokey da bear

Smash Apprentice
i seem to be having a lot of trouble with DR do you have any tips or do you just get it through time

ngfc_0

Smash Apprentice
Wrap a little piece of plastic bag around your thumb when trying to DR with Y->B->C method (secure with adhesive tape). It's so easier to slide the finger, or atleast is not so hurtfull. The only problem is passed 10 minutes the finger is sweaty.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Which is exactly the reason why I wear gloves (one of them). Gloves are wonderful when trying to keep stuff from happening, aka sweaty hands, cold hands, dirty controller, etc. Took me a while to convert to them, but now I play with them on everytime.

smokey da bear

Smash Apprentice
is there any way to get replays uploaded at a faster rate cause i have a few replays to put up

*solved*

AfRo ToAd

Smash Cadet
NNID
AfRo_ToAd
Any tips on the Yoshi VS Lucario MU??

Its really hard to combo him and most Lucario players love to camp me. My bair to f tilt then utilt etc. combo just doesnt work cuz he counters yoshi @ almost everything hands down..Same for zelda..

So any tips?

Cant DR Lucario for some reason. Just doesnt work xP

Yikarur

Smash Master
what do you mean with "DR Lucario" ?

I have a good solution, learn Dedede and you skipped a loooot of stuff but have still a higher success rate =D

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Actually, we're just starting up that MU discussion now, so give it a couple days to get going and then you should be able to get some good info. Im going to post my input as well, but I dont like to be first to comment in MU discussions that I'm not super knowledgeable in, so I wait for a couple posts before I take a go at it ^___^

Here's the Lucario MU thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=304517

And as for Zelda, really you just have to camp her and force her to approach while evading Din's Fire. Once you get a lead, continue camping and hold the lead best you can until Zelda is forced to approach with her terrible approach game. Dont be that aggressive in this MU, just sit back and let the damage and the kills come, Zelda can be hard on our shield, block most approaches, and kill really well.

And as Yika said, I dont know what you mean by 'DR Lucario'?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Choose stages with little to no Platforms (FD, Smashville, Pokemon Stadium 1/2 etc.) Try and gimp him as fast as possible before he gets his Momentum.
USmash can eat through his Dair sometimes depending how strong his Aura is... You can Shieldgrab him out of his Fsmash (Though I believe for at his Strongest point of Aura, you need to SSDI)

And personally, I like stringing my moves with egglay since that's mostly the reason how i've killed Lucario at 110% max.

Yikarur

Smash Master
we need platforms to kill Lucario, seriously D:

FD is like our worst stage against him (beside of some ridiculous counterpicks if they're allowed)

Aura doesn't matter for dair vs. upsmash, our upsmash just doesn't win.

and you can't shieldgrab his fsmash at all. (not even powershielded)

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I dunno, I did decent against Trela in friendlies. I was able to Shieldgrab his Fsmash
And to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I played another random Wolf player who was picking up Lucario and tried it against him a couple of times during our friendly set from a smashfest two weeks ago.

All I learned is, Camping works against him, though a barely charged Aura Sphere can destroy our eggs. So not sure how FD is our worse when we can just camp him the entire time and hopefully get an Uair/Usmash on him.
Platforms = Possible (Not sure if they have a specific name for it or not) B reverse AD to Fair/Nair or Jab. Possibly just plain Dair'ing us if we're under the platform (And please don't post "Why would you be there while Lucario is above you?) Some players do it, Human Error must be Factored in.

As for the USmash/Dair conversation, can't test it since I don't have 4 arms sadly and it's already close to 5 AM.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I'd have to agree with Yika on this one, I tend to need ledges a lot in this MU. It seems like I have to resort to a lot of Platform/Ledge camping in order to even get anything done. Egg lay is also important, very important, and baiting his aerials and punishing landings when possible is mandatory as it's the only time you can poke at him without eating aura.

Yikarur

Smash Master
I dunno, I did decent against Trela in friendlies. I was able to Shieldgrab his Fsmash
And to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I played another random Wolf player who was picking up Lucario and tried it against him a couple of times during our friendly set from a smashfest two weeks ago.

All I learned is, Camping works against him, though a barely charged Aura Sphere can destroy our eggs. So not sure how FD is our worse when we can just camp him the entire time and hopefully get an Uair/Usmash on him.
Platforms = Possible (Not sure if they have a specific name for it or not) B reverse AD to Fair/Nair or Jab. Possibly just plain Dair'ing us if we're under the platform (And please don't post "Why would you be there while Lucario is above you?) Some players do it, Human Error must be Factored in.

As for the USmash/Dair conversation, can't test it since I don't have 4 arms sadly and it's already close to 5 AM.
fsmash on-shield is without shield stun -23 if it hits with the first hitbox frame. At very high aura (140%+) Lucario does about 7 frames shield stun, you would've to grab perfectly to even get a slightly chance to grab him, fsmash pushes us to far away to grab. Our grab range is extened but so is the time for our grab to reach a decent range. (Yoshis far ranged grab grabs in frame 23 or later)
it's just a human error if they get shield grabbed for it, they could spotdodge on reaction, because they don't expect something like that because getting grabbed out of fsmash against Yoshi is something no one would expect :p

it's very hard to get an upsmash/uair in if you can't really get under him (and even if you're under him he was options to avoid getting hit).
I prefer platforms because you can punish landing lag on platforms (especially on BF).

it's just a pain to kill Lucario if he's playing safe property. I wished Yoshi had a better killmove :(

let's continue here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=304517

AfRo ToAd

Smash Cadet
NNID
AfRo_ToAd
What I do against Lucario is just camp, throw eggs, and go in for the kill ( Every now and then ) I'll catch him with a dair then Egg Lay. Lucario has a hard time KO'ing Yoshi so I dont play TOO hard on him like I would Captin Falcon *My Fav & Easiest MU In the game*

So just Egg lay, throw eggs, Grab, & Smash him out!! I rarley Uair against him since his dair hurts yoshi pretty bad.

And when I said 'DR Lucario' I meant 'DR'ing him' Like.. I use Dragonic Reverse about 6 times in a match & it works...But against Lucario whenever I DR he counters the crap outta me to the point where my DR is useless :(

smokey da bear

Smash Apprentice
i have replays that i want critiqued and helpful vides for the yoshi project but yoshq hasnt uploaded anything for almost 2 weeks. can somebody help me get them out or somethin

Scatz

Smash Champion
If you can upload the replay files, I'll try to upload them for you. Something that helps is also sending the GCT file from the Wii that the match(es) was played on. It'll help in case of desyncs.

smokey da bear

Smash Apprentice

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Watch for zair and juggle her all day

/doesnt play against much samus

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
What should I do/look out for in the Samus matchup?
Zair. Zair can be really annoying. Otherwise, watch your airdodging. Careless air dodging will get you hit by Charge Shot.l

Mainly, you'll want to approach while keeping in mind Zair and her camp pattern. Find a hole in the pattern and rush in. Then juggle her cuz she's floaty as hell.

V

Smash Ace
What's the frame data for yoshi's 2nd jump including super armor?

:phone:

Top Bottom