• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official SBR-B Brawl Tier List v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenki

Smash Hero
No. Just no. This is entirely incorrect.

Some characters are much, much better at mindgames than others. The more maneuverable you are, the better you tend to be at them, for instance. Other attacks can also set up mindgames - projectile spam, for instance, as well as Snake's mines. Some characters have high mindgame potential, others low, so it is indeed a part of a character.
Mindgames in and of themselves are purely a player-based issue, and as far as I'm concerned, it's just performing an action to get your opponent to do a desired action. More correctly stated, some characters have more options, or more effective options for certain mindgames than others.

Take dashes for example - Sonic's running speed and 'screech stop'/side-B cancel can be used to bait an attack from the front, and punish the after lag. Ike's running speed is perfect for punishing a spotdodge by running across the opponent and performing a pivot grab from behind. Obviously, their dash speeds are too different to interchange those baits/punishments, though arguably Sonic can do a reverse side-B shield cancel grab to 'slow down' his grab (since normally, if you tried to run behind and pivot grab, Sonic would end up running past and pivot grabbing before the spotdodge ends).

As for Falcon, though it is true that if you have high accuracy and actually land your hits, Falcon seems like an amazing character, I'm not entirely sure what kind of 'mindgames' he'd be generally reliant on, aside from punishing spotdodges, and airdodges, since that's what everyone seems to do whenever you land a U-air and jump towards your opponent...lol

This isn't what a tier list is. A tier list is not about the popularity of characters but their effectiveness. A very effective but very difficult to learn character may be very high on a tier list, but that doesn't mean that they are particularly common to face - simply that someone who can play the character has a character advantage over a lot of the field.
I think that might just have been a personal application/example.

If your area has alot of tier whores, you're most likely going to meet more high/top tier characters.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
No. Just no. This is entirely incorrect.

Some characters are much, much better at mindgames than others. The more maneuverable you are, the better you tend to be at them, for instance. Other attacks can also set up mindgames - projectile spam, for instance, as well as Snake's mines. Some characters have high mindgame potential, others low, so it is indeed a part of a character.
Some characters have better tools than others to perform said "mindgames". It all boils down to a battle of options. It's Falcon's lack of options that make him so poor. It's Falco's massive variety of options that make him so good. It's the effectiveness of Meta Knight's options that make him so tough. The problem with using mindgames is that they can't really be quantified or used as solid evidence.
I personally believe Snake > Meta Knight because of the way he can force errors so well with his stage control and traps, but then everyone would argue that at the top level of play, you can't take errors into account...

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Some characters have better tools than others to perform said "mindgames". It all boils down to a battle of options. It's Falcon's lack of options that make him so poor. It's Falco's massive variety of options that make him so good. It's the effectiveness of Meta Knight's options that make him so tough. The problem with using mindgames is that they can't really be quantified or used as solid evidence.
I personally believe Snake > Meta Knight because of the way he can force errors so well with his stage control and traps, but then everyone would argue that at the top level of play, you can't take errors into account...
If you did take errors into account, Ike would be hiring by punishing errors with Fsmash.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
First, but yeah.

If it really bothers you, just mix them in your head... it's what I do.

Titanium Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Mindgames in and of themselves are purely a player-based issue, and as far as I'm concerned, it's just performing an action to get your opponent to do a desired action. More correctly stated, some characters have more options, or more effective options for certain mindgames than others.
By this "reasoning", EVERYTHING is purely player based.

But the reality is that it isn't. Some characters are better suited for mindgames than others, and are better at doing them than others.

How good a character is isn't really quanitifable, so any argument about the quanitification of a character is wrong. The tier lists are inherently qualification of things which aren't directly quantifiable.

It would be wrong to disregard an important factor.

But it's only a 1.1 point difference. That hardly justifies a different category.
Actually, it does indeed merit a different tier, seeing as it is much larger than the average tier list in their ranking, and even if you get rid of some of the extra tiers its still a bigger gap than real divisions which should remain.

Maybe not on how many posts someone has, but if someone is from 4chan, then yes, your opinion is not important. Also, go back there.
Seriously?

You are worthless because you think being on 4chan has anything to do with how worthwhile someone's opinion is. Indeed, 4chan has many bright people, far more than Smashboards does.

Grow a sense of humor.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
But it's only a 1.1 point difference. That hardly justifies a different category.
Yes it does. Out of 5 points, 1.1 is a little over 20%. That means that currently on the tier list, MK is supposedly 20% better than Snake. Supposedly.

