• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Teeb147

Smash Legend
lucario would make an awesome character.

Geno would be too if he had a bit of clothes :p

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Did you guys not read what fatmanonice said?

Mario reps aren't that high if you look at it. He said that Mario was given alot of the Doc's moves attack effects. Yoshi and Wario both represent their own series. The Mario reps are Bowser, Mario, Peach, and we can pretty much expect Luigi coming back. Thats only four, and Geno would make five. Now Mario is pretty much Nintendo's all, and I don't think 5 reps from his series would be asking too much.

Geno has his badass cape, he doesn't need to wear clothes. Besides, he is a doll.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
And I guess Geno's blue and yellow cape, blue and yellow hat, ribbons, a little insignia on his head, doesn't contain style?

Dolls don't have to have clothes. And you won't need to see his clothes, because in Brawl, all you will be seeing is the bottom of his foot :cool:.

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
Fatmanonice has already explained factors against Bowser Jr. before:

Because, unlike Geno, Bowser Jr lacks independence. He has to have his daddy around in order to have any purpose much like Waluigi has to be around Wario. Heck, even Toad has more indepence then either character because he doesn't have to have Peach to be able to do anything. To put it in different words, Bowser Jr. can't really function on his own. In Super Mario Sunshine, he was going off his father's whims and wasn't truly acting on his own accord and it's the same in the other two canon game he's in. From what I've noticed, all the characters that have become playable are independent and can function on their own.

Also, how has Bowser Jr. been influential to the series? His only true important role was in Super Mario Sunshine (where you don't even truly fight him, I might add, and how I already stated, he was a pawn) and in the other two games, he's a reoccuring miniboss and is the equivalent of Petey Pirhanna or Birdo. In the New Super Mario Bros, he uses very generic attacks like jumping, throwing shells, and spinning in his own shell. In Super Mario Galaxy, you only fight him once and he doesn't even attack you himself, he uses his flying vessel to shoot cannon and fire balls at you. With this said, it could easily be said that Bowser Jr. uniquess (which wasn't that unique in the first place given he's essentially a replacement for the Koopa Kids, his character design is almost identical to Baby Bowser, and he has BOWSER in his name) has significantly decreased overtime to the point where his qualities are comparible to any other mini-boss.

You also have to take into account that, based on the SSE videos we've seen, Bowser is acting on his own and he is depicted as a beast rather then a goofy father figure. Because of this, Bowser Jr gets thrown in the same boat as I put Waluigi more then a year ago, a character who would also hinder their counterpart if they were added and take away certain qualities. For Waluigi, adding him would have taken away the fact that Wario was free from the Mario franchise and have ruined his established indepedence. Wario represents Wario Land and Wario Ware, not the Mario spinoffs he's appeared in.

Another thing that should be brought to mind is how Sakurai seems to have created bosses in order to give minor villians representation like what we've seen with Petey Pirhanna (who actually appears in more games then Bowser Jr, oddly enough). There are still several major villains that haven't made the roster yet (Ridley, King K. Rool, Black Shadow, etc) so I can't see him adding the second bananna villians until these characters have spots secure on the roster. As it should be obvious, this factor lowers the chances of other minor villains too like one of my favorite Zelda characters, Vaati. It should also be noted that Melee only had 3 villians out of it's 26 characters (3/26 or about 11% which is quite small) so don't expect this ratio to grow by leaps and bounds in Brawl. Realistically, after King Dedede (and Ganondorf who's obviously returning), there will probably be no more then three more villain additions and, as I already pointed out, there are some very important characters waiting in the wings. I think the only secondary villain that wasn't hurt by this unveilment was Maskedman/ Claus based on various things revealed since then like Ness falling from grace.

It should also be noted that unlike Petey Pirhanna, Bowser Jr. didn't appear in Sakurai's journal at all. To keep things in mind, neither were Waluigi and Daisy despite, as Sakurai has told us, being abundantly popular. In contrast, a koopa, Toad, the Hammer Bros (which are now ATs), Petey Pirhanna (who became a boss), and Mallow were mentioned once and Geno was mentioned 5 times so that covers the bases regarding the Mario category.

That's about it. I once made a post listing and going into complete detail about Bowser Jr's situation using 9 points and I believe I covered 6 of them here.
Geno's chances at this point might be higher than Bowser Jr. Although I wouldn't rule anything out yet, especially since there is the possiblity we might get 1-2 more Mario Reps.

D

Deleted member

Because geno is skin colored and makes it ugly to look at. lucario's colors have style so its ok.
Not really. He's more brown than tan or skin coloured. His body appearance gives away that he is a doll.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
a large portion of his body is not covered by anuthing and is aestetically unappealing, it doesnt matter if hes a doll. it didnt matter much in mario rpg since characters didnt have hundreds of different frames to consider in animations, but in brawl its going to be noticable, especially when he runs.

Im just saying to alter the design to make him more visually appealing.

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
well it's not like he was balls or anything that you could see so i see no point in him having more clothes.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Your just about the only person I've heard to complain about his appearance. And to show you just how much Sakurai cares about aesthetically pleasing characters, look at Game & Watch. He's just a black-colored human silouette.

I don't think Sakurai will have a problem with Geno's clothing. Keep it easy and simple - just as he appeared in Super Mario RPG: LotSS.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hmm, I understand what you're saying, but obviously you guys haven't taken any art classes..

maybe you guys dont care since you like him as he is, but im speaking for other people who havent had the time to like him because of mario rpg..well, no matter, he'll be cool either way im sure, but even if you dont realize it now, Im sure youll notice what i mean if you see him animate in 3d.

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
I've taken art classes, and Geno's appearance in 3D wouldn't be a problem. I understand where you're coming from though, but I honestly don't think his appearance in animated 3D would be an issue.

D

Deleted member

a large portion of his body is not covered by anuthing and is aestetically unappealing, it doesnt matter if hes a doll. it didnt matter much in mario rpg since characters didnt have hundreds of different frames to consider in animations, but in brawl its going to be noticable, especially when he runs.

Im just saying to alter the design to make him more visually appealing.
Who cares if he doesn't have clothes? They ain't changing his appearance by putting on god forsaken clothes. It's not like his **** will be waving around the place.

Diddy and Donkey Kong have the basic appearance of a human but the don't have any pants.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well, Im still going to go ahead a predict that geno's appearance will be slightly adjusted to make him either have other type of clothing beneath his cloak or his colors will be altered.

I doupt he'll be revealed before the game comes out though.

Cyrlous

Smash Apprentice
I have this feeling...

...like this is the time for ATs.

I think that in the last month or so leading up to the Japanese release many characters will be deconfirmed via AT. And to me, Geno just has all the hallmarks of an AT. I can see him showing up and doing his arm attack or something. I could be wrong, but honestly I'll not be terribly surprised to see him announced as an AT over the next couple of weeks.

D

Deleted member

I have this feeling...

...like this is the time for ATs.

I think that in the last month or so leading up to the Japanese release many characters will be deconfirmed via AT. And to me, Geno just has all the hallmarks of an AT. I can see him showing up and doing his arm attack or something. I could be wrong, but honestly I'll not be terribly surprised to see him announced as an AT over the next couple of weeks.
Geno is either a PC or not in at all.

D

Deleted member

And, how exactly do you know that? Do you have access to some secret information?
Well, why should Geno be an AT? He got 4 mentions on the poll. So did Ike, Diddy, Ridley and Dedede got a 5. Lucas got a 2. Geno is a very unique fighter with his own original moveset. If he is in Brawl than we're all gonna know what he is obviously gonna be.

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
I would honestly be fine with Geno being AT, but I doubt Nintendo would go through trouble with Square just to make him AT. I believe Geno has the qualities to be a PC in the game, he's unique and would have a very good moveset were he PC.

Cyrlous

Smash Apprentice
Just to be clear, I'm in no way anti-Geno. I'm actually quite neutral on him. All I'm saying is, brace yourselves for the worst because it may yet happen. I'm not wishing it to happen or saying that I think it will for sure, I'm just saying look out for it.

D

Deleted member

There was a sin and punishment AT so Geno may still be an AT
You're right. You know. There could still be a Ridley AT or a Luigi AT or a Krystal AT or a Megaman AT or a Capt. Falcon AT or a Bowser Jr. AT.

That's a terrible argument. Saki wasn't even suggested on the poll.

Just to be clear, I'm in no way anti-Geno. I'm actually quite neutral on him. All I'm saying is, brace yourselves for the worst because it may yet happen. I'm not wishing it to happen or saying that I think it will for sure, I'm just saying look out for it.
Look out for him to be:

1) a PC

2) not in at all

He's one of those 2 choices.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I must say, people seem quite rabid over the issue.
It's a stupid argument. I know you guys weren't trying to piss people off or anything, but we get guys weekly who are either A) trolls B) have beef with one of the members and take it out here C) people who are serious with stuff like that.

Cyrlous

Smash Apprentice
Ok, I'm not here to argue. I can see your point about not wanting to negotiate with Square-Enix just for an AT, but I still always stick with the poition that I'll wait to see before making any definite statements. However, I will also say that it does seem unlikely to me for Geno to be in as playable, but then again I'm just basing that on a gut feeling so it doesn't really mean much. In the end, we'll only really know who all is in the game once they've been confirmed or once the game is released.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
i'm so suprised geno has this amount of support for brawl. he's awesome! such a sweet forgotten mario character, but i never thought he'd have the slightest chance of getting into brawl until i saw how many people actually want him in.

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
He got the second most reccomendations on Sakurai's list(first place being Dedede, and Sonic wasn't on the list).

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
It's not the same, a second party developer makes games specifically for a console manufacturer. That's why it is no trouble for Nintendo to add Saki. Ness and Pikachu are also second party characters. Geno is a different case though, he is 3rd (specifically 2.5) party and they wouldn't go through the trouble of adding him only as an AT.

Top Bottom