• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The *Official* Pittsburgh Melee Weeklies Thread of the LoL WoW Love

takieddine

Smash Master
sure thing bud, I get off work a little later though so lets say 11:00pm I should be at Alaina's house. I'm calling off sick on Thursday so we dont have to worry about it tomorrow night.

I'll give ya a call

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
Can you do anything out of shield besides roll, side dodge, shield grab and jump (and therefore wavedash, JC up-b, JC up-smash, JC shine). I guess another way to ask this is "What moves are jump cancelable?"

When people dash into up-smash, are they usually jump canceling or crouch canceling?

Hm... well crouch canceling is not really applicable, so I suppose it's jump canceling. Never mind.

And it looks like that's about all the moves that are jump cancelable.

Reckon I've answered my own questions. Hope you enjoyed this.

Raziel744

Smash Apprentice
Can you do anything out of shield besides roll, side dodge, shield grab and jump (and therefore wavedash, JC up-b, JC up-smash, JC shine). I guess another way to ask this is "What moves are jump cancelable?"

When people dash into up-smash, are they usually jump canceling or crouch canceling?

Hm... well crouch canceling is not really applicable, so I suppose it's jump canceling. Never mind.

You just blew my mind.

Cobalt

Smash Journeyman

Basically, yeah. Out of shield you can roll, spot dodge, grab, and jump. Along with the ability to jump out of shield comes the ability to any move that can be jump-canceled, such as up-smash, up-B, shine, hell, you could JC grab if you wanted.

Dashing up-smashes are usually performed by JCing them, but smashing down on the control stick and then up on the C-stick at the same time is also possible for almost the same effect, without the possibility of jumping. Personally I find that JC up-smashes are easiest for me if I press up on the control stick and C-stick at the same time.

edit: Oh yeah, I'm not entirely sure of this, so I'll ask the thread. The reason JC-ing up-smashes is possible. Is it because you can up-smash in the same time window as wavedashing (i.e., while your character is considered standing on the ground)? Or is it because tap-jumps don't immediately register so as to give the player a larger-timing window for up-smashing (otherwise, up-smashes would need frame perfect input)?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
well, the idea is that with tap jumping, doing a usmash with A would be very difficult if you couldn't do it out of the startup animation for a jump, so that was their solution. The side effect is that we can usmash OoS and while dashing.

another thing of note, JC shines are misunderstood. you are actually not remaining grounded while JC shining and instead are shining on the first airborne frame of your jump. Shine stops your momentum, which allows you to quickly fall back to the ground so that when you jump back out of that shine, you've been grounded again.

in other words, "jump cancelling" a shine is using those words to mean a different thing. with JC shines, the shine is being canceled by your jump and then your jump is effectively being cancelled by the momentum stop of shine, whereas all other things we associate with jump canceling (grabs and usmashes mostly) are things that we can do out of the startup frames of a jump.

TheLake

Smash Master
Ok so heres the scoop

You can jump cancel upsmash or dash cancel

Upsmashes can be pivoted the fastest because JC is slightly faster than dash (err crouch dash canceling? wahtever its called) but you can dash cancel any smash.

Shines are different in the JC spectrum *looks up at mogwais handsome avatar* OH mogwai covered that nonsense

JC also applies differently with zelda. Because when it comes to grabs zelda is one of the three characters who's grab becomes "worse" when JC so the term only really applies to her neutral B

Yeah her little love making machine can be JC kind of. Zeldas B pops zelda off the ground for a bit on the first couple damaging frames (like when she begins the spin) so if you jump then use the move when your low to the ground the attack frames are automaticly there (and you get this bad *** shred hit box dealie)

the more ya know!

Taunt canceling is what you need to be doing though

Falcons is really fast O_o

Vudujin

Smash Lord
Jump cancelling an upsmash is a game mechanic, I dont think you can jump cancel any other smash. Its like they programmed the game so at certain frames before you're airborne you can activate an up-smash by tapping A

This is taki

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
tonight is going to be awesome. I am so hyped to get my *** handed to me, never been 4 stocked by taki before :p

hopefully that **** will get recorded.
It'll be rough at first, but when you take your first stock from Taki, you'll become less afraid.

Merovingian: "As you can see, he is just a man."

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
Jump cancelling an upsmash is a game mechanic, I dont think you can jump cancel any other smash. Its like they programmed the game so at certain frames before you're airborne you can activate an up-smash by tapping A

This is taki
I believe this is an attempt to alleviate tap jump making people accidentally up air instead of up smash. It makes sense from a design perspective.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
Really sorry for the delays everyone on getting videos up. It seems like everything that could go wrong, has gone wrong.

Including, but not limited to:

Illness
Laptop crashing and burning due to me fuxxing with drivers
First 2 attempts at converting videos were corrupt
3rd attempt I converted to an absolutely terrible format
Laptop not staying on overnight
Mother constantly interrupting me when I'm actually home, due to Christmas, etc etc
Dad filed for divorce

And finally,
World of Warcraft trial + League of Legends

Basically I'm still sick, which sucks, and I haven't been home much, and I'm tired as hell. I actually just finished finally getting all the videos separated into the individual games after getting them converted into working, not corrupt files. Now all I gotta do is resave all the videos and upload which I'll do tomorrow. Again, really sorry for delaying everyone.

Naka's new signature is absolutely amazing since we can only see the top of the guy's head lmao

And to the people I said I'll be playing WoW with. I'm not sure what I think about it at this point. It feels very unimmersive (dunno if that's grammatically correct), and the quest grinding is really dull. Add in the fact that I actually haven't played with anyone I know yet, and the only person I've talked to on there is Matt, and it makes it feel all that much worse. Fighting things is fun but gets repetitive fast. I dunno what I'm gonna do about it because if I upgrade to full, then I won't be able to return the copies of the game I bought. Probably what I'll do is just upgrade my account and unlock Burning Crusade, so I can be a Blood Elf, as I think the major reason for me not liking it so far is I haaaaate my character. Undead are ****ing ugly, and they're the best of the 4 original horde races imo. We'll see though. If anyone plays and hasn't gotten Wrath of the Lich King, don't get it yet, 'cause I might be able to sell you mine.

All that said, League of Legends is addictive as hell. So **** fun.

❀W.E.M.P.❀

Mote Of Dust
okay before I go to my aunt's little christmas thing I have to say a couple things from last night.

Good ****ing **** everyone.
Matt/Razael(?) too good. your marth beat me pretty **** bad. I did better against your falcon then i thought I would though. I guess nakas training is helping :p.

Rose - wait.... hold up. Dude you ***** the **** out of me so hard, if I defecate anything OTHER than blood within the next two weeks it will be a Christmas miracle. 4 stocked by falcon ( I guess nakas training ISN'T helping D': ), 3stocked by fox, 4 stocked by jiggs..... >.> TWICE. I cried all last night combing my hair calling myself a dirty little ****.

D20

Smash Lord
I also have a room reserved for everyone I am driving.

I have Evan car at the moment, and I have three spots open. Who is coming with me?

Raziel744

Smash Apprentice
Good ****ing **** everyone.
Matt/Razael(?) too good. your marth beat me pretty **** bad. I did better against your falcon then i thought I would though. I guess nakas training is helping :p.
Well thanks! You're a ton better then when I saw you at Duquense the first time, too. Keep it up. Last night was a blast. My car finally started and I was an hour and a half late for work.

D20

Smash Lord
Well, you still can. However, that would leave Matt out of the loop. This is really a no win situation. Naka, is your car filled?

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
Thanks, Naka. =)

Now everyone needs to *register.* I'm just sayin deadline is Jan. 1st; time to jump on the grenade.

Also, more CMU people need to go.

Top Bottom