• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Snakz

Smash Ace
Yea, i think Incarnate is right, it even comes on the pedestal, plus i cant seem to find any picture or any evidence of a golden hammer in Superstar saga

Copperpot

Smash Ace
Why is Mallow better than Bowser for random encounters?
Because Mallow actually had some damage output. By the end of the game, Thunderbolt alone could wipe out most of the larger groups, with exception to the fat paratroopas.

Peach was only needed for boss fights, because they were the only semi-healing-intensive parts of the game. That and she made your group practically invincible with the Lazy Shell armor equipped.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Yea, i think Incarnate is right, it even comes on the pedestal, plus i cant seem to find any picture or any evidence of a golden hammer in Superstar saga
Beaten the game, there is no golden hammer, just mallets...

Sinn

Smash Lord
Because Mallow actually had some damage output. By the end of the game, Thunderbolt alone could wipe out most of the larger groups, with exception to the fat paratroopas.

Peach was only needed for boss fights, because they were the only semi-healing-intensive parts of the game. That and she made your group practically invincible with the Lazy Shell armor equipped.
I think it all depends on your playing style. Take myself, for instance. In the vast majority of RPGs, I figure that if I can't easily beat the enemies around me without using magic (with the exception of healing), then I must not be high enough level. Bosses are supposed to be strong, so I'll typically go all out on them with magic, but if I can't beat a boss without using items (which I just about never use in normal fights either), I feel I must be underleveled then too. Most of the time I simply stick to grinding away at enemies with normal attacks, which is why one of my favorite runs through the game is maxing out attack for everyone. Bowser and Mario tear through **** like wicked fast.

Copperpot

Smash Ace
Generally, I will bounce between attack power and HP bonuses, depending on which of the two offers a greater return. When using Mallow or Peach, I'll switch between magic and HP bonuses.

I usually like to refrain from using items at all, too. At the end game it doesn't really matter, since your characters will almost always reach max level (30) before fighting Smithy, unless you spend your time avoiding fights throughout the entirety of the game.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Heh, ACTUALLY...I remember the first time I ever beat the game, my characters couldn't have been any higher than like...23, tops. It might have been lower, but it was a long time ago and I can't remember. I DO recall the one play through where I made everyone level twice for each new area I visited...I got to level 30 before I left Bean Valley. I was a little crazy.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Generally, I will bounce between attack power and HP bonuses, depending on which of the two offers a greater return. When using Mallow or Peach, I'll switch between magic and HP bonuses.

I usually like to refrain from using items at all, too. At the end game it doesn't really matter, since your characters will almost always reach max level (30) before fighting Smithy, unless you spend your time avoiding fights throughout the entirety of the game.
The limit is 30? wow...

Zhilo

Smash Apprentice
I sticked with a mario, bowser and geno party. if i could, i would have kicked mario off the party in favor of peach, but ince i couldnt, then screw it. SMRPG was a game that was made far too easy by using peach, I only used her when i was underleveled for a boss or something.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Aaah, progress! Very good.

Hm, my general suggestion would be for you to make his body quite slender... I mean, not skinny, but not round. I like the way he looks in his front-view sprite: He has a big round head, then a body that is half as wide at the most with some thin arms, but big hands and feet. Of course, none of these features should be exaggerated... sorry, I would have drawn that sketch, but I was kinda busy producing a couple thousands of avatars before the deadline. o_o;;

So... in my opinion, his general shape should be a cone with a round sphere on top ( the head obviously ).
In addition to that, make all his clothes, including the hat, big. Thin, but long. It'll visually make up for what he lacks in body mass.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
crappiest? it sounds pretty cool

Mario destroying buildings.

However I have heard it was one of the hardest games to beat like Billy Biyou.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Just read the wifi thread...apprantly they all signed a petition and sent letters, similiar to what I tried to tdo For Geno's inclusion for Brawl.

Only I haven't started a petition yet.

Sinn

Smash Lord
The only difference is that back when Brawl was first announced, back before it was even called Brawl, before Sakurai was even the director, Nintendo claimed that it was going to feature online play. I imagine the only reason that they had a petition and sent letters was because Sakurai said there were a lot of obstacles to overcome to implement the online play mode...but it looks like they've accomplished it fantastically.

So for all we know, they would have gotten the Wi-Fi working even without the petition and letters. Geno isn't in the same boat.

Snakz

Smash Ace
Geno Model Update #3

And he said "Let their be arms!...and and the rest of his torso...". So yea, this is goin good so far

If anyone wants to give some advice, technical, artistic, any kind of critique go ahead, ill need it to make Geno look his best!

Sir Jigsbee

Smash Cadet
Snakz, that model must've taken you awhile! Well done. Though I have no idea why someone would dedicate so much time in a character that wasn't actually the star of the game that he's been in...

Yeah, I'm a Geno-hater (omg sue me!). I don't hate Geno-fans though. It's good to hope for an unlikely character who is beloved to you for whatever reason. (I'm a Toad fan!). But, since this is a debate thread. I have some counter-arguments.

Firstly....Geno was not the main role of the game that he starred in, Super Mario RPG. The only other characters in Brawl without a main role in their game are in very well-known, ongoing, famous series. And said characters are recurrant as well (ie they appear in most games of their series). For instance, Luigi, Diddy Kong, Peach, Bowser, Falco, etc. Super Mario RPG does not belong to the Mario series, or the Mario RPG series AS SUCH (Please don't critique me for this sentence - I know what I'm talking about. And even if it did count, Geno has only been in one game of the series, unless you count the pathetic cameo appearance). The reason is that this game was created by Square-Enix and NOT Nintendo; which leads me to my next point:

Secondly.... Geno is a 3rd Party character. In order to use it, Nintendo would have to request his usage and pay large amounts of money. Also, only VERY famous 3rd Party characters have any chance of getting into Brawl. For instance, Solid Snke is the protagonist of many games, dating from the NES to the PS3, and, thus far, he is the only 3rd Party character in Brawl.

Thirdly.... He does not have a sufficient movepool basis. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a non-playable character such as hisself has no moves to base movepools on him.

I don't wish to offend anyone, merely to point out some issues with the chances of his placement.

Let the flaming begin...

Snakz

Smash Ace
Snakz, that model must've taken you awhile! Well done. Though I have no idea why someone would dedicate so much time in a character that wasn't actually the star of the game that he's been in...

Yeah, I'm a Geno-hater (omg sue me!). I don't hate Geno-fans though. It's good to hope for an unlikely character who is beloved to you for whatever reason. (I'm a Toad fan!). But, since this is a debate thread. I have some counter-arguments.

Firstly....Geno was not the main role of the game that he starred in, Super Mario RPG. The only other characters in Brawl without a main role in their game are in very well-known, ongoing, famous series. And said characters are recurrant as well (ie they appear in most games of their series). For instance, Luigi, Diddy Kong, Peach, Bowser, Falco, etc. Super Mario RPG does not belong to the Mario series, or the Mario RPG series AS SUCH (Please don't critique me for this sentence - I know what I'm talking about. And even if it did count, Geno has only been in one game of the series, unless you count the pathetic cameo appearance). The reason is that this game was created by Square-Enix and NOT Nintendo; which leads me to my next point:

Secondly.... Geno is a 3rd Party character. In order to use it, Nintendo would have to request his usage and pay large amounts of money. Also, only VERY famous 3rd Party characters have any chance of getting into Brawl. For instance, Solid Snke is the protagonist of many games, dating from the NES to the PS3, and, thus far, he is the only 3rd Party character in Brawl.

Thirdly.... He does not have a sufficient movepool basis. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a non-playable character such as hisself has no moves to base movepools on him.

I don't wish to offend anyone, merely to point out some issues with the chances of his placement.

Let the flaming begin...
Thanks for the compliments on my model!

And let me be the first to say in response Geno IS a playable character in SMRPG and he already has the perfect moveset directly from SMRPG, as stated in this thread, and everywhere else 100 times over.

As far as the other stuff goes, your entitled to your opinion, and i dont really feel like getting into an argument about that now, so if someone else wants to pick up the argument, go ahead

Geno for Brawl!

P.S. i MIGHT post another model update tonight, unlikely though...

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Yeah, I'm a Geno-hater (omg sue me!). I don't Geno-fans though. It's good to hope for an unlikely character who is beloved to you for whatever reason. (I'm a Toad fan!). But, since this is a debate thread. I have some counter-arguments.
No prob. :) At least you're being civil about it.

A good point. While not the greatest example that I could give (I'm struggling for a comeback), look at Pichu and Jigglypuff. In the pokemon world, they're not very good (at all actually, even in the metagame). Though they were still characters representing their respective series, I'd like to point out that they were also chosen because they're very popular (mostly in Japan). Geno is a fan-favorite, and is widely popular amongst the Nintendo community. I may have missed your point, and I apologize. If I missed something, please help me clear up the confusion.

True. However, amongst the Nintendo community (a large portion of them anyway), Geno is quite famous. I'd also like to add, that he was on Sakurai's poll. I'd say given what we've seen from the polls Geno (and several other characters), have a very strong chance.

Let the flaming begin...
As it was already mentioned, he was a playable character in the game (Super Mario RPG). :) I don't know if you've ever played Super Mario RPG, but if you haven't (and like RPG's), I strongly recommend it.

No flaming from me. Just good ol' fashioned discussion. :)

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
Geno Model Update #3

And he said "Let their be arms!...and and the rest of his torso...". So yea, this is goin good so far

If anyone wants to give some advice, technical, artistic, any kind of critique go ahead, ill need it to make Geno look his best!
GReat work so far! Just don't forget the little collar string piece that connects the two side of his jacket. Small detail, put IMO, important. ^_^

Oshiro Akina

Smash Journeyman
Snakz, that is looking awesome! ^^ But yeah, like what Darkfur said, don't forget the little collar string thingie. Isn't that in the shape of a star, or have been staring at way too many Geno fanarts? xD

Geno for Brawl! ^^

Snakz

Smash Ace
Thanks for your input guys, dont worry, i havent forgotten about the collar clasp, thats gonna be one of the last things i do on the model before i start texturing, but ill get to it :)

Cronius

Smash Apprentice

Let the flaming begin...

We may have to get Lunadis back in this thread.

Gordie123

Smash Cadet
Geno was a playable character in Mario RPG...and was undoubtedly the most powerful in the game and the story pretty much revolved around him.....sorry, but if you did not even know that.... it shows you don't do any research and have 0 say in any argument

Top Bottom