• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Jeez so much posts... Ok.. I don't know who Geno is.. and why people want him in so bad.. could you guide me somewhere to why hes so awesome, and what he does?... Or maybe a quick trip to Wikipedia will tell me..

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Well, he was a doll from Super Mario RPG that was (if I'm not mistaken) a guardian of the Star Road. It was broken by Smithy's (The main boss) soldiers (especially that big sword... forgot it's name. lol.). Although technically Geno's just the name of the doll, a guardian from the Star Rod with an unpronounceable name just inhabits the doll and takes up its name instead.

He had great magic skills... especially his one hallmark move Geno Whirl, which, when timed right, can give you a 9999 attack... which, of course, doesn't work on bosses. (Believe me, I tried. lol.) But I just liked his character... kinda like the wise one, yet trying to figure out his comrades.

BTW... the giant sword's name... was it Exor?

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
So hes like... um.. I can't think of a good wise person from a game.. Just a cool character I guess. Alright, hes not very eye pleasing to me though.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Hehe. Voice is an interesting subject here. On the one hand, he's a star or the soul of a star or something like that... on the other hand, a wooden puppet...

He does have that unpronounceable name, doesn't he? That means he speaks a different language natively...
If he doesn't bother to speak English, which would make sense to me since it would be less work and the FE guys spoke Japanese everywhere...

Why not have him speak like Midna in a deeper tone? :p

JesterBox

Smash Ace
So hes like... um.. I can't think of a good wise person from a game.. Just a cool character I guess. Alright, hes not very eye pleasing to me though.
Try to find a Rom and play the game. (or a pawn shop) I highly recommend it if you like RPGs especially ones like Mario and Luigi. It's one of those old legendary games.

He is the most liked character from the game and the most important to the story of the protagonist. Its like he is the "cool guy" from the game like Falco.

Gindor

Smash Ace
Not talking much now, just PM if anything importan
Hehe. Voice is an interesting subject here. On the one hand, he's a star or the soul of a star or something like that... on the other hand, a wooden puppet...

He does have that unpronounceable name, doesn't he? That means he speaks a different language natively...
If he doesn't bother to speak English, which would make sense to me since it would be less work and the FE guys spoke Japanese everywhere...

Why not have him speak like Midna in a deeper tone? :p
Thats a very good idea. He could grunt when he attacks and say lines in his other language when he uses his spells, his taunt, or wins a match.

L_Cancel

Smash Champion
Too be honest, I have never played Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. At first I thought Geno would be a stupid and pointless side-character to add to Brawl. After reading through this thread it inspired me to do further research on Geno. I have come to the conclusion that Geno would be an incredibly original, and awesome character to play in Brawl! GENO FOR BRAWL!!!!

Gindor

Smash Ace
Too be honest, I have never played Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. At first I thought Geno would be a stupid and pointless side-character to add to Brawl. After reading through this thread it inspired me to do further research on Geno. I have come to the conclusion that Geno would be an incredibly original, and awesome character to play in Brawl! GENO FOR BRAWL!!!!
welcome to the fanbase!
Geno FTW

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Geno for Brawl.. As well as Ridley, Sonic, Krystal, Falco, Sheik... The more characters to better imo. I just don't like characters that don't make sense to put in..

Blackadder

Smash Master
Okay, I really am behind on all this..
Who the hell is Geno!? XD
It's been like, a month of "Geno FTW: and I still don't know who he is.
He looks like a weird doll thing.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Wikipedia mentions him being a square Enx character.
So are you guys hopeing he'll be a 3rd party character for Brawl?

Gindor

Smash Ace
Okay, I really am behind on all this..
Who the hell is Geno!? XD
It's been like, a month of "Geno FTW: and I still don't know who he is.
He looks like a weird doll thing.
If I could, I would lend you my cartrigde (spelling please) of smrpg, the best way to know him is to play as him, you could probably use an emulator though.

EDIT-about being 3rd party or not, I don't care as long as he's in.

I Like Smash...

Smash Apprentice
Wikipedia mentions him being a square Enx character.
So are you guys hopeing he'll be a 3rd party character for Brawl?
i was actually wondering if he would be considered a true 3rd party character...
im not saying that he isnt 3rd party...
but it isnt like he has made an appearance on a non-Nintendo console...
which Snake, Sonic, and a plethora of other 3rd party suggestions have...
when i read 2 or 3 more 3rd party characters...
i took it to mean ones that have appeared on a Sega, Sony, or Microsoft console as well as Nintendo...
i could be wrong though...
but if im not...
then its not like Geno has the whole 3rd party thing working against him...

