• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Illinois / Wisconsin Brawl Power Rankings Thread! *NEW UPDATE (1-22-12)*

KenniSpam!

Smash Master
apple cinnamon>frosted cheerios

frosted flakes are good but if you dont chew them they scratch your throat real bad ;I

edit: why are all the best cereals dead or dying? ;[

Akashi

Smash Lord
Zwarm said:
Give me a better reason besides Kennispam to not make a WI/IL PR, or it looks like it might happen.
Arty is still undecided, and we haven't gotten Rob's opinion, or Quik and Ook. Also, almost all of WI doesn't want a PR. So why would we add them in, if they don't want it to begin with? What's the real reason behind it? To "combine" the two states? That doesn't seem like a good reason.

_Kain_

Smash Champion
Kenni banned from PR cause he has posted 3 **** cereals. 3 strikes you out

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Kakauna doesn't want it.

Waukesha does.

YoshQ just doesn't want Kenni on it lol.

Smacks Cereal > Golden Grahams, that bear has always creeped me the **** out, but the frog is legit.
[yt]sUjIP4ZT450[/yt]

[yt]py7-BDebmD4[/yt]

I'm not seeing it. :/

edit: Lol Kain.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Arty is still undecided, and we haven't gotten Rob's opinion, or Quik and Ook. Also, almost all of WI doesn't want a PR. So why would we add them in, if they don't want it to begin with? What's the real reason behind it? To "combine" the two states? That doesn't seem like a good reason.
2/3 active players in WI aren't against it. We haven't gotten Sponge's opinion yet. Having more people means more competition, and more pride when people make it on. Is there a problem with competition? I honestly feel like you just don't want this because of Kennispam.

Hunger and Marshall =/= almost all of WI, btw.

Akashi

Smash Lord
2/3 active players in WI aren't against it. We haven't gotten Sponge's opinion yet. Having more people means more competition, and more pride when people make it on. Is there a problem with competition? I honestly feel like you just don't want this because of Kennispam.

Hunger and Marshall =/= almost all of WI, btw.
You're wrong that it's because I don't want Kenni on it - the reasons I brought up prior are more of an annoyance to me than anything. Also, let's skip the ratios for now please, because we don't know what everyone thinks yet. :)

Zwarm said:
Is there a problem with competition?
Competition in what sense? Let's break this down. Our monthlies are set in WI, so that attracts the WI crowd. Then we have EoL, which only a few WI ever attend (Sponge and Ryu). Then we have OoS/OoR, which only a few WI ever attend (Sponge, Ryu, and sometimes Yoshq). When it comes down to consistency in competition, it's mainly IL. Having Marshall/Grimace on top of the PR won't make us want to beat them more... at least, not the players who are ranked atm; and nor will adding them on add any incentive to do better in any tourney. When you look at the top 3 at MOST of our tournaments, it's the same people switching in and out - Arty/Sago/Kain/Marshall.

Zwarm said:
and more pride when people make it on.
More pride? Please explain. To be blunt, we'll have a consistent top 3 that may switch in and out depending on activity, placings, or overall performance. I'M NOT SAYING THAT'S A BAD THING, but it's the truth. 4~7th will be tough, so the pride is mainly there (in terms of who's better than who). Then we'll have a skill gap, just like 1~3/4~7, and we'll fall into the same scenario we've always had. When IL was at its prime in terms of attendance, this same thing played out. We don't need to add in WI to increase pride or competition, we just need more activity (which we've had so far).

In short, adding WI, to me, isn't adding competition for us. I'm sure it'll help them, I guess, but to what extent? I can't answer that because I'm not them, so I'd like to hear their answer.

I'm sure I made some sort of error in there, so feel free to point it out :D

Zwarm

Smash Hero
You're wrong that it's because I don't want Kenni on it - the reasons I brought up prior are more of an annoyance to me than anything. Also, let's skip the ratios for now please, because we don't know what everyone thinks yet. :)
Yeah, lets stop assuming other people's opinions if we can.

Competition in what sense? Let's break this down. Our monthlies are set in WI, so that attracts the WI crowd. Then we have EoL, which only a few WI ever attend (Sponge and Ryu). Then we have OoS/OoR, which only a few WI ever attend (Sponge, Ryu, and sometimes Yoshq). When it comes down to consistency in competition, it's mainly IL. Having Marshall/Grimace on top of the PR won't make us want to beat them more... at least, not the players who are ranked atm; and nor will adding them on add any incentive to do better in any tourney. When you look at the top 3 at MOST of our tournaments, it's the same people switching in and out - Arty/Sago/Kain/Marshall.
Wouldn't you be more proud to say you're 5th in a PR with 30 active players instead of like the, what, 14 we had last PR? (Assuming our inactive players come back this PR)

More pride? Please explain. To be blunt, we'll have a consistent top 3 that may switch in and out depending on activity, placings, or overall performance. I'M NOT SAYING THAT'S A BAD THING, but it's the truth. 4~7th will be tough, so the pride is mainly there (in terms of who's better than who). Then we'll have a skill gap, just like 1~3/4~7, and we'll fall into the same scenario we've always had. When IL was at its prime in terms of attendance, this same thing played out. We don't need to add in WI to increase pride or competition, we just need more activity (which we've had so far).

In short, adding WI, to me, isn't adding competition for us. I'm sure it'll help them, I guess, but to what extent? I can't answer that because I'm not them, so I'd like to hear their answer.

I'm sure I made some sort of error in there, so feel free to point it out :D
You're looking at this from a very biased and close minded perspective is what I'm getting from reading this. You're looking at this from your own perspective, as a person already on the PR. What about people not on it like me? I would LOVE to be part of the top 10, even with the skill gap. I almost made it on the PR as an HM because of how inactive we were last PR, and I had one legit win all season. That makes no sense to me. We need more people to compete with, so when people who want to make it on the PR actually do make it on, they feel that much better about it, especially when we add WI's players into the mix. It makes the top 10 THAT much harder to make, and drives up competition. I would've been ashamed of IL to have made it on last PR, because of how bad I place, consistently.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
I just came back from fun talking about random things, then trix. Now drama?
Oh lawdy...

Reese's Puffs all day mutha****as.

And oh my god, it's 2:16am and I'm awake. Wtf is this.
I DON'T SLEEP MOTHA****A OFF THAT YACK AND THAT DURBIN
DOING ONE-TWENTY, GETTIN HEAD WHILE I'M SWERVIN.

Akashi

Smash Lord
Zwarm said:
Wouldn't you be more proud to say you're 5th in a PR with 30 active players instead of like the, what, 14 we had last PR? (Assuming our inactive players come back this PR)
Not at all. It doesn't matter if there's 14 or 30... it's the competition behind the numbers. Adding more people to an imaginary list (because these numbers aren't going to add/go away if we bring them to our PR) won't give me a boost of pride or competitive spirit, and that's where I'm holding my argument.

Zwarm said:
You're looking at this from a very biased and close minded perspective is what I'm getting from reading this. You're looking at this from your own perspective, as a person already on the PR. What about people not on it like me?
Let me quote the first post I made in this thread (to reference, it's on page 1)

Akashi said:
Quik definitely deserves #1, but Ook can easily contest him for it. I'm back into the scene, and I'm trying to push Kirk up the ranks. I don't care about rankings though, I just want others who aren't on the list to not worry about being on it. Don't even care about the honorable mentions, just keep playing to improve yourself (or whatever goal you have) :)
I don't care about being on the PR, or where I am. When I switched over to Marth awhile ago, I kept making jokes about how I'd be an HM. To me, being on the list is just the icing on the proverbial cake, and it only provides a guideline on the player's accomplishment. You should never stop trying to beat the best, nor should you ever stop trying to beat yourself.

Going on THAT track of thought, you may think I'm close-minded... but in reality, I'm trying to portray what happens in competitive communities. There's a skill-gap that bottlenecks, and thus creates a "tier" of good players, which trickles down and creates tiers below them (ie: my 1~3 tier, 4~7th tier, and 8~10th tier). I didn't get on the PR because I accepted my tier... I got better by practicing, and overcoming my own plateaus - thus, I entered a different tier. They were through the IL community, and also partly to WI, but if the PR was WIL back when I made my way onto the scene, it wouldn't of mattered. I beat both WIL on my way to getting better, and the ONLY thought I had back then was I needed to get better than I was yesterday. Oh, and for Kirk to not beat me going Random <.<;.

So basically what I'm saying is... if you think a WIL PR will help you become more motivated and, thus, become a better player... it may to an extent, but there's a lot more you need to figure out for you to break your own barrier.

Zwarm said:
I would LOVE to be part of the top 10, even with the skill gap. I almost made it on the PR as an HM because of how inactive we were last PR, and I had one legit win all season. That makes no sense to me. We need more people to compete with, so when people who want to make it on the PR actually do make it on, they feel that much better about it, especially when we add WI's players into the mix. It makes the top 10 THAT much harder to make, and drives up competition. I would've been ashamed of IL to have made it on last PR, because of how bad I place, consistently.
I already brought up that attendance was bad last season, and that this season is bringing a lot of great competition. We normally have no problem making a list, and we also have enough for a few HMs.

Sorry if this is a little rushed, talking to DLA/setting up some wifi with him! Tell me if I worded something incorrectly, etc, please

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I never said WIL becoming one will make me more motivated, I'm already motivated to get on, I'd just be more proud to make it on when we have an even better top 10. Honestly, you just sound like someone who doesn't want to lose their PR spot by having better players join in, thus moving you down a "tier", even if that's not what you intend to say.

Wisconsin IS our competition, believe it or not. They don't even have enough active players to make a top 5 at this point. When they come to our tournaments do we count them as OoS? No, they're regulars just like we all are. We have joint WI/IL tournaments, so why not just have a joint WI/IL PR? It's not hurting us in any way is it?

Kyle, you're not even gRape anymore, you can't be a legend.

Akashi

Smash Lord
Zwarm said:
I never said WIL becoming one will make me more motivated, I'm already motivated to get on, I'd just be more proud to make it on when we have an even better top 10. Honestly, you just sound like someone who doesn't want to lose their PR spot by having better players join in, thus moving you down a "tier", even if that's not what you intend to say.
If you really believe that, then if the next PR doesn't have WIL, I will disqualify myself from the PR :D. I will even go as far as allowing myself to be 4th seed

Zwarm

Smash Hero
You said to let you know if you worded anything incorrectly, and I let you know that you sound like someone that doesn't want to lose their spot. I didn't say you had to do that. And no, I won't allow that, because you'd just **** up the seeding even more than it usually is.

Akashi

Smash Lord
I didn't word that incorrectly, you're taking it out of context. Those tiers are there with or without the PR. The PR creates the visible guideline, that's all. If we were to add WI to our PR, the tiers would still exist, but our "visible" guideline would alter because we're adding in more "numbers". Like I said in an earlier post, I would like to see what WI has to think about how it'll affect their competitiveness.

edit: I'm starting to lose my train of thought, and my wording is terrible now. I need sleep, but I'll talk more about this tomorrow if you want Zwarm. Night! :)

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
The IL power ranking panel has several of the most distinguished smashers in the state, who observe and impartially weigh results to form a comprehensive list of the state's best players.

But can they see why kids LOVE Cinnamon Toast Crunch?!

Arty says: It has spicy cinnamon swirls in every bite, yo!

ook

Smash Lord
I'm all for the WI/IL PR!

Akashi, maybe you don't care about your spot on the PR (only see it as icing on the cake, not motivation) but I know personally whenever I play Arty, Kain, or some other good player in tournament, I think "oh man... this is my chance to go up on the PR." It's definitely in my thoughts during the match.

I assume anyone in WI who wants a PR is the same way.

Akashi you seem to enjoy the more abstract stuff about self-improvement ("overcoming your own plateaus" and simply getting "better" than you were yesterday).
But some people like the tangible stuff (numbers on the list) to measure it - even though they represent the same thing.

It is nice for some people to have that extra thing at stake. Don't see why we should keep that from them just because they live an hour too far north.

also

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I have that same mentality Ook.
Too bad your opinion doesn't matter because you're not in the PR BRoom. :troll:
<3
Ook pretty much put how I feel into better words.

So now from the PR, we have:

Arty - Undecided
Akashi - No
Ook - Yes
Zwarm - Yes

Hmmm...

MachinegunNorm

Smash Lord
that was hilarious tom.

and i personally don't care if we combind or not but i'd say it makes more sense to have wisconsin than it does southern illinois because we end up playing more with wisconsin than we do with ripple.

Top Bottom