• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Ohio Brawl Power Rankings (11/25/12: NEW RANKINGS UPDATED!)

Kirikou Rung

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I'll willing to do anything to help revive Ohio. I'm back in Dayton from my Military stuff and will be working on hosting tournaments in the MiamisBurg Area.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Yo KB, i have the contact info for the RAGE venue if you want to do large scale event. If you run it as a fundraiser and find a good cause (i just donated back to the venue), you can pay like....200 for the entire day. such a nice venue u w u people were awesome to work with as well (as long as you avoid the pastor >__>)

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
That would be a wonderful place for me to work with, especially for that price. Thanks your highness. I'll need a lot of help to work my way into a confident TO groove, but I'm totally willing to give it a shot if there's enough interest among our players to support and attend. A revival would be wonderful...and what better location than the red headed stepchild of the state known as NEOH to try and spark one, haha.

LOE1

Smash Lord
you gotta point...i think less people would want to be active in ohio if i played there more :denzel:

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
you gotta point...i think less people would want to be active in ohio if i played there more :denzel:
Nah. We would just have to bring snacks to smashfests since we know we're going to be there for awhile. :D

I wish I had patience, but I like to attack too much and push buttons.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Let me explain the big picture that most of you are not seeing. Now granted this is my own opinion based on my perspective and experience with the smash community, this is not 100% factual.

To have a competitive video game scene, you need competitive players that are willing to practice to compete with other players who practice. This requires the interest and dedication from all across the nation/globe. Where does this interest come from? Why is there so few new players that want to join our game?

The answer is exposure. The reason why we don't have many new players that want to enter our scene is because our big tournaments/hi-level play are not hype. When I entered brawl for the first time I was hype to discover techniques I've never seen before, and to play with people who share the same interest locally. But what can possibly promote hype into our game now? We've been dropped from MLG, and no offence but the Apex 2013 stream was some of the most depressing things I've ever seen.

If you want to promote the OH smash scene the first thing we need is regional rivalry. And that's not just to our neighbors in MI. Back in the day there was a huge war in OH for the 4 areas of smash: Cinci, Smashfield, Columbus, and NEOH. Gradually God Kais decided to induct everyone but smashfield into their group, and when smashfield and Cinci left there was no rivalry left.

Now here's the million dollar question; how do we promote regional rivalry again in OH? The very first thing everyone can do is to practice. Just the initial commitment to invest time into getting good will promote hype in OH.

The second item is the revival of crew battles. Seriously, doubles should be less of a priority than crew battles if they happen. An alternative way to consider crew battles is not a single 1v1 crew battle royal, but a bracket/pool of crew battles that consist of 3-5 players from each region. (Ex. NEOH vs Cinci vs Columus Vs OoS). Another thing we could bring back is draft crews, draft crews are interesting because it ranks players on the spot depending on the captain's opinion.

Lastly we need to travel more as a group. This is the one thing MI has done way better than us imo (geographically they are able to do this better but w/e). When one group decides to go OoS for a tourney, this should prompt the rest of the state to consider that tournament. One major reason this happened before was to actually prevent players from another area to win the tournaments so they don't look as good in the PR, I remember conversations with AZ / Y.b.M / Infern when they would discuss going to tournaments just to make sure other players don't get that tournament win to look good on the PR. A major factor in this trend is the loss of hype of IN/KY tournaments, with the loss of the top players in both of those regions (Xisin in KY, Count and Ren in IN) these tournaments are way less hype. The answer for OH is to travel further. We need to start considering IL, TN, Canada, even Kansas, GA, AL, tournaments. And we need to travel better as an entire state, roll up and take all of their money.

My 2 cents.

SoulPech

Smash Master
last year, I was suggesting little crew battles to try to get the spark back in Ohio. in Columbus, there was Fizzle, Carls, MX, and Myself. In NEOH, there was Shugo, Jiffy, KB, and Blue rogue, Cinci has sneaky, lumi, Sora, and Chi. I'm already traveling, but the issue with me is time away from work. I've already considered going to tournies in Illinois and Tenneessee, but afaik, there isn't interest and those that are interested don't have funds to do so.

Jiffyboob

Smash Lord
Did someone say crew battles? I <3 crew battles. I'm always trying to get a crew battle together.
I have to agree. I think crew battles being standard for a while here in Ohio would be good and even when we go OoS, bring it up to the TO.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
My main points were three fold:

1.) Everyone needs to be more serious about practicing. (myself included)
2.) **** doubles, crew battles.
3.) Lets roll OoS deep. We pay for our trips with THEIR money.

Also, I refuse to believe that OH is less wealthy than MI. If MI can get 8 players to travel 4-5 hours every other month then so should we.

SoulPech

Smash Master
Michigan only goes to MI or OH tournies. Only some people, like Zinoto, will go as far as to sktar, but only went to a couple. Hell, I occasionally go to Michigan for smashfests.

Columbus literally practices at least twice a week, and we do travel at least once a month out of state, but the issue is that the players in Columbus do not drive (only like 3 ppl drive and one of them is under 18 and myself included :/)

The crew battle talk is just to try to get the spark back in Ohio. Like if people get together to play, it can cause more interest again.

LOE1

Smash Lord
i got captain for the crews :)

now...which people from ohio are good at time outs...:denzel:

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Michigan only goes to MI or OH tournies. Only some people, like Zinoto, will go as far as to sktar, but only went to a couple. Hell, I occasionally go to Michigan for smashfests.

Columbus literally practices at least twice a week, and we do travel at least once a month out of state, but the issue is that the players in Columbus do not drive (only like 3 ppl drive and one of them is under 18 and myself included :/)
Sounds like johns to me. If I really want to go to a tournament I'll go by myself or duo with Kel. Baller status.

stewyian

Smash Ace
Id b down for crews anytime me and loe1 in this, but idk about crews ovrr doubles like alot of people look forward to dubs way more than singles, hell some people only enter doubles

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
I really do miss crew battles, and those were the events where the most hype, and PRIDE was on the line, and in some cases....PIE.

Kel and I are back in Cincinnati now, and I might be able to start hosting smashfests soon, Tako, if you wanna pick out a day where everyone can literally sit down and practice at your place go for it. And I mean really practice. After every match talk, and tell each other what could we can all fix ect. Also Smash 64 is back in Cinci, we can also invite him too. :D

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
"A bunch of correct stuff"

We need to start considering IL, TN, Canada, even Kansas, GA, AL, tournaments.

And especially Nebraska.
I agree with the last part, especially since that Mega Man tournament is going to happen.

And the week before there's that huge 200+ pot bonus tournament in Kansas.

I haven't been to a tournament in OH, but Lumi housed me in Cinci and I have lost to Kel and Tako in tournament in Kentucky (where I won the melee tournament) before so that counts imho.

Kinda like how I planned to go to 2 MI tournaments but I family johned out of them (And one of them I had my bus ticket and Lions tickets paid for so it was legit :((((((((((((((((( ) so that counts as if I've been there.

Also I gave them Thugz. Much like herpes it's a gift that keeps on giving.

I forgot why I came here and quoted that post, it wasn't to plug my tournament originally.

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
If only I joined the offline community earlier. Despite what I've was able to get into so far, it looks like I still missed out on a lot more, haven't I?

sneakytako

Smash Lord
I really do miss crew battles, and those were the events where the most hype, and PRIDE was on the line, and in some cases....PIE.

Kel and I are back in Cincinnati now, and I might be able to start hosting smashfests soon, Tako, if you wanna pick out a day where everyone can literally sit down and practice at your place go for it. And I mean really practice. After every match talk, and tell each other what could we can all fix ect. Also Smash 64 is back in Cinci, we can also invite him too. :D
We could setup a weekly thing on Friday or something. Traitorous Three can always drink on Saturday.

clowsui

Smash Legend
I'm starting to get motivation again.

That being said I'm more motivated to practice Melee more than anything...though I can play Brawl.

Top Bottom