• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Snake Video Critique Thread!

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
Your nade game is looking really good Attila, but you're not complimenting it with your other readily available explosives.

I suggest placing more c4, we all fear the low percentage gimp with c4 on the stage, but in this particular case you were near center stage for most of it. Think of it this way, wario has to land to jump, and the less places you make safe for him to land, the higher your percentage would be of controlling his movements and punishing him. Specifically speaking for PS1, platforms are always hot spots for c4, but PS1 especially, since there are only 2 platforms. Then place a claymore on the other one or under the c4 to the left or right a bit to cover more ground. Then you cut off a side of the stage from him. Mortar more too, charging, uncharged, of course be smart with both of these things and don't do it when he's within a certain proximity of you.

Also, your DI is amazing in the first match.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
annoyed i didn't survive the second one; you can see the sdi, but apparently you can't go from one side of the attack to the other. pity.

but yes, there wasn't enough other explosives, namely because i think i was getting frantic. when wario is avoiding you completely, and the timer (and waft timer) are ticking, you get a little absorbed, and i kinda lost a little bit of focus.

if you watch the second video, you'll see a hell of a lot more explosive use. but thanks for the advice regardless; ill try and keep my cool.

SeekHeart

Smash Apprentice
nice snake shmot, I don't think I have much to say except maybe try to grab release on warior or MK? I mean I think we should be able to get a bair ko off them if memory serves.

aextreme73

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, for sure attila, your snake is getting more beastly everytime I see it. Wario is a frustrating matchup no doubt, I'd also suggest trying picking up nades while doing aerials, so even if he airdodges them you have some defense when he tries to punish. Something like short nade lob catch with nair or pick up nade from ground bair. Just some suggestions, I'll try to catch the other videos when i have time.

Edit - 22, at a friend's dorm

Attila_

BRoomer
nice snake shmot, I don't think I have much to say except maybe try to grab release on warior or MK? I mean I think we should be able to get a bair ko off them if memory serves.
we do get bair/uair/nair on wario, which i do at high/kill percents, when i manage to get a grab. only grab release to dash attack is legit on mk, which is only worthwhile at kill % (around 150)

Yeah, for sure attila, your snake is getting more beastly everytime I see it. Wario is a frustrating matchup no doubt, I'd also suggest trying picking up nades while doing aerials, so even if he airdodges them you have some defense when he tries to punish. Something like short nade lob catch with nair or pick up nade from ground bair. Just some suggestions, I'll try to catch the other videos when i have time.

Edit - 22, at a friend's dorm
this could be very useful. thanks.

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
You need to play people at your level SeekHeart, unless their is a very drastic change in the skill level in the link's skill from the first vid. It's hard to critique something like that, because you shouldn't be able to outcamp link that hard, if at all. Among many other things wrong with what he was doing.

Attila_

BRoomer
lol

yume - dream
ume - plum

@seek: i can't really see any purpose behind your nade game. typically you should be trying to cut off your opponents options, pressure, or wall, but you kinda seem to just throw them without any strategy behind them. imo this is the hardest and most important thing about using snake. actively think about your nades, particulatrly focussing what the opponent can and can't do with them in certain positions. also, fatal's diddy is terrible lol

also, in answer to your question, i didn't notice any particular di; it all seemed like you didn't try at it. and the mix ups were ok; although i think more aerials would help you out.

SeekHeart

Smash Apprentice
yea when I was playing fatal I was just not thinking lol.... also where'd you go Yume???

SeekHeart

Smash Apprentice
lol

yume - dream
ume - plum

@seek: i can't really see any purpose behind your nade game. typically you should be trying to cut off your opponents options, pressure, or wall, but you kinda seem to just throw them without any strategy behind them. imo this is the hardest and most important thing about using snake. actively think about your nades, particulatrly focussing what the opponent can and can't do with them in certain positions. also, fatal's diddy is terrible lol

also, in answer to your question, i didn't notice any particular di; it all seemed like you didn't try at it. and the mix ups were ok; although i think more aerials would help you out.
Fatal said he wanted to test diddy out so yea... The only time I didn't get massacred was when he went ape xD

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
OMG CALVIN loved the b reversal underneath the stage. I cracked up when Seek ran towards the mine lmao
Haha thanks, I saw someone do it on youtube and was dying to try it out. Sad that I messed up the wargasm though =(

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Watched the first match.

Your biggest weakness is that you stay in your shield too much, thereby letting it get small which means getting shield poked by dancing blade all day.

Your anti juggle isnt that bad, i would like to see less airdodges, he didnt punish you as hard as he could have. Mix in fastfall, b-reverse, occasional bair and footstools.

you missed some easy punishes, first stock when he missed with the fsmash you should just ftilt or grab him (good players will try to sdi ftilt when they're in lag so perhaps grab is better, if he doesnt do that then ftilt). his second stock you had an easy utilt kill when he dolphin slashed, but you rolled away so you couldnt get that. So be more reactive instead of just doing moves.

you run a bit too much sometimes, running is good for covering space, but walking lets you have more option, so walk more for combat.

and dash attack is good for punishing his landings, try to look for opportunities to do so, but dont do it to the point where he can predict it.

also, try to get under marth more when he's in the air, pivot grab is good against some of his options, for others spotdodge/shield the landing attack and see if you can get a punish. utilt can beat a good amount of his options and dtilt lets you avoid fairs and hit him back.

your nade/explosives game could use some work too, they just seemed meh, watch some vids and learn some tricks.

KMFBrawler

Smash Journeyman
I only watched GF s 1st match :p.
Your snake is not bad, i guess. you had some times where your tricked that peach. For the rest, you kinda followed YT protocol if you know what I mean. Don't worry, a lot of snakes do that.

Top Bottom