• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The *Official* Pittsburgh Melee Weeklies Thread of the LoL WoW Love

Nakamaru

Smash Master
i work at 6pm tomorrow. : ( but i dont work at all after that. So i'll be free for smash and hope to act like a smash hermit for as long as possible.

I would like to smash early tomorrow if at all possible since of the whole work at 6pm thing, but seeing as it is in butler that may not happen. Butler guys (jacob mainly) let me know whats up.

DickChang

Smash Journeyman
I haven't seen bones, but I've heard it's grood and David Boreanaz is probably still really hot *swoon*
Oh God, every time I watch Bones I bust a nut. And not because of the half Asian chick on the show.

Ok mostly because of her, but David Boreanaz too.

Ok no, its all the halfie.

Exetus

Smash Cadet
After playing Falco and only Falco since mid-2007 when I first found competitive Smash, I think it's about time I pick up a secondary or two, and I want to see what you guys think. I've got about a month here at home with no one to Smash with except my brothers (who aren't good at the game, simply because they're not interested in playing "competitively"), so I figure it's a good time to learn a new character.
Ice Climbers.

I've been messing around with Falco and it hasn't really hurt my Fox game, but it might be different the other way around since you break that habit of using lasers whenever the opponent is more than one falco SHL distance away.

Cobalt

Smash Journeyman
Ice Climbers.

I've been messing around with Falco and it hasn't really hurt my Fox game, but it might be different the other way around since you break that habit of using lasers whenever the opponent is more than one falco SHL distance away.
Well it's not really like that...ugh, how do I describe it. Fox runs faster, has a faster jump (both in startup lag and overall time thanks to the lower height), requires faster shining (generally), he just moves significantly faster than Falco does. When I go back to Falco from that, the extra time on the jump, the slower SHL, the shorter wavedash with longer timing, the shorter initial dash, the slower running speed, etc. all make Falco feel sluggish in comparison.

It's messed up my tech in that I'm not able to smoothly switch my timings between the two characters, so I'll try to fastfall a Falco SHL too early, or miss an L-cancel because of the different number of hits on Fox's/Falco's dair, things like that. Of course, if it gets to the point where I try to upthrow-upair someone as Falco, then I figure it's time to take a break :p

Anyway, as long as I can get used to switching timings correctly before I get back to Pittsburgh, I should be good.

Rose

Smash Journeyman
... buffy and angel D:
yeah...I marathoned all 7 seasons of Buffy a few years ago. Good ****.

Buffy season 4 and onward is pretty weak though, and Angel so far is boring (I've been on season 3 for a few years :[ )

Also, Lindsey >>> Angel

Nakamaru

Smash Master
sorry wemp, if i didn't have work today i would have picked you up. I'll try to get you later in the week because i dont have anything holding me down anymore. aside from GF stuff.

Exetus

Smash Cadet
Well it's not really like that...ugh, how do I describe it. Fox runs faster, has a faster jump (both in startup lag and overall time thanks to the lower height), requires faster shining (generally), he just moves significantly faster than Falco does. When I go back to Falco from that, the extra time on the jump, the slower SHL, the shorter wavedash with longer timing, the shorter initial dash, the slower running speed, etc. all make Falco feel sluggish in comparison.
So I was playing Melee again (hands not being half numb from the cold for the first time in a while) and I just combod a lvl 1 computer as Falco for about 30 stocks. Then I switched to Fox and was like zomg, I'm on lightning melee.

I think most people I've talked to said that it took them a while to get used to it, but after a while they can switch between characters without problem. I wouldn't worry too much about it when choosing alternate, especially if you're having fun doing so.

You get it back with like 5 minutes of practice anyways. Riding a bike metaphor and whatnot.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Well, my fellow smashers, I learned an important life lesson today. I was a sad victim of the flight problems due to the snowstorm, and I have been at this airport since 6:00 this morning.

Lesson: Your friends will always be busy when you are completely bored out of your mind, but your phone will ring off of the hook if you are actually doing something enjoyable (playing Melee, hanging with friends, hanging out with someone who is more than a friend, etc.) . This is a sad truth of life, and I spent today trying to stop from going insane.

And now for something completely different:

Is the CMU tourney going to be a monthly thing? Because that would be amazing.

Oh, and Logan is not to be trusted. Remember that.

Fox rules.

That is all.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
1) why am i not to be trusted? D:

and

2) why didn't you tell me you were at the airport?! i woulda gotten on skype or something asap lol

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
1. Logan is not to be trusted because he brings up Fox players who may or may not be from Canada at random times.

2. You were sick, and I didn't want to wreck your voice. You remember that Smashfest where I was "Silent Shuffla." Oh, and that wasn't a direct stab at you, just an overall thought. I knew you weren't just ignoring me for WOW or something.. *cough*^^^^

3. According to Logan, if women get in the way of Smash, he will have an intervention, and storm my room. (My newly cleaned room!)

Cobalt

Smash Journeyman
Suggestions for Capture Card?

Dazzle? Gamebridge?
If all goes well I'll end up with a Hauppauge HD PVR for Christmas, which is WAY overkill for Smash. But I need it for something else anyway, so yeah.

Gamebridges as far as I know are impossible to find but awesome if you can find one. Dazzle seems to be standard.

Honestly I don't think it really matters much as long as it's an external thing--trying to fit a PCI capture card in a laptop probably wouldn't go very well.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
All smash vids are now converted and imported into windows media player. Going Christmas shopping but hopefully I'll get them separated and started uploading tonight :p

1. Logan is not to be trusted because he brings up Fox players who may or may not be from Canada at random times.

2. You were sick, and I didn't want to wreck your voice. You remember that Smashfest where I was "Silent Shuffla." Oh, and that wasn't a direct stab at you, just an overall thought. I knew you weren't just ignoring me for WOW or something.. *cough*^^^^

3. According to Logan, if women get in the way of Smash, he will have an intervention, and storm my room. (My newly cleaned room!)
Ok, I was actually going to my sister's musical. And then after that I was going to my friend's house for the rest of the night. So to be fair, I actually couldn't have gotten on skype anyways.

Also, how'd the counterpick go?

A-Laon

Smash Master
Ok, I was actually going to my sister's musical. And then after that I was going to my friend's house for the rest of the night. So to be fair, I actually couldn't have gotten on skype anyways.
That sounds like an awful lot of activity for somebody who's TOO SICK TO SMASH!

I knew you couldn't be trusted.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Logan, we will not speak of the counterpick, no one won that one. However, in the end, I gained momentum. That is not important, however.

UPDATE!!!: As a result of only wanting to carry two bags to the airport, I had to sacrifice the dirty laundry bag by actually doing laundry the night before. Because of this, I had nowhere to store my Cube (had it padded within the laundry bag) so I had to leave it in Pittsburgh. I still have my controller, though, and I will roam the streets of Philly for potential players.

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
There's 4 days left on the special room rate for *Pound.* It would be more fun to room with Pittsburgh people than strangers. If anyone has room left in his room or wants to split one with me, please get at me.

Vyke

Smash Champion
My experience with GameBridge wasn't that great. It had a short life for me, stalling to "I lag the frame-rate to unbearable speed and don't work half the time with my shoddy software included."

We were looking into something in the past that recorded directly to Zip Drive and wasn't too expensive, but I forget the name.

Vyke

Smash Champion
It worked great, at first. It quickly went downhill and started recording laggy videos, so I had to turn down the quality to get a semblance of a watch-able video. You could have a different experience, maybe mine was defected or it didn't cope well with my lap-top, or AV Input method? Who knows. I do know I'd find it easier recording directly to Zip Drive anyhow, lol.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Speaking of rooms, where are we (namely, I) staying? I can put up some cash to sleep on someone's floor. It matters not.

Nakamaru

Smash Master
Me, jacob, jeff, aaron, and marc got some awesome stuff recorded. Can't wait till those go up.

*NOTE TO ANYONE THAT HAS ANYFOOTAGE*
__Please don't delete any footage you have of pittsburgh smash. I want to put together a pittsburgh wide combo video. I think it'll be awesome if i can collect a good deal of footage over the next few weeks/months and pick the best combos/clips into a video. Might make two just for lulz__

AprilShaw

aka Logan
That sounds like an awful lot of activity for somebody who's TOO SICK TO SMASH!

I knew you couldn't be trusted.
I was gonna surprise you and show up with Thomas, but he decided not to go because he had work at noon and didn't wanna get stuck in the snow.

❀W.E.M.P.❀

Mote Of Dust
good **** chris

jesus i jv 5'd everyone yesterday/today.

and by that i mean i got my **** compressed into my *** i was ***** so hard. Can't wait to play more/record more/play new people! cabc and alan i want to meet/play you guys so bad XP

Top Bottom