Now if there's two cars: One car gets a 4 star rating and another gets a 5 star ratings, that's enough for a big separation.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Yes it does. Out of 5 points, 1.1 is a little over 20%. That means that currently on the tier list, MK is supposedly 20% better than Snake. Supposedly.
No.

The numbers have nothing to do with their placing. The 15 means that all SBRoomers agreed that MK is the best character in the game. The digit next to him doesn't mean anything else.

Should have at least put metaknight and snake in the same tier.
That I agree with...

Barge

All I want is a custom title
I don't feel that a tier list is necessary. Your skill depends on how you play not who you play as.
A tier list only lists which characters are better than others.

It has nothing to do with how good someone is.

-_-

ZesuBen

Smash Journeyman
A tier list is a mixture between opinion and data. Don't follow it religiously, or I'll kick you.
Hard.

TP

Smash Master
A tier list is a mixture between opinion and data. Don't follow it religiously, or I'll kick you.
Hard.
Hey everyone, this guy just joined the forum this month. Therefore, he understands the decision making of the leaders of this forum and can teach the rest of us how to comprehend it. It's a good thing we have people like ZesuBen here to play their part.

Barge

Hey everyone, this guy just joined the forum this month. Therefore, he understands the decision making of the leaders of this forum and can teach the rest of us how to comprehend it. It's a good thing we have people like ZesuBen here to play their part.
Is that sarcasm?

Barge

You should've put a -_- at the end of your post. I would have understood if it was sarcasm then.
No my post was not sarcastic. Because I don't really think join date matters.
There is some truth to his post. You shouldn't like....worship a tier list.

RyanPF

Smash Journeyman
What is it with people and disregarding people's statements because of their join date? He wasn't born that day. Why treat him like that?

TP

Smash Master
What is it with people and disregarding people's statements because of their join date? He wasn't born that day. Why treat him like that?
I actually agreed with his statement, ironically. In certain areas, join date is irrelevant. It doesn't affect skill or even knowledge of the game. However, it does affect his understanding of this forum, and that includes official aspects of the forum such as this tier list. However, his join date was not why I replied negatively, it was just another little thing. The main thing is that his point, a reasonable one, has been said hundreds of times in this thread and thousands of times elsewhere. If his post had just been "In my opinion, the tier list can't be completely accurate because it is made by people and is thus opinionated" then I would have said nothing. However, he said (paraphrasing) "The tier list is flawed because it is opinionated. If you disagree with me you are wrong and you deserve punishment for being wrong." You can't point out the obvious and then act superior to others for it.

Barge

I actually agreed with his statement, ironically. In certain areas, join date is irrelevant. It doesn't affect skill or even knowledge of the game. However, it does affect his understanding of this forum, and that includes official aspects of the forum such as this tier list. However, his join date was not why I replied negatively, it was just another little thing. The main thing is that his point, a reasonable one, has been said hundreds of times in this thread and thousands of times elsewhere. If his post had just been "In my opinion, the tier list can't be completely accurate because it is made by people and is thus opinionated" then I would have said nothing. However, he said (paraphrasing) "The tier list is flawed because it is opinionated. If you disagree with me you are wrong and you deserve punishment for being wrong." You can't point out the obvious and then act superior to others for it.
In my opinion I viewed his post as a "You shouldn't worship the tier list, its not always accurate. Besides it's just a list, its not going to change how you play your game"

TP

Smash Master
In my opinion I viewed his post as a "You shouldn't worship the tier list, its not always accurate. Besides it's just a list, its not going to change how you play your game"
You are probably right. At any rate, I don't like arguments, so I'm out of here. Sorry if I offended anyone or something. :)

RyanPF

Smash Journeyman
True. The thing about his join date just threw me off.

DarkPikmin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
zDecoy
Join date shouldn't matter. You could have been lurking around the forum for the last 9 months and make an account just to reply to a post :dizzy:. You would have an understanding of the forum. OH SHI- *divides by zero*

M.K

Level 55
*awesome face* Boy, am I glad I joined in 2007.
*Happy, orgasmic, eltist thumbs up*

Ok so...lets discuss Ike.
I think he has reached the very pinnacle of his competitive potential. I can only see him going down from here.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Ok so...lets discuss Ike.
I think he has reached the very pinnacle of his competitive potential. I can only see him going down from here.
There was once a time when you would have received a scathing reply from me and a list of recent Ike discoveries.

Now though..now...

I'm just going to shake my head and walk away.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
There was once a time when you would have received a scathing reply from me and a list of recent Ike discoveries.

Now though..now...

I'm just going to shake my head and walk away.
Still, do you think we'll be seeing Mario move above Ike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom