• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

LemonKing

Smash Journeyman
In all fairness, Sheik was a transformation of Zelda (part of her moveset), which was fine, considering that was what Zelda was to us at that time. Sheik is just an alter ego of Zelda. Geno will not be part of a moveset and is not an alterego. As far as Doc...he was basically Mario with a different outfit and a couple different effects. Used as filler. Do you really want Geno to be a filler with basically the same exact moveset as someone else? I didn't think so. So, you really should try to refrain from those types of arguments.

Please don't take that as me dissing on Geno or his chances. I'm just trying to help and make clarifications.

Also, please cut the flaming guys. Try to be a little more civil to people who don't support him.
You didn't give me the chance to answer the question. Even if Geno was put in the game as a clone I would not care. I would just like to see his name get out their so there would be a chance of another game starring him. That is the true goal of most True Geno Fans.

Also, the only reason I flame someone who just randomly comes in is because:

A. They didn't take the time to read the rebuttles we had posted on the front page
B. They obviously have never played the game
C. I'm sick and tired of having to explain myself to all of the people who just randomly come in here and say "Geno shouldn't be in the game. AT ftw."

I know who Geno is. He's neat, can do some unique moves, has a whirl attack which deals 9999 damage, and he is cool. But I still don't think Geno should be playable. I also think 4 reps for the Mario series is good enough.
Why should the Mario series LOSE a rep from the past game? How does that make any sense?

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice
That means nothing. And if you read my post I said usually.

Besides Dr.Mario is technically Mario. And Sheik is a part of Zelda.

I know who Geno is. He's neat, can do some unique moves, has a whirl attack which deals 9999 damage, and he is cool. But I still don't think Geno should be playable. I also think 4 reps for the Mario series is good enough.
Why do you think only four characters should be represented for Mario? Is there a rule or a limit? If the roster is flooded with Mario characters, who cares. It won't make the game any worse..

R.I.D.L.E.Y.

Smash Cadet
Also, the only reason I flame someone who just randomly comes in is because:

A. They didn't take the time to read the rebuttles we had posted on the front page
B. They obviously have never played the game
C. I'm sick and tired of having to explain myself to all of the people who just randomly come in here and say "Geno shouldn't be in the game. AT ftw."
Flaming is still flaming. And it seems to me that Xerroo is being pretty reasonable in his posts.

You really want Geno to be a clone? I would think even AT would be better than clone...at least he'd be original then. Is that a general consensus around here? Clone is better than not at all playable?

Xerroo

Smash Journeyman
Dr.Mario shouldn't of even been in Melee. It would of been fine with Mario, Bowser, Peach, and Luigi.

You can't go wrong with those right.

Imo 4 reps is perfect for the Mario franchise.

Xerroo

Smash Journeyman
Dr.Mario shouldn't of even been in Melee. It would of been fine with Mario, Bowser, Peach, and Luigi.

Enigma14

Smash Champion

the biggest franchise getting 4...right...

R.I.D.L.E.Y.

Smash Cadet
FROM THE ANIME.

Let's just talk games.
Actually, Pikachu is the mascot because he's like the only presentable Pokemon there is. All the rest look like ridiculously hideous monsters and such. Japan likes cute things. That's why he's the mascot. That's also why Jiggs got in in 64 and why Pichu got in in Melee.

Sorry for going off topic, but I just wanted to clarify that.

Xerroo

Smash Journeyman
And you're point being.

This isn't about how many reps each franchise gets but what characters represent each franchise. Mario, Bowser, Peach and Luigi are the perfect reps for the Mario franchise. No one comes close to them IMO.

Same with Pokemon. Pikachu, PT, Jiggs, and Mewtwo are the best candidates.

Dhaka

Smash Cadet

Yea... I agree with enigma with this statement... Mario is the biggest video game franchise in the world. I'd say they should have 6 reps, so both Geno and Bowser Jr. can get in (Bowser Jr. because he actually is an important character...like in Mario Galaxy, and Geno because he's considered a retro Mario character thats technically half owned by Square, but has a tremendous fanbase)

To Gimpy: I don't want to seem rude man, but it seems more like you just don't want Geno in Brawl. If you don't like him, thats your opinion, but we are trying to stick to the topic of Geno being released in Brawl. Your complaining about not liking Geno is trivial, and possibly considered spam, more than it is helping Geno get into Brawl. We here want Geno in, and that's what we discuss. We like Geno, and discuss how he should be in Brawl, what he should look like, draw little freikin pictures of him, guessing what he will look like, etc etc. As I said, I'm sorry if I seem rude, but there's no need for more Geno-hater spam here. Thank you

Enigma14

Smash Champion
And you're point being.

This isn't about how many reps each franchise gets but what characters represent each franchise. Mario, Bowser, Peach and Luigi are the perfect reps for the Mario franchise. No one comes close to them IMO.
Alright then lets say who represents with franchise...

Who should represent Fire Emblem? The face of it or the lord who is known among everyone? Or the only character to have been in all the games, Anna?

Who represents the MOTHER serise? Lucas, Ness or Ninten?

If it weren't for the anime or manga or Japan being liking cute things who would represent the pokemon series? Is Mewtwo cute?

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Again, this isn't about how much each franchise should have but who represents each franchise.
I did post that.

Also Dhaka we do get off topic, but only because we run out of things to talk about Geno but when we talk about pictures and what he will look like thats when we're on topic.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
To Gimpy: I don't want to seem rude man, but it seems more like you just don't want Geno in Brawl. If you don't like him, thats your opinion, but we are trying to stick to the topic of Geno being released in Brawl. Your complaining about not liking Geno is trivial, and possibly considered spam, more than it is helping Geno get into Brawl. We here want Geno in, and that's what we discuss. We like Geno, and discuss how he should be in Brawl, what he should look like, draw little freikin pictures of him, guessing what he will look like, etc etc. As I said, I'm sorry if I seem rude, but there's no need for more Geno-hater spam here. Thank you
when have i ever said anything anti-geno? i'm not his biggest fan of geno myself, he'd be a cool character though, but that has NOTHING to do with me trying to keep this ON TOPIC.

I know its crazy that on these forums mods actually PAY ATTENTION and dont want spam, but that was one a HORRIBLE post. Have you read anything i've posted? You guys talking about how you want him to be, drawing him, guessing what he looks like and what not is EXACTLY what i want you to be doing. It's what belongs here. Spamming about the ridley people and talking about non related things is NOT what i want.

Talk about geno = good, talk about NOT geno = bad.

it's not hard folks.

Xerroo

Smash Journeyman
Marth is one of the main lords from the start so it only makes since to include him. Ike I think was added due to his popularity but that he was THE MAIN character in his game.

I think Ness and Lucas should be in.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Marth is one of the main lords from the start so it only makes since to include him. Ike I think was added due to his popularity but that he was THE MAIN character in his game.

I think Ness and Lucas should be in.
Whose job was it to collect the stars? Who was the catalyst? Who got the game/story going?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
But Geno isn't exactly a "main" character of the Mario franchise. And the characters in Melee are usually the main hero, heronie, sidekick, rival, or villain.

And Nintendo has already filled those roles thus making the Mario franchise the only franchise in the Smash Bros series to have a "freebie", so to speak. With Dr. Mario more then likely getting the boot and Wario, DK, and Yoshi representing their own franchises, the Mario franchise currently has 3 reps. Luigi is obviously coming back so that makes 4. Add another person and you have the same as Melee and add one more to that add you only have one more then Melee. When you look at it that way, we'd basically be getting two characters for the price of one.

Also, Geno's participation would could not only give a tip of the hat to the Mario RPGs but also to Square Enix, which we all know is one of the most acclaimed third parties in the industry. Adding someone like Bowser Jr or Waluigi would meerly represent the platforming/spin off games which, clearly, already have plenty of representation because of the four Mario character pre-mentioned. In this situation, Geno would represent something much different from what the other possible characters could. Throw in the unique moveset possibilities Geno offers and it becomes immediately clear that he'd be something that Smash hasn't yet seen before.

It should also be noted that Melee was more about who "needed" to be added for the really big franchises which is why Bowser, Peach, Zelda, Ganondorf, etc were added. From what we've seen so far, this philosophy has continued but Sakurai is more intune with what the fans want this time around.

The fact is you are being the ignorant one for being blind in the fact that Geno has little chance of being playabe.

I love how you say he has little chance of being playable and then don't even bother explaining why while the other Geno fans here have been pouring torrents of information on you explaining why they beg to differ...

I'm sorry but I'm just thinking with logic here. Just because he's popular doesn't mean he'll be playable. Deoxys and Goroh were popular and look where it got them.

Keep in mind that neither of these characters even appeared in Sakurai's journal (Geno was mentioned five times and tied as the most mentioned character, mind you) and that they have their own complexities. For example, Deoxyes has 5 different forms and Goroh was another swordsmen that didn't the developers very much to work with thus, if he had become playable, he would have probably been doomed to have a stale moveset especially when you consider the number of swordsmen Brawl already has.

So if anything, Geno will most likely be an assist trophy.

Why would Nintendo fork over the money to rent his rights if all he was going to do was have a meer cameo? Besides, we've already had 18 ATs confirmed, 7 of the confirmed playable franchises don't even have one yet, the Mario franchise already has two, and there are plenty of smaller franchises Nintendo hasn't tapped into yet.

And Ice Climbers was a favorite of Sakurai's

Actually, accoring to an interview in 2006, his favorite characters are Little Mac and Lolo.
My responses are above.

Xerroo

Smash Journeyman
How many games was Geno in compared to Mario?

Since Geno was only in 1 Mario game, it's really not enough to warrent him playable. Now if Geno was in Mario games from then on, I'd have no issues with him being playable.

LemonKing

Smash Journeyman

Since Geno was only in 1 Mario game, it's really not enough to warrent him playable. Now if Geno was in Mario games from then on, I'd have no issues with him being playable.
Is that seriously the only thing you have?

Geno may of been in more games if he wasn't owned by partially by Square. A little after SM:RPG Square and Nintendo got into a huge fight because of Final Fantasy 7. Why would a company that hates Nintendo fork of the rights?

That is besides the point though. Sakurai has proven that people who haven't been in many games can still get into Brawl. I don't see why you are sticking with that defense.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

You dont read do you? im pretty sure that argument is the least good and repeated like hundreds of times in a different way, plus he was in 2 games. man, dedicated character threads have it tuff ;(

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Is that seriously the only thing you have?

Geno may of been in more games if he wasn't owned by partially by Square. A little after SM:RPG Square and Nintendo got into a huge fight because of Final Fantasy 7. Why would a company that hates Nintendo fork of the rights?

That is besides the point though. Sakurai has proven that people who haven't been in many games can still get into Brawl. I don't see why you are sticking with that defense.
Ice climbers = 1 game before melee
Roy (melee was his first game)

Don't forget he did ask for what the fans wanted.

You can't compare Geno to others because of the many vairables and formulas there are. Thats like comparing Pikachu to Marth, you can't do it.

Also would u rather see a cool character be a 1 time character(who made a memorable impression) or a filler like Waluigi?

Xerroo

Smash Journeyman
You can pour all the information you want at me. It still doesn't make it right.

And Geno got onto the poll only because of his high demand. Keep in mind Sakurai wants well known characters and popular ones bore him.

I don't deny Geno's awesomeness but I don't feel Geno should be playable in Brawl.

Waluigi sucks and shouldn't be in period.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
You can pour all the information you want at me. It still doesn't make it right.

And Geno got onto the poll only because of his high demand. Keep in mind Sakurai wants well known characters and popular ones bore him.

I don't deny Geno's awesomeness but I don't feel Geno should be playable in Brawl.

"You can pour all the information you want at me" = I put up a mental barrier and wont listen to any arguments, what I think is how it should be.

Seriously, arent you guys tired of debating? just point to the the page with the info and tell them to piss off.

I really like the idea of Geno in brawl. People should be more open.

Enigma14

Smash Champion

What doesn't make what right?

Cause in your opinion you only want 4 Mario reps. But everyone knows there will be more Mario reps since its the largest franchise. Also he said he likes retro and Geno is retro.

LemonKing

Smash Journeyman

How does that make ANY sense at all?

Seriously, are you guys tired of debating? just point to the the page with the info and tell them to piss off.
Until I hear one plausible argument against Geno I don't see any reason to stop arguing. When someone tries to put our hopes down I like to deal with them personally.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
"You can pour all the information you want at me" = I put up a mental barrier and wont listen to any arguments, what I think is how it should be.

Seriously, are you guys tired of debating? just point to the the page with the info and tell them to piss off.
I do that but they don't even check the links... >.>

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something

1.Yes it does :chuckle:.
2.Only ? He was on the melee ones as well , And Mario basically get's a "Free" Pass for the fact that they already have all there important characters...:/.
3.Explain plz plawkz?
4.Well if we went by number of game logic then we would have waluigi and daisy :ohwell:.
Oh and Geno was in the first mario RPG OUT OF SIX! SIX I TELL YOU! SIX! So err try again.(Not that i'm saying he's 100% Confirmed but these arguements...)
Anyhow i have a feeling that geno will be pretty easy to unlock since nintendo will have to pay for him but not "That" Easy , I'd like him to be harder personally but i hope sakurai does a well job at the moveset.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

I can't even begin to describe how terrible this logic is... You are aware that Mario has starred in probably close to 120 games in his lifespan, right? After that, the person in a distant second is Megaman with a little over 80. In comparison, Link has starred in 13, Samus has only starred in 10, and Captain Falcon has starred in 4, and Ness, Roy, the Ice Climbers, Pit, Ike, and Lucas have starred in 1... It should also be noted that Ganondorf, Pichu, and Shiek only appeared in one canon game before Melee game out and that Geno is the only original Mario RPG character besides Fawful to appear in more then one game and play a role.

In conclusion, being a one hit wonder is not even a factor as long as the character played a significant role in at least one game and/or the game had a decent impact on Nintendo.

Xerroo

Smash Journeyman
I read the information.

First, kickass moveset there.

2nd, I feel that highly important or iconic characters that are the main part of the franchise worthy of playable status. Sure Geno was important in SMRPG but not to the franchise as a whole.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
How does that make ANY sense at all?

Until I hear one plausible argument against Geno I don't see any reason to stop arguing. When someone tries to put our hopes down I like to deal with them personally.

Yeh, but you can't get through to some people.

Ok, So why do people not want Geno in brawl? Why would Sakurai not want him in? He put worse characters in b4 such as pichu and others, at least geno was requested by fans, sakurai listens to fans, im pretty sure, and so, why wouldnt he be in huh?

LemonKing

Smash Journeyman
I read the information.

2nd, I feel that highly important or iconic characters that are the main part of the franchise worthy of playable status. Sure Geno was important in SMRPG but not to the franchise as a whole.
You fail so hard.

SM:RPG was what lead to the creation of 5 other Mario RPG genre games. Geno was basically the head of SMRPG, so yes he did make a good contribution to his franchise.

I hate when people like you call us ignorant Geno fanboys when you don't even do your research.

prettymanfairy

Smash Lord
I read the information.

I respect your opinion, even though you do not agree with me.

Thats all that really needs to be said. He doesn't hate the character, just doesn't think he'll be in. No need to get militant guys.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Did you guys ever get rid of that Harry Megamix guy yet?
He's probably already banned , FMOI Took care of him through PM's.

I respect your opinion, even though you do not agree with me.

Thats all that really needs to be said. He doesn't hate the character, just doesn't think he'll be in. No need to get militant guys.
I Agree with that , Besides it's not like he's being totally rude or anything.

Anyhow how do you think geno will look like in brawl ? Go find fan-art of him :p ? Anyone have any new subspace idea's ? Or will you try and main geno ? I Think i will try to main him , Haven't found any fan-art , He will probably look the same as in SMRPG If he's in but with a "Royal" Cape , And i think that he might team in the subspace with Falco as well as lucas maybe ? Just tossing out idea's here to get us to TALK ABOUT GENO :p.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I read the information.

Ah but there's the rub, SMRPG was a very important game in not only Mario's history but Nintendo's as well. For Nintendo, it was:

1. their first isometric 3D game (meaning both the character sprites and backgrounds are technically 3D, keep in mind that this game came out before Super Mario 64)

2. the first console game created between them and a third party (Square Soft in this case)

*I should further stress the importance of this point. I'm going to list some games and you tell me what they all have in common: Mario Party 1-8, Donkey Konga 1-3, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, F-Zero GX, the Legend of Zelda: Four Swords, the Legend of Zelda: the Minish Cap, the Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages, the Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons, Mario Hoops 3 on 3, Star Fox Assualt, Sin and Punishment, Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, Super Smash Brothers Brawl... Have you guessed the answer yet? These are all games that Nintendo has created with the help of third parties. Keep in mind that before Super Mario RPG, Nintendo was very "hands off" about its games and didn't let hardly anyone mess with their franchises (except when it came to computer and the God Awful CD-I games but that's a different story.). Obviously, since then, Nintendo has opened up and become very connected with other third parties, which as we all know, are incredibly essential when it comes to the success or failure of a console.*

3. the first Nintendo canon game to feature all of Miyamoto's then current major franchises in some form. (Mario, DK, LoZ, Star Fox and F-Zero, *Metroid also makes an appearance too*)

For Mario it was:

1. the first non platforming canon game.

2. the first game that Mario and Bowser teamed up.

3. the first game where Bowser and Peach were given true personalites.

4. the first Mario game with a complete story and character development.

5. the first Mario game to introduce the concept of star collecting (a concept that has been used in nearly all the canon games ever since)

6. the first Mario game where Mario interacts with creatures besides Toads or Yoshis and some of the are even his technical enemies like koopas, goombas, boos, magikoopas, etc.

7. the first Mario game that really had a sense of humor and a sense of wackiness (yet another trend that is obviously seen in the Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi games)

There's more but I think you get the idea.

You're right, outside of Mario RPG, Geno isn't very significant but now that you know all of this, how you can possibly say that Super Mario RPG wasn't an important game in either Mario or Nintendo's history?

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God
I was thinking today and I came up with my greatest idea to date.

My first son's name, when I get married and all that jazz, is going to be Geno. As for a middle name, Star for a girl and Gaz for a guy.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeh good points, to me and my friends it was a revolutionnary game and ive played it about 5-6 times by now... more when it comes out on the wii.

I approve of Geno in ssbb.. and if Teeb approves, well,.. it makes one more person who approves i gues...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I was thinking today and I came up with my greatest idea to date.

My first son's name, when I get married and all that jazz, is going to be Geno. As for a middle name, Star for a girl and Gaz for a guy.
Unless your family has an expansive italian heritage, expect that kid to be made fun of and beat up everyday of his life. :laugh:

ScubaGoomba

Smash Apprentice
On another thread a posted a way to have Smithy work into SE as a boss that would, naturally, be a way to tie Geno into the game. Maybe he could be partnered with Lucas; the doll, which happens to have fallen under Lucas's possession, is brought to life to fight against the Minister.

Also, Geno's look in Brawl really has me on the edge. If he's brought into the game, it's hard to say how they would really approach him. If they keep him the same, it would be fine, probably, but there's also a chance he could be... trendified (which isn't always a terrible thing). I can't find the picture, but there's one fan art that makes Geno look absolutely terrifying. Long, spindly fingers... giant, creepy eyes. He looked like a Salad Fingers, almost. Pictures like that make me kind of hope Geno isn't put in.

Top Bottom