• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Cless

Smash Champion
Sin and Punishment was made by Treasure. Nintendo doesn't own Treasure, but they may own the rights to the characters in the game.

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
They may not now but they could have at one point.
Sin and Punishment has the same thing with golden Sun it seems.

As Camelot made Golden Sun...but nintendo owns the rights to all the characters and storyline.

Cless

Smash Champion
I don't think anyone ever owned Treasure. It was started by a bunch of former Konami employees. They made games for Sega at first and then branched out. They might have been under contract, but I don't think any developers ever owned the company.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
There was a sin and punishment AT so Geno may still be an AT
*comes in freakishly late*

Actually, thanks to the Devistilian, it has become clear what Saki's legal situation is. Treasure developed Sin and Punishment for Nintendo but, like it has done with many of its games, it gave all the rights to the game (including the characters) to Nintendo and that's why Treasure isn't mentioned in Brawl's copyright. The situation is the same for Dr. Wright because Maxis, yet another third party, made Sim City for Nintendo but allowed Nintendo to keep all the rights to that respective game. This is the case for most joint projects games but, (and it annoys me to no end) Square Enix retained the rights to all the original characters that appeared in Super Mario RPG. (It may have something to do with "the great betrayal" when Square developed FFVII for the PS instead of the N64 which they originally intended to do; I don't know.)

Like I have said countless times, this is especially annoying considering how Geno is completely useless to them without Nintendo's participation. They should have just given him and the other characters to Nintendo when they jumped ship like what Rare did with the DK characters they created like Diddy and Krystal from Star Fox Adventures. Oh well... it's not really a big deal.

I've read through some of these posts and someone brought up how Geno doesn't have pants... Seriously, who cares? It's a doll and is not anatomically correct. That's like expecting DK and Pikachu to have a pair... I don't know why this topic keeps coming up.

Regarding Bowser Jr, I already stated all that earlier. To add another point, I also noticed today that in all three of the canon games he's in, he's actually taller then Mario and about the height of Peach so the arguement that he'd be a small, light weight Mario addition doesn't work all that well either. Keep in mind that I'm talking about the parts where the characters are scaled down so it's not like the case for Ridley where he could easily be shrunk and not look horribly out of proportion seeing how his size has changed many times in his history. In other words, unlike Ridley, Bowser Jr. actually has an established height.

Why does this matter? It's because it creates even less of a distinction between him and his father. If he's taller then Mario and about the same height as Peach and given his body frame, he'd actually be heavier then both characters and, as we all know, Mario's the standard for height and weight. Because of this, Bowser Jr. would be above average from the "medium" characters and thus push him closer to heavy weight, which we all know that Bowser is. Because of this, we run into the same situation that Pikachu and Pichu were in: essentially two variations of the same character with only minor differences in their basic stats; Pichu was slightly smaller and lighter then Pikachu. As we all know, Pichu was given the boot (most likely) because of how similar it was to it's evolved form. As I stated in a different post, Bowser Jr's character design in almost indentical to Baby Bowser and the Bowser Bros that appear in Mario Party 1-3 so, oddly enough, it could be said that "Bowser" is an evolved form of "Bowser Jr." (Kind of like Mr. Mime and Mime Jr, eh? :laugh: I'm sorry but the irony is too rich...)

Well, that's it for now.

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
I'm glad that Nintendo owns the rights to Golden Sun's characters and story so Isaac's chance are really good...though i hope Geno is in.

Geno4Brawl

Smash Rookie
Random question. Since Lupus was on Sakurai's poll. Does Nintendo own the rights to the characters in Jet Force Gemini?
Geno 4 Brawl!

Machspeed

Smash Lord
The game was published and developed by Rare, which now sold to Microsoft.

EDIT - Doubt Nintendo has the rights to the characters.

Mad555

Smash Ace
In Smithy's Factory Mains: Fox, Sheik Brawl Mains:
@Fatmanonice
I found this on the dojo about Saki:
He rivals just about any main character. There were many requests from users for his inclusion, and he IS pretty cool, so I did what I could to include him. After all, this game does let you enjoy a dream cast of supporting characters!

Didnt you say Saki wasnt on polls?
And could that mean something for Geno.

igloo9

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone else think that Geno might be revealed tomorrow? I think so. Here are my reasons why.

First thing, the last few updates have been good, and each one has been getting better. First, we get Mario Circuit, a stage. After that, we get TWO ATs. The main 3 important types of updates are ATs, characters, and stages. We got the stage. We got two AT's. What's next? A character. And another thing, tomorrow is Monday. And on Monday, VC games get released. Perhaps tomorrow, Super Mario Rpg will be released? And Geno will be revealed as a PC?

Anyone agree with this?

Machspeed

Smash Lord
I think Megaman has the highest chances tomorrow, seeing as it's his 20th anniversary. Haven't had a 3rd party character in awhile, and I think Megaman would boost the lacking hype to immense levels.

(Though I wish Geno would hurry up and be revealed :()

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Personally, without the aid of an event, I don't see it possible that there will be any new third party characters, at least ones that are not connected to a already established series. It's just to far in. >_>

Wrath`

Smash Master
I think Megaman has the highest chances tomorrow, seeing as it's his 20th anniversary. Haven't had a 3rd party character in awhile, and I think Megaman would boost the lacking hype to immense levels.

(Though I wish Geno would hurry up and be revealed :()
if megaman makes it(i hope he does, to piss off geno fanboys)
geno will be pretty much de confermed, he is tecnicly third party, and with three thirdy party slot taken up, he will be on a road to ATville.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
geno will be pretty much de confermed, he is tecnicly third party, and with three thirdy party slot taken up, he will be on a road to ATville.
We just don't know yet if there will be just three 3rd party characters.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
There are three things in that last post which are just flat out idiotic.

1) Megaman making it has nothing to do with Geno's chances. Sakurai said they'll be more third parties than we expected because of the delay. Also read the first post, Geno's technically not 3rd party.

2) Nintendo wouldn't approach Square-Enix for JUST an AT, he's either in or out.

3) Why troll? Keep your comments to yourself, and your arguments have no logic behind them. No need to stir up even more things on the Geno thread. (Mainly referring to you saying just to piss off Geno fanboys)

... :cool:

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Sakurai hasn't made any statements about more third party characters, there have only been rumers, outside of the original comments he made. And Geno is third a third party character irregardless. He's owned by Square. >_>

Wrath`

Smash Master
Sakurai hasn't made any statements about more third party characters, there have only been rumers, outside of the original comments he made. And Geno is third a third party character irregardless. He's owned by Square. >_>
If geno was as big as they say, why has he not appeared in the mario spin offs that have featured square enix characters?

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Man, this thread seems to be a magnet for trolls; alright, I'll bite, let's see here.

Paper Mario 64 was first supposed to be SMRPG2. Square-Enix was helping Nintendo develop it, when SE all of a sudden started showing a very sudden interest in Sony. Nintendo and Square-Enix were very tense at that moment, and then Square-Enix completely broke away from Nintendo. Nintendo just decided to make Paper Mario 64, and every since then, Mallow, Geno, pretty much most the colorful cast from SMRPG have died off.

Does being in a Mario spinoff make you a better character? Geno should be in games which involve his storyline, an RPG character, not playing Basketball or something like that.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Man, this thread seems to be a magnet for trolls; alright, I'll bite, let's see here.

Paper Mario 64 was first supposed to be SMRPG2. Square-Enix was helping Nintendo develop it, when SE all of a sudden started showing a very sudden interest in Sony. Nintendo and Square-Enix were very tense at that moment, and then Square-Enix completely broke away from Nintendo. Nintendo just decided to make Paper Mario 64, and every since then, Mallow, Geno, pretty much most the colorful cast from SMRPG have died off.

Does being in a Mario spinoff make you a better character? Geno should be in games which involve his storyline, an RPG character, not playing Basketball or something like that.
you call anyone who dislikes geno a troll.

Yeah, but you noticed the ones playing basketball were some off the character more poular than geno, like moogle and cactaur and such.
and if they had a spmrpg2 comin out, why has there been no talk about it being revied for wii or something like that?

D

Deleted member

Woopdie-f*cking-doo! That doesn't mean he ain't getting in. Sakurai will go through SE's sh*t just to make Geno playable.

If not than Geno ain't in at all.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
you call anyone who dislikes geno a troll.

Yeah, but you noticed the ones playing basketball were some off the character more poular than geno, like moogle and cactaur and such.
and if they had a spmrpg2 comin out, why has there been no talk about it being revied for wii or something like that?
I call people who dislike Geno and purposely post on the thread to start up arguments a troll.

SMRPG2 has been rumored in a magazine or something like that, if you search for the post, it's somewhere in this thread.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
For the reason that Geno hasn't been in any of the recent join ventures by SE and Nintendo, despite his apperent fanbase...All I can think of is that it's not as big as the people in this thread say. Something would have happened otherwise. Two games gone, each with the perfect chance to show Geno again.

Mach, you history of Paper Mario is suspect at best. SMPRG was in 1996. Square had broken away from Nintendo in 97 with FF7. Paper Mario came out in 2000. I hardly think Square helped that game at all.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
For the reason that Geno hasn't been in any of the recent join ventures by SE and Nintendo, despite his apperent fanbase...All I can think of is that it's not as big as the people in this thread say. Something would have happened otherwise. Two games gone, each with the perfect chance to show Geno again.

Mach, you history of Paper Mario is suspect at best. SMPRG was in 1996. Square had broken away from Nintendo in 97 with FF7. Paper Mario came out in 2000. I hardly think Square helped that game at all.
The game was initially called Super Mario RPG 2, then Super Mario Adventure during production.
Paper Mario was a spiritual sequel to Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars for the Super NES, and is the first game in the Paper Mario series of video games. It has had two sequels released; the first, for the Nintendo GameCube entitled Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, and a second for the Wii entitled Super Paper Mario, which is designed as a platformer with role-playing elements.

Source

Geno's not a more of an "up-to-date" character appearing in video games because of the SMRPG breaking. He's more of a Retro character, sort of like Pit. (Well, he might as well be since we're most likely not going to see a SMRPG2 either ever or for a long time.) Sakurai seems to like Retro; if this be the last game Geno will be in, I'll be satisfied.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I call people who dislike Geno and purposely post on the thread to start up arguments a troll.

SMRPG2 has been rumored in a magazine or something like that, if you search for the post, it's somewhere in this thread.
so basicly i cant post my opionin that i dislike geno, oh wow kill me.

also look at other third parties, all of them have had more than one game with a character from ther franchis in it

Sonicteam has had countless tiltles on nintendo consles
Konami has had 3 or 4
And if megaman gets in, well they had a ton too

Geno unfortunatly has had one, wich could mean nothing, but i think it does mean somthing

Top Bottom