• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Gindor

Smash Ace
Not talking much now, just PM if anything importan
See multiqoute? Click on all the ones you want to quote and click Add reply.
Thanks man (man I sound like a stoner...)

The dude thought he was a frog for crying out loud!
Actually, he probably has more potential than you think, Not as mush as geno in my opinion, but remember he actually holds weapons at some point in the game. They aren't kick but ones like geno's arm cannon and such, but he has them. He could be like a short mario with lightning and other elemental abilities. His final smash could be star rain.

falcofan123

Smash Rookie
let me just say that geno in brawl is an AWESOME idea. he was definetley a crowd favorite in one of the best mario games ever(smrpg). Why wouldnt they put this amazing character in this game.
ps. nice move set. suits him perfectly.

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
Because he is from a game that came out like 8 years ago or so and because the rights are owned by Square. Not that I don't agree, it would be great if he was in and don't be surprised if he ends up getting in. But these, to me, are the 2 biggest drawbacks.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
In the newest Nintendo Power, they profiled Super Mario RPG. There was a sidebar with characters from the game. Mallow was there, but Geno wasn't! Seriously, how could you even mention Mallow without discussing how Geno is better than him to the nth degree?!?!

Gindor

Smash Ace
In the newest Nintendo Power, they profiled Super Mario RPG. There was a sidebar with characters from the game. Mallow was there, but Geno wasn't! Seriously, how could you even mention Mallow without discussing how Geno is better than him to the nth degree?!?!
wtf, thats just wrong, I do think mallow has potential, but not enough for ssbb, mallow could kick but in certain situations, but not in brawl in my opinion.

EDIT: I am angry that mario got his picture on there, intead of geno, I mean, Everyone knows about mario! I know mario led the whole crusade, but geno was new, different from most of the other mario characters, and pointed the gang in the right direction.
On second thought, maybe nintendo isn't showing him there, so that he's more of a surprise when they do reveal that he is in brawl.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
lol, how crappy would that be if mallow got in brawl and geno didnt. sakurai just put geno on the poll to see interest in SMRPG, not the character itself. since it did well, he decides to put in...mallow!!! haha i would cry. and then join the ridley supporters in bombing nintendo HQ (because if they pulled a stunt like that you know they wouldnt be smart enought to include ridley either...).

Gindor

Smash Ace
It seems that Geno doesn't appear in Mario in Itadaki Street DS :/
Is that the basketball game, I would understand that, a gun isn't very fair in the game of basket ball. I don't think mallow was in it either, only the classic characters and some final fantasy characters.
Since Geno and mallow are both square (another word for final fantasy, I believe)and mario characters, then they should've been in there, right?

Copperpot

Smash Ace
He was really only important at the beginning, but he has the best potential (and easilly reached) for nuking, but otherwise, he's beaten at healing by peach, beaten everyone at attacking, but he does have the interesting ability to find out how much hp a foe has.
I used him throughout most of the game. One thing that most people overlook is that he has a higher defense stat than anyone but Bowser, and Bowser can't heal. I'll take a durable healer over one that you have to actually keep an eye on anyday. Plus, I focus more on damage than defense if anything, and Mallow does more damage than Peach.

All of this doesn't matter, because this is a Geno support thread! Let's all talk about why we had Geno in our parties!

1) He's awesome.
2) He has some of the highest damage potential in the game (highest with Whirl).
3) Geno Boost.

Gindor

Smash Ace
I used him throughout most of the game. One thing that most people overlook is that he has a higher defense stat than anyone but Bowser, and Bowser can't heal. I'll take a durable healer over one that you have to actually keep an eye on anyday. Plus, I focus more on damage than defense if anything, and Mallow does more damage than Peach.

All of this doesn't matter, because this is a Geno support thread! Let's all talk about why we had Geno in our parties!

1) He's awesome.
2) He has some of the highest damage potential in the game (highest with Whirl).
3) Geno Boost.
Wow, I didn't know he had that good a defense, I presumed he had the stats of a marshmallow (that being nothing), but with high nuking stats. Maybe if my both of my super nintendos didn't die, I would try a party with him in it to the end of the game.

I could never get whirl to work, I know it requires timing. Geno stayed in party ever since I got him for those other reasons alone. that left peach and bowser fighting over the last spot until the end of the game, then peach won.

Geno ftw, R.I.P. snes's

Copperpot

Smash Ace
The funny thing about Super Mario RPG is that you could get through the VAST majority of the game content on just healing items alone. I remember playing through almost the entire game with Geno and Bowser in my party, and I think the only bumps I came across were Culex, Jynx, and Smithy. Other than that, most of the other bosses were pushovers (maybe with exception to the Axem Rangers).

NukeA6

Smash Master
The funny thing about Super Mario RPG is that you could get through the VAST majority of the game content on just healing items alone. I remember playing through almost the entire game with Geno and Bowser in my party, and I think the only bumps I came across were Culex, Jynx, and Smithy. Other than that, most of the other bosses were pushovers (maybe with exception to the Axem Rangers).
True, though I have beaten that game multiple times using Pick Me Ups 99% of the time. The only time I did use Mushrooms was during the beginning. You don't even have to use magic for most of the game.

TDub301

Smash Journeyman
Peach was a better healer. Make it easy and give her the koopa shell, or whatever it's called. She will only take 1 point of damage regardless of what happens and will be there to heal and revive throughout any battle.

edit: if I remember correctly, it's been a long time...

Gindor

Smash Ace
Peach was a better healer. Make it easy and give her the koopa shell, or whatever it's called. She will only take 1 point of damage regardless of what happens and will be there to heal and revive throughout any battle.

edit: if I remember correctly, it's been a long time...
I just thought of something, it would be a slow battle, but peach with the shell and her fan, could beat smithy herself! I would love to see that on youtube, but sped up.

King Axel

Smash Apprentice
I'm scared that Geno might end up as an assist trophy. That would be nice, but I would much, much rather have him as a character. :[

PrinnyFlute

Smash Journeyman
I'm scared that Geno might end up as an assist trophy. That would be nice, but I would much, much rather have him as a character. :[
It definitely seems like it could end up that way... It seemed his chances were greater when he would've been a playable character or (next to) nothing. Now that we've got this new way of representing the less-than-likely characters, things are a little more dubious.

(Though it seems like his chances of being in at all are quadrupled now. He placed high on Sakurai's poll, and frankly, Square Enix shouldn't give two stones about letting them pop him in the game as an assist trophy, at the very least.)

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
I think this is going to make a lot of people frightened that their supports will get in the game, but be "out of reach" Especially the Ridley and Dark Samus Supporters. [I happen to be one of both.] But my sheer hope refuses to let me even consider that Geno would only be an assist trophy. I refuse to believe that possibility. D:

Fawriel

Smash Master
I doubt they went to take all the necessary actions to include Geno if his appearance is just one possibility as a "Pokemon" so-to-speak.

PrinnyFlute

Smash Journeyman
I doubt they went to take all the necessary actions to include Geno if his appearance is just one possibility as a "Pokemon" so-to-speak.
Well, depends on how much work it'd take. And honestly, I think it'd just be a matter of Sakurai calling up a Square rep, saying, "Hey, can we borrow this character you don't stand to make any money off of...ever, for like, five minutes?" They'd be like... "WTF do I care." Sakurai gives the lawyer for the project a shove, who then looks over some papers for fifteen minutes at SquareEnix, they sign, it's done.

They did put Geno in Mario Superstar Saga with permission from Square. He only showed up as the tutorial puppet for a really unimportant mini-game for about a minute. He had like two or three frames of animation. (Said so in the credits that he was used with permission from SquareEnix.) If a smaller studio licensed by Nintendo can get him for one mini-game (and I don't think they'd have spend any real amount of time doing so, given the scope of the game,) it doesn't seem absurd to think that a man with connections like Sakurai's would only need to place a call or two and have brunch with a lawyer somewhere down the line.

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
^^^
agreed i dont think it would be that much work to acquire permission to use Geno as an AT. It would probably be a lot more effort to get him as a playable character which sadly may take an effect into him being playable or an AT.

Gindor

Smash Ace
Why did they put in the pokeball and the AT?! Iwpuld be happy with either! They basically are the same thing,but with different characters!

I have an idea for what his AT might be. He guns at random foes, and then uses one of his spells as a finale and leaves (maybe by flying off). Maybe a "winning the lottery" type chance, he might finale with geno whirl, that would be awesome. I think that if he becomes an AT, it might suit him better than as a playable character. Having very short range guns isn't really showing a good representation of his kick but guns.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Some of the people who worked on Mario & Luigi Super Star Saga were former Square employees that worked on Super Mario RPG. So it'd be a bit easier for them to use personal connections to procure a Geno cameo for M&L:SSS than Sakurai doing so for Brawl. Although Sakurai getting Geno for an assist cameo should be pretty easy, anyways.

....not sure if Geno being an assist would be much consolation to Geno fans compared to him being playable, though.

Copperpot

Smash Ace
^^^
agreed i dont think it would be that much work to acquire permission to use Geno as an AT. It would probably be a lot more effort to get him as a playable character which sadly may take an effect into him being playable or an AT.
Acquiring the right to use him in the game takes the same amount of effort, regardless of how you plan to use said character.

Now, what Nintendo decides to do with him after they get that far is up to them. Making him a trophy is no different than making any Nintendo-owned character a trophy, and no more difficult than creating any other playable character.

The hardest part is getting the rights to include him, by any means.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
i don't see him as an AT. he's third party, and my feeling for third party is they're either playable or not in the game at all. if Geno got in, i see Mallow maybe as an AT, or other Mario RPG characters. but with Geno's popularity, it's either playable or not

tirkaro

Smash Champion
i don't see him as an AT. he's third party, and my feeling for third party is they're either playable or not in the game at all. if Geno got in, i see Mallow maybe as an AT, or other Mario RPG characters. but with Geno's popularity, it's either playable or not
or, perhaps they could.....I dont know.....incorperate an ACTUAL squeenix character in the game, and make geno an assist. ever think of that?

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
Acquiring the right to use him in the game takes the same amount of effort, regardless of how you plan to use said character.

Now, what Nintendo decides to do with him after they get that far is up to them. Making him a trophy is no different than making any Nintendo-owned character a trophy, and no more difficult than creating any other playable character.

The hardest part is getting the rights to include him, by any means.
not true. acquiring him to appear and just do one attack would be a lot easier than him as a playable character. this is because if he is an actual character than square would have to approve of his representation, moveset, etc. In other words they would have to insure that their character doesn't suck. even though they would have to sign off on his appearance they would also have to sign off at the end when he was finished too. No one is just gonna sign over the rights to their character and then not have any say if he has an entire moveset. this would be different if he just appeared and did one move.

i agree that 3rd parties will either be in or not playable, but even though he is technically 3rd party he is still apart of the mario franchise so it would make sense if he was an AT and no other square character appeared in the game. Most likely another square character would appear and Geno will be an assist imo

Top Bottom