• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "Should/Will Metaknight be banned?" Thread (LISTEN TO THE SBR PODCAST!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
ban MK. seriously, what happens one character left out from the original full roster? nothing! the game is still great, all teh better players will adjust, and still own, yet the allure of MK not being locked out, will draw in scrubbier/newer players into the smash scene.

more people, more money, more competition, and Less fear of losing, (which is why the not so great players will realize, they're not so great, and hopefully, encourage them to play better)

on a neutral standpoint
Really, You guys really need to make a test run at a Major tourney without MK, to see whether banning is necessary.

Mortimer

Smash Apprentice
Mew2King and teh_spamerer would win regardless of character choice. What part of that don't you understand? Everything else gets won by stuff like Azen's Lucario and Bum's DK.
Are you saying that the Atlantic North has some divisions of player skills? M2K/Teh>>Azen/Bum>>everybody else?

So in other words, your tourney results are completely meaningless because character capabilities don't mean anything compared to player skill?

If you're not saying it, you need to change your tune because that's all I'm getting out of this argument.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
i think terios was missing a few things though...

if you are playing against an MK and just standing still playing defensive, Mk has the 7 options he listed, and more, and even then, he can also mix and match them to his leisure, examples:

8. walk up and f-tilt
9. walk up and d-tilt
10. roll behind to bait a reaction.
11. run and shield.
12. pivotgrab
13. f/d-air to tornado
14. walk and forward smash
15. walk and down smash
16. forward air to down tilt
17. empty hop/SHAD to all 16 of the above.

we seem to be stuck in the idea that MK does stuff that only MK can do. this is not true, MK can do everything any other character can do to approach, and THAN, transition that into things that only he can do.

Terios' responce to criticisms of this sort:

I was SONIC though. I'm fast enough to punish retreated tornados. I assume Aura Sphere could work similarly.

Tilts weren't an issue. I didn't get close enough for him TO tilt. My entire offensive game was punishment. Specifically I was looking for punishment opportunities since I heard Gimpy say once that "people aren't punishing MK's for things they could be punishing them for"

He was retreating fairs. If I thought I couldn't punish I just...didn't go after him.
I was following the "Don't jump into the ****" ideal.

He's not EASY to punish. Given that Sonic excels at punishment it could have just been that. But Lucario isn't without tools to punish certain things. I was sharing views on MK not on the Lucario/ MK matchup. I WISH I could help with that but I don't really play Lucario. I just like the people who do and I'm trying to contribute...somehow.

ProBrawler

Smash Lord
Westchester, NY ; Cornell University in the school
Lol, seriously, Olimar as being better than MK or one of the best in the game? I agree he has potential, some of it untapped, but regardless there's NO way he's better than MK or has an advantage over him. I bet that if I faced someone as Olimar: against their Snake and then MK, that I would do worse against MK. Assuming they have about equal experience with both. And not b/c I don't know the match-up well. Then if I picked MK, who I never play as, I would be twice as successful. Real fun. =D

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
my responce to terios:

yes some people cna punish tornado, but whats the trade off for that, for sonic its basically a free 6% dash attack. thats half of nothing, ive been doing that for months, but you cant follow it up with anything because Mk can hit you back b4 you hit him. so its not worth much seeing as if you mess up somehow, you take 10-15% with a possible followup oppurtunity since Mk has so much more range than sonic in the air.

other than that he basically said that all you have to do is retreating forward air to down tilt to beat sonic, (and other characters as well) all you have to do is wait for them to jump into the ****, and if they dont , you stall out the match and you win anyway...

GG

DADdedede

Smash Cadet
ProBrawler- so true
olimar is good but better than MK?
NO CHARACTER IN THE GAME EVEN HAS AN ADVANTAGE OVER MK!! No way olimar is better than him

XienZo

Smash Lord
Lol, seriously, Olimar as being better than MK or one of the best in the game? I agree he has potential, some of it untapped, but regardless there's NO way he's better than MK or has an advantage over him. I bet that if I faced someone as Olimar: against their Snake and then MK, that I would do worse against MK. Assuming they have about equal experience with both. And not b/c I don't know the match-up well. Then if I picked MK, who I never play as, I would be twice as successful. Real fun. =D
THe main thing that lets Olimar potentially get even, is this relatively new concept of "perfect camping" which M2K believes is almost impossible to beat.

From what I hear, it's basically, "you can't go within hitting distance of Olimar if you're not being comboed"

XienZo

Smash Lord
If this "perfect camping" is impossible to beat, then it would just end up getting banned too. =/
shhhh.... thats why we aren't telling everyone

But perfect camping is countered by a certain robotic buddy and a floating princess of mushroom kingdom. But I won't tell you who they are.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
i think terios was missing a few things though...

if you are playing against an MK and just standing still playing defensive, Mk has the 7 options he listed, and more, and even then, he can also mix and match them to his leisure, examples:

8. walk up and f-tilt
9. walk up and d-tilt
10. roll behind to bait a reaction.
11. run and shield.
12. pivotgrab
13. f/d-air to tornado
14. walk and forward smash
15. walk and down smash
16. forward air to down tilt
17. empty hop/SHAD to all 16 of the above.

we seem to be stuck in the idea that MK does stuff that only MK can do. this is not true, MK can do everything any other character can do to approach, and THAN, transition that into things that only he can do.

Most of those are just varations. What I said was more of a rough skeleton. Furthermore I never said it was a definitive beat MK guide. Just some things I noticed in a match. I haven't had time to build on it yet.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I'd like to start off saying that I actually enjoy debating ShadowLink84.

Are you, incapable of comprehending what I stated.
m2k and spamerer are that good.
Again you ignored the friggin Akuma examle I provided.

The top 3 players remained the top 3 even after Akuma was banned. This did not change the fact Akuma was not ban worthy.
Stop skimming read more.
Akuma is literally broken. He can't be beaten unless you're way better than the other person. This is not the case with MK at all. Banning MK won't create more character diversity at all.

In NJ, for instance, the top two characters at every tournament with M2K and teh_spamerer would change to Dedede and Snake. Nothing else would change.

Again thats nice. Counter the overall data.

i am going to stop arguing with you if you don't provide any substantial evidence.
I can say the same thing for Sonic.
Spam your dash attack. Use your Usmash and side B invincibility frames!
Run away alot. hit and run!

Again thats completely ignoring the capabilities of the character.
DDD does not allow Snake to abuse grenades.
DDD can deal with Snake's Ftilt.
DDD can deal with the dash attack (which isn't really gay)

Again all you are saying do so and so. Do you honestly believe that the opponent is incapable of dealing with such behavior?

This is just baseless arguments.
Pikachu, ROB, Olimar, Wario, DDD ring a bell?
He has a disadvantage against all of those.
He doesn't cripple the majority of the cast because he doesn't go 70/30 against everyone.
most are 60/40 because of his weaknesses.
Snake vs Pikachu:
-Pikachu has no moves that outrange Snake's f-tilt and loses in priority to him almost all the time.
-Pikachu dies at ~90% on neutrals(less if you connect a d-air, n-air, or f-smash), and Snake lives to 120%+ consistently.
-Pikachu's thundershock isn't fast enough or spammable enough to stop Snake from camping. He can dash attack in safely to punish thundershocks.
-Pikachu's d-smash and d-b are generally very hard to punish, but Snake can punish all of that easily with his f-tilt.
-Snake can even destroy Pikachu's recovery options by jumping off and throwing out n-air.

Snake vs ROB:
-ROB is amazing at camping, but Snake can camp back easily by throwing grenades.
-Snake lives an extremely long time against ROB because ROB's ability to kill sucks. Snake living much longer is his biggest advantage, like in most matches.
-ROB doesn't live as long as most heavier characters vertically because he's floaty, so he actually dies early to u-tilt.
-ROB loves outranging everyone with his tilts and spamming sidestep, but Snake's range is amazing and he can just stand there and hold down A to destroy ROB's sidestep abuse.
-When ROB is floating around in the air, he's not hard to n-air with Snake because two of his aerials are really slow. His u-air will lose to Snake's b-air.

Snake vs Olimar:
-Olimar is extremely light. Snake can kill him at low percents without even gimping him due to this.
-Olimar's range on the ground is insane...but so is Snake's, so he can easily compete with Olimar's nonsense.
-Snake can actually punish Olimar's grab with his f-tilt.
-Snake can edgeguard well with b-air because it lasts so long and is huge.
-Olimar loses almost every move exchange because Snake has much more priority.
-Snake can handle Olimar's camping thanks to grenades and his dash attack.

Snake vs Wario:
-Grab release --> n-air/u-tilt. This crushes Wario tremendously because that's 29% and a guaranteed kill move that can hit Wario after a grab.
-Snake can punish Wario's usually very hard to punish d-air and f-air with his f-tilt.
-Snake can outprioritize Wario's d-air and f-air with u-tilt, which shuts down his zoning.
-Wario loves being fat and living forever, but Snake says "nah" by having insane KO power.

Snake vs Dedede:
-Grenades easily stop Dedede from grabbing and CGing. They will blow up and stop Dedede from CGing. All of Dedede's throws have an external hit to them that will cause the grenade to explode.
-Snake's camping is really hard for Dedede to work around because he's slow and huge.
-Snake's f-tilt is two frames faster than Dedede's grab, so if he f-tilts first, he'll always win.
-Dedede is slow in the air, too, making him somewhat easy prey for Snake's n-air, which does massive damage.
-Dedede annoys everyone by living forever. Most characters either do lots of damage but can't kill, like ROB and Sheik, or they have insane kill power but have trouble dealing damage for various reasons, like Ganondorf and DK. Snake is good at BOTH, so that stops Dedede's obesity from annoying Snake.

Overall stuff people really need to understand:
-This is Brawl. Camp harder. Camping is extremely hard to deal with, especially camping with a top tier character like Snake.
-Snake punishes almost every mistake with a huge move that does 21% damage. No other character has a consistent punisher that devasting.
-Snake can score low percent kills with n-air, f-smash, C4, and d-air. D-throw --> tech-chase d-air can kill most characters at ~75% even on larger stages. Most characters can't do something that simple to get a low damage kill.

Snake won't be special anymore, imo, if Meta Knight is banned. I think his biggest plus in the tournament scene is beating Meta Knight. Falco, Olimar, Dedede, and Game and Watch are all better than him without Meta Knight because those characters all lose a counter and Snake loses his most important win.

Dude I've played in tournaments as well, won a few, lost a few.
Thats nice and all but proves nothing if the argument says nothing and when tournament DATA disagrees with you.
Atlantic North data really doesn't. I went through Ankoku's archive dating back to May all the way up until last weekend, and Meta Knight only a few tournaments...and it was just Mew2King and teh_spamerer. Azen won with Lucario and Diddy, ChuDat won with Kirby, NinjaLink won with whatever he felt like using, Bum won with DK, Atomsk won with Dedede and stuff, etc.

M2k is the best palyer. But his arguments are terrible.
Being intelligent means nothing if you cannot actually prove your argument.
I don't think his arguments are terrible at all, but that's because I know him personally and get to hear them in person. It also doesn't help that I almost always agree with him. I'd say it's generally smart to listen to him if he's the best player in the world.

True but it is closer to the correct opinion especially when the data agrees with it.
"Data" also shows that there are very few high level Snakes and Diddys outside of Atlantic North to stop those big bad MKs from winning everywhere else.

inui if you cannot restrain yourself in making snarky remarks then I advise you cease debating.
I'll do both LOL. It's how I feel. I think a lot of you are too angry about losing to random MKs due to not knowing the match-up well enough. I NEVER lost to a bad MK with whatever character I used, including Pit, who is ***** by MK.

you, an Mk/Marth user are talking about Olimar mains not knowing about their character.
I wish dangr are ASB04 was here oh that would be great.
They are realistic.
I don't need to main Olimar to know he's an extremely good character. Mew2King and teh_spamerer agree he's amazing and underrated. Atomsk, who now uses Olimar as one of his tournament mains and has been dabbling in Olimar for a long time, thinks Olimar is the absolute best character. BlackWaltz, an Olimar main from the start that used to think Olimar wasn't that special, now thinks Olimar is extremely good. Plenty of high level players around me all think Olimar is amazing, so pardon me for agreeing with them.

You must be kidding yourself.
Were you not around during April. Everyone was bawing about Snake and guess whatt happened.
The metagame centered around beating Snake and look what happened. Snake fell, it turned out he wasn't too bad.
I think I have results from about 5 tournaments in April that I attended, and I did really well with Pit and Marth. Snake didn't win ANYTHING in NJ, PA, or MD/VA. In fact, I think Snake has taken 1st 0 times in those areas. Whining about Snake never occured.

If the metagame turned into "how do I beat Snake" everywhere else and solutions were found, then do the same with Meta Knight and learn how to win.

tl;dr: You're wrong.

Thats nice and all inui now prove it. all I have heard is camp harder, well explain how they do it. Explain how they bypass the other characters capabilities.

Don't accuse anyone of theory crafting when you do so but at a much worse degree.
At least people who theory craft support the theories, you have yet to do so.
-Olimar's f-b = most versatile and best projectile in the game. Since he use it while moving backwards, forwards, etc. and throw it at an angle, it can go over anyone else's camping and penetrate virtually any defences.
-Olimar's f-b forces characters to pay attention to hitting them off of them and it can dimish some character's good moves because they have few options to get Pikmin off, like Dedede being forced to use u-tilt a lot.
-Olimar's grab is nearly unpunishable and gigantic. Unless you have multiple jumps or extremely fast moves with huge hitboxes (MK and Snake do all right) or some sort of magical one-frame escape (Marth ftw), you can't approach Olimar safely. Wolf has his f-smash and he has a good blaster, so I'll say Wolf does all right.
-Olimar can grab combo EVERYONE at low percent. In fact, he can combo MK to about 40%, which is halfway to death for him because of purples. On fast fallers, it's nearly to death. I've seen BlackWaltz death combo a lot of characters with Olimar.

Basically, Olimar camping with Pikmin and playing defensive to score grabs = nearly unstoppable to the vast majority of the cast. The only way to win is to hope for mistakes and punish them. You have to get Olimar in the air and then guess right.

da K.I.D. said:
woooooooowwww....

this one line of text just completely destroyed 50% of inuis entire argument. Rofl!

now, since you have decided to take the route of disputing what is basically proven fact in that MK is the best character, allow me to do the same...

M2K to my knowledge, hasnt won a tournament with anyone beside MK in something close to five months. with that knowledge, who is to say that right now he is the best player? how do we know that he isnt taking full advantage of a broken character? you say hes the best and that he would win anyway, but how do you really know that? because when the game first came out he played D3? the game and ppls strats against D3 have gotten considerably better since he stopped playing him in tourney. who is to say that he would still win? its possible that he is the best player, but at this point its just as possible that he is the only one that understands exactly how broken Mk really is, and at this point, cant win without him
No, it didn't. The amount of points assigned to MK are based on entry fee and total entrants, as well. Mew2King as won major large tournaments, netting MK a lot of points. That's what I was talking about.

He needed Dedede to win FAST, and that wasn't 5 months ago. He also needed Dedede against Atomsk in August because, *GASP*, Atomsk beat his Meta Knight in the first match and Mew2King was scared of Atomsk switching to Diddy.

I know Mew2King would still win with Dedede and Snake because I've seen it myself. I watched him beat Chillin's MK with Snake 2-0 in tourny, twostock low % both matches. I watched him use Dedede and beat Reflex to win FAST. I watched him beat Atomsk with Dedede. This isn't ancient stuff. It's recent. I play Mew2King and see him often, and he's really good with other characters and basically just as overwhelming.

Stop saying MK is broken. He's not. He can lose.

its just as silly as teh argument that MK is not the best character in this game...
if inuis silly argument is valid than mine is as well
You are certainly are the pinnacle of high level play, perfectly capable of saying that and being correct.

Just like everyone said Sheik was the best and should be banned a long time ago.

Overswarm said:
Didn't you switch FROM snake TO Metaknight? I'm not too sure, but I think you didn't switch to Snake to start doing better. There must... be... some reason....
No. I switched from Marth to Meta Knight. Snake was a frequent teams character as well as my COUNTER for Meta Knights.

I switched not just because Meta Knight is better and I was tired of having 4-5 mains to cover bad matches so much, but because he's significantly more fun than most characters because he doesn't have to camp nearly as much as the rest of the cast. Now I just use Snake to counterpick other MKs due to me hating the ditto and I keep my Dedede around for when I feel like beating characters like Wolf without having to use my brain and for Snakes.

You're right. Those people constantly playing with him are totally in the dark and only enlightened by someone who probably can't visualize what his d-tilt looks like.
I have a lot of Olimar experience, so I know what his d-tilt looks like.

The people constantly playing with him aren't top level players. What Olimars are doing really well when lots of good players are around? If you know any, let me know. I'll listen to them about Olimar if they claim he loses so many matches.

Here we go.

So Snake, according to you, has no bad matches except for very slight counters that he can easily deal with.

You claim Snake does well against Metaknight.

Logically, one would assume as Metaknight's popularity skyrockets, Snake as a main and secondary (at least as an MK counter) would rise as well. There should be a direct correlation between the number of MKs and the number of Snakes, just as there should be an indirect correlation between the number of MKs and the number of ROB players due to MK countering ROB.

Snake's numbers have not increased.

Why is this?

Don't say because people "don't camp hard enough" or because people are "just bad". People want to beat Metaknight and would be trying anything.
I honestly don't know. There actually has been a slight rise in Snakes over here in the past few months. Yes! recently improved drastically and G-regulate established himself as a top Snake. Candy got really good. Chillin also uses Snake a lot. teh_spamerer has been using Snake more.

I can't explain why the number of good Snakes hasn't gone up elsewhere. It's either a lack of understanding about how good Snake really is or an actual lack of skill.

You have no idea who you're talking to, do you? -_-;;

Go watch my set vs. Jiano on youtube from early in the game's life... that's how I ENJOY playing =P
Then how come you have trouble with MKs? Camping with Snake against them is amazing. Have you really tried it and worked on it?

Plairnkk said:
News flash, MK doesn't make you lose. You being a less talented player makes you lose.
QFT

Btw, I did get 1st with two other players I'd consider top players there, and I could have gotten 1st with Atomsk there, even. I've taken two sets from him recently.

The Halloween Captain said:
Olimar and Snake actually strike me as better characters than MK. I don't quite get whats holding them back.
Bless your heart, good sir!

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
WTF, dude... you know how easy it is to SDI out of Snake's nair? That's pretty silly to assume the Wario can't/won't do that. Wario's DI lets him escape punishment from nairs and ftilts and anything mutil-hit (or hell, he can downair and then bite or grab) and only a ******** Wario will jump into utilts repeatedly. You also know how easy it is to shield first ftilt hit, spotdodge second and then Fsmash through whatever he tries? Very easy.

The earliest I die to Snake's is usually in the 120s, and that's if they grab me, I can kill them just as early either via gimping him or with a fart/fresh fsmash. Not ot mention Snake is combo bait for Wario. Seriously, stop making comments about characters that you obviously have no idea about.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
News flash, MK doesn't make you lose. You being a less talented player makes you lose.
Are you basically saying Tiers don't exist? And that match up discussions don't exist?
Because I mean, an MK could be a less talented player than me by a bit but would still beat me because I play sonic and I kinda have an 80-20 match up against me... Yeah... :(

Great post phantom, proof to discredit his argument about wario. :D

Inui

Banned via Warnings
WTF, dude... you know how easy it is to SDI out of Snake's nair? That's pretty silly to assume the Wario can't/won't do that. Wario's DI lets him escape punishment from nairs and ftilts and anything mutil-hit (or hell, he can downair and then bite or grab) and only a ******** Wario will jump into utilts repeatedly. You also know how easy it is to shield first ftilt hit, spotdodge second and then Fsmash through whatever he tries? Very easy.

The earliest I die to Snake's is usually in the 120s, and that's if they grab me, I can kill them just as early either via gimping him or with a fart/fresh fsmash. Not ot mention Snake is combo bait for Wario. Seriously, stop making comments about characters that you obviously have no idea about.
So? You still take half the damage, sometimes more. Half of 29% is a decent amount of damage.

The u-tilt is a guaranteed kill at ~120%. Wario doesn't have anything like that on Snake. He has to work around Snake's huge moves and grenade camping and do guesswork. Snake just has to grab to get a kill half the time.

A good Snake usually won't f-tilt twice if the first hit is shielded, so the whole sidestep and f-smash thing won't work much against good Snakes.

Can you explain how Wario gets around Snake's grenade camping and priority/move size?

Because I mean, an MK could be a less talented player than me by a bit but would still beat me because I play sonic and I kinda have an 80-20 match up against me... Yeah...
Ask Malcom and Blue if they think it's 80/20. I'm pretty sure they'll say something like 60/40 at this point.

Veng

Smash Ace
Okay I took a step back and instead of looking at it from my characters point of view over the past couple of months.

I realize I use a lot of characters, I am going to have fun and have fun winning if I do as well. But the thing is, now that I look at it, banning Meta Knight is definitely not the right thing, although his Meta Game is much further ahead and has no counters, that is a bad thing.

You want the game to have balance, not meaning Captain Falcon and Meta Knight are going to be on the same level of play, but that Captain Falcon would be a counter to MK, MK would be a counter to Ness and Ness would be a counter to Captain Falcon. So its not like one person is winning rather, but hte person with the sill is winning.

It really makes sense to me now, but I dont know how we can catch up other characters in the Meta game, which takes me back to think, maybe he should be banned. I definitely think we need to wait a bit longer and maybe add some temp bans or soft bans to MK at the moment.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
So who is the next best character then? I see a lot of people toss out names of characters that will dominate in MK's absence. I hear people state that the game would be no better off. So who would take MK's spot then? Can you definitively say Snake will? How about Marth, he has no weaknesses right? What about DDD he destroys the rest of the cast? GW he is a bit like MK? Falco with his chaingrab and Lasers? Olimar with his amazing c stick power and pikmin toss? So who comes out on top?

Veng

Smash Ace
Are you basically saying Tiers don't exist? And that match up discussions don't exist?
Because I mean, an MK could be a less talented player than me by a bit but would still beat me because I play sonic and I kinda have an 80-20 match up against me... Yeah... :(

Great post phantom, proof to discredit his argument about wario. :D
I played MK once and lost to a CF.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
THe main thing that lets Olimar potentially get even, is this relatively new concept of "perfect camping" which M2K believes is almost impossible to beat.

From what I hear, it's basically, "you can't go within hitting distance of Olimar if you're not being comboed"
As a Peach main, may I state that I fully support more people playing Olimar? :laugh:

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Grenade camping is gotten around with patience... seriously. They can roll and drop nades as much as they want, I'll gladly wait. Wario's bait game is also tremendous. Most of the time people will think you're in their range, and then you DI away and do whatever you need to. Also, simple grenade dropping is easy to get around, b/c B-Throw is fast. They roll or shield, I go in for a quick grab > b or up throw [which sets them up for juggling]. If they don't commit to the second hit, you grab them. 15% from a nair is also not a big deal, that's the same as an upair or fsmash from Wario.

Wario also has an airdodge that lasts almost as long as most rolls (w/ respect to invincibility) so abusing that also makes it great to approach Snake.

Lastly, grabbing a good Wario with non-d3 charas is quite possibly one of the hardest things to do consistently in the game.

Veng

Smash Ace
So who is the next best character then? I see a lot of people toss out names of characters that will dominate in MK's absence. I hear people state that the game would be no better off. So who would take MK's spot then? Can you definitively say Snake will? How about Marth, he has no weaknesses right? What about DDD he destroys the rest of the cast? GW he is a bit like MK? Falco with his chaingrab and Lasers? Olimar with his amazing c stick power and pikmin toss? So who comes out on top?
To be 100% honest, Marth does.

Marth is only high tier because MK bangs him hard ( lul ).

The list would look completely different.

And in no way is olimar cheap.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
That's what's great. Melee had Fox on top, but you could do just as well or even better in tournaments with other characters.

Who'd be on top post MK? G&W has the most advantaged matchups of anyone in the game. Marth has the least disadvantaged matchups of anyone in the game. Snake has quite a few counters, but he can take out G&W and Marth...

Veng

Smash Ace
As a Peach main, may I state that I fully support more people playing Olimar? :laugh:
Hahaha, Peach pummels Olimar, its like an 80/20 right?

I know some Peach and shes a pretty cool character.

I can say my favourite thing with her is turnip throw fair ( regrabs turnip ) AND the fair makes contact, repeat.

Wow its a beautiful sight.

Veng

Smash Ace
That's what's great. Melee had Fox on top, but you could do just as well or even better in tournaments with other characters.

Who'd be on top post MK? G&W has the most advantaged matchups of anyone in the game. Marth has the least disadvantaged matchups of anyone in the game. Snake has quite a few counters, but he can take out G&W and Marth...
Hence the reason the game is currently 'balanced'.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
To be 100% honest, Marth does.

Marth is only high tier because MK bangs him hard ( lul ).

The list would look completely different.

And in no way is olimar cheap.
Emblem Lord seems to have noticed a few things about Marth. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=183759
Certainly Marth has more against him than just being lightweight.

Olimar is not cheap. According to the olimar matchup thread made by Dangr, who is a pretty knowledge player, Olimar gets beat by Yoshi, Rob, Peah, Kirby, and Marth. He goes about Even with Falco and Pikachu and a few others. I fail to see how Olimar could be the best character in the game with those matchups.

So far no one has really definitively come in and stated who would take over. Just a lot of names tossed around with some slight reasoning behind them. Then again you could make a case for any of the top tier characters really.

ProBrawler

Smash Lord
Westchester, NY ; Cornell University in the school
1. Why the heck are we getting into Peach, lol.
2. If MK were to be banned, no character would dominate. THAT'S WHY WE WANT HIM BANNED IN THE FIRST PLACE. Plus, not having MK opens the doors to other characters since more people will play a greater variety of characters and it may also remove a debilitating weakness of others.
3. JUST BAN HIM ALREADY SO WE CAN ALL BE HAPPY AND GET ON WITH OUR LIVES. That's right, not maining MK will lift your spirits.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Grenade camping is gotten around with patience... seriously. They can roll and drop nades as much as they want, I'll gladly wait. Wario's bait game is also tremendous. Most of the time people will think you're in their range, and then you DI away and do whatever you need to. Also, simple grenade dropping is easy to get around, b/c B-Throw is fast. They roll or shield, I go in for a quick grab > b or up throw [which sets them up for juggling]. If they don't commit to the second hit, you grab them. 15% from a nair is also not a big deal, that's the same as an upair or fsmash from Wario.

Wario also has an airdodge that lasts almost as long as most rolls (w/ respect to invincibility) so abusing that also makes it great to approach Snake.
It sounds like you really know the match.

You think that stuff gives Wario an actual advantage? Keep in mind that Snake's potential damage > Wario's, and Snake's potential kill percent advantage is pretty big. Snake has nonsense like d-throw --> tech-chase d-air that does ~35% damage and can kill. Wario doesn't have that level of nonsense.

Lastly, grabbing a good Wario with non-d3 charas is quite possibly one of the hardest things to do consistently in the game.
I think it's hard to grab Wario, but Snake's grab is pretty good. I grabbed Reflex with Marth enough when I played him.

Wow @ how uncampy those Olimars must be. Peach's float is owned by f-b and her d-air loses to u-smash.

