• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Ice Climbers' Video Thread

ch33s3

Smash Lord
LOL whatever, you didn't lose pools on purpose at all.
Y'know, after taking you guys out, getting you free drinks, and all that, the least you could do is NOT BLOW MY SPOT YOU JERK.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Y'know, after taking you guys out, getting you free drinks, and all that, the least you could do is NOT BLOW MY SPOT YOU JERK.
Lol at least people know you have pride <3.

Roller

Smash Legend
I just realized you can still watch vids in 1911 format if you link it with that codec at the end of it. =o

Also, you pummeled them after the first grab everytime, if he were a good masher he would be able to escape. Easily. Nice pivotgrab out of nado at the end. That's what I like to see. ;)

2-DJeff

Smash Master
I just realized you can still watch vids in 1911 format if you link it with that codec at the end of it. =o

Also, you pummeled them after the first grab everytime, if he were a good masher he would be able to escape. Easily. Nice pivotgrab out of nado at the end. That's what I like to see. ;)
i know hes not a good masher so i took advantage of it ;) but thanks!

Roller

Smash Legend
Good stuff man, I can see improvement from your last vid. Your ICs are definitely different than US ones stylistically. Next time win the tourney. ;]

Smoom77

Smash Master
Ok mind if I give some advice?

Nair more. You often just run in for a grab, but almost every time you get fsmashed. Try doing a falling nair, or run up and then do a retreating nair. FH nair also has good priority so it's good against lots of moves.

Stop using squall so much. You recovered most of the time with squall. You got punished very often. Stop squalling, more belay to the ledge. He can't do anything while you're on ye ledge, but you can squall from the ledge, jump and blizzard, ledgedrop~uair. Just mix up your recovery.

Use more squall when you're being juggled. All you did was try to airdodge to the ground, and that's basically what Wario is excellent at punishing. If you're drifting to the left, do a surprise squall to the right to escape.

Keep nana with you at all times. Don't do FH blizzards, because he can easily separate you. You can do SH blizzards under short platforms, but only a few because he'll use sideB through it. Never let nana away.

You played very well though. Nice job

Exdeath

Smash Master
I felt like you would have stopped a lot of his pressure if you started Usmashing/Nairing OoS and buffering SDI out of Dair when he was using Dair/Uair mix-ups on your shield (which he was using in a mostly set pattern, anyway). If you Usmash OoS and start SDIng out of his Dair, he'll get hit if he uses Uair/Bite, Fair/Bair will hit and you'll have bad DI, and Dair will allow you to SDI out and do anything to him (Nana will get separated, though). I typically think of Wario's Dair as an aerial and mobile Pikachu Dsmash. What will happen when he air dodge will obviously vary widely on timing.

2-DJeff

Smash Master
idk about nair smoom i have a bro that plays wario that can beat me and when i nari him and its not sweet spotted i get punished pretty bad.
and recovering with squall is always the best option. wario can fair, fart or wait till you hit the ground and fsmash it. its very easy fo him to fart and fair of edge because of his areial momentum. the sweet spot nair is good though. if you just space back air he also gets ***** by that. wario weakness like with every one is bair like no lie. IC bair, Gnw bair. ROB bair. Peach bair, MK bair, snakes Bair. use bair alot and desync bair to.

Smoom77

Smash Master
Well don't use it predictably. Or at really low percents at bad situation.

Also, I like using bair a lot. Not sure when I do though. Just try it out.

2-DJeff

Smash Master
Well don't use it predictably. Or at really low percents at bad situation.

Also, I like using bair a lot. Not sure when I do though. Just try it out.
yes bair is good do it its your friend against wario but lol @ dont be predictable with it dude its a 50/50 chance off stage and when wario edge hogging hes going to do it. play my bro youll see how he dose it. ask sax he watch my bro plays me all the time it gets gay. The only wario that pisses me the **** off lol. some times my bro just runs into it off stage because it loses speed/power if squall is hitting something. but squall as a onstage attack is good combo to upair all day. but yea bro bair is good. you see a wario **** the grab just bair lol xD. jk the grab is good but bair is good to

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Myo, you need to work on your punishes a little bit. You grabbed gluttony a few times without nana near ou and you...b-threw instead of something like d-throw f-smash. Waiting for nana isn't aways the best option. Remember that there are other grab things besides CGs. You can get good damage/force people into bad situations by d-throw f-smashing them off level (although wario doesn't really have that problem unless his bike is on level).

Other than that, nair is good for landing sometimes (Always mix-up, if you overuse the same option it will just get super predictable and wario can punish really hard) and belay to the lege more, and waiting for nana before you do anything off the ledge works too, you are separating yourself somteimes by doing that.

2-DJeff

Smash Master
yea i know smoom if a good player but trust me and esam on this because we live near alot of warios(more so me) belay is viable in recovery in this MU

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Smooms advice was good. Nair is your go to move in this match-up as it makes it really hard for wario to approach. Just a couple things, you can grab wario when he air releases by either pivot grabbing or just letting him footstool you and grabbing him with the other climber during the footstool. Don't full hop so much, don't use belay as an attack against characters that move fast in the air like wario, learn to dthrow cg with sopo, you can do it till like 60% against wario, learn to start with a dthrow so they can't mash out at low %'s.

I felt like you would have stopped a lot of his pressure if you started Usmashing/Nairing OoS and buffering SDI out of Dair when he was using Dair/Uair mix-ups on your shield (which he was using in a mostly set pattern, anyway). If you Usmash OoS and start SDIng out of his Dair, he'll get hit if he uses Uair/Bite, Fair/Bair will hit and you'll have bad DI, and Dair will allow you to SDI out and do anything to him (Nana will get separated, though). I typically think of Wario's Dair as an aerial and mobile Pikachu Dsmash. What will happen when he air dodge will obviously vary widely on timing.
This is pretty bad advice honestly. "buffering SDI" isn't even possible not sure what you mean by that to buffer an sdi input you would have to be doing it before you got hit..which would result in you dashing around randomly or doing something stupid. Usmash OoS doesn't work at all if he's hitting your shield with dair/uair you will just get punished for it.

idk about nair smoom i have a bro that plays wario that can beat me and when i nari him and its not sweet spotted i get punished pretty bad.
and recovering with squall is always the best option. wario can fair, fart or wait till you hit the ground and fsmash it. its very easy fo him to fart and fair of edge because of his areial momentum. the sweet spot nair is good though. if you just space back air he also gets ***** by that. wario weakness like with every one is bair like no lie. IC bair, Gnw bair. ROB bair. Peach bair, MK bair, snakes Bair. use bair alot and desync bair to.
Nair is amazing against wario. I've played every top wario in the nation and beaten them badly pretty much lol, there aren't even really good warios anymore this match-up should be easy because 99% of them play it horribly. Bair is good though yes.

Myollnir

Smash Ace
I'm 16

And yeah, I used not to care about them, but maybe they're right : I'm bad and I only know how to CG.
I want to show them they're wrong. After that, I'll play the ICs again I think.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Sort of what happened to me. They banned cg's in texas...well xyro did lol so I dropped IC's for GW and placed top5 for like a year with GW before they unbanned ics then I switched back to ics lol.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I live near all those warios like...

>_>

Anyway, I'ma put my vids up for critique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O64P-Zol6ts
Game 1 only
At the very start you are commiting yourself way too much. I know you're hitting him and it's working but top mk's will just nado you if you jump that high and that usually results in nana taking a ton of damage or dying. As a general rule try not to jump over mk while hitting him.

At :46 like I said in the other video just use upb while standing on the stage. It's too dangerous to go out with mk when nana is that far away.

Everything was fine just don't full hop so much even though it worked in this match.

At 14:15 you can save nana by just up-bing on the stage. She will teleport that far to you. First two kills were pretty lucky, not sure why he dsmashed lol it was dumb but you played good the whole time so it's hard to comment on anything aside from where you could have saved nana.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Myo, just play ICs like a character. They are at least at the high end of mid tier (Prob 1 or 2 lower than ZSS) without the grab, and they go to top 5 with it. Picking up a secondary is good, but don't drop it. If you win games/sets you win games/sets, so there is nothing wrong with it. If you really only did good just because you can CG quite efficiently...that just means that your region as a whole needs to get better, but you can keep abusing it until they do :D

Roller

Smash Legend
I'll watch ESAM's vids in a bit. But for Myo.

I think I need to make a blanket "you need to pivotgrab more in this matchup because it beats every one of their approaches (assuming they don't have an item in hand)" statement and just copy/paste it everytime someone asks for critique vs one of the characters it works against. I have never lost to a wario as ICs. Granted I have not played a top one. I hope to get some games in with Malcolm this summer since I'm in NJ. And hopefully I'll be able to record some.

But regardless, you can pivotgrab him out of nair, dair, bair, uair, fsmash, dsmash, ftilt, dtilt, WAFT, everything. Use it.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
The pivotgrab statement is dumb and only works on bad wario players. It's easily baited and then you just get separated and nana dies.

Sadly, most wario players are horrible at the match-up so it works these days :/.

Roller

Smash Legend
It definitely would have worked on gluttony. He kept approaching in ways that are pivot grab-able. And he clearly is not that great at the matchup.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
It definitely would have worked on gluttony. He kept approaching in ways that are pivot grab-able. And he clearly is not that great at the matchup.
Yeah it would have, everyone I've seen in EU that plays against IC's are way too aggressive lol.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Myollnir, you should keep on maining IC ... if I'm going to Bushido I wanna play you in full force, not some washed-out IC main with a mediocre pocket MK >_<

Yeah it would have, everyone I've seen in EU that plays against IC's are way too aggressive lol.
Don't confuse EU with France ;_;
We have enough campy players - it's just that people only seem to care about Glutonny, Leon and Mr-R. Just something I wanted to get out of the way because it's getting SERIOUSLY annoying how everybody seems to think that EU is all aggro because of them <_<

:059:

l!nk_aut

Smash Journeyman
myollnir better keeps on maining ic's. it's always good if someone's represanting nice eu ic's.

Exdeath

Smash Master
Hylian, buffer was the wrong word to use, but I don't think that you understood what I meant, either. >.>

Top Bottom