• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official SBR Brawl Tier List v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Someone needs to explain to me 3 things.

1. Why is DeDeDe high tier?
2. Why is Game and Watch high tier?
3. Why is Ness lower tier than Lucas?
1. CGs, Superb edgeguarding. Bair is sick. Ummm... does he HAVE any other moves? XD

2. His hitboxes have CRAZY priority. He only does the basics. But he does them EXTREMELY well. Turtle is a killer. Recovery is actually fairly safe despite being able to be Cyphergimped.
3. Iono. I assume it's because Lucas actually has a pretty sick Tech Chase game IMO. However most Lucas' don't seem to do that so..... your guess is as good as mine. Stick is awesome too. Like 10 times as awesome as the bat. Tru fax

Ravin

Smash Lord
D3 only problem is hes on a diet. But due to too many dreamland raids for food, he is horribly overweight. He needs to run more like Kirby does, over VAST playing areas. Im sure if Kirby didnt run that much, all that eating hed look like a stunning clone of D3.

Truths.

M.K

Level 55
1. CGs, Superb edgeguarding. Bair is sick. Ummm... does he HAVE any other moves? XD

2. His hitboxes have CRAZY priority. He only does the basics. But he does them EXTREMELY well. Turtle is a killer. Recovery is actually fairly safe despite being able to be Cyphergimped.
3. Iono. I assume it's because Lucas actually has a pretty sick Tech Chase game IMO. However most Lucas' don't seem to do that so..... your guess is as good as mine. Stick is awesome too. Like 10 times as awesome as the bat. Tru fax
1. Agreed.

2. Agreed.

3. Ness is below Lucas because the SBR didn't include them in the first list, and hurrily added them in. Do not take their current positions for granted, because they are incredibly, incredibly inaccurate.
Basically, anything below Toon Link is really inaccurate.

Advance

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlmaVulpix
3DS FC
0877-0828-1646

To number three I say,

It's because people find it so much easier to use Lucas than Ness. Naturally, easier play controls that can be used cheaper than Ness's is going to be more efficient. I do believe that Ness is better than Lucas anyhow, just takes more to master.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
i just found out that sakurai did the voice of dedede in brawl.
now i don't hate him. lmao

you guys agree with me that dedede is the most adorable villain ever, right?

that's why he's so high on the tierlist

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
He's not even the most adorable villain in the Kirby universe. That's a draw between Sailor Waddle Dee and unmasked Meta Knight.

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman

1. HAve you playing lvl 9 CPU DDD's? Go to a tournament and you'll see Ddd is one of the best characters in this game, and by what the SBR has said and what has been happenin in the metagame, he is top not high tier.
2. Again have you not been in the competitve brawl scene? G&W aerials create an amazing pressure game as well as smashes that kill and unspeakably low %'s compared to the rest of he characters in the game.
3. Infinite grab maybe? If you play a marth and ur ness at a tourney, you maybe well see why ness makes very little appearances in the brawl metagame.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Marth doesn't have an infinite grab on Ness anymore. Although I guess to be fair, he did when the list came out. *Shrug*

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Sorry to bring this back up

*Sigh* Why can't people just leave my arguments to myself?

Well... Define "High". There's not really alot of characters placing "High" these days

Fair enough.

He also has some of the worst approaches in the game (Cyclone is decent, but once you know how to deal with it, it's easily punishable), his traction is a double edge sword, and his UpB is very punishable if whiffed. His recovery seems to be overjustified. It has great distance, but at times, you can't really defend yourself when recovering.

Unless he's playing those characters with a s***load of range our disjointed hitboxes, dair to nair is a **** good approach. dair to cyclone, or even just a straight bair WoP are all good approaches. I don't think you realize how good his priority is. "his UpB is very punishable if whiffed", actually jab to up b is unescapable by a certain number of characters and if you catch a character in the air with a jab, then the fire punch is guaranteed. His recovery is always defensable with a nair unless your playing MK or Marth. Also his shield traction isn't a problem if you know how to powershield.........it's great try it sometime.

Poor Shield =/= Poor Defence. DK also has one of the worst shields in the game, but is his defence bad? No, and neither is Yoshi. His physical defence is enough to cover the flaws of his shield.

How does this make any sense? Pretty much what you said here was:

Tier List = Potential > Tournament Results
Potential = Tournament Results

Therefore Tier List = Tournament Results?

Makes no sense to me. Plus your saying that an highly recognizable pro who has been playing the game since Melee times is using Luigi, that automatically proves his Potential? Isn't that an unfair comparison? That's pretty much like saying "Ha Ha! We have Boss and you don't you suck lololololololoooooolllllol".

