• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
No, PrinnyFlute, I'm not useing snake as an example, although you may laugh at the flimsy scrap I AM useing.

Here it is one more time, I'll try to keep it short:
In an interview a while ago, Miyamoto was asked about Sonic being in Brawl. He said that, although he knew how popular Sonic was and how many people wanted to see him in Brawl, nothing had yet been done because Sega hadn't contacted them (the Brawl team) about it.
Now, my reasoning is as follows: if the Brawl team isn't going to contact Sega about Sonic, despite his (amazingly durable) popularity, then why would they contact Square about Geno? Taken further, it seems that the Brawl team is just waiting for third parties to contact them rather than the other way around, which makes sense considering how much work they already have with Brawl. They probably just don't want to bother with the legal red tape, and so they have an open door policy instead of asking around.

Now, I'll admit this is shakey grounds, but right now it's also the only hint at the Brawl teams policy on aquiring third party characters that I know of, so untill something better comes along I'll stick with it.
It sounds like you may have something, though. What was that about nintendo already being in talks? Who with?

Stryks

Smash Hero
Oyster I already said this b4...

Square doesnt need to contact nintendo for geno, Nintendo has to contact square, keep up with me...

U c, sonic and snake are NOT in the marioverse, tough Geno is, thats what makes him diferent from all the other 3rd parties, knowing geno is 3rd party, that he belongs in the marioverse AND is EXTREMELY popular, sakurai knowing square will probably not call nintendo and ask if geno cna be in, sakurai wil lhave to do it himself, this ould be ackward with any other 3rd aprty like pacman or megaman and sonic, but geno is a 3rd party character that BELONGS in the marioverse, and if sakurai has to go with square to get gneo is then he will probably do it...

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
U c, sonic and snake are NOT in the marioverse, tough Geno is, thats what makes him diferent from all the other 3rd parties, knowing geno is 3rd party, that he belongs in the marioverse AND is EXTREMELY popular, sakurai knowing square will probably not call nintendo and ask if geno cna be in, sakurai wil lhave to do it himself, this ould be ackward with any other 3rd aprty like pacman or megaman and sonic, but geno is a 3rd party character that BELONGS in the marioverse, and if sakurai has to go with square to get gneo is then he will probably do it...

Stryks, that's a purely poetic reason that isn't backed up by much else. I mean, Geno wouldn't be going back to the Marioverse if he was in Brawl, he'd be in whatever crazy crossover smash bros is. He'd probably carry the Square logo, too.
Besides, Geno was part of the Marioverse, but if Square ever wanted to change that it would be changed. He only remains a mario character because square hasn't done anything else with him since. If they wanted to put him in the next Kingdom Hearts, or Final Fantasy, in he'd go, forever changed. They have that kind of power. If Geno gets in (which he still may, you never know) it won't be because he belongs to the Marioverse.

Stryks

Smash Hero
I KNOW geno wouldnt go back to the marioverse, cause its smash, but unless u dont know what SMRPG is, he was and still IS in the marioverse, yes square can make him apepar in FF or any othe rgame, but had they? no, so far hes still part of mairos universe, but owned by another company, that what makes him diferent u gotta agree on this, they can change him all they want, but so far its still the same ol' geno from smrpg, square AINT gonna go and ask nintendo if they can put geno in, when they can easily go for more square-recognizable characters like black mage and others, nintendo has to go to square, cause geno is in the "characters we wont use" vault...

God I h8 explaining this, look geno is 3rd party yes, but he belongs in the mario universe something snake, sonic, megaman and all of the rest arent, so those companies have to go to nintendo, since nintendo has nothing to do with them, theyre not gonna go and ask if they can borrow X character, geno is diferent, hes part of marios universe, but square will probably not ask if geno can get in, and will rather use another character, seeing how hes popular and belongs in the mario universe, nintendo can, could and should go and ask square if they can use geno, or get full rights of him, just like in M&L superstar saga, they wanted geno to apepar even if it was just a cameo, and there he is, but they aint gonna go with sega, capcom or konami or any other company for that matter, to ask if X character can be in, cause X character isnt part of the mairoverse or the nintendoverse for that matter...

*Hopes he gets it this time*

PrinnyFlute

Smash Journeyman
That's a pretty logical reason, Oyster. It does seem like there's a certain effort to keep the Smash series mostly Nintendo-based, and I can understand why Miyamoto and Sakurai wouldn't bother with the 3rd party paperwork unless they were contacted first. More of "You can join our club if you want to go through the trouble," and not so much, "Please, join our Smash club! Please please please!"

I do still believe that Geno is a feasible exception to this theoretic rule, (and theoretic it is.) His cult following and perfect Mario-verse fit combined with the fact that Square may end up being really lax about a character they stand to make no money from might actually propel Sakurai and troops to approach them on this one. ESPECIALLY if they're trying to keep that Nintendo feel, who qualifies more for that classic Nintendo feel in the hands of a thirdparty than Geno? If Sakurai felt it would be a good enough design decision, I think he just might go out of his way.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
Nintendo contacted Sega about the inclusion of sonic, so i think it is more like Nintendo goes to the company they want a character from and makes them an offer they can't refuse, godfather style.

Kirye

Smash Ace
I think that Nintendo should risk a lawsuit and put Geno in the game without SquareEnix's permission. They won't care.......I hope. Besides, Nintendo has money to burn. It's a stupid & risky business decision, but it'll make me happy if they do this......steathfully.
Sakurai would literally get shot for that. And if not that, he'd get fired for the lawsuit brought on to Nintendo.

@Oyster: I do see your points, but didn't Ninty ask Sega about Sonic? If that's the case, what'd stop them from asking Squenix for Geno, a non-profit character in their possesion? Also.. there was a third party character that was in some Brawlish news, that the creator said "Well, I haven't been asked yet.", it might've been Cloud.. I can't recall at the moment, but it shows that they have to go to the companies for the characters, something that seems has already happened with Sonic. (If it's true.) If Geno is that popular, would Nintendo pass up the opportunity now, that they see Geno is still wanted, that a sequel to Mario RPG is still wanted after all these years? It's an iffy, sure, but you gotta admit the chances aren't slim. =/

Can u tell me WHERE u saw this info? cause I doubt its correct
I remember reading something like that sometime ago, i'll try to look for it.

Kirye

Smash Ace
Actually, it's an odd turn of coincidences, but here it is.

In August 2006, Sakurai and Miyamoto stated that Sega's Sonic the Hedgehog was the most requested third-party character to be included.[25] Around the same period of time, Tips & Tricks reported that Miyamoto has stated Nintendo has actually contacted Sega regarding this, and that they're awaiting a final decision.[26] Then, in the October 2006 issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly, he mentioned that "Sega's hedgehog would be the perfect addition to Brawl's cast." An article in the first issue of a Swedish Nintendo Magazine named "+N" makes a report that the known confirmed characters will be in Brawl, along with Sonic the Hedgehog as a playable character,[27] though the magazine's credibility is questioned. Yojiro Ogawa, the director and producer of Sonic and the Secret Rings was asked by the UK's Official Nintendo Magazine about to see Sonic appear in Nintendo's upcoming Super Smash Bros. Brawl and he said: "In my personal opinion, it would be great to have Sonic in it. But that would really involve Sonic and Nintendo's management, it's nothing to do with me!"[28] Yuji Naka, former head of Sonic Team and the chief of PROPE has said that he wants to see Sonic in the next game. At this point, it is unknown who can give the rights of Sonic.
Taken from Wikipedia.

Kirye

Smash Ace
I suppose, but what information at all from Brawl is credible? XD We're here second guessing who's gonna be in Brawl through rumors and stuff. x.x

But eh. One way or another, Nintendo has to contact Squenix, that much is certain.

Sonics347

Smash Rookie
i think they should make a SNORLAXITIVE character! he could like **** on everyone! and to power up he takes in more snorlaxitives and his special consists of a snorgasim of five or shix snorlaxitives

Stryks

Smash Hero
^^^
Ok welcome ******** n00b

Yeah I already stated why nintendo has to contact squeix for geno, since hes a unique 3rd party character...

Kirye

Smash Ace
i think they should make a SNORLAXITIVE character! he could like **** on everyone! and to power up he takes in more snorlaxitives and his special consists of a snorgasim of five or shix snorlaxitives
Wow, that was clever. You would be loved in Gamefaqs.

Anyway. Yeah I know Stryks, I just like to pointlessly reiterate things cause i'm awesome like that.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I leave for a few hours and look what happens... amazing.

Well, I checked the links that that wikipedia article sited, and I coundn't find any statement that Nintendo had contacted Sega. It's kinda ridiculous, but even the sources say "it looks like" or "it seems". No statements without qualifiers at all, it's really frustrating. Anyway, I'm not sleuth enough to do any better, so lets just say that doubt has been cast on my argument.
I did find one article that claimed one of the developers was hoping that Snake in Brawl would attract other companies to try and get there characters in, which is a point for the "want to join?" argument. But then other articles claimed that Nintendo had gone into talks with whomever, which scores a point for the "please please join" argument...

Well, who knows? Maybe nintendo is doing a bit of both.
Either way, this improves Genos chances in my mind, although I still can't bring myself to declare him 100%. Id say that Geno is on shakey ground, but that didn't stop lesser characters, so he may just pull through yet.

Well, here's hoping he gets in.

0rion

Smash Journeyman

I did find one article that claimed one of the developers was hoping that Snake in Brawl would attract other companies to try and get there characters in, which is a point for the "want to join?" argument. But then other articles claimed that Nintendo had gone into talks with whomever, which scores a point for the "please please join" argument...

Oh yeah, I heard about the same thing on wikipedia son. I still don't like the fact that Nintendo is keeping us in the dark about almost everything. I just would like to know what company is associating with Nintendo as a hint of what third party characters we're gonna get. The only thing that put is in stone is that the dude from Final Fantasy is making the music for SSBB classical and symphony like. Big whoop! I want to know more dam**it!:mad: :mad:

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, and that last trailer just raised more questions. Crouchwalking, fantastic. So how does it fit into the game? I can't talk about crouchwalking for months, why make me wait for the next bit of news with only that?
And don't get me started on them revealing Fox. Oh, really? Fox is in the game? Didn't see that coming. Jerks....

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Right, I was hoping that I would see someone actually worthwhile like Ganon, Sonic, or Geno, not that fleabag mutt. Don't get me wrong, I want Fox to be on the game, but I wanted to see a character that would litterally "revolutionize" Brawl.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Yeah, and that last trailer just raised more questions. Crouchwalking, fantastic. So how does it fit into the game? I can't talk about crouchwalking for months, why make me wait for the next bit of news with only that?
And don't get me started on them revealing Fox. Oh, really? Fox is in the game? Didn't see that coming. Jerks....
I believe "crawling" is the accepted term now... Whoever coined the term "crotchwalk" obviously had his (her?) mind somewhere downstairs... And yeah - the whole "Oldcomer: Fox" was a pretty mean/lazy maneuver on their part. They could have at least shown us a few more of the returning characters...

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528

Oh my god, my sentiments EXACTLY.

I remember someone IMing me the link saying "New character for smash revealed!" and then I spit out my water I was drinking, only to find it being Fox.

The only cool things revealed in that trailer is how Wario moves (bizarrely) and that rad pantheon of the godsesque stage (I could be wrong, but basically the one that looks subterranean with an "Atlas" guy lifting a platform)

As far as Geno goes, that would be totally rad, because it gives the Mario RPG stuff representation, and personally, I want to shoot people with stars. That makes me happier than a junkie getting his fix without having to perform obtuse favors.

Pomfrod

Smash Apprentice
Those are amazing ytmnds.

And the power of subliminal persuasion is amazing--I could have sworn Steven Tyler was saying "Geno" instead of "Dream On" at first.

But would you really consider the Forest Maze Geno's theme? I prefer the little bit where he's being incarnated, and his theme at the end. OCRemix has an amazing orchestral version of it here.

I still think he's possible, and ignoring the sheer awesomeness of his inclusion is unthinkable folly. He's more than just a doll...

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Those are amazing ytmnds.

And the power of subliminal persuasion is amazing--I could have sworn Steven Tyler was saying "Geno" instead of "Dream On" at first.

But would you really consider the Forest Maze Geno's theme? I prefer the little bit where he's being incarnated, and his theme at the end. OCRemix has an amazing orchestral version of it here.

I still think he's possible, and ignoring the sheer awesomeness of his inclusion is unthinkable folly. He's more than just a doll...
I like hearing the Forest Maze as Geno's theme. It seems to fit with him, you know what I mean?

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
^^Looks like this guy has good tastes in game themes. Holla!
that song is pretty cool, but arent we discussing what songs would be good for fighting? maybe they could use that as his 'credits' music or something...although the forest song doesnt exactly fit the battle theme music either, i think its closer...

EDIT: genotime is amazing. where can i get that music track???????? that would be perfect for brawl music.

Pomfrod

Smash Apprentice
Thanks, 0rion.

A theme doesn't have to be upbeat or dark to serve as stage BGM. One of the most lyrical and melodic themes in Melee was the Home, Sweet Home theme from Earthbound; it was used as the alternate song for the Onett stage. I thought it worked quite well.

As long as they thicken the orchestration (possibly go heavy with brass), and perhaps up the tempo just a bit, I think Geno's end theme could go from endearing to epic rather easily. But whatever. They could use the Kero Sewers theme for all I care. I just want them to include Geno. I think we can all agree on that. He is the epitome of a well-designed character.

Random Side Note: If they bring back intro character animations, Geno should be a lifeless doll as a ray of starry light shines on him and brings him to life.

Kirye

Smash Ace
that song is pretty cool, but arent we discussing what songs would be good for fighting? maybe they could use that as his 'credits' music or something...although the forest song doesnt exactly fit the battle theme music either, i think its closer...

EDIT: genotime is amazing. where can i get that music track???????? that would be perfect for brawl music.
Well considering the soundtracks for Brawl will be orchestrated, that song would fit in quite nicely.

Also, if you wanna download the song, check the source on the ytmnd page, CTRL + F and search "mp3", and then that link is the song. Just download afterwards.

Genesis Zero

Smash Rookie
Geno owns Mallow at least. I never liked Mallow 2 much. Im not even sure if Im spelling his name right. Geno would have amazing projectiles and would b an awesome/unexpected addition!

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Thanks, 0rion.

A theme doesn't have to be upbeat or dark to serve as stage BGM. One of the most lyrical and melodic themes in Melee was the Home, Sweet Home theme from Earthbound; it was used as the alternate song for the Onett stage. I thought it worked quite well.

As long as they thicken the orchestration (possibly go heavy with brass), and perhaps up the tempo just a bit, I think Geno's end theme could go from endearing to epic rather easily. But whatever. They could use the Kero Sewers theme for all I care. I just want them to include Geno. I think we can all agree on that. He is the epitome of a well-designed character.

Random Side Note: If they bring back intro character animations, Geno should be a lifeless doll as a ray of starry light shines on him and brings him to life.
I agree about the character intro, that makes sense.

Home, Sweet Home. I hear the version with lyrics; I really like it!

But seriously, I really like Forest Maze is a good fit for someone like Geno.

GreenMarth

Smash Apprentice
i wouldnt get ur hopes up for geno hes too obscure to be in the game and not too many know of him and mario rpg wasnt too popular *although it would be cool if he was in the game ya know :)*

Stryks

Smash Hero
Mario rpg is known to be one of the greastest game ever made, and geno is incredibly popular, being requested in the top 5 (top 5 rite?) in sakurais poll, get ur facts straight...

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
Mario rpg is known to be one of the greastest game ever made, and geno is incredibly popular, being requested in the top 5 (top 5 rite?) in sakurais poll, get ur facts straight...
Actually, I'm almost postive Geno was the number 1 requested character on the Toukoken.

Kirye

Smash Ace
geno deserves to get in about as much as game and watch should return.

in other words, not at all.
yeah it isnt a logical argument but i needa research him more before i get one.
Maybe you should look back at the arguments set into this thread before that everyone here took on so we don't have to repeat ourselves. XD

Top Bottom