• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

The Mario series, in general, has a lot of reps - if you count Wario, DK, and Yoshi. That's a total of eight characters stemming from the Mario series. And don't say that it doesn't count, Yoshi, Wario, DK, and Diddy appeal to Mario fans (Yoshi especially).

pcamtz

Smash Apprentice
The Mario series, in general, has a lot of reps - if you count Wario, DK, and Yoshi. That's a total of eight characters stemming from the Mario series. And don't say that it doesn't count, Yoshi, Wario, DK, and Diddy appeal to Mario fans (Yoshi especially).
You have to admit that Wario and DK have their own series, they have had games in which Mario doesn't appear, even Yoshi, but he haven't had one in a long time, I'll give you that.

Still, Mario needs a newcomer and Geno is right for the job.

1. No matter what, DK, Diddy, Wario, and Yoshi appeals to Mario gamers. Link does not, but Wario does. The fact of the matter is that even if you counted them as only half Mario reps, that's two reps after adding them up, meaning that they have six reps, something no other franchise has.

2. No one would replace Dr. Mario, because Dr. Mario was not to be replaced.

Beamblast

Smash Cadet
OH shiz..a new prophet from gamefaqs who correctly predicted Mushroomy Kingdom also says Geno is not playable T_T

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Personally, I do not see Diddy Kong as a Mario character, nor Donkey Kong. Techincally, Mario was in a Donkey Kong game, right? Though, DK does appear in Mario Kart and others, I still consider him a DK character. Wario and Yoshi, I'll say are Mario characters.

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
No, Wario, Yoshi, and DK all represent their own series. Even though they might appeal to Mario gamers they still represent their separate series and are not part of the Mario series. If that were so, they would have Mushroom symbol.

That being said Mario still needs 2 more reps to have the most reps in a smash game, and I predict either Geno/Bowser Jr or Geno/Paper Mario.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I don't have anything against Geno but I really don't think he should be a playable character in this game...sure Mario has 4 reps and so does Pokemon...but Pokemon is freaking huge so...it deserves to have that many reps, if Mario has another rep I'd prefer Bowser Jr. over him anyday. The fact that he has only been in 2 games does hurt his chances immensly, even if you don't want to admit it, the Ice Climbers/Pit any retro character arguement is just weak.

He IS hella popular, I can't say otherwise (hell I like him...) but I can see him as an AT before a PC.

All of this, of course is one man's opinion.

inb4flames

SPP Kirby

Smash Apprentice
I don't have anything against Geno but I really don't think he should be a playable character in this game...sure Mario has 4 reps and so does Pokemon...but Pokemon is freaking huge so...it deserves to have that many reps, if Mario has another rep I'd prefer Bowser Jr. over him anyday. The fact that he has only been in 2 games does hurt his chances immensly, even if you don't want to admit it, the Ice Climbers/Pit any retro character arguement is just weak.

He IS hella popular, I can't say otherwise (hell I like him...) but I can see him as an AT before a PC.

All of this, of course is one man's opinion.

inb4flames
Flaming is for the weak :p

Also, Mario is a more popular and bigger franchise than Pokemon, and has also made more money if I recall.

I could see both Geno and Bowser Jr. being playable, I like them both, but I do like Geno more. I don't see Geno as an AT for the same reason that's been mentioned in this topic, why make him an AT after going to get his rights?

The only way I could see him as an AT is if Square had a more popular character put in, and Geno just tags along as a 3rd party AT, similar to how Sonic is playable and Tails is an AT, at least that's what I've heard.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm back and I'm still annoyed because I now have the feeling that I'm going to be maining the exact same characters from Melee seeing how Geno, Megaman, and Ridley might not make the cut... Yeah, I really forward to playing as mostly Mario and Ness for another 7 years... What further annoys me is that this development could reveal that SMRPG won't get represented... again... "Oh BuT tHeRe'S pEaCh'S fRyInG pAn, LoL." Right...

*add in* Why don't I main King Dedede, you ask? Because I can already tell that he's not the play style I'm used to. Wario looks promising but I'm sure him, Pit, Ike and Sonic are going to be horribly overused in the online mode.

Ridley FTB!!!

Smash Lord
I'm back and I'm still annoyed because I now have the feeling that I'm going to be maining the exact same characters from Melee seeing how Geno, Megaman, and Ridley might not make the cut... Yeah, I really forward to playing as mostly Mario and Ness for another 7 years... What further annoys me is that this development could reveal that SMRPG won't get represented... again... "Oh BuT tHeRe'S pEaCh'S fRyInG pAn, LoL." Right...
the frying pan is awsome but i prefer the golf club.
isnt the frying pan from the Mario Game and Watch series 'Chef' ?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Still, a game with 300 ATs, probably 100 pokeball pokemon, and probably 50-75 items should definately have a better roster then what was presented. Seeing the new cutscenes of the SSE makes me even more annoyed because it shows that they had A LOT MORE time and man power then most games. It's really a question of time management and how Melee, despite being rushed, overall still has the better roster...

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Still, a game with 300 ATs, probably 100 pokeball pokemon, and probably 50-75 items should definately have a better roster then what was presented. Seeing the new cutscenes of the SSE makes me even more annoyed because it shows that they had A LOT MORE time and man power then most games. It's really a question of time management and how Melee, despite being rushed, overall still has the better roster...
Like I said again, the rumored 35 roster looks more like what Melee should have been.
But where's my Brawl? <_<

SPP Kirby

Smash Apprentice
As stupid as it sounds, I am actually physically depressed at the lack of Geno, Ridley and Krystal on that 35 character roster.

Chances are it's the real deal (call me foolish), but even with 35 characters it wouldn't be bad if they were good quality.

Quality > quantity, but in this case neither applies. And yes, I am being selfish here :[

Reyairia

Smash Champion
As stupid as it sounds, I am actually physically depressed at the lack of Geno, Ridley and Krystal on that 35 character roster.

Chances are it's the real deal (call me foolish), but even with 35 characters it wouldn't be bad if they were good quality.

Quality > quantity, but in this case neither applies. And yes, I am being selfish here :[
You're not the only one, I have a weak stomach to begin with, so as soon as I saw that this roster seemed to be pretty much confirmed I lost my hunger since Monday.
I'm trying to recuperate it. >_<

Ridley FTB!!!

Smash Lord

apart from the middle paragraph everyone feels the same :p

SPP Kirby

Smash Apprentice
You're not the only one, I have a weak stomach to begin with, so as soon as I saw that this roster seemed to be pretty much confirmed I lost my hunger since Monday.
I'm trying to recuperate it. >_<
Ugh that's like me, not only do I lose my appetite but when I get depressed, I just sleep a whole lot. But neither is helping me to get over this horrible roster.

I mean it's got a lot of good things going for it, and I know I'll like a lot of the characters, but I was really hoping for Geno. I also wanted more females in, so Krystal got my support since she had the best chances, and Metroid is completely jipped on everything with only having one rep, so I was hoping for Ridley, too.

It seems so weird to have Sakurai skip these characters completely. I could maybe, maybe see Geno being shot down because of the Square issue, Ridley is probably a boss if not a character, and Krystal is confirmed in the game already thanks to her VA, even if it's not a playable character.

I'd love to see all three as playable, but even if they're not playable characters, I hope they're in one way or the other. I have no doubt that Ridley will be in, Krystal already is in. Geno is...probably not going to be in if he's not a playable character thanks to Square :/

God even talking about this is making me even more depressed and irritable :[

Fawriel

Smash Master
Oh, are we talking about getting depressed because of a potentially crappy roster? Count me in.
I am already depressive to a moderately severe degree, but I usually manage to block that out by being cheerful. But since looking forward to the game was one of the things that made me able to be cheery... hmmm.
That rumoured roster with Wolf and ROB would really be just a slap in the face... Ever since Gardevoir was deconfirmed and my initial hype for WW Link died down, there's no single (likely) character left who I'd be overjoyed about; all I want is a general roster with characters with lots of interesting, colorful styles and life and personality.
And then we're supposed to get Fox, a bird version of Fox and a gray version of Fox, and A ROBOT?!

I'm trying as hard as I can to keep my pessimism under control because getting really depressed would make it hard to concentrate on the upcoming exam, which I'm already having enough trouble with, but if this turns out to be the real deal, I'll spend about a week just killing time to distract myself. >_>

PS: ... and to make this a little more on-topic, Geno would fall under "interesting style and personality".

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

You, my friend, are not alone. I actually walked home with a throbbing headache the other day just thinking about it. I also couldn't agree with you on the quality > quantity arguement. The "intellectual elite" of this forum are getting angry at everyone because they think it's the number of characters we have a problem with but the real problem lies with how unimagiative the final roster is despite the game having 700 people who played a role in it and the 27 months it was in development. But of course, we're all selfish pigs and it's clearly our fault that the game doesn't even meet most people's basic standards. :ohwell:

When Brawl was revealed, I devised a list of characters that Brawl needed to have in order to meet my most basic standards:

1. Diddy Kong
2. King Dedede
3. Krystal
4. Ridley
5. Megaman or at least a third party character that has contributed a decent amount to Nintendo's history. (It's not that I don't like Sonic it's just that he's only become part of the "Nintendo cause" as of 2002 while people like Bomberman and Megaman have been supporting Nintendo since the late 80's.)

Notice how Geno's not on there. He's definately at the very top of my most wanted list but I could still get by if he wasn't playable. (Now he's seems to face the danger of not even showing up at all and that's a whole different can of worms I really don't want to think about...)

*Add in* Fawriel said: "And then we're supposed to get Fox, a bird version of Fox and a gray version of Fox, and A ROBOT?!"

No kidding and we're supposed to be estatic?

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad to hear I'm not alone on this either. Honestly, I couldn't even concetrate on Call Of Duty 4 today just thinking how horrible that roster is :laugh: At first I thought I could accept it, but no I can't. I honestly don't accept it. Things just don't add up.

SPP Kirby

Smash Apprentice
Seriously. Three males from the Star Fox series. Get rid of Wolf and put in Krystal. She at least has fans to back her up, I have nothing against Wolf but we need more females, we really do.

R.O.B. is about as exciting as watching paint dry. He had his moment in Mario Kart as a playable character, and he's already in the SSE. Do we really need him to be playable too? I don't hate the guy, and I wouldn't mind him so much if the rest of the unknown roster wasn't mainly returning veterans and Wolf as the newcomers. WW Link I did have a problem with, but now not so much. I'm more annoyed that Sakurai just seemed to skip over some really popular and wanted characters to add another Link :/

No offense to those who like him, I like him too. Remove Wolf and R.O.B., add Geno and Krystal, and possibly remove Falco and add Ridley and bam, a 35 character roster that doesn't look so bad.

Or better yet, keep Falco and leave it at that. A 36 character roster that doesn't suck. Some of the characters are so similar in looks (Wolf and Fox), they could just be alternate costumes.

At least I made myself feel better by bugging the crap out of my friend over MSN by pretending to be Geno and saying random stuff, and ending every sentence with :| since he doesn't really ever change facial expressions.

He thought it was funny. It worked to cheer me up a little XD

All I know is that I support Geno until the end, and that includes after Brawl is released. I'll always support him and hope he appears in another game as playable, whether it's a remake of Super Mario RPG on the DS, a sequel, or whatever.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Seriously. Three males from the Star Fox series. Get rid of Wolf and put in Krystal. She at least has fans to back her up, I have nothing against Wolf but we need more females, we really do.

R.O.B. is about as exciting as watching paint dry. He had his moment in Mario Kart as a playable character, and he's already in the SSE. Do we really need him to be playable too? I don't hate the guy, and I wouldn't mind him so much if the rest of the unknown roster wasn't mainly returning veterans and Wolf as the newcomers. WW Link I did have a problem with, but now not so much. I'm more annoyed that Sakurai just seemed to skip over some really popular and wanted characters to add another Link :/

No offense to those who like him, I like him too. Remove Wolf and R.O.B., add Geno and Krystal, and possibly remove Falco and add Ridley and bam, a 35 character roster that doesn't look so bad.

Or better yet, keep Falco and leave it at that. A 36 character roster that doesn't suck. Some of the characters are so similar in looks (Wolf and Fox), they could just be alternate costumes.

At least I made myself feel better by bugging the crap out of my friend over MSN by pretending to be Geno and saying random stuff, and ending every sentence with :| since he doesn't really ever change facial expressions.

He thought it was funny. It worked to cheer me up a little XD

All I know is that I support Geno until the end, and that includes after Brawl is released. I'll always support him and hope he appears in another game as playable, whether it's a remake of Super Mario RPG on the DS, a sequel, or whatever.
It's almost terrifying how dead on our thoughts are. :laugh:

Still, I think the fact that Wolf might get in before Krystal is what annoys me most about this. *prepares to write a book titled "All the Things that Annoy me with Brawl's Final Roster."* She's played a much bigger role in the past three games then he has and is the first Nintendo female since Samus to really have significance in more then one game let alone be playable. What also annoys me is how, if the rumors are true, how Wolf was supposed to be Falco in Melee much like how Wario was supposed to be Dr. Mario but Sakurai kept them from being clones because he wanted them to keep their unique characteristics. If I wasn't so sure that Wolf was going to get Falco's old moveset and he's going to play a "ha ha, I'm a rival" role in the SSE then the matter would be as bad but no, it's far worse... If Lucas ends up being a "Luigified" version of Ness or if Lucario's a modified version of Mewtwo then I'm really going to be pissed...

Fawriel

Smash Master
WW Link I did have a problem with, but now not so much. I'm more annoyed that Sakurai just seemed to skip over some really popular and wanted characters to add another Link :/

No offense to those who like him, I like him too.
No offense taken. I'm the "general" of his support club, and if the roster's going to be so lackluster, I'd almost trade him in for Midna or someone.
On the other hand, he is the color in the colorful roster I'm wishing for, so... even if he is another Link, and god forbid, Sakurai decides to clone his A moves instead of giving him a unique, hyperactive swordfighting style, you should try to look forward to the fact that he'll bring a unique style and colors to the game.

SPP Kirby

Smash Apprentice
It's almost terrifying how dead on our thoughts are. :laugh:
That's because we're awesome ;D We should talk over MSN or AIM sometime, that would make for an interesting conversation XD

Still, I think the fact that Wolf might get in before Krystal is what annoys me most about this. *prepares to write a book titled "All the Things that Annoy me with Brawl's Final Roster."* She's played a much bigger role in the past three games then he has and is the first Nintendo female since Samus to really have significance in more then one game let alone be playable. What also annoys me is how, if the rumors are true, how Wolf was supposed to be Falco in Melee much like how Wario was supposed to be Dr. Mario but Sakurai kept them from being clones because he wanted them to keep their unique characteristics. If I wasn't so sure that Wolf was going to get Falco's old moveset and he's going to play a "ha ha, I'm a rival" role in the SSE then the matter would be as bad but no, it's far worse... If Lucas ends up being a "Luigified" version of Ness or if Lucario's a modified version of Mewtwo then I'm really going to be pissed...
Seriously, I agree with everything you said here. If he's going to add "Luigified" versions of some characters that will really annoy me. Not only will the roster be lacking in quality character wise, but in unique move sets as well, and that's like a double slap in the face :/

I feel bad complaining, because I know outside of the roster this game will most likely be epic, but the roster was one of the things I was looking forward to most :[

No offense taken. I'm the "general" of his support club, and if the roster's going to be so lackluster, I'd almost trade him in for Midna or someone.
On the other hand, he is the color in the colorful roster I'm wishing for, so... even if he is another Link, and god forbid, Sakurai decides to clone his A moves instead of giving him a unique, hyperactive swordfighting style, you should try to look forward to the fact that he'll bring a unique style and colors to the game.
Ahh good, I'm glad you're not offended or anything XD Chances are, I'll really enjoy WW Link, and I might even make him my main. But then again I've always had Kirby as my main haha.

I just wish he would have had more characters altogether, and included at most the characters with 3+ mentions on that poll. I just hope everyone at least gets one character they really want in the game :]

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Young Link's definately not the problem (unless he plays exactly the same way as he did in Melee), it's how Sakurai for God knows what reason decided to make the final roster consist mostly of people from the past games (making Ness, Captain Falcon, Marth and Mr. Game and Watch unlockable again adds insult to injury), and people he "forgot" to add in Melee (ie; Wario, Pit, Meta Knight Wolf, King Dedede, Diddy Kong, Sonic, and Snake)*. For characters that people really wanted THIS TIME around, all you have is Captain Olimar, Ike, and Lucario. That's it... Three people that are exempt from the list I mentioned before and what makes matters worse, Ike is sort of a "Luigified" version of Marth and Lucario may very well be a modified version of Mewtwo. That leaves us with one truly unique individual and he's in the starting roster. Don't even get me started on what I have against ROB...

*Wario and Wolf are rumored to have been replaced by Dr. Mario and Falco, Sonic and Snake were confirmed to be considered via interviews with Kojima and Naka, respectively, Sakurai dismissed Metaknight and King Dedede himself in an interview saying he didn't want to give too much attention to his own characters, another interview showed that he had complications adding "flying" characters in Melee thus explaining Pit and Metaknight (again), and Diddy Kong was rumored to be left on the cutting room for while the only evidence we have for this is that he didn't even get a trophy in Melee.

SPP Kirby

Smash Apprentice
Hey Fatmanonice, here's a topic that might interest you :p

It mentions you at the bottom :]

And to be on topic, it does have to do with Geno, and Geno for Brawl :[

Wrath`

Smash Master
Well guys, if this roster is the real thing,(wich hell it better not be)
Geno is gone, wich geeze i would rather him then rob

Weltunter

Smash Journeyman
Well guys, if this roster is the real thing,(wich hell it better not be)
Geno is gone, wich geeze i would rather him then rob
If that roster is real, that would be horrible...

No Geno
No Krystal
No Ridley
No Dark Samus
No King K. Rool
No Claus
No 3rd Party
No Bowser Jr.

But R.O.B.

:dizzy:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hey Fatmanonice, here's a topic that might interest you :p

It mentions you at the bottom :]

And to be on topic, it does have to do with Geno, and Geno for Brawl :[
Uh I don't think I was banned... It's just that my account got messed up for some reason when the site was closed down for a couple of days and I have been able to log on since... I was then given an ALT by another member and mysterisly, I was locked out with that account too... I seriously doubt it had anything to do with my support of Geno but if it did... :mad:

SPP Kirby

Smash Apprentice
I don't know... it sounds pretty far-fetched. :/
Oh no, I don't think it's real at all. I just wanted to see what he thought XD

I am particularly fond of that render though, it's quite fitting for him, and that's about what I'd imagine he'd look like if he was in Brawl, maybe a bit skinnier and his clothing would be more cloth like, but yea, it's a nice picture :p

Uh I don't think I was banned... It's just that my account got messed up for some reason when the site was closed down for a couple of days and I have been able to log on since... I was then given an ALT by another member and mysterisly, I was locked out with that account too... I seriously doubt it had anything to do with my support of Geno but if it did... :mad:
That would be an incredibly craptacular reason to ban someone. It would be almost as bad as me banning someone on SPPf for hating Geno...

I've been tempted though :]

Top Bottom