I fail to see how Olimar could be the best character in the game with those matchups.
Olimars besides Atomsk need to step their game up. You'd see then.

Veng

Smash Ace
Pro brawler, how are you part of that director group?

You make no sense.

1. Peach owns, get it?

2. Yes another character would dominate, the reason we want to ban MK is for matchups, if you ban one character on top of it all, its gonna completely change every matchup. For the characters who ABSOLUTELY FAIL against MK. Take a tower of blocks, MK is on the bottom supporting all the rest of the characters, you pull him out the rest of them shift around. ( aka collapse )

3. I agree

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Why is allowing garbage characters to be used a valid reason for the ban? This is competitive gaming. Garbage usually characters don't get to win. MK not existing won't let low tiers win, anyways. Dedede, Snake, etc. still negate them to nothingness. Not allowed MK will let...Marth be amazing and bottom tier characters somtimes place one spot higher.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
80/20 on aggressive Olimars. A campy Olimar will do much better, but it's still horribly skewed in Peach's favor. I think the Olimar boards put it at 70/30.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
80/20 on aggressive Olimars. A campy Olimar will do much better, but it's still horribly skewed in Peach's favor. I think the Olimar boards put it at 70/30.
How can it be that terrible when Peach sucks at approaching and Olimar's camping with f-b is so good? If she floats, she gets stuck with Pikmin. If she abuses her d-air stuff, it loses to both u-smash and u-b. What does she do?

Snakeee

Smash Master
1. Why the heck are we getting into Peach, lol.
2. If MK were to be banned, no character would dominate. THAT'S WHY WE WANT HIM BANNED IN THE FIRST PLACE. Plus, not having MK opens the doors to other characters since more people will play a greater variety of characters and it may also remove a debilitating weakness of others.
3. JUST BAN HIM ALREADY SO WE CAN ALL BE HAPPY AND GET ON WITH OUR LIVES. That's right, not maining MK will lift your spirits.
I can fight Metaknight pretty well with Sheik/Zelda. Practice the match up, and you'll see they can fight him decently. (well with only using Zelda for kills at least)

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Snakeee, can you do the grab release boost smash with Sheik? That DESTROYS Meta Knight on FD. It makes Sheik his worst match easily on that stage LOL.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
It sounds like you really know the match.

You think that stuff gives Wario an actual advantage? Keep in mind that Snake's potential damage > Wario's, and Snake's potential kill percent advantage is pretty big. Snake has nonsense like d-throw --> tech-chase d-air that does ~35% damage and can kill. Wario doesn't have that level of nonsense.

I think it's hard to grab Wario, but Snake's grab is pretty good. I grabbed Reflex with Marth enough when I played him.

Wow @ how uncampy those Olimars must be. Peach's float is owned by f-b and her d-air loses to u-smash.

Olimars besides Atomsk need to step their game up. You'd see then.
I personally think Wario used to have an advantage, but with the grab release being an ever-present threat, I'd probably say even or very slight advantage either way (I'm biased in Wario's favor 55:45 ish b/c of the threat of gimps, which are very easy to set up with a throw near the edge and a fair or two). You can also SDI Snake's dair (though it's always been a bit harder for me than Snake's nair, for whatever reason). And Wario has that nonsense on Snake (and many heavies). At low percents Dair > dair > upair is a true combo that deals around 47% (or you can do dair > bite > DAC upsmash for a bit less).

I know his grab is good, but unless he tricks the player into it, or the Wario messes up, it's hard to land. Hell, it's hard for even d3s to grab evasive Warios :p Marth has the advantage of superior ground speed.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
How can it be that terrible when Peach sucks at approaching and Olimar's camping with f-b is so good? If she floats, she gets stuck with Pikmin. If she abuses her d-air stuff, it loses to both u-smash and u-b. What does she do?
Peach shouldn't be floating as her only approach method from a distance. It's safer to approach campers in shield and jump into a float as you get near (maybe a bit further for Olimar's grab game). If Peach is spacing well and not getting predictable, Usmash should not be hitting. Peach's dair has a hitbox in front of her that'll interrupt Olimar's Usmash if he's not perfect, and if Peach simpy backs up a tiny bit it should hit even if he's perfect.

Peach also has a ton of ways to deal with Pikmin- forward-B destroys all of the ones attached to her as well as releasing a hurtbox that'll hit Olimar if he's near, Dair will damage the Pikmin, and the toad will be activated by the Pikmin and can be used as an attack.

Against a really, really good camper I think the matchup might become only a slight disadvantage, potentially, but there's no way it drops to Olimar's favor.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Hey guys, before posting

My God, Peach vs. Oli would be great in either of those respective boards, NOT THE MK BAN DISCUSSION THREAD. I'm not mini modding, I'm just so ****ing tired of this this ****, which really is nothing more than spam.

Can we please oh dear God keep this discussion about Mk, and why he should be banned. Could it possibly be that hard? It's like asking someone to not play baseball in the neighbor's yard when a baseball field is right ****ing next to their yard.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Peach shouldn't be floating as her only approach method from a distance. It's safer to approach campers in shield and jump into a float as you get near (maybe a bit further for Olimar's grab game). If Peach is spacing well and not getting predictable, Usmash should not be hitting. Peach's dair has a hitbox in front of her that'll interrupt Olimar's Usmash if he's not perfect, and if Peach simpy backs up a tiny bit it should hit even if he's perfect.
U-b will still hit.

How does Peach apporach, exactly? You still didn't really explain it. If she goes in the air, she gets Pikmin thrown on her as Olimar jumps away. If she floats near him, she risks u-smash hitting her and she can't really avoid u-b. If she approaches on the ground, she gets grabbed like everyone else that doesn't have a gigantic and fast move.

Peach also has a ton of ways to deal with Pikmin- forward-B destroys all of the ones attached to her as well as releasing a hurtbox that'll hit Olimar if he's near, Dair will damage the Pikmin, and the toad will be activated by the Pikmin and can be used as an attack.
Hey, that's cool. She has decent options against the Pikmin and one that can turn into a psuedo approach. I still don't see how she can attack and approach Olimar, which is the key to winning, making me see the match as Olimar's advantage.

I personally think Wario used to have an advantage, but with the grab release being an ever-present threat, I'd probably say even or very slight advantage either way (I'm biased in Wario's favor 55:45 ish b/c of the threat of gimps, which are very easy to set up with a throw near the edge and a fair or two). You can also SDI Snake's dair (though it's always been a bit harder for me than Snake's nair, for whatever reason). And Wario has that nonsense on Snake (and many heavies). At low percents Dair > dair > upair is a true combo that deals around 47% (or you can do dair > bite > DAC upsmash for a bit less).
I'm pretty sure you can't smash DI out of the d-air if it gets you on the ground. What makes Snake's nonsense gayer is that it KILLS you. Wario's combo that ends in u-air works at 0% or really low percents and that's it. Snake's nonsense works all the time if you predict right.

I know his grab is good, but unless he tricks the player into it, or the Wario messes up, it's hard to land. Hell, it's hard for even d3s to grab evasive Warios :p Marth has the advantage of superior ground speed.
A good Snake can trick a good Wario, and vice versa. Snake never grabbing Wario isn't going to happen. When Snake does get a grab, it's going to result in grab release nonsense or a d-throw to a tech-chase. Being in Snake's oki SUCKS. I think he has the best oki in the game.

My God, Peach vs. Oli would be great in either of those respective boards, NOT THE MK BAN DISCUSSION THREAD. I'm not mini modding, I'm just so ****ing tired of this this ****, which really is nothing more than spam.

Can we please oh dear God keep this discussion about Mk, and why he should be banned. Could it possibly be that hard? It's like asking someone to not play baseball in the neighbor's yard when a baseball field is right ****ing next to their yard.
Nah. I'm actually saying Snake and Olimar are potentially better than MK, and going over their match-ups is obviously relevant in that discussion. If I can get people to see that Snake and Olimar are on the same level of GAY that MK is, people will rethink their positions on the MK ban situation.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
You forget that Wario only needs to get Snake to about 70 every minute and something to kill him :p That's pretty sick too, when you think about it XD Nothing sweeter than SDIing out of nairs into farts. Personally, I'll gladly kill time if the Snake tries to be lame w/ grabbing for more Waft opportunities. I'll double check on the dair after techchase. You SHOULD be able to SDI out of any multi-hit move that slow no problem XD

Well, the point is, under most circumstances they go pretty even. Both have counterpicks that benefit one more than the other, as well which evens it up some more. You can check out the old Futile/DSF rivalry for top of WC couple months back. There was a point in time when DSF just gave up trying to win w/ Snake and picked up D3.

Smash Master
They can be hard countered. MK can't be soft countered. Maybe barely, but even that's debatable. Come on. It's not like we're saying OMG Snake has a 90-10 on Falcon he must be banned. It's the counterpick system. MK breaks it. Noone else breaks it. That's bad. Melee was different because 4 characters didn't have bad matchups. I'm fine with having four characters in a meta. If we banned those four, a lot of other characters would be played, but four is good enough given that banning is generally undesirable.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
More people really need to get awesome with Snake and turn on the CAMP to full power. People would stop saying MK has no counters. :(

Pitch a tent. I mean...a HUGE tent. Ringling Bros. ****. That big.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom