• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Krystal Thread ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinn

Smash Lord
I must be vain, because the entire reason I pay at all is so I can have my own unique image >.>

For what it's worth, I think Adventures is a good game too if you don't approach it from a "this is a Star Fox game" direction. And Krystal was awesome in the game for what little she was actually utilized. I just keep imagining her being the playable character and how much MORE awesome it would have been...if Nintendo had let Rare do that =c

blueriku

Smash Journeyman
maybe ppl dont like adventures cuz they wanted a "star fox game" really bad and plus they think it rips zelda off. adventures kicks *** seriously the game was not 5/5 but its still i really good game to play.

Brawlman

Smash Ace
That's what I think too! I hate it when people say "ITZ NUT A REUL STER FUX GAM NUB!!!"

Guess what? It has Arwings. It has Fox McCloud. IT HAS PEPPY AND SLIPPY! IT'S A FREAKIN STARFOX GAME!!!

Sinn

Smash Lord
That's what I think too! I hate it when people say "ITZ NUT A REUL STER FUX GAM NUB!!!"

Guess what? It has Arwings. It has Fox McCloud. IT HAS PEPPY AND SLIPPY! IT'S A FREAKIN STARFOX GAME!!!
And the original designs...didn't. Seriously, with as much magical elements that were in the game, did it really feel like Fox fit in? Hell, the final battle was completely changed from General Scales to that Arwing battle simply because of the newly pasted on Star Fox plot that Nintendo forced on Rare. The game was never MEANT to be a Star Fox game, and it showed in the transition.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
And the original designs...didn't. Seriously, with as much magical elements that were in the game, did it really feel like Fox fit in? Hell, the final battle was completely changed from General Scales to that Arwing battle simply because of the newly pasted on Star Fox plot that Nintendo forced on Rare. The game was never MEANT to be a Star Fox game, and it showed in the transition.
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa....

Rare worked on it??? o_O

:urg:

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
You guys might as well say Super Mario Bros. 2 isn't a really Mario game because of the originial design/Japanese Version.
Then again, the elements from that game made an impact on the Mario series (enemies such as Shy Guys and Birdo, the use of keys, Peach's Down B move xP). I mean, same thing with the Starfox series. After Adventures, the events from that game made an impact on the rest of the series.

So what if it wasn't originally meant to be a Starfox game, it turned into one regardless and became part of the Starfox timeline.
Dinosaur Planet (the original name for the N64 game) never existed for all I care.

Lol, you can say Halo isn't really an Xbox game because it was suppposed to come out on the PS2.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa....

Rare worked on it??? o_O

:urg:
yep. it was originally going to be a seperate game for the 64, but Miyamoto saw similarities between it and the star fox game, so they changed characters, did some tweaking, which caused it to go to the gamecube, and that's how star fox adventures was made

krystal for brawl

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
The more I think about it, the more appropriate she seems for brawl.

She seems to be the only main character from Starfox I can think of that wouldn't have to be a fox clone, mainly because of her telepathy.

It seems to just make sense.

Sinn

Smash Lord
You guys might as well say Super Mario Bros. 2 isn't a really Mario game because of the originial design/Japanese Version.
Then again, the elements from that game made an impact on the Mario series (enemies such as Shy Guys and Birdo, the use of keys, Peach's Down B move xP). I mean, same thing with the Starfox series. After Adventures, the events from that game made an impact on the rest of the series.

So what if it wasn't originally meant to be a Starfox game, it turned into one regardless and became part of the Starfox timeline.
Dinosaur Planet (the original name for the N64 game) never existed for all I care.

Lol, you can say Halo isn't really an Xbox game because it was suppposed to come out on the PS2.
The difference is much bigger than that. SMB and SMB2 were both platformers with whimsical enemies. Star Fox is, at its essence, a sci-fi space shooter. Adventures was a fantasy adventure. Two completely different genres and themes. The ONLY things that Adventures has added to Star Fox as a whole are Krystal herself and Sauria.

I'm not arguing that the game currently isn't part of the series. I'm saying that it would have been a better game on its own than trying to shove it into a franchise that has no similarities to the style of game that it already was. Magic does NOT belong in Star Fox.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
The difference is much bigger than that. SMB and SMB2 were both platformers with whimsical enemies. Star Fox is, at its essence, a sci-fi space shooter. Adventures was a fantasy adventure. Two completely different genres and themes. The ONLY things that Adventures has added to Star Fox as a whole are Krystal herself and Sauria.

I'm not arguing that the game currently isn't part of the series. I'm saying that it would have been a better game on its own than trying to shove it into a franchise that has no similarities to the style of game that it already was. Magic does NOT belong in Star Fox.
Its too late now. Just do what Star Trek does: make up some foney technology to explain it. as for the science fiction genre, it can be quite flexible in its content. If I recall, the boss for the solar level in SF64 was a big creature sitting in the photosphere of a star, not exactly ideal contitions for life. (there are more examples in the numerous science fiction novels, I just don't have the patience to list the w/ wii browser) If that can be science fiction, who is to say that SFA is to be excluded from it?

Sinn

Smash Lord
The big thing in Star Fox 64 was that the giant creatures you fought were all referred to as being "bioweapons". I took this t mean that they were creatures that Andross had done genetic mutations to (perhaps ala Phazon in Metroid prime) to the point of becoming what they were. That's halfways believable.

Now, something like a Krazoa SPIRIT is what I find hard to stick a sciencey explanation on. As well as other such similar things in the game.

blueriku

Smash Journeyman
i agree with sinn in sf 64 there bio weapons created from andross, solar's bio weapon is supoose o use the power of solar. in sfa i guess they just wanted to add magic but that magic eventually focuses to krystal and her telepathy powers.

Cenedar

Smash Ace
I liked SFA <<

I really liked it D:

I hope Krystal makes it in
Thank you! Now i don't feel so alone...

Regardless of whether the game started as as Star Fox entry or not is moot at this point. It came out as one and as far as I'm concerned, it's a good entry into the series. Yes, it was vastly different, but think about it this way...

Would Krystal as we know and love her today exist if it HADN'T become Star Fox Adventures? The character might still have been in, but I doubt she'd have been the same personality wise. Just my opinion, though.

Krystal for Brawl

kaid

Smash Master
Well, Metroid is a rather poor example if you're trying to separate Magic from Technoligy. The Chozo merge magic and technoligy, and other races, like the one on Bryyo, separate it.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Well, Metroid is a rather poor example if you're trying to separate Magic from Technoligy. The Chozo merge magic and technoligy, and other races, like the one on Bryyo, separate it.
I was thinking about this, actually. And in my view, I've always seen the Chozo as beings who, after centuries of progress, transcended to a stage that mere mortals can't really comprehend. It was referred to in Metroid Prime 2 that they themselves had the power to manipulate energy...that's pretty high up on the evolutionary scale. I always attributed anything "spiritual" about the Chozo to being their own deeper understanding of how the physical world is really just a shadow that conveys the true immaterial existence that all living things are. Or something like that.

In any case, the race on Bryyo may have referred to it as "magic" but I would seriously doubt that there's no scientific explanation behind the whole thing.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I never saw a problem with stories mixing the idea of magic and technology...in the least it could be a form of Psychokinetics that the people don't understand as anything other than "Magic", goin along with their religious views

Sinn

Smash Lord
I'm not saying it's something that you should totally stay away from. Specifically, Final Fantasy and many other RPGs all have this element of magic and fantasy already in the background and just have their worlds add technology on top of it.

What I AM saying is that it feels weird for Star Fox since the game was, from the get go, supposed to be a more "realistic" sci-fi shooter (sans the fact that the characters are all animals, of course). So there were two and a half purely technology based games (since Star Fox 2 was finished but never released), and then suddenly...look, this universe has magic in it too! What?!

It felt strange and out of place. The game is still good, but the mixing of settings...still not so much of a fan of that.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
Just think Star Trek. There were all sorts of crazy things that they explain with sciences that don't exist. Who is to say that the creatures, beings, devices or anything in SFA cannot be science fictionally explained? You know what? I'll take a crack at it (I haven't played SFA in years so bear with me)

Staff: Exotic and strange weapons are no stranger to the Science Fiction genre. from what I remember about the staff it seems like some kind of matter alteration device. I can go into this more, but I will spare you some boredom.

Krazoa: Energy based beings have existed in many Science Fiction works in the past, a krazoa could easily be one.

Important crystals: it is possible to store vast amounts of data in a crystalline substance by marking it with very precise imperfections, and reading them with a proper mechanism.

Telepathy: it has been done so many times in science fiction, its no biggy

I probably missed something, but you get the point. besides, I seem to recall many science fiction elements in the gameplay. SFA is still within the science fiction genre, even if it has a fantasy action adventure feel.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Which is why we need Micaiah. But Krystal still needs to be in. Wolf WOULD be a Fox clone. Look at all the movesets people have made for him.
Honestly I don't see why star fox couldn't get 4 chars. Sure that seems like a lot since star fox isn't that big but mario had what 6 in melee? could have as many as 10 in brawl (thats counting ones that are not 100% mario chars though like wario and dk)

Starfox does have one thing going for it, the 4 characters suggested are pretty much universally the same four

Fox (duh)
Falco
Krystal
Wolf

you rarely see support for anyone else and usually it's just one or 2 fans. These 4 however are easily the most wanted star fox characters. if they all get in all star fox fans are happy. It's not like mario or zelda where there are lots of debated characters.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Well I mean fox was a given even before he was confirmed.
Falco is actually more popular than even fox.
Krystal's got a lot going for her including being female, weilding a staff and having a moveset that practically writes itself.
That leaves Wolf. He's okay in my opinion, but his inclusion doesn't have priority.

vesperview

Smash Hero
I actually believe that characters like Slippy or Peppy are more crucial to the StarFox series over Wolf, he doesn't have a moveset which means he would slightly borrow Fox's moves, as for Krystal I'm all in for her, she's been a fav since the Adventures days.

I'm not saying it's something that you should totally stay away from. Specifically, Final Fantasy and many other RPGs all have this element of magic and fantasy already in the background and just have their worlds add technology on top of it.

What I AM saying is that it feels weird for Star Fox since the game was, from the get go, supposed to be a more "realistic" sci-fi shooter (sans the fact that the characters are all animals, of course). So there were two and a half purely technology based games (since Star Fox 2 was finished but never released), and then suddenly...look, this universe has magic in it too! What?!

It felt strange and out of place. The game is still good, but the mixing of settings...still not so much of a fan of that.
I think for the Star Fox series to have magic is far from incoherent, I mean Fox explores a lot of planets he's destined to find all kinds of things throughout his journeys plus, is only the staff that has the magic.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Just think Star Trek. There were all sorts of crazy things that they explain with sciences that don't exist. Who is to say that the creatures, beings, devices or anything in SFA cannot be science fictionally explained? You know what? I'll take a crack at it (I haven't played SFA in years so bear with me)

Staff: Exotic and strange weapons are no stranger to the Science Fiction genre. from what I remember about the staff it seems like some kind of matter alteration device. I can go into this more, but I will spare you some boredom.

Krazoa: Energy based beings have existed in many Science Fiction works in the past, a krazoa could easily be one.

Important crystals: it is possible to store vast amounts of data in a crystalline substance by marking it with very precise imperfections, and reading them with a proper mechanism.

Telepathy: it has been done so many times in science fiction, its no biggy

I probably missed something, but you get the point. besides, I seem to recall many science fiction elements in the gameplay. SFA is still within the science fiction genre, even if it has a fantasy action adventure feel.
Your explanation has appeased me. I just hate so much having to fill stuff in like that myself...I guess it's like that one friend I had who hated Chrono Trigger because Crono had no backstory... :: shrug ::

Krystal for Brawl

And everyone get Phantom Hourglass. It rocks my socks in half.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I actually believe that characters like Slippy or Peppy are more crucial to the StarFox series over Wolf, he doesn't have a moveset which means he would slightly borrow Fox's moves, as for Krystal I'm all in for her, she's been a fav since the Adventures days.
While Peppy and slippy may be more crucial to the series, they have far less of a chance getting into Brawl when compared to Wolf. I mean, for one thing, they are far less famous for their space fighting abilities: Peppy is kinda their mascot now and slippy is still primarily a technician. And both put together don't have Wolf's draw. Plus, wolf at least brings something to the game, the whole bad-guy thing. But on the other hand... if none of them get to be an actual character, I could see Slippy as maybe an assist trophy.... then again, who's gonna pilot those arwings on fox stages?

blueriku

Smash Journeyman
wow phantom hourglass is so addicting i can look away........zelda made me confuse about this topic anyway the first prioity of reps from star fox should be falco, krystal and wolf falco most likely "luigified" and more like fox from 64 so for krystal would probably be very unique and wolf could have his own move set but might be hard since wolf and fox almost have the same build. slippy would be unique but he is always over looked poor guy keep getting really lame voice acting that make him sound more lame evretime a game come out and peppy......what would he do also remember hes old you think his old bones can stand up the likes of the falcon punch or zamus whip,or snakes explosives or even sheiks needles ( ewww huh) yea...

Cenedar

Smash Ace
Fourth....page? Fourth page!? FOURTH F***ING PAGE!?!?!?!

This thread must rise from the ashes, there is no bloody way I'm letting it fall to the 4th page of the thread list.

BUMP OF THE GODS!

Krystal for Brawl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom