• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Ohio Brawl Power Rankings (11/25/12: NEW RANKINGS UPDATED!)

Roller

Smash Legend
I think you are under the impression we all dislike each other and are going to start screaming over this or something...

I guess after reading some of the OH panels' responses a few of them might be taking it that way, but I'd be fine discussing the problems I see in the current system, and would debate the topic in a civil manner. And I'm sure Zinoto feels the same. Any hostility emanating from my posts is more so a passion to convey my point, not so much anger at any given individual.

TheKiest

Smash Champion
Correct me if I'm wrong but.... wasn't it announced BEFORE ranbats that it wouldn't count toward the PR?
(similar to how I didn't want people to count my original Kakuto-Geemu series because there were no Pools?)

Also (don't want to speak for Juu but...) I've asked him about becoming a panelist and at the time wasn't interested.

@MX: That modesty is what makes good Panelists.

@Roller: Sadly I do not have time to respond to everything you've written since I last posted (and reading pink text hurts my eyes at night... rofl)... but to your "Blaming it on Real Life"? Essentially, yes. I was. I quit being a panelist when I made the choice of not following every tournament since that would mean missing data. If there is time, I wouldn't mind discussing this in person at PS5.

@Sailor: Come to one of mine once though!

@Chi: Do you really think credibility of a TO is thrown in question whether or not an event counts toward a PR? The events themselves speak about your credibility... which have mostly been great. Not at first... but then you changed it up and fixed your errors. Maybe our reasons for holding tournaments are different, but I don't run tournaments for the scene's credibility: I run them because I have fun with it and enjoy others having fun at those events.

Zinoto

Smash Lord
Correct me if I'm wrong but.... wasn't it announced BEFORE ranbats that it wouldn't count toward the PR?
No they weren't stated as events that wouldn't count for the PR.

If anyone is taking any of this to heart, remember who's posting most of this.....me. When have any of you seen me hold a grudge or start screaming at someone over Brawl? I'm just stating the problems that I'm seeing with the PR and I am offering justification for why they are problems. The biggest problems I see are:

1) You need to set guidelines for what is going to count for the PR BEFORE the tourney actually happens. Only under extenuating circumstances should you discount tournies after they have happened (e.g. problems with the TO, unfair rulings, misconduct, etc.).

2) Keep the season period stagnant. All the fluctuation with the season ending date skews results and will likely end in a situation similar to this one.

3) Use results, not "skill". PR's are a reflection of the state's CURRENT skill level. Roller put it very well in a post before about this. I don't remember where it was, but it went along the lines of: If someone checked the MI PR and they saw L_Cancel, Kenny, Judge, Lain, Anther, Myself, and Boxxy; then decided that they would go to a tourney in MI, they would be disappointed as most of those players were inactive this entire season. If they're not going to tournies they shouldn't be on the PR. Same for OH; Even if Shugo (just an example) is going to be the best player regardless if he plays for months or not. If he's not going to tournies don't put him on there. This is a PR thread not a museum showcasing OH's talent over multiple seasons.

4) Compile the results. Panelists are expected to gather the data, compile it into an organized chart, and form a list of the top players based on those results. If you do this as the season goes on, it's not a hassle at all. Every tourney, just keep a note of any notable wins/losses (takes 5 mins). Also, please post full results, especially if you plan to use the all-pool format. No one can rightfully determine who defeated who at tournies where the results are:

1. Player-A
1. Player-B
1. Player-C
4. Player-D
4. Player-E
4. Player-F
7. Player-G
7. Player-H

I never stated that anyone should relieve themselves as panelist, I just want you all to give fair and impartial results. Regardless if your scene is "dying" or you think that it doesn't matter because "you're all bad", that shouldn't stop you all from doing your jobs and doing it right.

Also, if anyone is wondering why I'm causing so much of a fret over this, it's because I hate seeing people getting jacked out of something they deserve. Those two deserve those spots, no reason to keep them from getting what they deserve.

Roller

Smash Legend
@Roller: Sadly I do not have time to respond to everything you've written since I last posted (and reading pink text hurts my eyes at night... rofl)... but to your "Blaming it on Real Life"? Essentially, yes. I was. I quit being a panelist when I made the choice of not following every tournament since that would mean missing data. If there is time, I wouldn't mind discussing this in person at PS5.
That's exactly what I advocated people in this situation should do, so good stuff imo in recognizing your real-life priorities and preventing them from interfering with the responsibilities of the panel.

My post on the topic of real-life interference:
...Your individual votes are a very small part of the problem, it's the makeup of the season and the obvious ability for corruption to occur. If tough times prevented you from looking over credentials enough... Alright. I think you should have passed on being a panel member for this season (like I did over the summer). But that's whatever...

SoulPech

Smash Master
i don't understand why anyone would interpret this as fighting, so there's no need for Carls to say those things. I'm just expressing my opinion on the PR. I honestly feel that MX should be above KB and Sneaky based on the results...however, the Criteria that was set (like Return of the Mack wasn't counted towards the PR) doesn't match that. Also, it wasn't mentioned that the Ranbats wouldn't count towards the PR, but it also wasn't mentioned it would either (doesn't really bother me too much about this). Like I said, if it was mentioned at the beginning, then I would not have gone to so many of them like I would.

I'm not holding a grudge over this issue. Granted, I'm upset, but not angry. If the panels have a criteria they follow, then they follow it. I disagree with it, but I'm not on the Panel so it doesn't matter.

Kel

Smash Master
I personally feel MX and Carls should be above Shugo because it wasn't explicitly stated that the Ranbats don't count for 10 tournaments. I'm changing my vote.

MX778

Smash Journeyman
I don't mean any tension either if I implied any. Just (much like everyone else here) want to get things all figured out.

Also Kel/KB, I suppose I can give the the panel a shot. Just be sure to help me out pl0x.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
This thread is ridiculous, but I mean... some of the passive-aggressiveness aside (mine included) it's probably good that this came up now.

As for me wanting to be a panelist/declining/etc (as if it really matters), it's mostly been a string of unfortunate events, I guess. When I've expressed interest before, it's been ignored and then when it comes up, I'm doing other things with my life (ex: last time Keister asked me) or something particularly ****ty happens in it. Oh well.

That being said, as a final statement from me before I ignore this thread for a bit as it's seemed to mostly come to a conclusion, if you will have me, I am willing/want to volunteer time to be a panelist.

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS RANBATS DISCUSSIONS.

Don't you guys understand that people only play smash brothers brawl if they can win money for it? No one enjoys the game ya dummies.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I don't understand why a ranking battle wouldn't count towards ranking :p

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Then by definition it's not a ranking battle no?

You enter under the assumption that if affects ranking, without the economic consequences attached for money.
It's sad to me people would not take them as seriously when the only thing that's on the line is pride in one's craft and ability.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
i don't understand why a ranking battle wouldn't count towards ranking :p
then by definition it's not a ranking battle no?

You enter under the assumption that if affects ranking, without the economic consequences attached for money.
It's sad to me people would not take them as seriously when the only thing that's on the line is pride in one's craft and ability.
1000000000000%

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I think AZ should create a new color for smashboards and just make a private forum called "old fogeys". Make one for Melee and one for Brawl, and we're the only ones that can post there. All we do is complain about the new bloods and how things used to be (or in the case of Melee, Brawl). The forum is public but no one but the old fogeys can post.

Top Bottom