Well they also had Void in the beginning stages of the summer.

And if you aren't reading my arguments all the way through and just ASSUMING that you are the one that is being biased. Plus was Luigi sought to be nerfed to hell? Was Luigi Complex? Was Luigi considered the worst by most?

What does this have to do with anything? Yoshi was obviously considered the worst for a long time for a reason. This is just like if CF mains came in here and complained about the same thing.

His shield is horrible, I can't deny it. However that doesn't mean his Defence is horrible. Also, a good benefit though is that his shield slides alot (Almost as much as Luigi's, no joke, so he usually gets out of harms way fast. Can't counter with it, but it does it's primary job as a shield.... I guess.

So his shield is horrible and a lot of Brawls metagame revolves around OoS punishment.......nice.

If you think a 40:60 is "Destroyed", then sure. Also Yoshi has Zero Deaths against both Snake and Falco (Snake is harder to pull off, and Falco is still under heavy debate), and ROB might actually be Neutral(ish). Also how is Yoshi vs. MetaKnight Laughable?

Top MK players laugh whenever they hear the whole Yoshi vs. MK crap. I really don't want to get into that right now because i'm sure it's been debated for months and Yoshi mains are stuck on it.

And if you were comparing Yoshi to Luigi, Luigi does even WORSE against the Higher Tiers! So Yoshi should remain Low Tier because his Matchups against the High Tiers are "Terrible", but Luigi should rise up to High Tier when his Matchups are WORSE! Your Logic astounds me.

When did I say Luigi should rise to high tier? Please don't put words in my mouth.

PKNintendo

Smash Master

Hizzlum, your post was full of fail. You see PLENTY of DK mains, while D3 infinite (discovered a month after Ness', but never advertised) still enter tournaments.
And it was a CHAIN GRAB. I hate how so many users are SO uninformed.

1 and 2 are easy.

3: I don't know. SBR always makes fun of Lucas IDK...
APPARENTLY (panda told me) SBR new that Marth's ''infinite'' was merely a good CG BEFORE EIDI was discovered.

Seriously though, Ness>Lucas. I keep saying it but it's true.
Better matchups
Better tourney results
Better moveset.

Those 3 factors are the most important IMO.

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
Hizzlum, your post was full of fail. You see PLENTY of DK mains, while D3 infinite (discovered a month after Ness', but never advertised) still enter tournaments.
And it was a CHAIN GRAB. I hate how so many users are SO uninformed.
what top level pros use DK or constantly get high placement (1-4) in reigions where there is actually up to the standard of the brawl metagame, I only see CBK doing well, and the only reason is cuz reno smash doesnt have many DDD's that socal has a place like socal has, Regardless if they eneter tourneys top level players cept for CBK dont use him so with that said it should be noted tht most high level players find better characters to win money at tourneys with.
I actually constantly go to norcal tourneys(which happens to be one of the best reigions for smash) and it would be a rare sight to see a DK mainer, as the threat of DDD's infinite is far too big and is practically an auto win if the DDD is smart.
Also my friend CUba is death, a great melee/brawl player said that he started infiiting DK when Brawl came out in the US, the ness infinite came after that, so ur facts are wrong. He also stated that there are very few DK mainers in California, and none noteworthy in norcal, so you cant just state that there is plenty of DK mainers ina a metagame with DDD's in almsot all tournaments . so I guess your post is "full of fail"

PKNintendo

Smash Master
what top level pros use DK or constantly get high placement (1-4) in reigions where there is actually up to the standard of the brawl metagame, I only see CBK doing well, and the only reason is cuz reno smash doesnt have many DDD's that socal has a place like socal has, Regardless if they eneter tourneys top level players cept for CBK dont use him so with that said it should be noted tht most high level players find better characters to win money at tourneys with.
I actually constantly go to norcal tourneys(which happens to be one of the best reigions for smash) and it would be a rare sight to see a DK mainer, as the threat of DDD's infinite is far too big and is practically an auto win if the DDD is smart.
Also my friend CUba is death, a great melee/brawl player said that he started infiiting DK when Brawl came out in the US, the ness infinite came after that, so ur facts are wrong. He also stated that there are very few DK mainers in California, and none noteworthy in norcal, so you cant just state that there is plenty of DK mainers ina a metagame with DDD's in almsot all tournaments . so I guess your post is "full of fail"
Your post of is full of fail. No u!

Kidding, but space it please.

again Marth could never infinite Marth, people we're just to pig headed to believe it. I mean it's Marth! A better, more popular character that everyone likes compared to Ness... Who is incredibly unpopular and hated. I honestly would do the same to a character that I hated.

For example, Bowser isn't infinited by D3, but if I was pigheaded I would say OLOLOL BOWSER SUKS BOWSER IS INFINITED BY D3. Get my point.

Look at the tourney results thread. DK is doing fine.

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
Okay, last one for a while:

GOD:

Meta Knight

TOP:

Mr. Game & Watch
Snake
King Dedede
Falco
Marth
R.O.B

HIGH:

Wario
Diddy Kong
Lucario
Olimar
Donkey Kong
Pikachu
Kirby
Ice Climbers
Pit

MIDDLE:

Toon Link
Peach
Wolf
Luigi
Zelda
Zero Suit Samus
Bowser
Mario
Ness
Fox
Sheik

LOW:

Yoshi
Lucas
Pokemon Trainer
Sonic
Ike
Samus
Jigglypuff
Link
Ganondorf
Captain Falcon

viparagon

Smash Ace
Mine...

TOP:
Meta Knight
Snake
d3
falco
G&W
Marth
wario

HIGH:

rob
Olimar
diddy
Donkey kong
lucario
ICs
Kirby
Pikachu
Pit

MIDDLE:

Toon Link
Peach
Wolf
fox
zamus
Zelda
bowser
luigi
lucas
sonic

Sheik

LOW:

mario
ness
ike
sheik
Yoshi
samus
Pokemon Trainer
ganon
jiggly
Captain Falcon
link

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Wow..you are a Mario main and still put him in Low tier. I must congratulate you for not being biased like 80% of the people regarding their character.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
and i must thank you for FINALLY putting sonic in mid tier. lol

Bum ***** in the NYC.
fixd for accuracy. i dont even know any other DK players besides him.
and just in case you didnt know, NYC is one of the most prominent regions for smash anywhere

but for the record, it doesnt matter who you are, or what you say, if anybody DOES NOT have snake as the 2nd best character in this game than you are horribly misinformed. the fact that he loses to D3 does not make D3 better than snake.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Okay, last one for a while:

GOD:

Meta Knight

TOP:

Mr. Game & Watch
Snake
King Dedede
Falco
Marth
R.O.B

HIGH:

Wario
Diddy Kong
Lucario
Olimar
Donkey Kong
Pikachu
Kirby
Ice Climbers
Pit

MIDDLE:

Toon Link
Peach
Wolf
Luigi
Zelda
Zero Suit Samus
Bowser
Mario
Ness
Fox
Sheik

LOW:

Yoshi
Lucas
Pokemon Trainer
Sonic
Ike
Samus
Jigglypuff
Link
Ganondorf
Captain Falcon
Ness is greater than Mario.

Rayquaza07

Smash Ace
it's preatty good for a draft, but I think some of the placements are off.And it needs a bottom tier.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Wow..you are a Mario main and still put him in Low tier. I must congratulate you for not being biased like 80% of the people regarding their character.
I'm surprised too, but Mario's tourney results aren't all that great so I guess it really isn't that surprising...

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I think Mario is actually going to jump into low-mid. He gives a lot of characters ahead of him a tough matchup, he does very well vs. some of the high and top tiers.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
I think Mario is actually going to jump into low-mid. He gives a lot of characters ahead of him a tough matchup, he does very well vs. some of the high and top tiers.
If Mario gets a little more rep in tourneys he'll probably move up to mid mid; Mario's main problem is that he's a second best choice in almost every circumstance, so he's ill-often used.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
His main problem is you can counterpick DDD and get a free win.
Meh, you can still camp DDD effectively with Mario or just use a secondary; DDD's infinite makes him impossible to safely approach but Mario can still camp and punish DDD effectively otherwise; DDD is Mario’s worst match-up but it’s still 70:30 in DDD’s favor (Very bad match-up, but far from a “free win”). DK, Luigi, and Bowser have an even worse time against DDD.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Unless he's playing those characters with a s***load of range our disjointed hitboxes, dair to nair is a **** good approach. dair to cyclone, or even just a straight bair WoP are all good approaches. I don't think you realize how good his priority is. "his UpB is very punishable if whiffed", actually jab to up b is unescapable by a certain number of characters and if you catch a character in the air with a jab, then the fire punch is guaranteed. His recovery is always defensable with a nair unless your playing MK or Marth. Also his shield traction isn't a problem if you know how to powershield.........it's great try it sometime.
I find from most Luigi players I've played against is that a Dair Approach can be beaten or at least share hits by most people's Utilt/Usmash's/Aerials if it's quick enough and has good range. I dunno, but I don't think Dair is that great as you say it is...

I seem to always get out of the Jab to UpB Combo, unless Yoshi is one of those Said Characters that doesn't work on it. But even if I get caught in the air, I escape....

You are forgetting that in some situlations, you can't throw out an Nair without putting yourself in a dangerous position.

Well they also had Void in the beginning stages of the summer.
...... What?

What does this have to do with anything? Yoshi was obviously considered the worst for a long time for a reason. This is just like if CF mains came in here and complained about the same thing.
And I suppose you know what those reasons are, Right?

Everyone was going on about how Yoshi was sooooooooo Useless without DJC, and how terrible he was with his Nerfed Dsmash and Armour, yet nobody ever looked at the positives. Without DJC, Yoshi can actually CHASE, and more importantly, RECOVER now, and who cares about his Dsmash? He has better Tilts, Faster Smashes, and Better Aerials. Yet, Everyone focused on the negatives and treated the mechanics like it was the same as Melee.

This is WHY everyone said he was so terrible, because everyone sought to him that he was Nerfed to a point where it was almost fact. When you take one of the worst characters in Melee, and everyone thinks he was Nerfed, where do you think he will end up? Do you think this is fair at all when it's the exact opposite, and none of it was really true?

And now that we are in present day and everyone (should) know that these things are just minor and people are NOW starting to focus on the strengths, why should he stay 6th worst?

So his shield is horrible and a lot of Brawls metagame revolves around OoS punishment.......nice.
Yet, you still ignore the fact that Yoshi has one of the best Counter Approaches out there. Isn't the entire point of OoS is to counter approaches? Why should Yoshi get heavily punished by his poor shield game when he can still play a solid defencive game on par with most of those with Standard Shields, or if not, better?

Top MK players laugh whenever they hear the whole Yoshi vs. MK crap. I really don't want to get into that right now because i'm sure it's been debated for months and Yoshi mains are stuck on it.
And yet, I bet you that you don't understand why Yoshi does so well against MetaKnight. Nor I don't recall these so called MetaKnight pro's laughing at this matchup, when the most of the top MetaKnight's I seen actually admit Yoshi being an hard matchup against MetaKnight. It seems like the only MetaKnight's who think this is a complete joke, are those who haven't played a good Yoshi and think he's complete garbage...

Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

When did I say Luigi should rise to high tier? Please don't put words in my mouth.
Sorry, I meant to say Higher Tiers, But the point is, you still haven't answered my question that why should Luigi rise up when he has even worser Top Tier Matchups than Yoshi, who should actually drop lower because of it.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
There is no legit reason why Mario should be mid tier, it's just uber fanboyness coming through lol.
He's got the potential of a bottom-mid tier yeah, but no one's taking him there. His tourney results have been poor in comparison to the rest of the cast, and his match-ups are average, but he gets picked apart by some of the more popular (read as 'good') characters who show loads in tournies.

I personally think Sonic has a more convincing case than any other of the low tiers (well, maybe bar one or two) not to be low tier, but yeah, all you need to do is dtilt to beat him. Obviously there's no way around it, and you have to Spin Charge from one side of the stage to the other at a dtilting opponent like a scrub.

>_<

PKNintendo

Smash Master
I can see Ness moving up. (I think I convinced the SBR that Marth doesn't chain grab Ness, nor does he infinite him, and all he can do is grab release Fsmash)

Then again...

Mario would definetely be in mid if they banned D3's infinite.
Wario won't move THAT down.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
There is no legit reason why Mario should be mid tier, it's just uber fanboyness coming through lol.
He's got the potential of a bottom-mid tier yeah, but no one's taking him there. His tourney results have been poor in comparison to the rest of the cast, and his match-ups are average, but he gets picked apart by some of the more popular (read as 'good') characters who show loads in tournies.

I personally think Sonic has a more convincing case than any other of the low tiers (well, maybe bar one or two) not to be low tier, but yeah, all you need to do is dtilt to beat him. Obviously there's no way around it, and you have to Spin Charge from one side of the stage to the other at a dtilting opponent like a scrub.

>_<
Sonic does have abnormal results... I mean Ness. Sonic and Mario (the oddball trio) are all more or less equal. What does Sonic have that Ness and Mario don't?

(No lolgay matchups, but so doesn't Ness. Marth is no longer lolgay, it's just ''gay''.

viparagon

Smash Ace

>_<
mario doesn't have a dtilt and he beats sonic...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom