• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Firstly, don't be a Nazi about speculation. People do it ALL THE TIME. It's usually the only way to keep people sane. If folks are going to talk about Geno as if he's in the game, LET THEM. They can get their hopes up and either be disappointed but grateful they discussed it or have their hopes founded and compare notes. There's no harm done, so stop griping at people who speculate. YEESH! :embarrass

Next: where is this comment that Sakurai made about Geno being first party? I'd like to see it.

And here's the facts, because some people seem to be ignoring them A LOT:

• Geno is on the Toukoken (Sakurai's Poll) tied with Dedede for the most comments. The Toukoken is NOT a poll but rather the first 290 suggestions and comments sent to Sakurai which, we assume, he found worthy of sharing. In other words, five "votes" does not mean "5 total people voted for this character" but it means Sakurai found five comments/suggestions/etc. that he liked well enough to post on his website that happened to mention the character. I've reviewed the Geno ones myself, and they all mention Geno amongst other characters or in a large discussion of why Mario RPG stuff should be in Smash. END OF DEBATE.
  • Any forum, be it English or Japanese, has a steady and large Geno fanbase. FACT.
  • Geno is a property of Square-Enix but is part of the Mario franchise. When he appears in Mario titles post-Mario RPG he is credited as a property of Square-Enix. Square-Enix has not, to this date, used Geno in any of their own games but has used Mario RPG music in one Square-Enix/Nintendo crossover game (Itadaki Street DS).
  • Square-Enix developed Mario Hoops 3-on-3 for the DS. Nothing from Mario RPG was present in the game, however they were still familiar with the Mario license.
  • The composer for Super Mario RPG is listed under the musicians' credits on the DOJO!!, but under her second franchise she has done music for: Kingdom Hearts.

And here is what have for speculation:
  • We know Sakurai is adding new musicians and credits to the list on the DOJO!! all the time, so adding Mario RPG/Mario & Luigi to Shimomura's credits is not farfetched.
  • SuperMallow of website Super Mario RPG Legacy has stated that he is contact with Nintendo and Square-Enix about Geno and Mario RPG, but will not comment on what he knows. The only hints he has given are that we shouldn't despair and we may end up very happy.
  • Rumors speculate there are TWO more third-party characters.
  • Some of these rumors claim one of these characters is from Square-Enix.
  • Another rumor cites Sakurai as calling Geno "first-party."
  • Geno's name was cried out at E306 when Smash Bros. Brawl was first unveiled and Sakurai asked for character suggestions from the press.
  • Super Mario RPG 2 for the DS is rumored to be announced very soon by Square-Enix. It will star more Final Fantasy characters. Super Mallow of SMRPG Legacy is on the hunt for information.

Thank you very much for bothering to read this.

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
Firstly, don't be a Nazi about speculation. People do it ALL THE TIME. It's usually the only way to keep people sane. If folks are going to talk about Geno as if he's in the game, LET THEM. They can get their hopes up and either be disappointed but grateful they discussed it or have their hopes founded and compare notes. There's no harm done, so stop griping at people who speculate. YEESH! :embarrass

Next: where is this comment that Sakurai made about Geno being first party? I'd like to see it.

• Geno is on the Toukoken (Sakurai's Poll) tied with Dedede for the most comments. The Toukoken is NOT a poll but rather the first 290 suggestions and comments sent to Sakurai which, we assume, he found worthy of sharing. In other words, five "votes" does not mean "5 total people voted for this character" but it means Sakurai found five comments/suggestions/etc. that he liked well enough to post on his website that happened to mention the character. I've reviewed the Geno ones myself, and they all mention Geno amongst other characters or in a large discussion of why Mario RPG stuff should be in Smash. END OF DEBATE.
  • Any forum, be it English or Japanese, has a steady and large Geno fanbase. FACT.
  • Geno is a property of Square-Enix but is part of the Mario franchise. When he appears in Mario titles post-Mario RPG he is credited as a property of Square-Enix. Square-Enix has not, to this date, used Geno in any of their own games but has used Mario RPG music in one Square-Enix/Nintendo crossover game (Itadaki Street DS).
  • Square-Enix developed Mario Hoops 3-on-3 for the DS. Nothing from Mario RPG was present in the game, however they were still familiar with the Mario license.
  • The composer for Super Mario RPG is listed under the musicians' credits on the DOJO!!, but under her second franchise she has done music for: Kingdom Hearts.

• We know Sakurai is adding new musicians and credits to the list on the DOJO!! all the time, so adding Mario RPG/Mario & Luigi to Shimomura's credits is not farfetched.
  • SuperMallow of website Super Mario RPG Legacy has stated that he is contact with Nintendo and Square-Enix about Geno and Mario RPG, but will not comment on what he knows. The only hints he has given are that we shouldn't despair and we may end up very happy.
  • Geno's name was cried out at E306 when Smash Bros. Brawl was first unveiled and Sakurai asked for character suggestions from the press.

Interesting, but none of these facts make Geno already confirmed. We'll have to wait.

