• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Marth Video Critique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonicario

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the advice BacklashMarth and Ragnarok17, I guess I'll work on my weak point, spacing. And I'll use dancing blade some more.

I haven't completely mastered Marth's moveset, I can't utilize it at its fullest as of now, so uhm, Ill just practice using Marth more.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
I got one coming for you guys, it's processing =]

And it's a Marth ditto (oh joy) between me and Punishment Divine at GT 6.13.09, Counter is broken btw =P

[EDIT] Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk7Xea4Ck6I
Thanks for your review, helped me a lot. As for yourself:

- Less fsmash, low % fsmashes are useless.

- Less counter (but I guess you got that :p)

- Moar pummels, I barely see you pummel.

- Ledge game needs a bit of work, fair > nair when your opponent is the one to recover because it beats both ledge jumps and ledge hops.

- Perhaps more DS OoS, but I don't know whether or not it was applicable in that match.

- Try to be less defensive when you have your opponent cornered.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Thanks for the advice BacklashMarth and Ragnarok17, I guess I'll work on my weak point, spacing. And I'll use dancing blade some more.

I haven't completely mastered Marth's moveset, I can't utilize it at its fullest as of now, so uhm, Ill just practice using Marth more.
Best thing for you to do is to go into practice mode, and just fling attacks, you'll get it.

@Lord Chair: NP, and thanks for your advice, even though its a psuedo-serious friendly, your suggestions still apply.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Best thing for you to do is to go into practice mode, and just fling attacks, you'll get it.
Yeah this is actually a good idea XD. And whenever I play WiFi matches, I try to get as many hits as possible on the sandbag (tippered attacks), so that my "memory" will be refreshed and I can tipper easier during the match.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Steve

Your reaction time is poor.
You spam fsmash. STUPENDOUS AMOUNTS OF SMASH.
You seem to not have any direct thought process nor strategy going on whilst playing.
You don't space.
You use shield breaker horribly.
As a result of reaction time you aren't perfect shielding things as you should be.
Your shield habits are perculiar (inefficient) and you keep yourself in them for too long.
You roll weirdly too, Marth does not have a good roll.
You sh airdodge too much...
You dancing blade shields constantly and keep going and get punished hard for it.
You just don't seem to have any idea about timings, purpose of moves, or anything other than "it hits around this time, let's hope he runs into it". e.g. just jumping off the stage and dying whilst trying to gimp someone with a fair that's not even NEAR YOU.

VGSteve

Smash Apprentice
My reaction time is absolutely horrendous. There is no connection between what I think and what I actually do, and these videos definitely show this. As much as I need to work around what moves should/shouldn't be used, my poor timing is causing my greatest downfall in my opinion.

I think my play style resembles a mess of bad habits I formed at the beginning of this game's lifetime, mixing certain things I did with other characters (rolling with Lucario), plus weird timing and spacing issues based off of the time I spent playing Marth in Melee. Usually with a little practice I get better, but any extended period of time spent away from the game causes me to suffer for it and it shows.

That and sometimes I play just plain stupidly...

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Yeah, if it's bad habits, then you should be able to fix em easily just by playing Marth more. May be you just need more experience with Marth to get the "flow" right. Oh and also, to help your bad reactions, try not to lean back while playing Brawl lol. I'm not too sure if this helps, but my reactions tend to dumb down when i don't sit upright XD.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
This is a little embarassing for me to watch now, but I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78d2tbIsmSw
No worries. =] We all have to start somewhere.
Everyone who was godly at brawl when they started because of experience in other fighters kindly stfu.

-Make sure you finish you DB if you hit them with the first two hits. You're sacrificing damage!
-Try not to roll so much.
-If you're going to use Dair on stage, full hop it to avoid the lag.
-Work on your spacing. Go against a level 3 computer and practice only get tippers when you approach.
-Learn to Dolphin Slash out of your shield. It's incredibly helpful.
-Keep working on it.

=]

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
yeah, thats how marth beats tink. you should be aggressive in more matches than just this though, most of them you should be attacking. only a handful should you play more campy.

looked fine to me though besides a little body placement issues

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Please critique my marth. I'm on a mission to become best Marth :o.
I won't let you be the best on my WATCH! :lick:

0:08 - On first few seconds I see a mistake which gave you a LARGE opening for Toon Link to start damaging racking. He for whatever reason decided to jump forward instead of being like 'hey he's above me trying to move behind me... hmmm my upsmash would be pretty sexy'... You didn't get punished but it was a mistake to approach this way.

- You seem to like living on the verge of 'death' by weaving around Toon Link's head whilst in the air. Your reactions seem reasonably well off that you Jumped appropriately to avoid a hit; but this is not going to end well if the opponent catches on.

0:46 - You're jumping a bit too much; this isn't aggressive, this is showing a lack of patience.

0:50 - You like dtilt, but I think you should learn to use jab as well; which would have been better here (most likely stopping the nair hitting).

0:53 - Full hop... right into TL's bombs... yeah, there are too many full hops going on.

0:57 - If you're forced to airdodge, ALWAYS move away, there is no reason to give your opponent a free hit like you did here.

1:01 - Use DB1 to stall you slightly, plus using shieldbreaker that low to the ground wasn't the smartest thing... You're aiming to land on TL's head too much...

1:14 - Learn to use Marth's dash. The full hops into TL's good zones and Marth's bad ones is a reoccuring problem when you could just DASH (as he jumped) into a perfect shield.

1:19 - Your spacing is also quite off. I think you seem to misinterprit what aggressive is for Marth, it doesn't mean giving up your spacing so you're constantly getting hit whilst also hitting your opponent. You should be moving away in the air if you're that close, or fast fall to an uair.

<1:32 - Very nice.

1:40 - Back air shouldn't be an approach; it should be a reaction or used whilst both of you are in the air...

1:45 - Shield more appropriately with Marth. I'm not saying live in it, but you shouldn't be not using it at all if TL is on top of you when you're on the ground.

2:10ish - You're extending yourself too far in the hope of gimping. You were better off after the first tipper fair, to start going for edge drop bairs. Unneeded stock loss.

-

Second Match:

3:19 - For every time you go for a dair, reavaluating whether or not a back air would have been more appropriate would do you good.

3:38 - This is happening quite a bit. I know you're reasonably confident and outclass your opponent quite a bit, but doing silly things like this cost you unnecessary damage and maybe a stock.

4:05 - A much better and more effective option of gimping TL... edge hog... react.

-

Third Match:

5:11 - This is why Halberd and Delphino are pretty good stages for Marth. lol

5:30 - Watch out for rolling. It's never good.

5:40 - You don't use dancing blade much, but when you do you stuff it up a bit...

5:55 - This is the shield work I was relating to in the previous matches. It's very effective and it isn't exactly taking away from you being aggressive.

6:37 - Why going for Dairs is a very very very VERY bad idea. Too much arrogance from you to do something like this.

6:46 - Shield if TL is behind you.

6:51 - Fair swats the boomerang, this was completely your fault + air dodging towards the ledge... so you're under TL...

7:12 - How good is it when you don't jump into the **** but get into TL's spacing by just walking through his ****?

Overall
Work on the jumping habits.
Your nair and fair usage is quite good; however too many dairs. You need to work on replacing dair with bair appropriately. You didn't use uair much, but there weren't too many opportunities for when it was called for but you may want to have that worked into your game.
You don't DB much, style quirk? Match up quirk?
Your reactions to crossovers could do with some work, you unshield if someone falls behind your back pretty quickly, it isn't good for your health.
Your DB1 pressure was good.
You need to be more careful with how you place yourself above opponents (usually in, before or after an air dodge) to avoid pain...

Lee Martin

Smash Ace
Thx for the detailed critique. I'ma keep all of this in mind. I was on a very dair happy day and a little too confident. Hyro and I just do this matchup a lot. I really appreciate it though i don't agree with a couple of the things you stated. lol. I tend to just do many random things in Brawl in general, even if it isn't always the best option.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Anything in particular that you wanted to flesh out?
I'm definitely no mind reader (even though I often try while watching vids); your thought processes could be quite different (original word wasn't right) to the way I think, it definitely comes down to style.

I tend to point out reoccuring things that didn't always end well. But I'm glad you don't agree, it's the lower levels of Marth players that agree whole-heartedly (well some don't, obviously) as they still haven't reached a good enough understanding of Smash.

Anyway...

TreK

Is "that guy"
ohai
It's not like I'm new to marth, been seconding him for almost 5 months now, but I still suck imo, so better marths telling me what to train/stop doing could be a great way to level up :V
Only one vid this far (in fact it's supposed to be a test of my capture card)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpJ0q51lWUI&feature=channel_page
advice n°1 -> stop playing wifi. Plz don't spam that I already know 8D

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
ohai
It's not like I'm new to marth, been seconding him for almost 5 months now, but I still suck imo, so better marths telling me what to train/stop doing could be a great way to level up :V
Only one vid this far (in fact it's supposed to be a test of my capture card)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpJ0q51lWUI&feature=channel_page
advice n°1 -> stop playing wifi. Plz don't spam that I already know 8D
I thought I saw way too many badly placed DB's. There were also a lot of moves that you would randomly use like when you just randomly started charging shieldbreaker on the platform when you could have been on getting ready to punish Ike's ledge options after that Aether. You might want to work on using counter a lot less.

Even though you can counter Aether, you shouldn't rely on hitting or interrupting them at recovering if the Aether's sword throwing portion hits you while you are throwing yourself off-stage. And also, the damage is not worth the risk of making yourself disadvantaged since you are now forced to work with ledge options while Ike is waiting to punish you when you could have done that to Ike. Your opponent wasn't good at punishing your other counters you placed (partially because he also spammed it...) but I would say you should cut the habit before someone comes up and starts owning you because of it. I would understand if your contering a recovery like Ness's where it's a guarantee that they would get hit if you counter it for massive damage but try to not run risky scenarios with it

Also, that sequence at 2:41 where Ike started juggling you, you should have aerial dodged or second jumped to avoid that last hit. Also, you never should try to use Marth's dair to get back down on the ground, it really isn't good for that purpose.

That's all I found to be off with your Marth. Maybe someone else can find more but that's what I saw.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
was that the thing where he jumped up, did a hit of dancing blade into Fair?

I liked that.

It looked pretty cool.

Brawl is all about looking cool.

You get more points if you look cool without wings or grenades.

(end post)
^THIS

(end post)

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Hey didn't know you use CAKE! as a profile... you were that Diddy in EVO right? (or was it Midwest Circuit Tourny? idk the name...) you were the one that fought count?

Anyway, first match at 3:45 if you did a Up B instead of just falling, you probably would have survived cus of that ghost platform thing to the right...
Remember not to give up :) There's always a chance of surviving, whether it be if the opponent dumbly hits you back up or some glitch or other wierd thing XD. And especially with that map cus of the ghost platform... but you probably already understand this.

Edit: Nvm you answered my question on youtube :).

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
I got this one.

0:38 - Bad ledge spacing, you eat an Uair
0:42 - Even though you got the grab, a DB after that first spotdodge woulda been better. But then again, it worked xD
0:47 - Fsmash a DDD spotdodge? No chance. Better of DBing. You get grabbed.
2:31 - Risky move on the ledge. You eat a Dsmash.
3:09 - You jumped into his spotdodge, bad positioning. You get the Utilt.
3:40 - Same reason and punishment, however you mistimed your AD.

Overall good play, you clearly knew what to do in certain situations, applied good pressure, and spaced well. However, you Fsmash'd his spotdodge, which a DB clearly would handle.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
0:20 - A grab? Wtf? That recovery was quite predictable, you coulda Usmash'd him out of it.
1:05 - Bad spacing, you trade hits, and you get the worst of it.
1:12 - Whiffed Usmash after a shielded Nair? Not safe, or the best option at all.
1:15 - Baited UpB, shoulda waited a litle more.
1:48 - No ledgeguard? That would've been his stock, you had enough invincibilty.
2:04 - A DB/Fair would've been alot more rewarding and safer.
2:23 - WHYYYYYYY???? You spaced yourself perfectly to punish his phantasm, but you jump? q_q
2:29 - Uneccessary full hop.
2:45 - If only he would've punished that whiffed counter, it'd be your stock.
2:49 - A Bair to momentum cancel? Fair is faster, meaning better.
2:57 - Uneccesary spot dodge, oyu get punished.

I'll critique this aswell.

0:06 - Miscommunication? lol
0:17 - Fishing for grabs = bad. You could've got the DB, but instead you get grabbed.
0:46 - Your aggressive approaches finally reached their peake here, as you mispaced your Fair, causing the punish.
1:15 - Messed up your Air Grab Release timing, you should patch that up.
1:40 - whiffed 9and predictable) counter, you lose the stock.

Eazy, your really good, however you might want to rethink what to use in some situations (such as move choice, movement & positioning, punishment etc).

