• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Ya, amidst all of the fan groups and what not and all of the comparisons and debates over FFVII and OoT. All of those "WHO WOULD WIN? LINK OR CLOUD" threads everywhere.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
What other third-parties were in M&L?
I mean Square-Enix, if Geno was confirmed, would get some sort of benefit.

In that context, he is. Before whatever Sonic game first appeared on a Nintendo system. That can be considered the same kind of situation as with Sonic. Maybe not to the same degree but Squaresoft announcing they were making games for Nintendo again and SEGA announcing they were making games for Nintendo were pretty much the same thing...along with Capcom announcing those (what would obviously not be true) exclusive games for the GCN and Konami announcing MGS:TS. Cloud has a sort of rivalry with Link but, again, not as extreme as Sonic and Mario's.
It cannot be the same situation as Sonic. Sonic actually made more than a 5 minute appearance the first time he was in a game on a Nintendo console. Sonic has really been around since the Gamecube's debut, and Cloud just kind of came along packaged with Kingdom Hearts CoM. I have never heard of a rivalry with Cloud and Link.

Cless

Smash Champion
Wow, totally missed that in the 90's. Did not draw any sort of comparison between the two, and I didn't frequent a lot of message boards back then.

I wasn't even talking about Sonic being on a Nintendo system. I was talking about the whole Genesis-SNES war and how Sonic and Mario were at the forefront of that.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
The original Sonic the Hedgehog can be found on the Wii VC and on the GBA. Where is Final Fantasy VII's launch on a Nintendo counsel?
Well, a touched up rerelease could come out for DS with the next couple years or they might wait until they remake V and VI before remaking it. In terms of the VC they'd probably wanna release the first six first so you might have to wait a while for that.

Why do we keep getting on Cloud anyway? I'd say Cecil or Terra would have a better chance.

Cless

Smash Champion
If VII is gonna get remade, it's gonna be for the PS3. Not the DS. VII has no business being on a Nintendo console. Sony would never let it happen.

Sieg, go spam up the Sonic boards.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
If VII is gonna get remade, it's gonna be for the PS3. Not the DS. VII has no business being on a Nintendo console. Sony would never let it happen.

Sieg, go spam up the Sonic boards.
Sony's gotta be running out of money to pump into SE and Konami to try get them to save their systems. I dunno if Sony'd have enough say in it by then to really influence where it'd end up. It might be on the successors to the DS or Wii for all we know.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Are we talking about Cloud again? As I said in a post to Devistlian a couple of days ago, Cloud barely qualifies because Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories isn't even a Nintendo exclusive anymore. The Final Mix of the Japanese version of Kingdom Hearts 2 included a 3D version of CoM so, in one fell swoop, Square Enix's two biggest icons internationally, Sora and Cloud, are left out to dry.

I've wanted to bring up these thoughts also because only a few people have really thought of them:

Sakurai seems to be paying more attention to the SNES and Gamecube eras this time around like how Melee mainly payed attention to the NES and N64 eras. For example, Yoshi's flagship stage is from Yoshi's Island, the flagship stage for Metroid is the Super Metroid version of Norfair, Sakurai is finally paying tribute to Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3, and Kirby's Super Star is being referenced in spades. It could be said that Sakurai is going back to the games that he "overlooked" last time around.

Sakurai has also already paid tribute to a ton of joint project games already despite, as many of us know, how Sim City (because Maxis fully gave the rights to the game to Nintendo) was the only one referenced in Melee. So far, this are the games that were made between Nintendo and third parties that have been referenced:

Mario Party 1-8 (stickers)
Star Fox Assault (a stage and trophies)
Donkey Konga 1-3 (various elements)
DK Jungle Beat (a stage and various elements)
F-Zero GX (trophies and various elements)
Sim City (AT)
Sin and Punishment (AT)

What do these have to do with Geno? Well, Super Mario RPG was not only an SNES game but it was also Nintendo's last major release before the N64 came out. Like some of the games I mentioned above, it was not truely referenced in Melee (besides Peach's frying pan and Bowser's claw attack) at all but now the barrier between first/second party games and third party joint projects has basically been torn down. As I've said in other posts, it was also Nintendo's first console joint project (the first was Wario Blast but that was on the Gameboy). It is also the only Mario canon game that hasn't recieved really any true recognition in Smash Bros because of the barrier that once existed. As I said in other posts, it was a game that had many firsts for both the Mario franchise and Nintendo much like how Super Metroid and Donkey Kong Country did but with their respective franchises.

It's just something I wanted to throw out there.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Are we talking about Cloud again? As I said in a post to Devistlian a couple of days ago, Cloud barely qualifies because Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories isn't even a Nintendo exclusive anymore. The Final Mix of the Japanese version of Kingdom Hearts 2 included a 3D version of CoM so, in one fell swoop, Square Enix's two biggest icons internationally, Sora and Cloud, are left out to dry.
Well, that leaves Snake with, what, Ghost Babel as his only Nintendo exclusive?

As for the rest of your post, I think it's more a leaning towards games not featured in SSBM and games that've come out since then. Sakurai talked about not knowing about other Nintendo games in development on the old SSB websites (IE why Link could use the boomerang and Luigi didn't have the vacuum), even though he seems to be able now with TP, so he has a few GCN and GBA, not to mention Wii and DS games, since then they can include. I think they're trying to acknowledge pretty much every unique (as in individual series) game Nintendo's made somehow and not so much they've shifted to different ranges to base stuff on.

My third party most wanted:
1. Terra
2. Cecil
3. Loto
4. Mega Man

RegalBuster

Smash Lord

As for the rest of your post, I think it's more a leaning towards games not featured in SSBM and games that've come out since then. Sakurai talked about not knowing about other Nintendo games in development on the old SSB websites (IE why Link could use the boomerang and Luigi didn't have the vacuum), even though he seems to be able now with TP, so he has a few GCN and GBA, not to mention Wii and DS games, since then they can include. I think they're trying to acknowledge pretty much every unique (as in individual series) game Nintendo's made somehow and not so much they've shifted to different ranges to base stuff on.

1. Terra
2. Cecil
3. Loto
4. Mega Man
3 of his 4 games were nintendo exclusives

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
I seriously hope we get a character tonight, be it Megaman or Geno.

btw since we're doing lists, here's my most wanted characters:

Geno
Isaac
Megaman
Ridley
Claus
WW Link

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Geno
Ridley
Bomberman
Megaman
Claus
K. Rool
S(u)kapon

I probably forgot someone

Yitik

Smash Cadet
Ehh...isn't K Rool already in? He's on the official site.

So when did this thread become a "List Your Most Wanted Characters" topic?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

I thought Snake Eater was a Nintendo exclusive too... Regardless, that still gives Snake a leg up on the other two characters. As for third party characters with the most Nintendo exclusives, Megaman beats Bomberman by only about 4-5 games I believe. (Despite him having almost 30 more games in all.)

As for the rest of your post, I think it's more a leaning towards games not featured in SSBM and games that've come out since then. That too but like I said, it's basically going over the games he "missed" last time around and they are definately covering the bases when it comes to trying to represent the franchises as a whole. Sakurai talked about not knowing about other Nintendo games in development on the old SSB websites (IE why Link could use the boomerang and Luigi didn't have the vacuum), even though he seems to be able now with TP, so he has a few GCN and GBA, not to mention Wii and DS games, since then they can include. Really? Are you sure because Link had the boomerang in the original Smash Bros and it didn't become a "Young Link item" until Ocarina of Time. Also, regarding the vacuum, if that's true, how do you explain the Luigi's Mansion trophy? I think they're trying to acknowledge pretty much every unique (as in individual series) game Nintendo's made somehow and not so much they've shifted to different ranges to base stuff on. You have to admit that there is definately more focus in those regions though. The arcade era also seems to be getting more representation too.

As usual, my responses in red.

1. Terra
2. Cecil
3. Loto
4. Mega Man
Oh, why not:

1. Geno (obviously)
2. Megaman

I really don't want anymore but just for fun and because these characters have extremelly small chances of getting in:

3. Banjo and Kazooie
4. Marina Liteyears
5. Crono

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Ugh... Once again, my internet connection is acting up...

Let's see if it'll come up now:

I thought Snake Eater was a Nintendo exclusive too... Regardless, that still gives Snake a leg up on the other two characters. As for third party characters with the most Nintendo exclusives, Megaman beats Bomberman by only about 4-5 games I believe. (Despite him having almost 30 more games in all.)

As for the rest of your post, I think it's more a leaning towards games not featured in SSBM and games that've come out since then. That too but like I said, it's basically going over the games he "missed" last time around and they are definately covering the bases when it comes to trying to represent the franchises as a whole. Sakurai talked about not knowing about other Nintendo games in development on the old SSB websites (IE why Link could use the boomerang and Luigi didn't have the vacuum), even though he seems to be able now with TP, so he has a few GCN and GBA, not to mention Wii and DS games, since then they can include. Really? Are you sure because Link had the boomerang in the original Smash Bros and it didn't become a "Young Link item" until Ocarina of Time. Also, regarding the vacuum, if that's true, how do you explain the Luigi's Mansion trophy? I think they're trying to acknowledge pretty much every unique (as in individual series) game Nintendo's made somehow and not so much they've shifted to different ranges to base stuff on. You have to admit that there is definately more focus in those regions though. The arcade era also seems to be getting more representation too.

As usual, my responses in red.

1. Terra
2. Cecil
3. Loto
4. Mega Man
Oh, why not:

1. Geno (obviously)
2. Megaman

I really don't want anymore but just for fun and because these characters have extremelly small chances of getting in:

3. Banjo and Kazooie
4. Marina Liteyears
5. Crono

And just because everyone else is doing it, this has been my top ten list for Brawl since May 06:

1. Geno
2. Megaman
3. Diddy Kong (confirmed)
4. King Dedede (confirmed)
5. Krystal (semi-confirmed)
6. Ridley (confirmed that he'll at least be in the game in some form)
7. Vaati (chances severally reduced by the Bosses update)
8. Ray 01 (chances severally reduced by the Stafy update)
9. Lucario or Deoxyes (all his competition has been elminated so... Deoxyes was made into a pokeball pokemon)
10. Captain Olimar

Underdog picks:

1. Toad (deconfirmed)
2. Captain Syrup (chances sucked from the get-go)
3. Takamaru (many of his competitors have been eliminated)

D

Deleted member

My real top 5 wants are (in order):
Geno
Ridley
Bomberman
K. Rool
Claus

igloo9

Smash Apprentice
What are these "icons" everyone is talking about?

People are saying, "icon # rep"

What are you talking about?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What are these "icons" everyone is talking about?

People are saying, "icon # rep"

What are you talking about?

Ah so you're new to the icon theory; I'll explain.

Go to the Dojo site and right click any of the franchise symbols like the Mario mushroom or the Pokemon Pokeball. Then go to properties and you'll see something like this:

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/images/icon/world_b_10.gif

This the URL for the Mario franchise. The bolded part establishes it as the 10th icon.

Here is how all the revealed franchises rank:

1. Smash Bros (basically a grab bag of all the franchises that aren't represented by a playable characters)
2. DK
3. Star Fox
4. Kirby
5. F-Zero
6. Metroid
7. Mother
8. Pokemon
9. Legend of Zelda
10. Mario
11. Yoshi
12. Fire Emblem
13. ??? (but logically it's Game and Watch)
14. Ice Climber
15. Animal Crossing
16. Wario Ware
17. Metal Gear Solid
18. Kid Icarus
19. ???
20. Sonic
21. Nintendo DS

As you'll notice, the franchises are organized by the games they first had a playable rep in. 1-11 is all the playable franchises that were in the orignal, 12-14 are all the franchises that premiered in Melee, and 15 and beyond (because there probably will be more then 21 icons) represents all the new franchises added to Brawl.

igloo9

Smash Apprentice
Ah so you're new to the icon theory; I'll explain.

Go to the Dojo site and right click any of the franchise symbols like the Mario mushroom or the Pokemon Pokeball. Then go to properties and you'll see something like this:

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/images/icon/world_b_10.gif

This the URL for the Mario franchise. The bolded part establishes it as the 10th icon.

Here is how all the revealed franchises rank:

1. Smash Bros (basically a grab bag of all the franchises that aren't represented by a playable characters)
2. DK
3. Star Fox
4. Kirby
5. F-Zero
6. Metroid
7. Mother
8. Pokemon
9. Legend of Zelda
10. Mario
11. Yoshi
12. Fire Emblem
13. ??? (but logically it's Game and Watch)
14. Ice Climber
15. Animal Crossing
16. Wario Ware
17. Metal Gear Solid
18. Kid Icarus
19. ???
20. Sonic
21. Nintendo DS

As you'll notice, the franchises are organized by the games they first had a playable rep in. 1-11 is all the playable franchises that were in the orignal, 12-14 are all the franchises that premiered in Melee, and 15 and beyond (because there probably will be more then 21 icons) represents all the new franchises added to Brawl.
So basically, if someone says "Icon 7 rep", that means they want any character from the Mother series?

And also, Icon 13 and 19 doesn't work for me.

Yitik

Smash Cadet
Wow. So these people have memorized what each of these twenty one numbers is supposed to mean? I could understand that if they were fighter pilots, but this is a video game! Way outta my league, mate :D .

Top Bottom