Machspeed

Smash Lord

• Super Mario RPG 2 for the DS is rumored to be announced very soon by Square-Enix. It will star more Final Fantasy characters. Super Mallow of SMRPG Legacy is on the hunt for information.

He said this in an email response in his email grabbag about questions about Brawl.

I'm sure someone has it saved on the boards SOMEWHERE, but he took it off the japanese site.

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
HELLO? who deleted the (unpronunciabe :p) alliance?
A SmashWiki member. It was deleted because it was useless, doesn't belong on a site that deals with actual Smash gameplay, including smashers, crews, confirmed characters etc. and reeked with fanboyism.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
As a technical note, Yoko did music for more than those two franchises. KH wouldn't have been her second one. (Nor was SMRPG the first) =/
* Samurai Sword (1988)
* Adventures in the Magic Kingdom (1990)
* Nemo (1990)
* King of Dragons (1991)
* Street Fighter 2 (1992) (with Alph Lyra)
* Breath of Fire (1993) (with Yasuaki Fujita (aka Bun Bun), Minae Fujii, and Mari Yamaguchi)
* Street Fighter 2: Championship Edition (1994) (with Alph Lyra)
* Live A Live (1994)
* Front Mission (1995) (with Noriko Matsueda)
* Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (1996) (including arrangements of music by Nobuo Uematsu and Koji Kondo)
* Tobal No. 1 (1996) (with Masashi Hamauzu, Junya Nakano, Yasuhiro Kawami, Kenji Ito, Noriko Matsueda, Ryuji Sasai, and Yasunori Mitsuda)
* Parasite Eve (1998)
* Legend of Mana (1999)
* Kingdom Hearts (2002)
* Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (2003)
* Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (2004)
* Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time (2005)
* Kingdom Hearts II (2005/2006)
* Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner (2006) (with Shinji Hosoe, Hitoshi Sakimoto, Yasunori Mitsuda, Kenji Ito, Masaharu Iwata, Tsukasa Masuko, Yasuyuki Suzuki, Ayako Saso, and Takahiro Ogata)
* Final Fantasy Versus XIII (TBD)
* Heroes of Mana (2007)
* Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008) (with other video game composers)
* Parasite Eve Remixes (1998)
* Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II Premium Arrange (2004) (with Motoi Sakuraba, Takayuki Aihara, Motoaki Furukawa, Shinji Hosoe, Nobuyoshi Sano, Manabu Namiki, Yuri Hiranuma, Masaharu Iwata, Shin Asai, Noriyuki Iwadare and, Kenji Ito
* Dark Chronicle Premium Arrange (2004) (with Motoi Sakuraba, The Black Mages, Noriyuki Iwadare, Yasunori Mitsuda, Shinji Hosoe, and Kenji Ito)
* Rogue Galaxy Premium Arrange (2006) (with Motoi Sakuraba, Noriyuki Iwadare, Kenji Ito, Yasunori Mitsuda, Shinji Hosoe, Takayuki Aihara, Norihiko Hibino, Nobuyoshi Sano, and Yo****aka Hirota)
* murmur (2007) (original album with lyrics and vocals by Chata)

Source

Shadow Star

Smash Apprentice
I have the right to stay here as long as I don't break any rules. This place is fun. Why shouldn't I stay?
Because no one wants you here. You're getting in the way of actual Geno discussion with these stupid arguments about other characters. The way I see it, you ARE breaking rules: You're trolling, being offensive, and going off-topic with this crap about Bowser Jr. and Crono Trigger. Nothing is being done to you because our moderator rather warn people for not having word "Geno" in their posts.

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
Because no one wants you here. You're getting in the way of actual Geno discussion with these stupid arguments about other characters. The way I see it, you ARE breaking rules: You're trolling, being offensive, and going off-topic with this crap about Bowser Jr. and Crono Trigger. Nothing is being done to you because our moderator rather warn people for not having word "Geno" in their posts.
I'm not trolling.

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
honestly everything that could have been possibly discussed has been discussed over ten times. Its getting old. The only thing keeping it alive is the arguing/debating.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
honestly everything that could have been possibly discussed has been discussed over ten times. Its getting old. The only thing keeping it alive is the arguing/debating.
The only thing that keeps EVERY character forum alive is arguing and debating, if you haven't realized. At least once every two weeks, in every character thread, there's always one person who runs in and says they have no chance.

ShadowStar has a fan plot for SMRPG2 and everything though, so just let him speak of it. Geno boards are shrouded in argument on a daily basis.

Shadow Star

Smash Apprentice
I'm not trolling.
Trolling = Intending solely to annoy and/or offend other posters

Your arguments against Geno = Annoying

You = Trolling

If this were a Geno Debate Topic, then you wouldn't be trolling, your arguments would be allowed. So why don't you go find a nice Geno Debate Topic somewhere? I'm sure the people there would LOVE you. Seriously.

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman

You = Trolling

If this were a Geno Debate Topic, then you wouldn't be trolling, your arguments would be allowed. So why don't you go find a nice Geno Debate Topic somewhere? I'm sure the people there would LOVE you. Seriously.
''This guy needs to calm down'' - Masahiro Sakurai

My intent isn't to annoy. I'm not even offensive. You are the only one who is annoyed, and that's your loss. Machspeed said he tolerates me, for example. I know you'd like me to be banned but it's not going to happen.

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road

You = Trolling

he's trolling cause he's voicing his opinion? I didn't know having a different opinion then you wasn't allowed. And this isn't the geno SUPPORT thread so as far as im concerned i can say he won't be in if i want to. If you dont want arguements go somewhere else, they are gonna happen no matter what. Your gonna have to grow up and deal with them. So go ahead whats your idea for the next game?

GenoWhirl_YEAH

Smash Cadet
mathieu and capt falcon, for the sake of my mental health and for the last of my nerves, and for shadow star too, please leave.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
he's trolling cause he's voicing his opinion? I didn't know having a different opinion then you wasn't allowed. And this isn't the geno SUPPORT thread so as far as im concerned i can say he won't be in if i want to. If you dont want arguements go somewhere else, they are gonna happen no matter what. Your gonna have to grow up and deal with them. So go ahead whats your idea for the next game?
Capt Falcon, I'm sure you've heard of the saying treat others like how you would like to be treated.

I'm sure you would be JUST as annoyed if someone entered the Captain Olimar boards on a daily basis and said he wouldn't make it, over and over, saying spots go to other characters, and blah blah blah.

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
Capt Falcon, I'm sure you've heard of the saying treat others like how you would like to be treated.

I'm sure you would be JUST as annoyed if someone entered the Captain Olimar boards on a daily basis and said he wouldn't make it, over and over, saying spots go to other characters, and blah blah blah.
YOU were the one saying competition is good.

Nice try!

Shadow Star

Smash Apprentice
No. I'm just going to stop before I get into an argument.

I'll let you guys have your stupid arguments. But I won't be posting any of my ideas until we can actually have peace here. If some few people posting on the internet can't find peace, then I REALLY feel sorry for the future of this world.

Just ignore me and back to whatever you were doing.

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman

I'll let you guys have your stupid arguments. But I won't be posting any of my ideas until we can actually have peace here. If some few people posting on the internet can't find peace, then I REALLY feel sorry for the future of this world. Oh, great, another teenager who *****es about his ''fate in humanity''. I thought they confined themselves to the gfaqs Brawl board.

I won't spend the day here... Once I'm gone, you can post your ideas.

GenoWhirl_YEAH

Smash Cadet

I'll let you guys have your stupid arguments. But I won't be posting any of my ideas until we can actually have peace here. If some few people posting on the internet can't find peace, then I REALLY feel sorry for the future of this world.

see what you have done:mad: im tired of the *****ing and all the ****ing fighting! please just go back to the sse discussion and geno and all of that i beg you :(

I support Geno for Brawl.
amen :p

Machspeed

Smash Lord
YOU were the one saying competition is good.

Nice try!
Competition is good, but seriously don't run into the thread saying he just won't be in for the mere sake of your opinion.

Half the time, the people who run in present bland facts and just opinions.

Nice try. :)

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
see what you have done im tired of the *****ing and all the ****ing fighting! please just go back to the sse discussion and geno and all of that i beg you

k.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
So all posiblitites...

Mario/Geno Not liekly as of yet until we know what happens to Mario...
Geno/Pit Same reaosn as Mario
Geno/Kirby Same as Mario only with Peach or Zelda
Geno/Princess Could happen if Geno mistakens Wario for Booster and knocks him out and saves the princess
Geno/Yoshi and Link same reaosn as Mario
Geno/DK, Diddy and Fox Could happen since its in a forest...also with Bowser trying to make Diddy or Fox a thropy...
Geno/Ics not going to happen
Geno/ MK not going to happen, sadly the badass team will not form

Geno/Samus Could happen
Geno/Lucas Could happen
Geno/Pokemon Could happen
Geno/Sonic Could happen Smart versus impulsive
Geno/Snake Could happen Wise versus all man
Geno/ Ike Thinking versus Action
Geno/De Written by Shadow Star
Geno/ Wario Geno and Booster-wario

Geno/Game and Watch 2 obscure characters working together!
Geno/Ganon Magic users
Geno/Luigi
Geno/Falcon
Geno/Ness puesdo magic users
Geno/Mewtwo magic users

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
I posted my wanted teams in another page, but it got lost among the arguments, so I'll post them again:

Geno/Mario
Geno/Link
Geno/Sonic
Geno/Pit
or
Geno/MetaKnight

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
That's pretty cool! Geno is awesome! He'll be in for sure!

Hey, I just made a poem on how awesome Geno is!

Geno is cool
Anti-Geno people drool
He scored high in the poll
He's the coolest doll

Is it good? I hope so, because Geno is awesome!

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I'm back! So, what's the current subject?
Yeah, no intent to annoy or insult people. People have gotten banned for manipulating the rules like this before.

@ Mikel, there is no proof that characters will team up in teams of three, so it's either Geno and Mewtwo or Geno and Captain Falcon.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
**** wanted to read Shadow Star's idea

Fav team...to see...would be...Geno and Game and Watch

Top Bottom