• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Illinois / Wisconsin Brawl Power Rankings Thread! *NEW UPDATE (1-22-12)*

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
I just caught up with all the real talk.

Quite honestly, I don't know what to think, but looking at Akashi's argument, I more or less agree that there is no real point. In the end, 4-7 is more likely to be achieved than 1-3 ever will, simply because of how much higher those 3 are. This isn't to say I don't want a merged IL+WI or a Chicagoland PR, but I do think the very idea of a PR has lost its usefulness.

Let me explain. This very thing happened to us when we were ordering for Waukesha back when we had much more activity. Waukesha's PR eventually ended up being tiers instead of an actual ranking, because in reality, that's what it was. It was always a match between Kennispam and MagicJosh for GFs.

IL seems to have gone the same way, with its top 3 reigning quite clearly over the rest but not each other, and the middle of the pack the same way, just sort of exchanging hands. I think a tier list is always better than a PR simply because it conveys more information than a simple PR ever could. 1-10 doesn't distinguish between the ranks other than > or <. Tiers show, on a competitive scale, distance between individuals.

For example, S consisting of Kain, Arty, and Sago, A consists of DLA, Akashi, and JJ, B consisting of Kappy, Kirk, and Ripple, and so on. Wouldn't be limited to just 3 per, but I'm not going to start going into how to sort your PR :p Using this system, there'd also be room to add more people in for the lower tiers. It's also all around easier to know how you stack up to the competition and the extents of the tier you're trying to break from. Ultimately, the mission is the same, it's just not quite as limited to an arbitrary number.

Pros

+ Less debate on who is better than who.
+ Easier understanding of personal goals.
+ Less "I have to beat X!" more "I need to be better than XYZ!"
+ More people listed, less people left wondering how they scale in other's eyes.

Cons

- More time potentially spent by the panelists due to increased player size.
- Inconsistent results could cause a fluctuation with certain players between updates.
- Possible drama ("I'm way better than X!" etc) Only seeing that being something that the lower tiers would even worry about though, lol.

Probably more cons, I just can't think of them considering I'm the one that thought of it and am biased towards the idea in general.

In general though, I don't see any reason to not have a combined PR, though I see no benefit for IL to do so. I just personally want it.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
The problem Sponge, is when it becomes just individuals left for someone to tackle. Like think of it this way. If DLA has the capabilites to beat everyone BUT Kain then it becomes who beats who more consistently, aka ratios. Now let's say, for some weird reason DLA can beat
Arty, 80% of the time
Sago, 50% of the time
Kirk, 30% of the time
Ook, 50% of the time
Akashi, 40% of the time

This would go against the tier argument, because DLA can perform vastly better against the top tier than the high tier (Kain being the outlier) Reasonings behind this could be any number of things ranging from personal matchups (player to player, meaning playstyles, clutch factor, etc), Character Matchups (DLA's Pika has a good matchup with Arty's MK/Falco as an example) This isn't just to say a comparison between S and A tier, because realistically, it could happen from any tier vs another. Because of who he beats and loses to, it would be hard to place him accurately, although it would be reasonable to put him in A because of inconsistency, but it greatly deters from a big gap between tiers as it is, meaning that A and S would not be a distinguishable line.

Player A beats Player B, Player B beats Player C, does this mean that Player A will beat Player C? No it doesn't.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Sponge that also breaks the tier system. Clear definition of tiers means that the #2 would have to be > Player X who would have to be better than #10 in order to maintain itself.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Kenni let's do a sheik/zelda vs Pika $MM next time we meet. I gotchu this time.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Hey Jared, what's your favorite ecchi picture ever?

Post it here so all of us can see it.

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
Why are you tryin' to get me banned again? Sadface. :(

Besides I don't have a favorite. I could go into detail why, but I'll save that detail for irl where infractions can't happen. ;3

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Next pack of uncooked ramen noodles that Jared eats...

he done

Top Bottom