• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The *Official* Pittsburgh Melee Weeklies Thread of the LoL WoW Love

Nakamaru

Smash Master
TOURNEY THIS FRIDAY!

Great now that i have you're attention. I'm gonna hold a teams (arranged or random) and single tournament tomorrow.

So everyone should come! That means you CMU guys. Bring as many people as ya can.

Lets make this awesome!

6VI6

Smash Apprentice
TOURNEY THIS FRIDAY!

Great now that i have you're attention. I'm gonna hold a teams (arranged or random) and single tournament tomorrow.

So everyone should come! That means you CMU guys. Bring as many people as ya can.

Lets make this awesome!
Wish I saw this yesterday :/
I really want to smash at duq at least once before Smashtastrophe, my fridays have not been accomodating though

:phone:

:phone:

Vyke

Smash Champion
Xypherous said:
Exsnypre said:
I'd have to say, if you were an employee of mine involved in creative processes, like say, character design, and I asked you to provide constructive input into world/level design and you couldn't, I'd probably have to either let you go or pass you over for promotions.

A creative person is by definition, creative. By virtue of your job, you should have an in depth understanding as to the thought processes of players and the interactions they have within the game. Well, in theory at least. If you couldn't contribute to map design with that knowledge, maybe you aren't really cut out for working in the videogame industry.
Hm. I'm not sure how to respond to this - While there is something to the notion of 'Every creative person should be able to contribute to a creative endeavor' - there is something profoundly unsettling about 'A creative person, is by definition, creative.'

Creativity has so many different axis' that this kind of blanket statement is actually kind of unsettling in a way - and I think this kind of thinking actually contributes to a large degree of why creative endeavors fail a lot of the time. People who are good at one type of creativity over-estimate themselves and think they are good at everything creative - and it also contributes to a lot of really good creative people thinking they're not creative because they're bad at a particular type of creative endeavor.

A very basic level designer would have an understanding spatial awareness, traffic flows and pacing based on time as well as things like aesthetics, viewpoints and how easy it is to 'grasp' the zone.

A very basic lore writer / character designer would have an understanding of visual/symbolic analogies (especially in reference to literature/culture), common tropes and cultural mindsets and general narrative structure as well as having a broad base of understanding of common media and general mindsets.

A very basic champion designer would have an understanding of fun and frustration in terms of the user experience, some knowledge of how to link player inputs to visual outputs, rhythm, mechanical interplay and such as well as a deep knowledge of the game mechanics from the game and other games.

To say that a creative person should be able to handle creative things to me shows a kind of disrespect for all the fields of creativity someone can be creative in - To everyone out there who thinks they aren't creative because they've failed at writing or poetry or something - You are underestimating yourself.
Figured I'd just leave this here to inspire some people. Quote from a Designer that is employed by Riot Games, producer of League.

D20

Smash Lord
Posting from Panera on my business laptop (**** gaming computers, I'm a working man now)...

I'm grading tests on Julius Caesar and War of the Worlds; the students seem to be doing well. This is how I spend my Saturday nights now.

In other news, I have to make a study guide on the Trojan War for my Chinese students... they understand about 10% of what I say. Fun times.

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
something im working on for stuff. all from memory. tell me waht i missing because i know theres alot.

Career singles OoS performance
Player|OoS wins (most to least impressive)|OoS losses (most to least embarrassing)
Carroll|Moose, Lite, HIV+, Lain x2, SlayerTokey, FlipX, Jungle x2, Abu, Dbloc, ToastyHTC, Warlock Don, Mhhm, | God Voice, Klob, Abu, J-Moan, FlipX, Mafia, Kzhu x2,
SilentSWAG|Redd, OTG, 4%, Spawn, C!Z, Juggleguy, X, SlayerTokey, Soul, No Ca$h, DaBlackPacman, |Lipton Buddy, Vex, HIV+, BIGBLACK****MASTER, Scythe, Krazyknux,
Taki|Nando, Sweet, 4%, Impp, Sheaden, Moose x2, Kzhu, Velocity, |KrazyKrox, Juggleguy, Kzhu, SlayerTokey, Redd,
Vudujin|Vanz, DoH, Drephen, Niko, Redd, Duck, 4%, Riddlebox, Idea, FlipX, Juggleguy, Moose, X, Phish it, Kalamazhu, dempt, |SlayerTokey, Velocity Spawn, Sol, Mafia,
TheLake|Trail, DoH, Dope, Mofo, Kail, |FlipX, Kzhu, Winston,
Ambix |G$, Ihavespaceballs, Pakman, Wes, Nintendude, Krazykrox, kitty, |
D20|Scar, Phish it, Niko, Inui, Big_R, Impp, Vist, X, Benteezy |Camper Bob, Minty, Mogwai,
Nakamaru|Krazyknux, Klob, Soul, |
Abate|Weon-X, Krazyknux, Idea, |

Vudujin

Smash Lord
I've beaten Drephen, FlipX, 4%, Juggleguy, Moose, X, Phish it, Kalamazhu

I've lost to Lucky, Spawn, Kels, Vanz, IB, Irish Mafia, KK, Unknown, Velocity, Mango, Sol, Hax, M2K,

D20

Smash Lord
I've beaten a ton of out of state players - Phish it, Niko, Inui, Big_R, Impp, Vist, X, Benteezy, and lots more. My most embarrassing loss has to be Camper Bob (actually I'm 2-1 against him... but it feels like 1000-0 in his favor). I've also never beaten Mogwai in a tournament set.

Engel

Smash Journeyman
I hear there's going to be a couple brawl events at tekko... you guys should (politely) request some melee events on the forums/facebook

unless you don't want any...

Niko45

Smash Master
That chart is pretty cool. Abate beat me too but I guess maybe that was back when he was not Pitt so idk if it counts or not.

Wtf Pitt just owns me.

Vyke

Smash Champion
You'd think Tekko would be getting better with it's popularity getting a pretty good boost. Since I've had Metal Gear on the mind lately, I'd really wish David Hayter would come to one...

So I could steal his vocal chords.

http://i.imgur.com/53XDd.jpg

Top Bottom