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
...Like Jigglypuff. Just saying. lol.
Actually Jiggs was suppose to be the original starter in the 1st gen Pokemon games, but other than that it was random. But good random (hate Jiggs, but it's awsome in Smash!).

As for the whole Geno is a third party character deal, he could sneak in as a 4th (preferably behind Sonic and Megaman). He could be a Mario and 3rd party character=awsome! I'm sure Geno could have some pretty intresting techniques, preferably most of the ones he uses in Super Mario RPG. IMO Solid Snake, Sonic, Megaman, and Geno is basically the perfect 3rd party character, and it is very likely all of them will make it (with the exception of Snake, who's confirmed).

O and Geno for Brawl, and ftw! :)

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Surprisingly, I never thought of Megaman. I just thought it way too unreal... then I thought about who they have in the game... Solid-freaking-Snake! lol.

I was gonna go with either Bomberman or Geno Third-Party... And Lolo Second Party... and Diddy First Party. Actually... forget Diddy... Nastasia FTW!

Also... Square-Enix has teamed up with Nintendo lately (don't forget that basketball game), so I'm sure they still have each other's phone numbers. lol.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Jesterbox, I did see your moveset. I'm still pretty convinced that the Geno Flash needs to be the Final Smash. Turning into a giant cannon and blasting an exploding sun onto the stage would fit so perfectly.

JesterBox

Smash Ace
I dont think he'd "count" as Third party. they say 2-3 more so, even if he does
(Megaman + Sonic + Geno) Hmmmm.... never thought about how they are all mostly blue.

Gindor

Smash Ace
If geno is 3rd party or not seems like flipping a coin. He is because he is square's intelectual property, but square and nintendo probably won't care.
I hope they get back together and make more godly (in awesomeness) games and characters. I kinda deam about that kinda thing happening.
Geno FB (for brawl) and FTW

Gindor

Smash Ace
Judgement day nears for all wanted newcomers, some dynamic, some cuteness (completely useless). All we can do is pray to the god of smash (sakurai, or your own if you wish), or give ideas for the Assist trophy and hopefully be heard. But remember, if an AT, the character is lost (for now), but not forgotten.
With the loss of the potentially playable popular character, deoxys, I alert that a lot of wanted characters will probably be turned into AT's (or pokeballs).

Sorry for double posting.

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
I'm sorry,but if Samurai Goroh and Deoxys are making it,I don't think Geno has a snowball's chance in hell of making it*Prepares for flaming*

Gindor

Smash Ace
I still see Geno's AT (hopefully not, but if it happens)as him appearing in a puff of smoke (or however the AT people appear), geno guns your foes from his spot he appeared twice (two types of gun weapons, maybe two of the same type), then geno uses one of his spells to pwn one or more characters. He then nods and flies off. He counter attacks foes that melee him for high damage and knockback, guns the closest foe to him to protect him from melees and reflects projectiles with his cape. If he is killed, the star spirit leaves the doll flying away swiftly, and the doll shrinks to it's origional size and dissapears with a poof of smoke.

gun weapons-pellet gun-fires a stream of pellets, most common
arm cannon-fires three cannon balls that travel in an arc, going through all stage (but without breaking it if it isn't breakable)
finger shot-fires of all five fingers of one hand, each finger swiftly homes in on foes
star gun-the rarest and most desireable as it deals high damage as it fires a wide spray of stars
fist rockets-launches both fists at foes dealling decent damage, the fists come back to geno while still being able to hurt the foe

spells-geno beam-fires a wide beam across th screen in the direction of the most grouped together foes, most common
geno whirl-the rarest and potentially strongest spell. geno throws a celectial ring (or whatever it is) that acts like one of his finger shots and has a low chance of instantly KO the hit foe
geno blast-geno calls down from the sky divine energy to smite foes that come near him, mor rapid than power, but just give up your current life if your caught in it
geno flash-geno turns into a cannon and creates a huge blast of light that acts like being hit by a fan, low damage, a powerful vertical launch
(note geno cannot be stunned while in the spell stage)
uniqueness probably will be his downfall as he would have a bit of an odd moveset to be in brawl.

EDIT-to chibirobo-I agree with that, saddly I do

JesterBox

Smash Ace
I'm sorry,but if Samurai Goroh and Deoxys are making it,I don't think Geno has a snowball's chance in hell of making it*Prepares for flaming*
Samurai Goroh didn't rank high on the poll, Geno did. Sorry no flames for you.

Side-note: Goroh Deoxys and Hammer Bros, suck for character ideas.

Gindor

Smash Ace
Samurai Goroh didn't rank high on the poll, Geno did. Sorry no flames for you.

Side-note: Goroh Deoxys and Hammer Bros, suck for character ideas.
Goroh was made to be a ruthless outlaw/racer as far as I know, C.F. was lucky and the lead protaganist. He was just suposed to match a spot in a story.
hammer bros was never ment to be a character, and was made as a platforming game obstacle.
Deoxys might not have been the best idea for a fighting game as it came from a turnbased game, but deoxys has been a hellova lot better character idea for brawl than most. It's a kick a** versatile pokemon god.
I do hope you're right about geno though.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
IMHO, Goroh's chance was based primarily on the fact that there weren't many other F-Zero racers to choose from. This, of course, is quite unrelated to Geno, who isn't related to F-Zero in anyway. The same could be said for Deoxys, really (because when you really boil things down, there aren't THAT many pokemon with a decent chance of being playable out there). Needless to say, Geno's situation is a different thing from those two altogether and his chances generally shouldn't be gauged based on those two not getting in.

Of course, even Sakurai starts off the Deoxys post with "This one is popular!"

A lot of Geno's 'chances' are all based on wild cards. How much of a third party character does he count as? Does he count as a Mario character or not? Does Sakurai even care or mind if Mario gets 'overrepped'? How much does popularity count for (because even Sakurai states in the latest post that Deoxys is popular and yet Deoxys is not playable)? How much does Square or Nintendo even actually remember him? Just how does Sakurai or maybe Miyamoto feel themselves about these things? Do they even CARE? Yadayadayada. Most of these are all speculations of which there's no way to know the answers to the questions. There aren't any precedents for those criteria in any past Smash game (except maybe popularity, but even that isn't certain).

All you can do is look at the criteria that you think Geno fits and hope or pray that's enough to get him in (...or out, in some peoples' cases, like mine! :p)

Assist Trophies are another beast altogether.

Gindor

Smash Ace
IMHO, Goroh's chance was based primarily on the fact that there weren't many other F-Zero racers to choose from. This, of course, is quite unrelated to Geno, who isn't related to F-Zero in anyway. The same could be said for Deoxys, really (because when you really boil things down, there aren't THAT many pokemon with a decent chance of being playable out there). Needless to say, Geno's situation is a different thing from those two altogether and his chances generally shouldn't be gauged based on those two not getting in.

Of course, even Sakurai starts off the Deoxys post with "This one is popular!"

A lot of Geno's 'chances' are all based on wild cards. How much of a third party character does he count as? Does he count as a Mario character or not? Does Sakurai even care or mind if Mario gets 'overrepped'? How much does popularity count for (because even Sakurai states in the latest post that Deoxys is popular and yet Deoxys is not playable)? How much does Square or Nintendo even actually remember him? Just how does Sakurai or maybe Miyamoto feel themselves about these things? Do they even CARE? Yadayadayada. Most of these are all speculations of which there's no way to know the answers to the questions. There aren't any precedents for those criteria in any past Smash game (except maybe popularity, but even that isn't certain).

All you can do is look at the criteria that you think Geno fits and hope or pray that's enough to get him in (...or out, in some peoples' cases, like mine! :p)

Assist Trophies are another beast altogether.
A lot of good points and one that I firmly believe, You can only tell if a character is in or out by waiting.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Geno has a good chance at AT, but not so much PC..

I think since (I've heard) this will be the last SSB.. They want to get in all the classic characters we can remember and are easily obtained within the company... Maybe not known by name but recognized.

(Omg that hammer throwing thing!)
Or for our case (Omg that doll from that Mario game!)

telliseed

Smash Rookie
The chance of Geno being a PC is better than his chance at being an AT.

It would be difficult for Nintendo to actually convince Square to let them use Geno in the first place. If they do, why would they go to all that trouble just to make him an AT?

I say he will either not be in the game at all, or he will be a player character.

Top Bottom