• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Actually, I'm almost postive Geno was the number 1 requested character on the Toukoken.
Second. King Dedede was first. That's still pretty good, though.

geno deserves to get in about as much as game and watch should return.in other words, not at all.

yeah it isnt a logical argument but i needa research him more before i get one.
And why don't either Geno or G&W deserve to not be in Brawl?

Oh, wait, you say yourself you have no logical reason.

You were an obscure little child playing Sega Genesis during the SNES times weren't you?
Don't diss the Genesis, it was a great system.

The Director

Smash Lord
I just hope Sakurai likes Geno as much as some of us fans do...

In terms of being a hidden character, (if he's even in there) where would you place Geno in terms of difficulty in obtaining? Probably the medium range...not too easy like 'beat adventure mode on any difficulty without losing a life' easy...and not like 'play 70 hours or gameplay' hard.

It sounds crazy but it makes sense. :chuckle: I'm hoping to the heavens for Geno in Brawl...I want to make him my secondary!

DarkDrai

Smash Rookie
Geno is one of my favorite characters, ever! Heck yeah, I hope he's in Brawl! And...number 2 in the rankings? O_o He has to be in... I mean, come on.

Actually, I think he should be just a tad harder than medium. Then, when you finally unlock him and realize how great of a fighter he is, it'll be worth it so much more! (He better be a good fighter!)

You know what one of the best parts about having Geno in Brawl is gonna be? His fanbase is gonna soar. Which may incidentally lead to more appearances...perhaps?

On another note, I think Mallow would be a pretty fun character to play, too. Stretchy arms, cymbals, and lightning attacks. Oh my. The only thing that wouldn't quite make as much sense is that Mallow isn't supposed to be able to jump very well. But who cares? Smash is allowed to break a few rules to make it more fun!

GENO FTW!!!

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
Premium
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
So fellow Geno, Enthusiasts. I know the composer list neither confirms or denies the use of character from games they've worked on in the past, but who else is stoked about the inclusion of Yoko Shimomura?

Many of you may know her better as the Kingdom Hearts composer... and many may have forgotten some of her past works. Particularly, this one:

http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/sounds/mid/smrpgfrstmze1.mid

Hope points rising.

Booshnig

Smash Cadet
So fellow Geno, Enthusiasts. I know the composer list neither confirms or denies the use of character from games they've worked on in the past, but who else is stoked about the inclusion of Yoko Shimomura?

Many of you may know her better as the Kingdom Hearts composer... and many may have forgotten some of her past works. Particularly, this one:

http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/sounds/mid/smrpgfrstmze1.mid

Hope points rising.
This is extremely good news.
Geno better make it in. :o

Pomfrod

Smash Apprentice
I feel both my potential elation and sadness increasing.

I hope they announce Geno quickly if they've chosen him. The news of Shimomura, coupled with the recent interview stating Brawl will feature "fanservice" has me unreasonably hopeful. I think I'm gonna go carve a Geno out of wood now.

It actually looks like this warp pipe dream is going to come true. I think I'll cry if it happens. On webcam. And put it on youtube.

"Mario, will you play with me?"

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
Premium
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
If Geno does make it in, this will be one happy Darkfur. I remember way back when SS64 came out. My wishlist had Ness and Jigglypuff and I was absolutely floored when I found out about them. I seriously couldn't believe it. [Course... now I hardly use Ness. *laugh*]

If Geno makes it in I think my level of excitement from before will be reached. *humms Forest Maze*

SkyeYuki

Smash Apprentice
Geno's a cool guy. I'm sure he has a decent chance, as he was a star in a Nintendo game and belongs to Square-Soft(who seems to be returning to Nintendo lately in the form of various ports, remakes, and spin-offs).

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
Super Mario RPG is one of my favorite games of all time. I think I always like to use Mario, Peach, and Geno as my final 3 against Smithy. His ultimate weapon is too good.

Pomfrod

Smash Apprentice
Nah. Too many good locations in SMRPG for Geno to get shafted. If Snake gets a stage, as it seems, Geno should, too. Star Road, perhaps? Or the Factory?

SkyeYuki

Smash Apprentice
I really hope everyone gets their own stage. Hyrule Temple with Fire Emblem music playing annoyed the heck out of me. >=( If Geno does get, in his stage should be like...a collage of areas in SMRPG, maybe? I don't remember if there was a home Geno had or anything...

SkyeYuki

Smash Apprentice
Geno - Here’s an interesting one. A character that actually belongs to Square, but belongs in the Marioverse. What does Sakurai think? Well, actually, he’s intrigued. Geno is tied for second as well, and Sakurai has been noted as asking around for what the character is like. When he starts asking, it’s a good thing, btw. It means he’s bothering to learn who they are But Geno has been mentioned many-a-times, and Sakurai is listening to hard to each suggestion. And he’s yet to turn them down. That’s something, right?

Very interesting.

However, another thing I saw of note in there completely unrelated to Geno:

Mother Characters - I’m gonna lump this together, because there isn’t really one specific character. Essentially, the entire party of Mother 2, Ninten from Mother 1, and Lucas, Claus, and Kumatora from Mother 3 all popped up on Sakurai’s poll. Claus got a bigger deal of attention, considering his “LOL SECRET,” and Sakurai, who DID WORK ON MOTHER 3 *hint hint*, mentioned amongst the letters that he would be including stuff from the game. Now, firstly, he confirmed in Famitsu that Mother 3 music was appearing in Brawl. Secondly, he confirmed that had EB2/64/M3 been released pre SSB64, Ness would’ve been replaced by Lucas. He even held out for it to be released prior to Melee, to try and put in Lucas then. So, now that Lucas is out, what happens to Ness….?

MY POOR NESS!! ;-;

Devastlian

Smash Lord
And now for something probably completely meaningless.

Apparently Itadeki Street DS (the DS iteration of (Square-)Enix' Japan only Monopoly-esque game that features Dragon Quest and Mario characters) will feature at least one song from Super Mario RPG. I don't know what this could possibly mean but at least the game hasn't been forgotten. And...there are still a few character slots ?'d out on the site so maybe Geno will be a secret character in ISDS.

Here's a link if you wanna listen: http://www.square-enix.co.jp/itastds/ It's the third one on the little music player. (Turn your volume down before you click the link, though, 'cause the flash intro is kinda loud.)

Fawriel

Smash Master
Hah, thanks for reviving the thread with something on-topic. I think I remember the song... *nods*

I've been meaning to ask...
What *does* everyone like so much about Geno? :p
I mean, I've played SMRPG, I've listened to that forest maze song remix on and off for hours and Geno is interesting and all... but I still don't see why he's THAT popular.
Plus, I can't really picture him in Brawl due to... being a puppet. His movements would probably be kind of... you know, wooden.

So, convince me! What's so superl33t****ingawesome about Geno?

GenG

Smash Lord
Devastlian said:
And now for something probably completely meaningless.
That's EVERYTHING but meaningless. Awesome find, there are Dragon Quest characters, Super Mario characters and misterious "Guest" characters yet to reveal. Let's pray for a ****ing revival of Super Mario RPG. Remix is awesome.

Fawriel said:
For me, not was is just about Geno himself, but the scenario that Super Mario RPG created: One of the best franchises in gaming crossed with one of the most popular ones by the top notch company (at that time), Squaresoft. They succeeded in creating a RPG with the Mario feel (instant classic) and I give them props for that, following Mario RPGs tried to re-create this feeling again.

Within this scenario, Geno was a cool and silent character (what isn't common in the Mario universe, like Metaknight in the Kirby universe), with a mystic nature (he came from the Star Road, neverseen place which is kind of romantic) and an epic role in the plot. Being a spirit who possesed a popular action doll to actually have presence in the ground below, and the doll itself had a very cool design. Geno's mood is perfect for Brawl, with all that star-ish and celestial-ish theme seen in games like Kirby or the Rainbow Road from Mario Kart.

And appearing once in a classic game somehow made him legendary, that increased its value.

Pomfrod

Smash Apprentice
Hah, thanks for reviving the thread with something on-topic. I think I remember the song... *nods*

I've been meaning to ask...
What *does* everyone like so much about Geno? :p
I mean, I've played SMRPG, I've listened to that forest maze song remix on and off for hours and Geno is interesting and all... but I still don't see why he's THAT popular.
Plus, I can't really picture him in Brawl due to... being a puppet. His movements would probably be kind of... you know, wooden.

Yes, he is wooden. Which is why his moveset has a lot more potential than many of the other impendings. And a load of various starry projectiles for smashes and B moves. He's pretty much the incarnate god of the Mario universe, who just so happens to be inhabiting a child's doll. The very fact that he is a toy lends itself to some diverse and non-anthropoid motion for the character animations. And besides, being able to "picture" something in Brawl is a rather moot point. Smash has a little of everything, a puppet upsets the balance by a factor of 0.

Fawriel

Smash Master
And besides, being able to "picture" something in Brawl is a rather moot point. Smash has a little of everything, a puppet upsets the balance by a factor of 0.
Oh, I'm not saying he doesn't fit in or anything. It would also be a shame for myself to say that I can't imagine a moveset for him ( I'm proud of being imaginative! )...
It's just kinda hard for me to get around the fact that his face and stuff would probably be unmoving... on the other hand, you never really get that close. I guess with lots of sparkly star stuff, he could still look vivid enough... *ponders*

I'm far from insulting Geno or his fans or anything, in fact, I want to *learn* to like him since he's so interesting and likely to appear. :p

k!llsw!tch

Smash Ace
I dont see how Geno got so popular ive never even heard of him till i played superstar saga. I want 3rd party characters but does he have to take a 3rd party slot why can't he be with the others he was in Mario RPG meaning he was related to Mario......knowing smash bros they will stick like 20 characters that have appeared in a Mario title ect ect. I don't see why Square Enix don't just give nintendo him.....ok before i go on don't flame i do not know much about Geno..... but as i was saying why shouldn't we let the 3rd party slots for acutal 3rd party characters that make more sense to the public. I don't wanna see a 3rd party character slot taken up by a Mario related character

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Here's a link if you wanna listen: http://www.square-enix.co.jp/itastds/ It's the third one on the little music player. (Turn your volume down before you click the link, though, 'cause the flash intro is kinda loud.)
Holy crap it's the Mushroom Kingdom theme! Uber-leetness abounds.

Fawriel said:
This IS one of the reasons I want him in. He would be an incredibly unique character. Almost all of Geno's attacks in RPG were projectile based, so giving him some slow, powerful projectiles would offset the current slow, powerful characters, who are absolutely USELESS from further than arm's width (I'm looking at you Bowser, DK, and Ganondorf). The interesting part is that Geno could still probably be pretty nimble, but his actual attacks would be slow and powerful, sort of like if you exaggerated Falcon a bit more. If you made everything about Falcon a little slower (movements and moves) and replaced his current specials with projectiles, and put them in a character roughly Ness' height and weight, then you'd be pretty close to what I think Geno should be.

Fawriel said:
It's just kinda hard for me to get around the fact that his face and stuff would probably be unmoving...
Actually, if you look at his face in the concept art for RPG, he's got sort of a nutcracker-looking mouth:

At least, that's what it looks like to me. And don't forget, in exactly ONE of his sprites, he does open his mouth (in his laughing animation):

Fawriel

Smash Master
Heh, I did notice the nutcracker mouth...

But it seems like Geno in general doesn't care much about his lack of facial muscles.
*points at the top picture*

EDIT: Oh yeah, he closes his eyes in that laughing animation, too.
Guess I stand corrected in terms of face.
And there's nothing some nice sparkles can't fix in terms of liveliness anyway.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Actually, if you look at his face in the concept art for RPG, he's got sort of a nutcracker-looking mouth:

At least, that's what it looks like to me. And don't forget, in exactly ONE of his sprites, he does open his mouth (in his laughing animation):

Intresting, I never even noticed that. Funny, I doubt very many people noticed the nutcracker mouth. As much as I would like Geno for Brawl, Megaman and Sonic come first on my list, but after them he should be in (and if not Crono). Geno or Crono would be prefect reps for Square Enix in Brawl, and either way, I'm more than happy!

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
The nutcracker mouth was the first thing I ever noticed, right after the fact that he's a toy and his cape. Still, Geno owns. I beat the secret boss in SMRPG:LSS with all my characters level 25 and below(ultimate weapons helped some)

GenoWhirl

Smash Rookie
Yes this is my favorite topic. I heard somewhere that Sakurai said that he was considering Geno as a first party character. That means that another slot could be used for a third party!

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
The nutcracker mouth was the first thing I ever noticed, right after the fact that he's a toy and his cape. Still, Geno owns. I beat the secret boss in SMRPG:LSS with all my characters level 25 and below(ultimate weapons helped some)
ive done it at 16 before. i never tried to go any lower than that, lol.

geno is amazing. if he gets in, ill have too many mains to keep track of!!!

GenoWhirl

Smash Rookie
I think people have beaten Culex with Mario at lv. 3, Mallow at lv. 3, Geno at lv. 6, Bowser at lv. 8, and Peach at lv. 9. But good job.

Top Bottom