• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Eagle

Smash Lord
I wonder..

Geno could be a gay clown from a play in the little boys village and then someone decided to make him into an action figure/doll by some guy and one day some creepy star guy with a gay clown fetish decided to inhabit him.

Is that who you want in Brawl?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Its the Final Third Party Spot, Why Waste it on Geno, Hes not Great at all.
Great is Megaman, Bomberman, Earthworm Jim, Rayman & Sonic Characters!

..Duh
He's a Mario character...He would be counted as a Mario character

TBone06

Smash Ace
theres not a set amount of third party slots. It may change, plus Geno is seen as first party

ParamoreRiot

Smash Lord
theres not a set amount of third party slots. It may change, plus Geno is seen as first party
Yes, but Geno is only seen as first party by his fans with denial. The fact is that Nintendo needed to contact Square Enix and pay for his inclusion. He is third party, otherwise they wouldn't need to pay for him.

antimatter

Smash Lord
he is also seen that way by Masashiro Sakurai, the creator of Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
edit: beaten to it.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yes, but Geno is only seen as first party by his fans with denial. The fact is that Nintendo needed to contact Square Enix and pay for his inclusion. He is third party, otherwise they wouldn't need to pay for him.
It would be easier for them to acquire Geno than any other "3rd party character" because he was co-developed by Nintendo and Square, and of course IS a Mario character. Technically, you have no proof they have to pay for him

TBone06

Smash Ace
yeah, it's not like Sonic who's owned and created by Sega. He's co-developed and he was used only in the Mario universe. All they need to is approach Square

ParamoreRiot

Smash Lord
I don't know if you guys know, but Sakurai doesn't consider Geno to be a third party character so he wouldn't take up a third party slot. He said that when he was creating Melee.
Source please.

It would be easier for them to acquire Geno than any other "3rd party character" because he was co-developed by Nintendo and Square, and of course IS a Mario character. Technically, you have no proof they have to pay for him
Think logically though. A company would not allow another company to use a character that they created, with they're own employees, for free. Its business.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Source please.

Think logically though. A company would not allow another company to use a character that they created, with they're own employees, for free. Its business.
The employers that were in Square, and in charge of Square and the project all work for Nintendo now...Of course it might not be free, but it wouldn't really be that much of an effort.

Edit: I should rephrase that...The developers of Mario RPG and the person in charge of Square at the time all work for Nintendo

ParamoreRiot

Smash Lord
but who really knows how much they would, may be just a rental fee
They would need to pay more than a "rental fee". I'm sure Square knows how popular this game will be, possibly becoming the highest selling game for the Wii, and they will jump on the opportunity to make a good amount of money lending a character out to Nintendo that they hardly ever use.

Cless

Smash Champion
They would need to pay more than a "rental fee". I'm sure Square knows how popular this game will be, possibly becoming the highest selling game for the Wii, and they will jump on the opportunity to make a good amount of money lending a character out to Nintendo that they hardly ever use.
How come when I say that no one listens?

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
There is no incentive for just giving away Geno, and in the world of business, people don't pass on opportunities for profit.

Everyone made my point before i finished posting, stupid wii

TBone06

Smash Ace
yeah but he's doing no good for Square, they can't really refuse either because he's co-owned

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There is no incentive for just giving away Geno, and in the world of business, people don't pass on opportunities for profit
Yes, but I was just saying he had no proof...Thinking so is still just an assumption.

Senor Crouch

Smash Journeyman
@ParamoreRiot- Here is one source I know of it is one that talks about "2.5" party characters such as Geno, but it isn't the source I originally had in mind:

http://blogs.ign.com/phoenixdragoon/2007/10/22/69626/

See I had thread where I believe it was Samurai Panda who was talking about the chances of certain character to get into Brawl. He stated that Sakurai didn't believe Geno to be a third party character, and that Sakurai said this during the creation of Melee. I'm sorry, but I am still searching for it, in fact now that I think about it I am wondering if it was even on Smash Boards.

domriver

Smash Lord
What is Square going to do with Geno? I highly doubt that they will make him his own game or even have him cameo in others. This is the best chance to put Geno in to some really good use and spread his name ever more.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Paramore Riot, f***---jfnklsfhsz;jklf I told you, fatmanonice has that thing with Geno as first party!
PM HIM!

FFS, Geno is not co-owned.

I'm not going to argue his inclusion, but nothing - literally nothing - has shown that Nintendo owns anything of Geno.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
FFS, Geno is not co-owned.

I'm not going to argue his inclusion, but nothing - literally nothing - has shown that Nintendo owns anything of Geno.
I don't think really anything has shown they don't either

It doesn't matter because no one said they did

Ryudo_Sama

Smash Ace
Geno is so worthless to Square Enix, he belongs more with Nintendo. I just wish that Square Enix would sell the rest of Geno's rights to Nintendo, where he belongs, but that will probably never happen. :urg:

Cless

Smash Champion
It even says in the OP that Geno and Mallow are Squeenix's. Maybe Sakurai sees them as first party, but that doesn't change facts. It only affects the third-party representation in Brawl.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Geno is so worthless to Square Enix, he belongs more with Nintendo. I just wish that Square Enix would sell the rest of Geno's rights to Nintendo, where he belongs, but that will probably never happen. :urg:
Same with Mallow, Smithy and co and Frofucious...

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice
*facepalm* Guys, I've said this before:

CONTRACTS > COPYRIGHTS

We DON'T KNOW what kind of contract they have! There is no clarification! Maybe Nintendo doesn't have to even pay Square Enix! As the legendary debater, Fatmanonice would say, why the hell would Nintendo pay Square Enix for a small cameo in a "no name" game such as Mario and Luigi Superstar saga?

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
You can always just contract the character out. Pay Square a small fee once, get the character in the game, and never use him again. It's what they're doing for Sonic.

You guys make it sound like it's as difficult as a man giving birth. It's really not that farfetched--games and such do it all the time.

EDIT: And Nintendo is no stranger. Think of games like Diddy Kong Racing DS or Mario and Sonic Olympics. Nintendo licensed out their characters to both Rare and Sega for those games. Just as well, Namo held the Star Fox license for a while, Sega held F-Zero, and Hudson makes the Mario Party games (as well as Wario Blast). So Nintendo has a reputation with these companies for being OK with sharing properties. And considering that Square-Enix made Itadaki Street DS recently and reused music from Mario RPG, they are still accessing original material from the game as well as doing stuff with the Mario license (that and Mario Hoops, for the DS). And if we think about what they've done for Nintendo in the past year or so, they're releasing the first full WiiWare game alongside whatever Nintendo is releasing. And the only reason we don't see their games on the VC is just because they're remake happy. Otherwise, they're still buddy-buddy with the Big N. They'd kill to see one of their properties hit it big on a Nintendo console. MIght as well be Mario RPG, in my opinion.

Cless

Smash Champion
Ok, I'm gonna go play Itadaki Street DS and hear this Mario RPG music. I hope there's stage too. Playing Monopoly on the Phantom Train was too badass on the PSP.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Officially my last sprite comic for a while:

Takes place while Bowser fights DK(thropied) and Diddy with Fox

RDK

Smash Hero
I don't know if you guys know, but Sakurai doesn't consider Geno to be a third party character so he wouldn't take up a third party slot. He said that when he was creating Melee.
God, I hate when people say this! How many times to I have to bash stupid people over the skull in the Brawl Boards?

It doesn't matter what Sakurai considers him--he's still a Square Enix character, and therefore he still has to deal with Sqauare in order to get him. Most likely pay for him.

That's like saying "WELL SAKURAI CAN USE MASTER CHIEF AND NOT ASK MICROSOFT BECAUSE HE DOESN'T CONSIDER HIM A 3RD PARTY CHARACTER."

Think before you post.

Top Bottom