MEU

Smash Rookie
Here's a video of my marth=)... just give me everything you got=)... the video's a little bad but thats cause my videocamera needs firewire... which i only got on the only computer i got that dont work...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B01emN9tGKc

Not sure if you want my opinion, but here's what i think:

I think you could've survived falcon's rush if you used dolphin slash. The stun appeared to be off by then, to me.
I usually use u-tilt instead of usmash when they're on the ledge, it kills quicker.
Try getting up off the ledge in different ways.
Nothing else in particular that i saw.

EDIT: try gimping with Fair instead of constant use of Dair.
Also try fast falling your attacks, speeds up your game.

Tari

Smash Apprentice
Here's a video of my marth=)... just give me everything you got=)... the video's a little bad but thats cause my videocamera needs firewire... which i only got on the only computer i got that dont work...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B01emN9tGKc
Now I'm probably one of the more fail Marths on the board, but I wanted to try and give some input, and others can correct me on this if I give poor information. >_>;

0:22 - Why? You could have got for an fsmash(?) since it takes like a split second for Falcon to use his side b. A perfectly spaced fsmash would have been safer, since if you hit it, you could have dealt damage to him and might have killed him (Dunno, I don't know if he was at killing percentage), or if you missed, you'd still be safe as Falcon would have grabbed the ledge.. I think or at least landed with lag.

0:35 - Why air dodge? Personally, I probably would have just stayed there, or maybe a back air. But then again I'm not one of the best marths, or probably even that good.

0:41 - you walked into his fsmash; better alternative might have been a fair, d-tilt, nair(?)

1:35 - Wasted counter. He could have waited and got a easy hit on you while you were in lag.

2:15 - Panicked? If you had waited a bit after db1, you could have ds back up to the stage and lived.

3:19 - Eh. Fsmash might have worked? But usmash is also a good option.

3:31 - Two wasted counters.

Fast fall your attacks; more db; more nair; and try to read your opponent, he uses side b a lot to recover so predict it and punish it.

Tari

Smash Apprentice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrBtAXgWxAo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I3CthSyUrg

I don't think i did badly in them, though i know i obviously screwed up recovery wise. Can you guys tell me if you spot anything else that could be improved?
Nicely played, though you did make a few bad choices that I spotted.

First vid:
0:48 - Wasted Counter

1:20 - Whyyyyy?! Too soon and you got punished hard for it.

That's about all; well.. there's the wasted shieldbreakers, but eh.

Second vid:
0:48 - Should have kept your shield up. Or maybe jumped up onto the platform.

1:16 - Yeah.. Brutal.. Marth's fsmash can only be charged for so long, while Jiggs' roll could be held for as long as the player wanted. That said, the player waited out your fsmash then used it. Probably should have ran away lol spaced yourself and shield-grabbed Jiggs out of it.

2:35 - Bad idea.. Personally I never charge any of my smashes anymore..

Overall, nicely played. Just becareful of bad choices.

MEU

Smash Rookie
lol ye i got pretty badly owned by jiggs' roll XD. I was originally gonna try for a non charged fsmash but then he started roll and it was like a mexican stand-off lol.

Thanks though. The reason i charged the smash at 2:35 btw is because it changes up my game and quite a few people fall for it.

Tari

Smash Apprentice
lol ye i got pretty badly owned by jiggs' roll XD. I was originally gonna try for a non charged fsmash but then he started roll and it was like a mexican stand-off lol.

Thanks though. The reason i charged the smash at 2:35 btw is because it changes up my game and quite a few people fall for it.
Mind game? Hmm.. Never thought of that. Clever.

I should probably try putting up my own brawl videos to see what other people would say on how I should improve..

Tari

Smash Apprentice
I'd like a full critique on these. Go ahead and do a general overview if you guys are bored, I don't mind :3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_bch-hFH4c&feature=channel_page
Not sure if I'm all that good at video critiquing but its worth a shot.

2:16 - Why? You missed it and left yourself to being completely open to punishment.
2:18 - You could have kept your shield up and punished him either by DS OoS, or something else.
3:45 - Personally, I felt the DS was extremely risky.. but it worked so nice
4:21 - You nearly got yourself killed. :/ The ROB could have ledge-hogged.
4:37 - He baited out your DS OoS and could have punished you for it, maybe try rolling away? especially since he was side-stepping. Or you could have used DB.

I think it needs more Nair. >>;

0:36 - I wouldn't have gone through the stage, especially because you're left with lag that can be easily punished.
2:56 - Wasted fsmash. I would have dbed.. but that's just me.
4:19 - Learn to DI.

I really like your edge guarding. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom